Paid early check in. Will Disney ever consider such?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Will Disney ever start charging for an early check in and /or late check out?

My room in Destin was ready last week when we arrived, but they wanted $50 for us to access it one hour early. We declined.

I mean anything is possible. But there are a lot of logistics behind that as it means, presumably, shifting around housekeeping staff to focus on rooms with paid early check in (the late check out option would be easier...but would affect downstream mousekeeping as well). My assumption would be that if they ever did test this out as a revenue stream, there would be a cap on how many they would offer on any given day. That would at least allow them to ensure that they wouldn't fall too far behind. Would be an interesting option to have, even if we never used it. There might be occasions when we would though.

I mean anything is possible. But there are a lot of logistics behind that as it means, presumably, shifting around housekeeping staff to focus on rooms with paid early check in (the late check out option would be easier...but would affect downstream mousekeeping as well). My assumption would be that if they ever did test this out as a revenue stream, there would be a cap on how many they would offer on any given day. That would at least allow them to ensure that they wouldn't fall too far behind. Would be an interesting option to have, even if we never used it. There might be occasions when we would though.
Right. If it was an early entry of at least four hours, that might be worth it. But in Destin, we arrived at 3, and they still wanted $50.
🤣🤣🤣

Right. If it was an early entry of at least four hours, that might be worth it. But in Destin, we arrived at 3, and they still wanted $50.
🤣🤣🤣
That's insane. I wouldn't want to return to a place that wants to charge $50 for checking in an hour early when the room is ready.

We wont be. I have a feeling though that this is going to be the new normal with many hotels in the future. It was a very nice and new La Quinta Inn.

At many hotels, a late checkout may be provided as a courtesy. In some locations, a later checkout can be had for an additional fee.

The issue for the hotel is turning the room. That requires staff. A later checkout shortens the window for getting the room set for the next guest.

If the hotel is at light occupancy, there may be no rush to clean a room because there are “extras“ available.

A hotel may not be interested in collecting money with the higher risk of upsetting a customer if the room isn’t ready when promised.

Some hotels offer “day rates,” giving access to a room and amenities from, say, 10am to 4:30 pm. They then have another customer check in at 6:30 and occupy the same room.

We had an early flight into Vegas in Feb and arrived at 10 am to our hotel. We checked in at the kiosk and was offered a ready room for additional $40. We gladly paid it as we had traveled from east coast and went straight to the room. It worked out great as we could freshen up, drop off luggage and began our vacation plans. I would definitely pay again it we had that early access to our room.

We had an early flight into Vegas in Feb and arrived at 10 am to our hotel. We checked in at the kiosk and was offered a ready room for additional $40. We gladly paid it as we had traveled from east coast and went straight to the room. It worked out great as we could freshen up, drop off luggage and began our vacation plans. I would definitely pay again it we had that early access to our room.
Which hotel was that?

We flew into London and our room was ready at 10 am. We were just planning to drop our bags and go find breakfast.

No charge to check in early. Not sure if that is common or not since it was our first trip but no...I won't pay extra to check in early. We usually get an off property hotel the night before and go to the on property pool to chill or walk DS until our room is ready.

I could see it being both good and bad. Good in the sense you could be certain your room will be ready early upon arrival. But bad as though if you arrive early, theres no chance of that pixie dust happening for you for free any longer.

I think it may be just too difficult to manage for a property as big and complex as Disney based on how hard it is for a small hotel we utilize for sporting events in a nearby city.
We stay regularly at a location that offers an early check in option. An early check out option too
We've added it on a few times when we know we plan to arrive early and it would be nice to have the room. It's not terribly expensive. Which is likely the issue, if many add it on because it's often not able to be honored even when you pay for it when you book. They refund you but it can be a PITA when you hope to have it but then do not.
The reason they can't always honor it due to housekeeping issues. They offer it when you book the room. It isn't always available at booking because it's based on anticipated staffing. What happens is say you book that room 6 months in advance and come your arrival day, staffing has changed 4 times over in those 6 months and they no longer have the numbers needed to turn over the rooms to have them ready early. It's just a huge logistical nightmare and this is for a rather small hotel. Something like Disney would be so complex to arrange what rooms need to be ready early, which means figuring out what guest is leaving earlier so that room can be tagged to be ready for a guest that wants early check in, yada, yada. Can you imagine trying to place guests in rooms just based on arrival/departure now? Trying adding in that part too? I think for that reason alone they'll avoid that can of worms. Now, if there's some magical automated thing that can do it all for them, then maybe. But you still have that whole, will there be enough staff to turn over enough rooms to fill the need of all the rooms sold for early check in issue. That's the one thing that no one can predict

What I do not like about this is the only ones to profit are the hotel. And I get that. Extra money to check in early, extra money to check out later.

However, from the customer point of view, what do I get if I am arriving late. Recently I did both. I was not scheduled to arrive until 11:00 PM, and I departed on the last day just before 6:00 AM. I am sure it was helpful to the hotel, especially knowing I checked out before 6, as that could be a room that was cleaned and ready early.

What bothers me more was in the past year there have been several times that my room was not ready even at check in time. Different hotels (Disney, Marriot, Hilton), different states (FL, TN, CT). One did not even have the room we had reserved (single king size bed), instead giving us a room with two double beds. Aggravating as we were there for a wedding, and needed to get dressed.

Also had a recent overnight stay that I had to cancel. My niece was traveling with us, and got sick. I just needed to get her home. I called the hotel we were going to stay at that night, and said I had to cancel. The woman asked if the reservation was for that evening, and I said it was. She then told me that I would still have to pay for the entire night. I said, ok, I understand. Then she asked if I still wanted to cancel?

Now, I understand they have a policy, and I was calling up after the cancellation deadline. It was right there in black and white. I was hoping they would allow me to cancel out of courtesy, as I do stay there frequently. Can't hurt to ask.

But when she asked me if I still wanted to cancel, my answer was no, not if I have to pay anyway. She then said she did not understand. I explained myself, explained my situation, and said I will not be staying there tonight and I have no issue that I have to pay. But if by the same token, if I am paying for a room, then I am not going to cancel and let you re-rent that room and effectively get paid for it twice. I might as well at least get the points for the night.

In the end, they did cancel the room for me with no charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter