• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other Disney Destinations

Meliechick

Mouseketeer
My DH and I are HUGE Disney fans. We got married there and plan a trip at least once per year to WDW. We also love to travel abroad. I was thinking of surprising my husband with a trip to Tokyo Disneyland because he badly wants to go to Japan as we have not been to any Asian countries yet. I understand that other Disney parks are not even close to the size of WDW and I am not sure if we would be disappointed. Has anyone been to any Disneyparks outside of the USA? What could we expect? Any help is appreciated.

I spent only 1 day at Disneyland Paris several years ago. It was only 1 Park then. You might want to check out the Disneyland Paris Board here for some info.

I took my DW to TDL/TDS in March for our 10th Anniversary. It took a lot of planning, but I gave it to her in her Christmas stocking.

We spent 3 days at the resort. There are two parks, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disneysea. You could easily spend 2 days at each park, but since it was 40 degrees, raining and supposed to snow, we only got one day at each park and then the 3rd day half of each....and we definitely were not disappointed. While things are "similar" with TDL, it is different enough to make you want to ride everything to see what's different (even Small World). We are Disneyland locals and make a trip to WDW every couple of years. We will probably go back to Tokyo within the next two years, but this time we'll go for two weeks. Tokyo (and Japan in general) was an incredible place. The people are incredible and go out of their way to help. We want to explore the country even more.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

jxgriffi, i have been looking at going to TDL. ( I just have to convince my DH that its safe to travel outside of the country :rolleyes: ) Do you mind telling us what TA you used? and also, how big are the rooms? Actually any info on this would be greatly appriciated!!

thanks,
Kellie

We didn't use a TA. I booked everything myself. I do a lot of travel for business, so I am very well versed in travel. That being said, you can easily do it yourself....but if it's not something you are comfortable with, definitely use a TA. I really wished we could have seen the Castle with snow on it!

Luckily, we were staying with friends at the Disney E-Village (Entertainment Village). Hotels are VERY expensive (ok, everything in Japan is expensive). If you want to stay around the resort, there are 3 or 4 hotels. Rooms are standard size. I would recommend the Hilton if you're staying there. There is bus service to the parks in very cool, "retro" looking buses. The resort is also at the Mahaima (I think) train station that will get you into Tokyo to explore.

As far as being safe to travel, I would have no problem doing it again. Japan is a very safe and friendly country. They may not be able to communicate verbally with you, but most people have studied english and can at least understand what you are asking. The one thing we learned while being there is simple. If in doubt...ask. We had our instructions from our friends on how to get a bus ticket to the e-village. We weren't quite clear on some of it. We asked as we got off the plane. Not only did the person try to explain it, they actually took us to baggage claim, waited for our luggage, took us to the bus ticket stand and waited with us until the bus came. They also gave us their phone number if we wanted a "guided tour" of Tokyo!!! We were told we could leave out wallet on a trash can in the train station and come back the next day to get it. It would still be there with all of the money in it!! It's an honor issue with the Japanese.

If you plan on doing a lot of exploring, get a rail-pass before you leave the US. They are not available in Japan. It's basically an unlimited use train ticket while you are in Japan. We knew we weren't going to be there that long, so we bought 1000yen ($10) tickets while we were there. When they run out, buy another one.

The best advice is stay as long as you can. See the parks and then explore. Also, if you see a lot of Americans at the Mahaima train station, they are more than likely cast members. Ask them for any tips. They are usually more than happy to share information.

I hope that helps...I can recommend a couple of travel books if you're interested.

the only thing i am worried about is the size of the rooms. i looked at the disney resorts and the only picture they show are with two or three single sized beds. first of all, i love my Dh and like to sleep in the same bed! and second we are not Japanese sized either! LOL:rolleyes:

I dont mind booking things myself, i book all our vacations. in fact every time have gone to a TA, I always knew way more than they did about where i wanted to go! yes, i would love the names of guide books!

I know the Hilton Tokyo Bay has rooms with doubles, queens and kings.

You can also find "reader hotel reviews" at Mouseplanet.

EDIT: I just checked and only a couple are actually reviewed. I know the Oriental at Shin-Urayasu is beautiful and is 1 train station away from the resort. The E-Village is in Urayasu so that was our "home-base."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter