Open's... Email... your order is...... On-line shopping - Vent...

What's the local stores you've been shopping at and for what items?

that's my question as well.

with the exception of VERY specialized privately owned stores (jewelry, arts, a few clothing) the only version of 'local stores' we have are ones that are basically of the variety of 'your local hometown ace hardware' so it's still some company that sells on-line but they've got a local franchise that gets foot traffic from people who don't have the time to wait for an on-line purchase so i suspect the on-line sales from their parent company won't impact their operations.

I think this is based on what you order and where you live. We have had Amazon drivers delivering our stuff for at least a year, but likely much longer, most of my Amazon stuff comes UPS, some USPS, none FedEx.

I was told Amazon has a contract with USPS for delivery. But lately a lot of my Amazon stuff has been delivered by UPS, usually when it's a 'bigger' box. I have had 2 Fed Ex Amazon pkgs delivered in the last 2 weeks, and the one that's arriving Monday is also by Fed Ex.

What solution were you hoping for?

I ordered a bunch of stuff off Amazon about a week ago and it all showed up ahead of schedule. I don’t order a ton with them but I’ve never had an issue. Maybe it’s the lucky Canadian Amazon :)

I'm curious why you had to be on the phone with anyone at all from Amazon? If I want to cancel my order I just go to the order and click cancel, select the reason (one of which is 'won't arrive in time'), and the order is cancelled. Easy.

I ordered almost every gift online this year through lots of different sites, Amazon prob had the most though. Didn't have a single issue anywhere, most things came early Except for Cabelas.

Cabelas said the item was in stock and gave me a delivery date and days after the supposed delivery date I get a generic backorder email with no estimate on when or even if they would ever ship the item. I'm frustrated but at least it's for the hubby and I have other things for him. He particularly wanted this one shirt, so I'm just gonna let it hang for awhile and see if it ever comes back in stock.

I'm not much of an online shopper. I like to physically see what I purchase. Dh, on the other hand hates shopping, so does most of his shopping online (has to return a lot too)!

'If', I were to order online for Christmas, I sure wouldn't wait until Dec. to do it! Save yourself some stress!

Sorry, OP, but some things just aren't making sense. As evidenced by this thread, your experience is really out in left field. As another poster pointed out, calling to cancel an order makes no sense at all. And, going by my own experience, the only time I've had a notice that an item would be late was when I didn't pay attention to its availability. That seems to also be what most on this thread have seen. I get the feeling that there was something on your end that added to, if not caused, the confusion.

I'm going more and more back to brick and mortar, even if I pay a bit more. One, there will be no "local stores" to shop in if we don't....so much for the idea that you can browse locally, see and touch the item and then find it cheaper on line. Two, my money spent locally helps my LOCAL economy, and the local guy trying to make a buck. Three, if I have a question about the item, I can find someone who can ACTUALLY help me, instead of waiting in phone tree hell to find someone who doesn't have a clue.

Brick and mortar people. Brick and mortar. You are going to miss it when it's gone.

I just got back from shopping at B&M stores, nope wouldn't miss them at all.

I really dislike online shopping. I much prefer to walk into a store to do my shopping. Sadly, so many malls are closing.

I've bought several things from Amazon recently through Prime with the 2 day shipping. So far, out of 4 packages (5 items ordered in the same transaction), 1 was on time, 2 were a day late, and 1 was 2 days late. Currently, I'm waiting for 5 more packages from them (10 items from 2 orders on the same date) that we're supposed to all be delivered tomorrow. 3 now have later delivery dates between Sunday and Tuesday, and based on where one fo the packages is located that has 6 items, it's likely to be late as well. It's funny, it's the $3.49 add-on item that is too cheap to ship unless ordered with other items that was actually shipped alone and will likely be the only thing to arrive on time. I've noticed a pattern over the years with things sent to a certain Amazon facility and then transferred to USPS. Those packages ALWAYS arrive late.

As long as I get my stuff before Christmas, I'll be happy. I've had the worst luck with Target and KMart in the past around Christmas- with shipping taking 3+ weeks after being quoted less than 1. While I detest shopping, I'd rather purchase in stores so I can guarantee having my stuff when I need it, but most of the things I want tend to not be available in stores around me.

I'm not sure if they suspend this during the Holiday shopping season, but if you are a Prime member and your package arrives after it is supposed too then they will add one month to your Prime membership.

Sadly, so many malls are closing.
A big reason why malls are closing is the same reason why some stores close certain locations. There was an oversaturation of malls around the nation just as there might be too many of X store too close together (it sometimes works and othertimes doesn't). Also outdoor malls have cropped up as the type of mall being built thesedays or outdoor shopping districts.

I'm going more and more back to brick and mortar, even if I pay a bit more. One, there will be no "local stores" to shop in if we don't....so much for the idea that you can browse locally, see and touch the item and then find it cheaper on line. Two, my money spent locally helps my LOCAL economy, and the local guy trying to make a buck. Three, if I have a question about the item, I can find someone who can ACTUALLY help me, instead of waiting in phone tree hell to find someone who doesn't have a clue.

Brick and mortar people. Brick and mortar. You are going to miss it when it's gone.
Eh, I don’t know about that. Even when I’m shopping at a brick and mortar store about 80% of the time I’m still ‘pre’ shopping online and picking it up. Every major store around here encourages it. It’s gets people in and out quicker. We don’t really have many local/mom & pop places around here. The ones we do have are like a PP mentioned more specialized. It’s up to all of them to come into this century and provide the shopping experience people want. I certainly don’t miss the screaming kids soundtrack when I shop or the people who stop in the middle of the isle to text or pick their nose or whatever the heck it is they’re doing.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they suspend this during the Holiday shopping season, but if you are a Prime member and your package arrives after it is supposed too then they will add one month to your Prime membership.

Unfortunately they've stopped doing that. Just say sorry but they aren't offering the free month any longer.

Okay... I'm getting on the soap box here...

So we ordered several things for Christmas, From Amazon.... to the tune of well over 500.00 dollars, paid for guaranteed delivery by a certain date.... Then yesterday I get a email that say... Great your items will be restocked and delivered to you by January 18th... What... No I paid to get them yesterday... So I'm on the phone with Amazon for a eternity... final once on the phone with a real person... After discussing, the transaction... the lady was like... well that's the best we can do... then I said just cancel the order... Amazon Rep: WHAT... you want to cancel the order. Me: Yep, cancel the order, Amazon rep: Why... Me: Well, I ordered all this for Christmas and paid to have a guaranteed delivery date, and you failed to deliver the items on time as promised... It's just that simple... Amazon rep: I don't understand you don't want any of the items.. Me: NO... They are for Christmas... Christmas gifts...so January is not acceptable delivery when Christmas is in 12 days... Amazon Rep... OHHHH okay...Hold please then Amazon Rep 2: this supervisor get on the line... and I have to go over the whole issue with her...She was absolutely even astonished and amazed that I wanted to cancel the order... Finally after more discussion... she even asked if she could get the item to me would I want to pay for guaranteed delivery... Me: I was very blunt... I said I already paid for guaranteed delivery... and you can see that it doesn't work... Amazon Rep 2: Oh... okay... and finally refunded my money...

So I went out shopping yesterday, and picked up everything that I had ordered...Cheaper than the on-line price... once I added up what I saved, and the extra cost of shipping by the guaranteed date... I saved just under 100.00 bucks.... And guess what... They are going to here on time...

All on-line shopping is - really is old school catalog shopping... except now the catalog is on your screen... your still faced with out of stock, wrong size, wrong color, not shipping in time, it's really not anything new... It's suppose to be faster, better, cheaper... It's not... All it does aggravate you to the point of needing a glass of wine, instead of coffee at 6:30 am...

Deep Breath.... Breath in... Exhale.... Getting off soap box now...

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have ordered about $2,000 of items since Black Friday and yet to have something not delivered within the 2 day mark. That said, I buy from Amazon, or fulfilled by Amazon if I need something by a certain date. I try not to buy from Amazon sellers if I need something by a particular date.

I also subscribe to UPS alerts so I know when the package has shipped and get an email letting me know the window it is going to be delivered and then another email saying it has been delivered. For things going through USPS, I make use of the tracking number.

No stress since I am emailed from the time it leaves the warehouse to the time it lands on my porch with my Ring doorbell showing me the packages.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE online shopping. I do most everything online. Dog food comes from Chewy.com and the rest mostly from Amazon.

I am also a bit skeptical that both the call center person and the supervisor gave you a hard time cancelling the order. Amazon is known for their return and cancellation policy. You could have just logged on to your account and canceled the order easily that way. Easy Peasy.

Last edited:
I love online shopping and have been doing it for many many years.
Still enjoy window shopping as well as brick and mortar shopping though.
I don't bother shopping online at various local merchants since I enjoy the sensory pleasure.

Just got a delivery from a London shop a day earlier than listed in my order confirmation; felt so good.

I have nothing but praise for Amazon :worship:

I found a good deal oh Dutch Oven the other day at Shopko.com . I had a busy day, without thinking I placed an order with them. I'll quote the review I left for them since then:

"So I wanted to purchase Dutch Oven dish online at Shopko.com On the way to the cart I saw a Oreo Candy Canes, so I added 1 bag just over $2, why not. The Shipping cost was $8.95, understandable since this dish is heavy. Then I received 2 email, the first one was shipping confirmation, I didn't even bother to read the details. It's shipped, right? Then I get a second email telling me that my dish item got canceled! So, my $2 bag of candy canes just got shipped for $8.95!!! Wow! When I called , Customer service guy took the info with promise of a supervisor callback. And he did call, left a message that they reduced the shipping cost by 50%. That's still $4.50 per $2 worth of candy canes. Offered me a free shipping for the next purchase, what do you think, will I ever shop there again? I DONT THINK SO!!! BTW, after I hanged up, I checked their web site and my dish, even in the same color was still available for purchase with a note: "Hurry, only few left..." Edit: I do understand that sometimes items do get canceled for whatever reason, but why no one contacted me asking if I really want to ship those candy canes???

Won't miss it at all. Don't use Brick and Mortar now, how would I miss it if they were gone? One exception is clothes and shoes. Those I like to try on. Except lately, I have even started buying that online.

something is going on with amazon. deliveries have been off lately for allot of people (even before the christmas rush). somethings also off with the ratings/amazon's customer service. don't just look at the rating/stars a vendor has b/c amazon is going on and lining out negative reviews (as well as deleting some entirely) which changes the rating. i've been following an order from a couple of months ago only to find that dozens and dozens of complaints have been lodged with amazon over the seller yet amazon keeps lining out the negative reviews and claiming 'the issue with delivery is not the fault of the seller'. um-it's not prime delivery, the seller is charging credit cards months before shipping and amazon won't deal with the bad charges/non delivery b/c they didn't fulfill yet they let the company continue to 'sell', line out negative REAL customer reviews and then allow the company to obviously post bogus positive reviews (top stars for delivery of the same item dozens have posted they never received, all variations of the same user name, all w/similar typos and grammar errors).

i'm getting to the point i may just drop prime.
That's your problem, you are purchasing from Amazon sellers, not Amazon. That is no different than buying something off Ebay. Long ago, when the dinosaurs roamed, I would sell on Ebay occasionally. Amazon's setup was very similar to selling there.

I rarely. rarely buy from an Amazon seller and still manage to find everything I need. If I am buying from an Amazon seller, I will look up.check out with Yelp or similar their own webpage.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have ordered about $2,000 of items since Black Friday and yet to have something not delivered within the 2 day mark. That said, I buy from Amazon, or fulfilled by Amazon if I need something by a certain date. I try not to buy from Amazon sellers if I need something by a particular date.

I also subscribe to UPS alerts so I know when the package has shipped and get an email letting me know the window it is going to be delivered and then another email saying it has been delivered. For things going through USPS, I make use of the tracking number.

No stress since I am emailed from the time it leaves the warehouse to the time it lands on my porch with my Ring doorbell showing me the packages.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE online shopping. I do most everything online. Dog food comes from Chewy.com and the rest mostly from Amazon.

I am also a bit skeptical that both the call center person and the supervisor gave you a hard time cancelling the order. Amazon is known for their return and cancellation policy. You could have just logged on to your account and canceled the order easily that way. Easy Peasy.

I will always take an opportunity to echo how much I love Chewy! They have such great customer service! They have turned me into a loyal customer for as long as I have a pet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!