Packing a suitcase with rain in forecast

vicwishes

Mouseketeer
just a tip for packing a soft-sided suitcase during a rainy time of year. Line the inside of the suitcase with a large trash bag and pack everything inside the bag. I pack everything in packing cubes and then put the packing cubes inside a large plastic zippered bag that I got when I bought a comforter. It works great and is a good fit for my suitcase. In a trip to WDW this past May, during a very rainy week, my daughter didn’t use the trash bag trick and everything inside her soft-sided suitcase was either damp or wet when the luggage was delivered to the room after using Magical Express. My clothes were dry in my suitcase, but my rain gear packed in the outside pockets got wet. Clearly, the suitcases sat in the rain before being delivered to the resort. I imagine a lot of people already do something like this bag trick, but it never occurred to me that the entire contents of a suitcase would be so thoroughly dampened until it actually happened to us.

Or just spray the outside of the luggage with Camp Out which you can get at Walmart in the camping section. It will make the luggage waterproof and keeps it from getting dirty as well. That is what we have done and i tested it by pooring a glass of water on the bag and the water just rolled off.

great tip! I stopped using Magical Express when they delivered all my bags soaking wet hours hours and hours after I arrived - which was not a magical trip as the line was exceptionally long and we stood in it for an hour before getting on a bus that delivered us last. I use UBER - dry bags and quick. back to topic I used to use hard-sided bags to stay dry but hate you have to open them flat on both sides to access them so went back to a nice soft-sided. Will definitely use a large comforter bag!

I've done the trash bag thing before as well (and we always use packing cubes too). I was so glad! Saw many totally soaked suitcases!

It was from a mans perspective, They have some very nice fishing attire that is very popular in the south. It keeps you dry, drys fast, and very breathable. In response to your suitcase. We keep Hardshell bags, cheaper ones, but will take it if we know the area we are traveling to is having its "wet season" and there is potential for our bags to get drenched.

I wear nice clothes at Disney: sundresses, light sweater, etc... I do hope fishing clothing was a joke!
Excuse us!!! They are quick drying and light weight clothing apparel for women and men, from Cabela's, LL Bean etc. nice shorts and shirts.

Excuse us!!! They are quick drying and light weight clothing apparel for women and men, from Cabela's, LL Bean etc. nice shorts and shirts.

Oh sorry - I thought you meant like the casual stuff you'd wear actually fishing! I agree with quick drying - some of my sundresses I can wash in a sink and hang to dry, and I've gotten stuff similar to Athleta too, that is light weight and easy to dry.

I still wouldn't want my luggage to get rain-soaked, as I'd have my toiletry bag in there, shoes, etc... Better to start out dry, so the trash bag idea is one I use if rain is called for.

I've seen even checked luggage come around the carousel soaked that was the quilted Vera Bradley little soft duffel - not only were the contents soaked, but that bag needed time to dry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter