Our First Family Disney Trip… Take Two! - May 2024 PTR (Update 5/7 x2 - Planning Update + Day 1 Plans)

So glad to see you back on the DIS!! We will just miss each other- we're at WDW May 9-19!!! All of your plans sound amazing so far- that is quite the list of ADRS! I'm also so glad you were able to rearrange things and visit F&G- we are so excited for this and planning out all of our food booth stops already :)

Thanks, Molly! Thank you so much for joining in - we have very similar upcoming trips! :)

Yes, I may have an ADR problem. :rotfl: Disney dining is one of my FAVORITE parts of the trip and now I’m used to planning them this way. It will be a different lineup than I’m used to (I love character meals but we’re going to SO MANY… and not a single regular signature restaurant!), but I think it will be so much fun. The forced break and all the water/iced tea that goes with it will be delightful - plus I’m excited I won’t have to search and pounce for as many tables and high chairs!

I’m ridiculously exited for Flower & Garden! I LOVED this festival during my last visit in 2016 and I picked our dates specifically so we could attend. I’d have loved to have come in late April or early May for better weather and lesser crowds, but late May will do. Thank goodness we’re not coming in June and missing out!

I followed several mutual Dis Friends over. We follow a few of the same reports.

I'm so excited for your first family trip. I've really enjoyed reading about your planning. You have 2 great resorts books and lots of great meals planned. Have your worked out in what order you're going to try to book? I remember the excitement of planning my strategy for getting those hard to book meal. The best year was the year I had both daughters helping me. We were all logged into our MDE and had a list of what to shoot for first, divide and conquer. The last few trips we haven't had as much stress but I'm thinking it's time for another big family trip.

Looking forward to more as you get closer.

Thank you so much for joining, Vanessa! I read along (but I think failed to comment?) on your fall trip report with your daughters from a few years ago. It looks like you had so much fun and I loved your Halloween party costumes! I’ll be a better commenter from now on! :goodvibes

Planning for Disney World is one of my favorite parts of the trip! I’m super excited about both of our resorts (and still can’t believe we’re staying at them!) and also excited about several new dining locations. I’ve done some reconnaissance (thank you, children, for waking me up at odd hours!) and it seems my first booking priorities are Topolino’s, both ‘Ohana meals, CRT, Artist Point, and Beaches and Cream. I would guess 1900 Park Fare will also be challenging to book as it will have just returned. The “booking party” with your daughters sounded fun! I would love that but think I’ll be booking on my own - my husband doesn’t understand the fun stress of booking Disney dining reservations. :laughing:

Thankfully many of the others (Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, even the pre-dessert party) shouldn’t be hard to book as long as I book them sometime on my first booking day. I’ve always been able to book everything I’ve wanted for dining but I’m used to booking 180 days out - I’m sure there’s more competition at 60 days!

More plans to come soon… I’ll take any advice you have as you’ve been there much more recently than me!

Just found this pre-trip report but it sounds so exciting!! We LOVE sit-down meals. I mean, we don't do more than one a day but when you take longer trips it is so nice to have some good rest and good food! Mostly I just don't like the quick service table hunt situation. It makes me anxious to think I won't have a seat to eat. So I am impressed by your choices! We just did Woody's and we loved it! I think it would be so fun for the little ones.

Thank you so much for joining, Amber!

Disney TS restaurants are one of my favorite parts of Disney trips. I’m rather proud of myself that my latest daily plans only include one or two restaurants per day - I’v had past trips with four! :laughing:

Searching for tables (and more importantly for our current stage, high chairs) does NOT sound fun to me and is exactly why I prefer table service. I appreciate your recommendation of Roundup Rodeo BBQ (which I think is what you mean instead of Woody’s Lunch Box, although that looks tasty, too!). If you did mean RR BBQ, did you find it dark and/or loud with the overhead speaker announcements? I’m not sure if my two younger kids would like that or not, although the theming looks incredible!

Beach and Poly are the two my 12-year-old is begging for (we just recently stayed at Boardwalk, which I adore) so I am excited to hear which one you prefer. We typically rent DVC points from a friend or have used the websites you mentioned. So much cheaper than paying cash!

Renting points is absolutely the way to go - so much more reasonable! I’m so pumped that we get to stay at these two resorts… it’s a dream come true!

Finally, I wanted to add that we waited until my daughters were older to take our first trip (they were 4 and 6.5) and I honestly regret not taking them sooner. They just LOVED it so much. Now we go almost yearly (between WDW, DCL, and now DL next month) but my years are running out as my oldest is almost 16 and they are both super involved with school and sports. So treasure it!!

Thank you! :goodvibes I wish we could’ve taken M sooner (thanks pandemic!) but I’m so excited to be going with both girls. M is SO excited (almost as much as her mommy!) and I think L will be taken by several things as well. It will be a very special trip!

I just need to remind myself to chill out when things go awry so I can get my husband to return :laughing: - yearly Disney trips would be incredible!

Just my two cents on ADRs....

On our first trip with the boys in 2009 we had a very similar line up planned. And it worked well for the first day or two. The we were SO full. We were full when we went to bed. We were still full when we woke up. We began to feel that we never needed to eat again. We left 11 TS credits and 43 snack credits because we just couldn't eat any more food. That being said, here's what I might consider....

Magic Kingdom (morning and evening) with afternoon break
B - Crystal Palace (MK)
L - Skipper’s Canteen (MK)
D - Be Our Guest (MK) or 1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian) if reopened?
Crystal Palace is super filling. I would definitely skip Skippers Canteen unless you are just going to grab soup/salad/appies. If they are still doing the pareade with Eyeore at CP it is one of the cutest things EVER!
D - Boma (AKL) + Fireworks Dessert Party (MK)
I would pick one or the other. The fireworks dessert party is expensive so you want to get your money's worth from it. And the Boma dinner buffet is so delicious you will want to eat ALL the things leaving you no room for the treats at the dessert party.
Day 6 - Tuesday, May 28th
Epcot (morning), move to Beach Club Villas, Hollywood Studios (evening and Fantasmic)

B - Garden Grill (Epcot)
L - Via Napoli (Epcot)
D - Sci-Fi Dine-In or 50’s Prime Time (HS - Fant
Garden Grill breakfast is massive. It is served family style and they will bring you as much as you like. If you have room to even have a sip of water after that meal, you are super human. So I would probably save Via Napoli for another time.

With small humans I would go with 50's. Much easier to navigate than eating at Sci-Fi. Although I do love Sc-Fi. Just maybe save it for a later trip.

Chef Mickey’s (Contemporary) The perfect vacation kickoff with the fab five!

His favorite vacation destination is the National Parks - the above picture is from Rocky Mountain National Park.
Following along! I love collecting National Parks similar to collecting Disney resorts 🤣 Would love to visit them all!
(I wrote a detailed description of my point rental experience in my 2020 pre-trip report and the process hasn’t changed – take a peek over there if you’re interested in the point rental process.)
Thank you for sharing that! Going to read that post next, I've always been curious about how the point rental process actually works.
The Wilderness Lodge.

Not only are their rates less nausea-inducing than the Poly rack rates, but the resort is also beautiful and super close to the Magic Kingdom. The Wilderness Lodge also has great restaurants and a fun pool, not to mention a “national park-esque” theme that should appeal to my husband. True, it wouldn’t be as convenient as a monorail resort, but it was much closer than other non-monorail resorts.
The WL is my favorite and would have been a great choice! The boat to MK is an awesome option there.
WE WERE IN AT THE POLY!!!
Woohoo! That is SO exciting!!
*Yes, I realize we did pay for those tickets back in 2019, but it’s been so long it felt like free money.
That does make it free now, right?? Not coming out of this year's budget!
One of my favorite parts of Disney planning is planning our Disney schedule. I know one reason people don’t like Disney is the amount of planning involved… but I LOVE it. The park plans, the must-dos, the ADRs… creating lists and dreaming of the food I can eat is my idea of a good time.
Same!! I love the planning almost as much as actually being at Disney.
D - 1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian)
*Hooray, this is reopening! I'll miss the Tremaines but M is VERY excited for the character line-up.
We're just going to miss the opening! I've still never eaten there and really sad I will not get to dine with the Tremaines. But would still like to go on a future trip.
B - Cape May Cafe (Beach Club) or Trattoria al Forno (Boardwalk)
*C'mon Disney, bring back the characters to Trattoria al Forno!
I was hoping for the same! Aside from Topolino's, the Rapunzel breakfast was my other favorite on property. It was so fun to meet Prince Eric and Eugene!

Sorry it took so long to catch up! You're trip is getting closer and closer! How excited are the kids? Once dining is booked the trip feels so much more real.

Most importantly, we're going to make it to Epcot before the end of the Flower & Garden Festival!

I think everyone was confused when Disney ended the festival earlier than normal, but I'm glad you'll be able to catch the end of it!

I think we'll eat a "brunch" at Crystal Palace instead of an early seating to maximize attraction time,

You can knock out a lot of attractions in the morning, so it's a smart plan!

*Hooray, this is reopening! I'll miss the Tremaines but M is VERY excited for the character line-up.

I'm happy to see 1900 Park Fare open again! It was kind of nuts that it had yet to reopen after Covid.

Garden Grill
*Moved from lunch to breakfast

I've heard this is a delicious place to have breakfast!

Topolino’s Terrace (Riviera)

Great choice. One of the best restaurants.

Satu'li Canteen if we decide to stick with Boma.

I support Satu'li. :rotfl: Plus, there's lots of kid-friendly dishes.

*We would've eaten Via Napoli regardless,

I approve. :rotfl2::rotfl:

*C'mon Disney, bring back the characters to Trattoria al Forno!

I miss that character breakfast so much! My kids still talk about meeting the princes and that was 5 years ago.

Following along! I love collecting National Parks similar to collecting Disney resorts 🤣 Would love to visit them all!

Welcome, Jessica! Thank you so much for joining in - I’d love any advice as this is my first trip to Disney World with my young kids!

Yes, so would we! I’ve enjoyed visiting them much more with my husband than my parents as we do a lot more hiking and exploring than I did when I was younger. My mom’s cousin actually accomplished visiting every National Park - goals!

Thank you for sharing that! Going to read that post next, I've always been curious about how the point rental process actually works.

You’re welcome! Renting points was economically the best way to go - as long as you have nerves of steel and a little patience, it can work!

The WL is my favorite and would have been a great choice! The boat to MK is an awesome option there.

The WL would’ve been wonderful (it’s a beautiful resort and I’m looking forward to visiting it for dinner!) but rolling the stroller right onto the monorail was a HUGE draw.

Plus the pulled pork nachos… I’m SO excited to finally try those!

Woohoo! That is SO exciting!!

:woohoo:

We're just going to miss the opening! I've still never eaten there and really sad I will not get to dine with the Tremaines. But would still like to go on a future trip.

That’s a bummer! I must admit I was sad that the characters changed as I loved the Happy Ever After Dinner when I went in 2015. Nonetheless, meeting Aladdin will be fun and M is VERY excited to meet Mirabelle. I’m excited to see what the food changes are, too!

I was hoping for the same! Aside from Topolino's, the Rapunzel breakfast was my other favorite on property. It was so fun to meet Prince Eric and Eugene!

I think everyone wants this breakfast to return! I never had a chance to try it (I haven’t eaten there since it was Kouzzina, and that was delicious!) but I’d drop Cafe May Cafe in a heartbeat if it would return!

Sorry it took so long to catch up! You're trip is getting closer and closer! How excited are the kids? Once dining is booked the trip feels so much more real.

No worries - thrilled to see you here! M is SO excited… we’ve been watching more attractions on YouTube and talking about how many days we have to go. Just 22 more days until Disney Dining Day (so just 22 more days to change my mind about things! :laughing:)

I think everyone was confused when Disney ended the festival earlier than normal, but I'm glad you'll be able to catch the end of it!

Surely it must mean they’re planning another event for the summer? I can’t see Disney turning down revenue that these festivals generate.

But yes, I’m so glad we’re not arriving after it’s over and we could rearrange our schedules to enjoy the event. M is very excited to see the topiaries (and so am I!).

You can knock out a lot of attractions in the morning, so it's a smart plan!

Thanks! As much as I love a PPO breakfast (frankly, the challenge of completing a PPO breakfast is one of the main things I dislike about the new opening procedures and early hours), I think it makes more sense to take advantage of the short lines. If we can knock out most of Fantasyland without any Lightning Lanes in the first hour or two that should put us way ahead for the rest of the day.

I'm happy to see 1900 Park Fare open again! It was kind of nuts that it had yet to reopen after Covid.

Me, too! I was hopeful that it would reopen as they were wrapping up the Grand Floridian Lobby. I think their character selection is a little odd (I get the theme, but still a strange collection) but I think it will be fun regardless.

Now they just have to reopen the Grand Floridian Tea Room - I’d love to do that with my girls someday!

I've heard this is a delicious place to have breakfast!

I’m very excited about dining there! I had lunch there back in 2007 and it was great. I wish they still had the cinnamon roll skillet for my cinnamon roll-loving family, but it still looks very good. My kids will be excited about the watermelon - and I’m excited about Chip and Dale!

Great choice. One of the best restaurants.

It will be a challenge to nab an ADR here as it’s on the second day of our second reservation (darn split stays!), but I’m willing to stalk the reservation system if I don’t get one right away. I’ve found there’s usually an opening or two the night before, too. This restaurant looks so good and I’d LOVE to see the Riviera (and that view!).

I support Satu'li. :rotfl: Plus, there's lots of kid-friendly dishes.

Satu’li looks SO good. I’m trying to figure out how I could eat there and Tusker House… (I wouldn’t put it past me to try!) :rotfl:

I approve. :rotfl2::rotfl:

It’s the best! I’ve eaten there on every trip since 2012 - I can’t break my streak!

I miss that character breakfast so much! My kids still talk about meeting the princes and that was 5 years ago.

It seems everyone misses that breakfast - the characters are so good! Plus, I’ve heard nothing but great things about the food. My fingers are crossed but I’m not entirely optimistic. At least I got 1900 Park Fare back into the mix!

It will be a challenge to nab an ADR here as it’s on the second day of our second reservation (darn split stays!), but I’m willing to stalk the reservation system if I don’t get one right away. I’ve found there’s usually an opening or two the night before, too.

The two times I have eaten at Toppolino's, I've managed to grab a reservation closer to our trip. The first was a few weeks out, the second time it was days beforehand. All that to say, don't be discouraged if there's nothing available at the 60 day window!

The two times I have eaten at Toppolino's, I've managed to grab a reservation closer to our trip. The first was a few weeks out, the second time it was days beforehand. All that to say, don't be discouraged if there's nothing available at the 60 day window!

I really appreciate this - thank you!

I was up very early this morning (why, L… why?!) so I used the opportunity to do a “mock” dining reservation day test run. Most hard-to-get restaurants had some availability at 60 days even if not at perfect times (‘Ohana breakfast and dinner, Artist Point, Beaches and Cream, Cinderella’s Royal Table) but there were ZERO ADRs for Topolino’s breakfast. At least I’ll get one day ahead of the day guests thanks to our resort stay, but I’m willing to scout for reservations if I have to. ;) It’s a shame the reservation finders no longer work with the way Disney changed their dining reservation setup - this is the one time I may have used one!

Just my two cents on ADRs....

On our first trip with the boys in 2009 we had a very similar line up planned. And it worked well for the first day or two. The we were SO full. We were full when we went to bed. We were still full when we woke up. We began to feel that we never needed to eat again. We left 11 TS credits and 43 snack credits because we just couldn't eat any more food. That being said, here's what I might consider....

I really appreciate any and all feedback!

Would you believe I’ve usually booked (and kept!) 2-3 TS reservations per day on my last four trips?! I really like dining in the restaurants and find I’m better at hydrating when I’m forced to sit down. :laughing:

That said, I’ve not been to Disney World with young kids so I’m going to adapt my usual dining style a bit. I’ve changed around our park days so now we’re not doing more than 2 TS per day - one breakfast/brunch/lunch and one dinner. I think this will work better for us and still give us breaks and a guaranteed table.

Crystal Palace is super filling. I would definitely skip Skippers Canteen unless you are just going to grab soup/salad/appies. If they are still doing the pareade with Eyeore at CP it is one of the cutest things EVER!

My favorite Magic Kingdom lineup which I did nearly every time was an 8:00 breakfast at Crystal Palace and a 12:00 lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. This is when LTT was a la carte for lunch and I’d get a salad or a burger - it was perfect!

Our plan now is to do a late “brunch” ADR at Crystal Palace to take advantage of shorter lines during early hours and then go to Skipper Canteen another night for dinner. I think this should work better!

I would pick one or the other. The fireworks dessert party is expensive so you want to get your money's worth from it. And the Boma dinner buffet is so delicious you will want to eat ALL the things leaving you no room for the treats at the dessert party.

I’m not thrilled about the current price of the dessert party (I remember when it used to be $40 pp!), but I’m absolutely booking the dessert party to get the prime seating. That said, I didn’t love this plan either as trekking from either Animal Kingdom or AKL back to MK seemed like a challenge. And even though I’m booking the party to get a good view I still wanted to eat the desserts!

Our plan now is to spend the morning at Epcot, return to the Poly for a break, and then return to MK for dinner at Skipper Canteen before our dessert party. This is a great spot to move Skipper Canteen as we can get a single entree or appetizer instead of an all-you-can-eat option at most of the other MK restaurants.

Garden Grill breakfast is massive. It is served family style and they will bring you as much as you like. If you have room to even have a sip of water after that meal, you are super human. So I would probably save Via Napoli for another time.

We’re now switching Garden Grill to a mid-morning meal just like Crystal Palace - then we can hit the Flower & Garden booths for a roaming lunch!

With small humans I would go with 50's. Much easier to navigate than eating at Sci-Fi. Although I do love Sc-Fi. Just maybe save it for a later trip.

That’s my thinking as well. My oldest daughter thinks Sci-Fi looks great, but I think it will be an easier restaurant once both girls are older.

Chef Mickey’s (Contemporary) The perfect vacation kickoff with the fab five!

I’ve never eaten here, but agree it’s a great choice to kick off our trip. Even if the food is mediocre the Fab Five can’t be beat!

Would you believe I’ve usually booked (and kept!) 2-3 TS reservations per day on my last four trips?! I really like dining in the restaurants and find I’m better at hydrating when I’m forced to sit down. :laughing:
You are a dining rockstar!! I have a Brita refillable water bottle with me at all times so I literally keep drinking water all day. The other thing I find super helpful are the Noom hydration n
That being said, I’ve not been to Disney World with young kids so I’m going to adapt my usual dining style a bit. I’ve changed around our park days so now we’re not doing more than 2 TS per day - one breakfast/brunch/lunch and one dinner. I think this will work better for us and still give us breaks and a guaranteed table.
That sounds perfect! Plus a big breakfast/brunch will fuel you for fun in the parks and allow you to try the festival booth/more substantial snacks.
Our plan now is to do a late “brunch” ADR at Crystal Palace to take advantage of shorter lines during early hours and then go to Skipper Canteen another night for dinner. I think this should work better!
Great plan! Pooh and friends are so, so adorable!!!!
I’m not thrilled about the current price of the dessert party (I remember when it used to be $40 pp!), but I’m absolutely booking the dessert party to get the prime seating. That said, I didn’t love this plan either as trekking from either Animal Kingdom or AKL back to MK seemed like a challenge. And even though I’m booking the party to get a good view I still wanted to eat the desserts!
I think that will work well. Try to get to the dessert party as early as possible to grab a good seat. Are you doing Seats and Sweets? Or the pre/post party? I did Seats and sweets in August and it was perfection!!
Our plan now is to spend the morning at Epcot, return to the Poly for a break, and then return to MK for dinner at Skipper Canteen before our dessert party. This is a great spot to move Skipper Canteen as we can get a single entree or appetizer instead of an all-you-can-eat option at most of the other MK restaurants.
Skippers has so many yummy appies to order for the table and share. I also really love their house salad.
We’re now switching Garden Grill to a mid-morning meal just like Crystal Palace - then we can hit the Flower & Garden booths for a roaming lunch!
Awesome plan! When you mentioned Garden Grill I had major FOMO and booked the breakfast as part of the Garden Rocks show for the last Modern English performance. Nothing better than breakfast with Farmer Mickey, Chip, Dale and Pluto!
I’ve never eaten here, but agree it’s a great choice to kick off our trip. Even if the food is mediocre the Fab Five can’t be beat!
I've heard that the food has definitely improved. My favourite memory from Chef Mickey's is my then new 8 year old twins hiding under the table while their older brother (and the whole restaurant) enthusiastically sang happy birthday to them.

Suggestion for a trip with small kiddos - consider bringing noise cancelling headphones for you 18 month old. My children were pretty wild kids and not much bothered them, but the volume / noise during shows and even sometimes the restaurants somehow got to them. We didn’t bring noise cancelling headphones but we improvised with the headphones they used on the airplane and it worked wonders!

You are a dining rockstar!! I have a Brita refillable water bottle with me at all times so I literally keep drinking water all day. The other thing I find super helpful are the Noom hydration n

Dining rockstar, total crazy person... (potato, potahto?) :rotfl:

But thank you! It all started back in 2012 when my sister and I did a trip with the Deluxe Dining Plan. That was way too much food, but we loved eating at all the restaurants. On our next two trips, we ditched the dining plan and split more meals - but ate at a similar number of restaurants. It worked well for us!

I hope I'll be better about drinking water this time as we'll carry refillable water bottles on the stroller. Taking a stroller does have advantages!

I think that will work well. Try to get to the dessert party as early as possible to grab a good seat. Are you doing Seats and Sweets? Or the pre/post party? I did Seats and sweets in August and it was perfection!!

I've gone back and forth - the original version of the dessert party was essentially Seats and Sweets and I really enjoyed it, but HEA has many more castle projections than Wishes. As I've never seen HEA I think we'll aim for the pre-party this time to get a more central view. Next time, though, I'd love to return to Seats and Sweets!

I also really love their house salad.

Good to know, thank you!

Awesome plan! When you mentioned Garden Grill I had major FOMO and booked the breakfast as part of the Garden Rocks show for the last Modern English performance. Nothing better than breakfast with Farmer Mickey, Chip, Dale and Pluto!

Those characters really are excellent! The breakfast looks very good, too - I'm excited to eat there.

I've heard that the food has definitely improved. My favourite memory from Chef Mickey's is my then new 8 year old twins hiding under the table while their older brother (and the whole restaurant) enthusiastically sang happy birthday to them.

I've heard that as well from more recent dining reviews - I'll take it!

Oh my goodness, that is adorable! Poor kids... but what a memory! :goodvibes

Suggestion for a trip with small kiddos - consider bringing noise cancelling headphones for you 18 month old. My children were pretty wild kids and not much bothered them, but the volume / noise during shows and even sometimes the restaurants somehow got to them. We didn’t bring noise cancelling headphones but we improvised with the headphones they used on the airplane and it worked wonders!

I've heard of that tip, but that's a great reminder! I'm going to add that to my planning/packing list. I have one set of noise-cancelling headphones but wonder if I should get a second set so there's one for each girl... my oldest isn't always fond of loud noises, either.

Also, welcome! Thank you for joining in!

Room Decisions and Late-Night Quandaries
a.k.a. I'd love room request and After-Hours advice!

I'm stumped on two (somewhat major-ish?) things and would love some feedback!

First, I'm stumped on my room requests for both resorts.

I've usually been pretty lucky on the room request front, but I tend to request pretty general things. My most frequent request is a higher floor (which I've always been granted) and occasionally a specific section of a resort (such as when I requested and got the mansions at Port Orleans Riverside).

For the Polynesian Villas, my first instinct is to request Tokelau so we're closer to the volcano pool and the Great Ceremonial House. I'd also love to avoid extra noise from the TTC (specifically the big boat that runs to Magic Kingdom) and also wouldn't love a view of the parking lot in the back of Pago Pago.

For the Beach Club Villas, I'd love to face Crescent Lake but would be happy with an Epcot view (basically anything other than the BCV pool in case it gets noisy). I'd also love a bigger balcony as we'll be spending time out there due to a napping baby. What should I prioritize?

For both, I don't know if I should stick with my usual higher floor (I hate hearing people tromp above me!) or if a ground floor room would be easier with a stroller (and for the other parent to come and go with snacks during naptime).

Any thoughts? Especially from someone who's stayed at either resort?

Second, I don't know whether to pick MK EEH or HS After Hours for my evening alone.

One dream I have for this vacation is to spend one super-late evening in the parks by myself. I LOVE being in the parks at night - everything is beautiful with the lights and the low wait times are awesome.

All along I'd planned to go to the extended hours at Magic Kingdom. MK is my favorite nighttime park - many of my favorite Disney memories are running around during the MK EMH. The MK EEH also includes so many more attractions than Epcot, including many that I may not get a chance to ride during the day (Space Mountain, BTMRR, Tron) or would love to ride again (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Peter Pan). I'd penciled in my attendance at MK's EEH, which will likely be on the Wednesday* of our trip.

Then Disney went and offered an After Hours event at Hollywood Studios. On Wednesday. :sad2:

Although I love MK, the Studios has WAY more thrill rides that I'd love to experience multiple times. I'd love to ride (my favorite!) Tower of Terror multiple times, plus I'd love to see both Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge at night (and more rides on TSM would be awesome, too!).

I'm torn. I've thought about a late night in MK for months... but multiple rides on ToT and TSM would be amazing. One positive for MK is it would be free, but I'd be able to walk back to the Beach Club from Hollywood Studios.

Argh. Disney, how could you do this to me?! :headache:

*This is all assuming Disney keeps the MK EEH on Wednesday, which isn't confirmed until they release the schedule next month. I don't think my husband would be excited if I was gone for two nights if they moved MK EEH to another day, so I'll have to pick one anyway. (And heck, I'm getting old... I don't know that I could do both!) :rotfl:

Honestly, there's no bad choice... but what would you do? Pay for the After Hours ticket and ride multiple thrill rides? Or use my deluxe resort perk and enjoy more classic attractions at MK?

Help!

Up Next: Mickey Mail

Last edited:
Any thoughts? Especially from someone who's stayed at either resort?
I haven’t stayed at either resort, but I usually look at Touring Plans recommendations for rooms! I personally would lean toward 1st floor with a stroller just for ease and not having to worry about waiting on an elevator (been there many times). But I would only ask for 1st floor in a quieter area, not right outside the pool or anything like that.
Honestly, there's no bad choice... but what would you do? Pay for the After Hours ticket and ride multiple thrill rides? Or use my deluxe resort perk and enjoy more classic attractions at MK?
No bad choice! I would also have a really hard time making the decision but would lean toward MK. Partly because you already paid for it (with Deluxe) but also because lines might be lower with more rides for the crowd to spread out across. I think there are only 8 rides at HS AH (and some of them go down frequently) so you might get more done at MK.

I also dream of multiple drops on ToT but we’re paying a lot to not be guaranteed that will happen. I would equally like to ride Space Mountain, Tron and BTM (and maybe 7DMT?) on repeat! And you get the classics there. But like you said, really no bad option.

Definitely MK for the deluxe extended hours. There is nothing more magical than being in MK at night. :)

I think you'd be happy with either MK or DHS. From a cost/value perspective, I think you'll be able to get more rides accomplished at MK. With the number of attractions open, even if the After Hours party is sold out, there won't be waits for anything. I've only done the MK one, but I imagine both are fun and you'll enjoy whichever you pick.

The only suggestion I have for rooms is a lower floor if you have strollers. I am like you in that I like to be on the highest floor, but trust me, after a long day at the parks you will NOT want to have to take those extra steps!!

And yes, I totally meant the Roundup Rodeo BBQ and not Woody's Lunchbox! Although Lunchbox was delicious (we had the breakfast totchos) it was very chaotic and hard to find a seat! We did BBQ for dinner and I wouldn't say it was too loud or dark, it had moments where they would yell things but I remember thinking it was "milder" than I was expecting. Sadly my husband had a migraine that night and he couldn't even touch his meal, even though they brought out enough for him to eat (since it's all you care to eat.) They were so kind, they took his meal off the ticket. If you are a Toy Story fan at all, the details inside are worth a visit!

I love taking the boat from HS to Beach Club at night, so that would be my vote!

Thank you so much for joining, Vanessa! I read along (but I think failed to comment?) on your fall trip report with your daughters from a few years ago. It looks like you had so much fun and I loved your Halloween party costumes! I’ll be a better commenter from now on! :goodvibes

Please comment when you can. I should be closing that report out soon, but starting another one.

I’ve done some reconnaissance (thank you, children, for waking me up at odd hours!) and it seems my first booking priorities are Topolino’s, both ‘Ohana meals, CRT, Artist Point, and Beaches and Cream. I would guess 1900 Park Fare will also be challenging to book as it will have just returned.

Happy to hear you're prepared. There is nothing like that feeling of accomplishment when you get the ADRs you want.

The “booking party” with your daughters sounded fun! I would love that but think I’ll be booking on my own - my husband doesn’t understand the fun stress of booking Disney dining reservations. :laughing:

My DH has never helped me either. He does take interest afterwards in finding out what we got but promptly forgets and has to ask over and over.

Michelle now has 3 little ones, so she hasn't been much help with the "booking party".

I'm sorry I'm not much help with room requests but I do agree that having a 1st floor will help with the strollers. We're looking at a short trip with the 3 boys this summer and that would be my priority.

I haven’t stayed at either resort, but I usually look at Touring Plans recommendations for rooms! I personally would lean toward 1st floor with a stroller just for ease and not having to worry about waiting on an elevator (been there many times). But I would only ask for 1st floor in a quieter area, not right outside the pool or anything like that.

Yes, I’ve done exactly that! Interestingly, the only “quiet” rooms in Tokelau are on the second and third floors (perhaps due to foot traffic and the quiet pool?) so I’m stumped on whether I put pick ease over quiet? I’ve never actually had a noisy room at Disney World so it may not matter - but perhaps I’ve always been lucky!

Humorously, the BCV do not have any rooms that qualify under their “quiet” parameter. Perhaps because the Epcot fireworks and the BCV pool? Argh, what to do…

No bad choice! I would also have a really hard time making the decision but would lean toward MK. Partly because you already paid for it (with Deluxe) but also because lines might be lower with more rides for the crowd to spread out across. I think there are only 8 rides at HS AH (and some of them go down frequently) so you might get more done at MK.

I also dream of multiple drops on ToT but we’re paying a lot to not be guaranteed that will happen. I would equally like to ride Space Mountain, Tron and BTM (and maybe 7DMT?) on repeat! And you get the classics there. But like you said, really no bad option.

I think you’re right that DHS might be more problematic, especially if rides go down. There are so many options in MK that I shouldn’t have any trouble finding something to ride!

Definitely MK for the deluxe extended hours. There is nothing more magical than being in MK at night.

Thank you for the vote! It seems most are leaning toward MK. And honestly, I think I am, too!

I think you'd be happy with either MK or DHS. From a cost/value perspective, I think you'll be able to get more rides accomplished at MK. With the number of attractions open, even if the After Hours party is sold out, there won't be waits for anything. I've only done the MK one, but I imagine both are fun and you'll enjoy whichever you pick.

I believe you’re right - there are so many more attractions open at MK EEH than at DHS. I’m starting to lean toward MK… I just love MK at night.

Last edited:
The only suggestion I have for rooms is a lower floor if you have strollers. I am like you in that I like to be on the highest floor, but trust me, after a long day at the parks you will NOT want to have to take those extra steps!!

I appreciate that feedback! Traveling with a stroller in Disney World is new to me.

And yes, I totally meant the Roundup Rodeo BBQ and not Woody's Lunchbox! Although Lunchbox was delicious (we had the breakfast totchos) it was very chaotic and hard to find a seat! We did BBQ for dinner and I wouldn't say it was too loud or dark, it had moments where they would yell things but I remember thinking it was "milder" than I was expecting. Sadly my husband had a migraine that night and he couldn't even touch his meal, even though they brought out enough for him to eat (since it's all you care to eat.) They were so kind, they took his meal off the ticket. If you are a Toy Story fan at all, the details inside are worth a visit!

I really appreciate your review of Rodeo Roundup! The restaurant looks SO cool and we love BBQ - the lighting and the comments about noise were giving me pause as both of those can sometimes bother my kids. I’ll need to find somewhere to fit it in, but the more I think about it the more I think we’d love another evening in DHS. Although I hate to miss out on a visit to AKL, it may make more sense to eat in DHS rather than Boma if we’re heading back to the studios.

I love taking the boat from HS to Beach Club at night, so that would be my vote!

Would you believe the boats and the skyliner are not running at the end of After Hours?! They both stop running one hour after regular park close. My only option is to take a bus (or to walk as I’ll be at the Beach Club). I would love to take the boat at least once to DHS (assuming I can tear my daughter away from the skyliner!).

Please comment when you can. I should be closing that report out soon, but starting another one.

I will, I promise! I look forward to your next report, too!

Happy to hear you're prepared. There is nothing like that feeling of accomplishment when you get the ADRs you want.

Isn’t that the truth?! I’ve been very lucky to book everything I want on a Disney trip, but I think it will be more challenging to book at 60 days than at 180 days. Not as many people had their act together (or even knew they were going on a trip) six months out.

I think staying on site should allow me to book nearly everything, but Topolino’s brunch is the biggest question mark. We’ll see how it shakes out!

My DH has never helped me either. He does take interest afterwards in finding out what we got but promptly forgets and has to ask over and over.

Michelle now has 3 little ones, so she hasn't been much help with the "booking party".

I'm sorry I'm not much help with room requests but I do agree that having a 1st floor will help with the strollers. We're looking at a short trip with the 3 boys this summer and that would be my priority.

It’s nice that your husband is interested! Even if he forgets. :laughing:

No worries about the room requests! It seems the consensus is to request a first floor room with a stroller. I appreciate that feedback as I’ve never used a stroller in Disney World!

Would you believe the boats and the skyliner are not running at the end of After Hours?! They both stop running one hour after regular park close

Oh, I hate to hear that! We had the best boat captain, he did trivia and told jokes. It was really a fun experience. So maybe you will get it on a different occasion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter