Ostomy questions re: WDW

CynJ

Caffeinated Insomniac
Planning another trip with my mom. She had major surgery this year (what a saga - but that would take pages to write) and now has very little intestine left and has an iliostomy.

Obviously we would pack more supplies then we think she would need but does anyone know if any of the pharmacies have a full ostomy line of supplies? Just in case.

And does anyone have any experience/advice about emptying and disposing of the bags while at the parks? (pm's welcomed on this topic if it makes anyone more comfortable)

Thanks!

I have to think about the supply part since I know that not all pharmacies (or even hospitals, for that matter) carry a big supply of different types of supplies. I'd suggest asking her current supplier for a referral in the area. If they can't the manufacturer of her supplies can probably tell you who is a dealer of their product in the area.
For emptying and disposal, First Aid in any of the parks would be able to help you. The newer parks (AK and the Studio) have some restrooms with very large handicapped stalls that have a sink right in the stall. Those would probably work.

Thanks Sue - I never thought of contacting the manufacturer!

I did mention it to the pharmacy that we normally use and they said they could also fedex anything we needed too and that we just needed to watch what we have.

I work in a hospital and some of the items people use are not that readily available. Ostomy supplies are something that not all pharmacies carry anyway and what they do carry may not be the items she uses. I know it sometimes takes some trial and error to get the bag and the pouches, wafers and pastes that work best.
Sounds like the pharmacy you currently use Fed X'ing to you is a good solution.

Hi

I've had an ileostomy myself for almost 20 years now and what I do is pack more supplies than I would need during the trip. With an ileostomy you don't have to throw away your pouch when you use the bathroom. Mine last anywhere from 4 to 6 days so you shouldn't need to be changing them at the park. You only empty them at the bathroom. I usually used the handicapped stall as there is more space to maneuver (sp?). I undestand that an "accident" may happen and somehow it could become unglued but my experience has been that no matter how hot is WDW I never had that happen. Just carry some supplies with you just in case. I put a new appliance the day I leave on my trip and even going to the pool it lasts at least 4 days.

Most places I know off that sell ostomy supplies can overnight them to your hotel too if needed. So you could try that if you are going short.

I understand that right after the surgery everything seems harder to do but overtime it will get better. Tell her to have fun at the park :D

If you have any specific questions let me know either here or PM and I'll try to help.

Eric

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter