Oven bag for cooking turkey?

poohbear158

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of cooking my turkey this year in an oven bag. Does anyone else use this method? If so, what is your recipe and how does the skin turn out? I like a crispy skin on my bird and I'm afraid this method won't give me that. I also like to use different herbs to flavor the bird. I like to try new methods for cooking turkey. I've brined, roasted in foil, had maple flavor (from food tv's Tyler), deep fried etc., but have not cooked in the bag yet.

We've done that for about 10 years. It always turns out great. Very moist, and the skin is crispy. We stuff the turkey with an apple, celery and onions.

We've done it for about 20 years. It does a fantastic job. We follow the directions on the bag and use flour, celery and onion. The broth that combination makes also makes a really good gravy that doesn't need extra broth or anything like that.

I do it as well. I love how moist the turkey comes out. I've never had any trouble with it browning. I love that all the broth stays in the bag instead of evaporating. Just be careful dumping it out!

We stuff the bird with some onions and celery and I rub the skin with herbs.

The turkey always gets rave reviews when we use the bag.

I have also always used the bag and the turkey is moist with crispy skin. It started when I had little ones and I didn't want to have to open and shut the oven to baste the turkey and risk one of the m running into the open oven door. Now, I wouldn't do it any other way. It is fool proof. It does cook a little quicker than a turkey not in the bag does so keep that in mind.

If you don't like the amount of crispness you get from cooking it in the bag you can always take it out and finish it the regular way.

I've done my turkey in the bag for about 4-5 years and I wouldn't do it any other way!:thumbsup2 It's ALWAYS moist and delicious! The skin is crispy and if it's not crispy enough (DH LOVES the crispy skin), we usually just cut open the bag at the top and broil it for a couple minutes. The trick I learned from a chef friend to keep the meat moist and the skin yummy is to slather the meat under the skin before cooking with lots of butter.

Give it a try! You won't be disappointed.

If any of you dont care for the skin, here is a tip I learned.

I cook my turkey in the bag, and I put my turkey in UPSIDE down! This makes for a very moist breast!! mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

We always use a renyolds oven bag and add a few cups of water to it. No need to baste and plenty of juice to make gravy out of. The turkey comes out nice and moist. We also shake some flour around in it before adding the turkey. Nice and easy and no fussing like others said.

I've always used the Reynolds bags and the turkey always turns out perfect.

I always use the Reynolds bag and a can of Swanson chicken broth.

Sandy

Always use the bag and won't cook turkey any other way! Love the idea of upside down..might give that a go! I never put in any liquids, just shake around some flour.

We do this every year. It does not get crispy. Brown yes, crunchy/cracking skin no, which works for us because we just peel it off. It does however make a really juicy tender bird.

I always cook mine in a bag... LOVE the results I have never had a problem with one... keeps meat mosit... good skin... cooks faster too... this year I also bought a really cool roasting pan that lifts the bird off the bottom of the pan I hope this helps the bottom not be squishy... LOL... but yes the bag is GREAT...

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a great cook (barely adequate ;)), but when our extended family used to get together for Thanksgiving, I always volunteered to cook the turkey (which amazed everybody because it was such a big job - they would all get up early and do all that basting :rolleyes1). I had comment after comment on how good it was.

I ALWAYS cooked it in a Reynolds bag and just follwed their directions. Soooo easy and so moist! Great turkey - sure made me look good! :thumbsup2

Yup, every time I make a turkey I use an oven bag, heck if I'm making a whole chicken I use an oven bag! :) They are awesome!!!!!! I always rub butter all over the skin, and inject some under the skin too, melted butter of course. :) I then put 1 or 2 quartered onions and at least 1 clove of garlic in the bag with the turkey and add a little chicken broth, not too much because it's juicy enough on it's own. Sooooooooooooo good!!!! I'm pretty sure I'll be making Christmas dinner this year so I'll be using this method if we go with a turkey. :)

I have used the reynolds bag with success. Shove a peeled onion up its rear, stick some butter and herbs UNDER the skin carefully and it turns out perfect. The skin isn't crunchy crispy, but it browns and tastes good.

I love the bags..but my question is how big of a turkey will fit? We get 25-26 pound turkey. I am afraid the bag wont be big enough...it barley fits in my pan:rotfl:

I made a 28 pound turkey in the turkey sized bag last year. Yeah, I had to get a new roasting pan too! I have a lot of people coming and we LOVE turkey leftovers, so it would be dumb of us NOT to get a big turkey.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest