OT: Sizing for Cub Scout Uniform

Help! My son is joining the Cub Scouts (tiger), and needs a uniform. I am really thrown by the sizing. If anyone has experience with the uniforms please help! They have pants called switchback which have elastic adjustable waists, and the shorts also have elastic.

My son is 6 yrs old, is 46 inches tall, but has a very ample tummy (loves those carbs). His waist is 28 in. most pants that fit his waist are too long, and vice versa. I bought a size 6 on ebay- the pants are too long but way too small in the waist, and the shirt barely fits.

I also would like to buy a size that he can use for at least a year.

Any sizing help is appreciated!

nuke

Life is Good
All the boys that joined together with my son as tigers bought their shirts huge! They are all webelos II now and most of them wore the shirts until last year. Do you have a scout shop near you? Also some hobby shops or craft stores in our area sell uniforms. I think it would be better to see them in person.

We bought our son's shirt large too and he wore it for 4 years and now his brother a Tiger just wore it for a year.

We never had to purchase Cub Scout pants but I believe they run the same as Boy Scout pants. They go by waist measurement. My normally size 7/8son is wearing a 10 pants. How about checking for some that are mostly elastic waist?

Buy the shirt big so he can wear it all the way through to Webelos. At that point you can decide to still wear the blue shirt or go with the Boy Scout shirt. I have been very involved with scouts for the last six years and have never seen the cub scout boys wear the full official uniform. Most boys get the shirt, neckerchief, slide, hat and belt. Just wear a pair of jeans with the shirt tucked in. Sometimes with the Boy Scouts an official class A uniform is required for formal flag ceremonies otherwise the boys only wear the the shirt without the neckerchief. If you go to the scout shop they will load you down with everything from head to toe, so I would just go in there with a list of what you want and stick to it.
Another tip to new scouting parents is to keep everything from each year to make their shadow box (a tradtition for many packs) when they cross over to Boy Scouts. It can get pricey replacing anything you have misplaced over the years.
Good luck to your son, and welcome to a wonderful organization.

YiS

Check w/ your pack and / or den leader to see if the pants are a requirement. Ours does not require uniform pants, just that the boys wear their CSA belt w/ their jeans, etc.

I bought the shirts large so there is plenty of growing room. They will be in those shirts 3-5 years if they join as Tigers. I think the Webelos can wear the BSA shirts (tan). All those patches have to be sewn on and transferred to any new shirts, so definitely get the shirts a little large.

Ask around in your pack about where to buy the shirts. Also, see if they have any "experienced" shirts. These will be cheaper.

Help! My son is joining the Cub Scouts (tiger), and needs a uniform. I am really thrown by the sizing. If anyone has experience with the uniforms please help! They have pants called switchback which have elastic adjustable waists, and the shorts also have elastic.

My son is 6 yrs old, is 46 inches tall, but has a very ample tummy (loves those carbs). His waist is 28 in. most pants that fit his waist are too long, and vice versa. I bought a size 6 on ebay- the pants are too long but way too small in the waist, and the shirt barely fits.

I also would like to buy a size that he can use for at least a year.

Any sizing help is appreciated!

It's tough to try and figure out sizes without trying on, especially with the switchback pants, those things fit really funky IMO
Of course like others have already posted, DS never wore official scout pants in Cubs, jeans were the norm in his pack.

As far as the shirt goes; we didn't start into scouts quite as young as you are, but we bought a youth large in the blue shirt and that got us through until DS crossed over and switched uniforms.

If you have a scout store near you it might be worth a trip just to try on, even if you plan on getting the uniform elsewhere.

Good Luck

I am a past Den Leader, I'm bragging here - 7 of my boys earned the Arrow of Light and 6 crossed over to Boy Scouts.

Our pack never required the boys to wear the scout pants. Plus we had an "informal" swap in place. When my boys moved from tiger - wolf - bear etc, we passed our hats, neckerchiefs to the next group coming up. Plus when a boy grew out of a shirt - it was passed on.

Talk to your Cubmaster. If you can - get involved. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life being a Den Leader. There is always a need for parent involvement. There are all kinds of opportunities Good luck. It's a really fun time for the boys.

Mine is currently on a weekend trip "Funyaking". His first real adventure, he crossed over in March.

Unless you know for sure - save money by only buying the shirt & belt this summer. Some packs provide hat, neckerchief, tie slide and book to every scout. Other packs don't.

I wish I could offer sizing advice, but all kids are so different. My Webelo & Bear are still wearing their Tiger shirts (we bought it big).

I've never seen a Cub in the official pants. We've been in 2 packs and the inspection rule is "belt up" - belt, shirt, neckerchief, slide, hat & clean jeans or blue pants without holes.

My husband is an Eagle scout, cubmaster, and den leader.
My oldest is now a bear cub.
My youngest will be a lion cub in Sept.

Scouting is great!

?I hope you mean a Tiger cub? Lol There haven't been Lions in cub scouting for years- and they were what is now Webelos.... (WOlf, BEar, LiOn, Scout=Webelos :))

OP- do you not have a local scout shop? Most councils do- you could just try the shirt on (even if you opted to check for one on ebay or something, you'd know the sizing...)

As others have said, check with your pack about even needing official pants. I don't know of any pack around here that requires BSA pants. Little boys grow too fast/wear things out too easily to justify that kind of money on a uniform.

Also agree to buy the shirt big. He'll wear it at least 1st thru 3rd grade. Most guys in my den switched to tan (eg boy scout) shirts in 4th grade, but Webelos (4th-5th grade) can wear either.

And definitely ask about getting involved! It's alot of fun. I was den leader and cubmaster for my son's pack. He's since crossed to boy scouts, but I still run the local cub scout camp. It's a great program!

My kids have mediums. I have a Webelo 2 next year and it still fits him fine.

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest