OT- where to buy Rock Shrimp

Henlady

DIS Veteran
This is for all your Orlando"ites"
We would like to purchase some frozen/fresh rock shrimp to bring back home (can't get this favorite of ours in PA)
Where would I find a good seafood shop to purchase this item. I know I can get it in Cocoa Beach, but really don't want to drive over there on our last day.

Thanks for the help.

I am going to move this over to the Orlando board.....maybe you will get some answers there....

The only place I can really say I've seen it is a guy who parks his pick-up along route 50 in the Oakland/Clermont area and sells it out the back of the truck.

Anne

unless you're close to a coast, good luck. rock shrimp have their own natural 'season' which ends near the end of the year. and most shrimp boats don't bother with them, they consider them 'junk' shrimp.

but man, are they good.

We were hoping not to have to drive over to Cocoa Beach, but looks like we may have to. I called DixieCrossroads, their cost is $11 per pound and then about $35 to ship 5 pound to PA. Oh well, an afternoon at the beach isn't all bad.

ducklite said:
The only place I can really say I've seen it is a guy who parks his pick-up along route 50 in the Oakland/Clermont area and sells it out the back of the truck.

Anne

I think these are just regular Gulf shrimp, not rock shrimp. I wonder how much shrimp those guys sell...

Ted

Henlady said:
We were hoping not to have to drive over to Cocoa Beach, but looks like we may have to. I called DixieCrossroads, their cost is $11 per pound and then about $35 to ship 5 pound to PA. Oh well, an afternoon at the beach isn't all bad.

try calling the Dixie Crossroads in Orlando and ask them if they would be willing to sell you some out of the restaurant. it's worth a try.

Ted and Holly said:
I think these are just regular Gulf shrimp, not rock shrimp. I wonder how much shrimp those guys sell...

Ted

No idea--but have you seen the van with the giant shrimp on the roof? :rotfl:

Anne

ducklite said:
No idea--but have you seen the van with the giant shrimp on the roof? :rotfl:

Anne

Yep!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Aaah...Florida..land of shrimp trucks and lobster beetles...
We love seeing the Boston Lobster Feast car rolling around too :teeth:

:sunny:

ducklite said:

Anne

There's a guy who sells shrimp (don't know what kind) out of the back of his truck on weekends off of 192, right between the intersection of 192 & 545 and 192 & 27. There's also a guy in the same area who sells turtles out of the back of his pickup, and a guy who sells tennis shoes out of the back of his pickup.

Are there actually any seafood markets around here? I Googled & could only find Publix & Wal-Mart that sold retail.
The fish we get at Wal-Mart isn't up to par, and we were wondering whether there was actually a place to purchase semi-fresh seafood.

Cheers!
Heather W

Henlady said:
This is for all your Orlando"ites"
We would like to purchase some frozen/fresh rock shrimp to bring back home (can't get this favorite of ours in PA)
Where would I find a good seafood shop to purchase this item. I know I can get it in Cocoa Beach, but really don't want to drive over there on our last day.

Thanks for the help.

Where do you live in PA? How far are you from the Maryland line? You can get great shrimp in Maryland!

Unfortunately, we didn't get to get any Rock Shrimp before we returned to PA last Wednesday. Just couldn't find the time to do the extra running around. I did call a couple of seafood shops and none of them sold Rock Shrimp.

FLParadisevilla: Great shrimp, I can find. It's the Rock Shrimp that we fell in love with last fall. Rock shrimp are firmer in texture than regular shrimp and the flavor is closer to lobster than shrimp. IMHO it is nothing like regular shrimp, much better.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I really get the craving that bad, I'll just have to have some shipped to us. Or maybe plan another trip - yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

Yummie they sound better then regular shrimp!!! I will keep my eyes out for rock shrimp in Maryland and let you know if I find any!!!

Royal Reds have a flavor and texture similar to lobster. Out of this world good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest