• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our First Family Disney Trip… Take Two! - May 2024 PTR (Update 4/30 - Hollywood Studios Must-Dos)

Attractions that will likely get the ax include the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular (it’s never been a favorite of mine) as well as Rock and Roller Coaster (if it’s open). We may check out Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy or the Disney Junior show if we have time to kill.
I love Indiana Jones! But this was the first trip my girls actually enjoyed it (at 7 and 9); they never liked it when they were younger. We were underwhelmed by the Racing Academy but both girls still enjoyed the Disney Junior show this year (and bonus for the adults that it's in A/C).

Just found your PTR by seeing one of your comments on another trip report, and I'm so glad I hopped over. I have a new little princess too, born right around the time you started this report, and have been so curious as to how to plan her first trip. I'm taking notes on your tips! Can't wait to see how it all goes!

He’s been there for so long - it’s nice that some things don’t change. :goodvibes

:hug:

If there’s a park where I’m going to get lost on this vacation, it will be Hollywood Studios.

I always get turned around in this park from my very first visit. I just doesn't make sense like the other parks.

Back in 2016, this was the closest I came to Galaxy’s Edge:

I remember seeing this.

Rise of the Resistance looks like SO much fun. M is very excited to ride this and I think my husband will like it, too.

I think everyone will enjoy ROTR.

I’ll have to see if I can improve upon my last and highest score from eight years ago:

Very impressive.

The Tower of Terror is just spectacular. :love: The theming is excellent, the CM’s are always on point, plus it’s a great thrill ride. :goodvibes

My favorite!

I think all four of us will love Runaway Railway. It looks like such a cute attraction and the magical entrance at the beginning looks like so much fun.

It's a great family ride.

I must admit I will miss its predecessor:

I still miss it.

This was a wonderful spot to kill time between attractions and I loved seeing all the memorabilia. I believe they still have a smaller version of this over in Walt Disney Presents - I hope I can convince my family to give it a try.

It's also great to get out of the heat.

I’m also excited to introduce my family to Fantasmic!

This is a family favorite for us. I'll never forget how invested Danielle was when she saw it for the first time. She couldn't take her eyes off of it.

I haven’t seen this show since 2015 as my 2016 show was rained out. :sad:

It rained out on us in 2017. Danielle swore it ruined her trip.

What’s your favorite attraction at the Studios?

Tower of Terror.

Are there any must-see attractions that my girls might enjoy that I likely bypassed as an adult traveler?

Maybe try to stop in Vacation Fun for the photo ops and to cool down.

I'm all caught up! I had to giggle at the countdown chain. Ever since I returned from FL, Evie has been asking me to make one for our DL trip, so I had to get crafty, too. Which is NOT my strong suit. All that to say, your chain is great and I loved that you coordinated colors with characters. I bet the girls are having fun breaking a chain a day. And gives them something visual to show you close you're getting to your trip!

Loved your must do's. And hooray for getting a pre-fireworks reservation. And an earlier Topolino's! Things are working out, and this is going to be a fantastic trip for your family. :goodvibes

DHS is going to keep you all busy with two new lands. But how exciting that there will be so many new sights to see. Not only will your daughters be experiencing new Disney sights and sounds, so will the parents. :goodvibes

Looking forward to your DAK must-do's. *cough* Satu'li Canteen *cough* :rotfl2:

I cannot wait for you to experience Hollywood Studios again. It is going to blow your mind!

Yes, I think it will! Despite my adoration for several attractions HS has never been my favorite park… but we’ll have to see which park will make its way to the top after this trip!

Star Tours makes me sick as a dog! Go figure!

Really?! I know the simulator rides do bother some people, but I’m surprised this bothers you more than Cosmic Rewind. I have zero motion sickness issues so I’m a terrible barometer for my husband or others that struggle on some rides.

Glad you’re going to be able to enjoy it.

I’m so happy we’ll catch a day of Flower and Garden. Epcot is beautiful anyway but it’s a whole other level during that festival. I’m also glad I’ll finally be able to try the Violet Lemonade - I missed it in 2016!

It does spin… but it’s not really a spinning ride. More… it’s a turning ride? However, I know that a lot of people do have some issues with it. Hard to say.
You’ll be up on me, here. Haven’t seen that yet.

Yes, I have a much better idea how the ride works after watching the new documentary “Epcot Becoming” (highly recommended, by the way!). I may have G watch the sections about Cosmic Rewind to give him the best information.

Moana’s walk-through looks so neat - hopefully you’ll be able to see it soon!

You should be! :)
You’ll all love it. Great ride.

Hollywood Studios should be SO fun - I’m really looking forward to experiencing the new lands! Rise of the Resistance looks amazing online and I’m sure it’s even better in-person.

I love Indiana Jones! But this was the first trip my girls actually enjoyed it (at 7 and 9); they never liked it when they were younger. We were underwhelmed by the Racing Academy but both girls still enjoyed the Disney Junior show this year (and bonus for the adults that it's in A/C).

I don’t know why Indiana Jones hasn’t appealed to me as much as the other shows! It’s possible G may enjoy the show, though, so I’m not opposed to seeing it. I appreciate hearing about your girls’ opinions of the show.

I’ve never stepped foot in Disney Junior (this will be my first trip with kids!) and I don’t think Racing Academy existed. Neither M or L is familiar with the Disney Junior characters (I wish they still had Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!) so I don’t know if they’d get as much out of the show, although both of them would love to dance around to the music.

The most likely reason we’d visit Racing Academy is if G takes L (and M, if she doesn’t want to join me) while I ride Tower of Terror next door. G is not interested in the Tower of Terror (why?!) and that would be a good nearby attraction to get them into the A/C.

Just found your PTR by seeing one of your comments on another trip report, and I'm so glad I hopped over. I have a new little princess too, born right around the time you started this report, and have been so curious as to how to plan her first trip. I'm taking notes on your tips! Can't wait to see how it all goes!

Welcome! I’m so glad you stopped in and commented!

Congratulations on your daughter! It will be a very different trip for me as I’m used to traveling with another adult. I hope I’m not too ambitious with our plans, but I plan to take advantage of afternoon breaks for naps and rest so hopefully that helps.

I really appreciate the tips I’ve gleaned from other reports and YouTube - I hope some of them are helpful for you, too! It’s a little overwhelming with the planning changes when children are involved but I can’t wait to see what they think of Disney World.

I always get turned around in this park from my very first visit. I just doesn't make sense like the other parks.

I agree! I think the fact that it doesn’t have a “central hub” like the other parks makes a difference. You can either go this way or that way but not link your way around - it makes for a much longer walk when you go the wrong way! :laughing:

I think everyone will enjoy ROTR.

Yes, I think so too. The overall experience looks spectacular.

Very impressive.

Thanks! I finally broke 200K on my last trip and was VERY proud of myself.

My favorite!

It’s the best ride, isn’t it?! I never get tired of it and love both the thrill and the detailed theming. I hope (at least someday) that both of my girls will love it too.

It's a great family ride.
I still miss it.

MMRR looks so much fun! It’s the attraction M is most looking forward to riding at the Studios.

The GMR was one of my sister’s favorite attractions in Disney World and she was quite sad to see it go. It was never a favorite of mine but I did enjoy it and rode it each trip. It will be fun to see how they made the switch to Mickey and Minnie’s as I remember the original ride quite well.

It's also great to get out of the heat.

Yes, that too! ::yes::

This is a family favorite for us. I'll never forget how invested Danielle was when she saw it for the first time. She couldn't take her eyes off of it.

That’s so sweet! I wasn’t originally planning to go to Fantasmic (HEA was my #1 nighttime priority), but that changed thanks to hearing the Fantasmic music on SXM Disney Hits in the car. M asked what the music was which led us to watching Fantasmic on YouTube… and now we have a Fantasmic dining package booked. :laughing:

I don’t feel bad about it though, as long as my kids can manage two later nights! We are planning for “rest” days (a non-park morning or day) following each of the late nights, but I still have my fingers crossed that the later evening won’t turn the kids super cranky.

Tower of Terror.

YES!!! I knew I liked you. :thumbsup2

Maybe try to stop in Vacation Fun for the photo ops and to cool down.

That’s a great idea! It’s always good to have extra spots to find A/C.

I'm all caught up! I had to giggle at the countdown chain. Ever since I returned from FL, Evie has been asking me to make one for our DL trip, so I had to get crafty, too. Which is NOT my strong suit. All that to say, your chain is great and I loved that you coordinated colors with characters. I bet the girls are having fun breaking a chain a day. And gives them something visual to show you close you're getting to your trip!

Welcome back from your trip! I’m sorry you got sick near the end but I hope you had a lot of fun during your races and with Alex at the parks. I also hope you loved your stay at the Wilderness Lodge!

Yes, M LOVES pulling off the ring every night! She shrieks every night when we look at how many days are left. :laughing: I’m also glad I had the colors coordinate with characters as it’s extra fun to watch character by character disappear as we get closer to the trip.

Loved your must do's. And hooray for getting a pre-fireworks reservation. And an earlier Topolino's! Things are working out, and this is going to be a fantastic trip for your family. :goodvibes

Thanks - there are so many of them that I hope we make a decent dent! (Especially at MK!)

I was so relieved (and surprised!) when I found the fireworks pre-party. I did have a hiccup with that ADR after booking it, but thankfully it all turned out okay despite the stressful moments.

I was SUPER excited to get that earlier slot for Topolino’s. It’s somewhat of a miracle that I found it - I looked constantly and it’s the only ADR I found that day that was before 11:00. The funny thing is that I booked it while I was isolated in our guest bedroom with the stomach flu - nothing like searching for ADRs while half delusional! :laughing:

DHS is going to keep you all busy with two new lands. But how exciting that there will be so many new sights to see. Not only will your daughters be experiencing new Disney sights and sounds, so will the parents. :goodvibes

It will be so much fun to see all the new things! It will be completely new to G and our girls as he’s never been to that park, either.

Looking forward to your DAK must-do's. *cough* Satu'li Canteen *cough* :rotfl2:

:rotfl:

Duly noted! (And never fear… I keep looking at the menu trying to decide between entrees. Would it be bad to order two? Plus dessert? :laughing: )

The funny thing is that I booked it while I was isolated in our guest bedroom with the stomach flu - nothing like searching for ADRs while half delusional!

Oh no! Did you catch what your girls had over your trip? Well, everyone has had their share of sickness and should be good to go for Disney!

Yes, M LOVES pulling off the ring every night! She shrieks every night when we look at how many days are left.

This is wonderful. It's so great watching the kids get excited for a trip.

And never fear… I keep looking at the menu trying to decide between entrees. Would it be bad to order two?

Alex and I might or might not have split a cheeseburger pod along with our main entrees. :rotfl:So no judgement from me!

I am enjoying your PTR! I love Crytal Palace too, though we've never eaten breakfast there. We may need to change that!

OMG, Hollywood Studios will be a completely different park and experience for you!! So excited to hear if you like the changes :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter