Ontario 2020 future planners

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
We're thinking of cruising over the 2020 spring break, but those cruises will become available this fall, while the 2019-2020 school calendar won't be out from our school board until late spring of next year. I did find a resource that I'm hoping is reliable on the web:

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general/list/calendar/holidaye.html

upload_2018-9-3_19-59-59.png

It looks like the break for next year will be March 16-20, but that's late compared to the last few years.

I wonder if those dates are 'cast in stone'? Does anyone know if school boards mess around with the breaks very much or if these things change? Would you book your cruise based on a future projection like this?

I just did a search as well and there was a pdf from the ministry of education that says the same.

So it does look like it will be a week later in 2020

School boards can ask for changes, I believe they have until May to do so, so May 2019 for the March break 2020. I don't believe they are likely to however it is a possibility. I know some school boards did this at Christmas time I think it was last year? or 2016? I can't remember exactly but they changed it to be the week of Christmas and the week after because it was earlier. I seem to remember being asked to vote on it.

I'm in a similar boat, I want to be able to book something for March break, as soon as possible for better rates!

I remember that about the xmas break! I think it was last year. I almost booked one thing and was glad I waited until the dates were out!

Would your school board be able to tell you if you ask, or will they not have it finalized ?

Also, have you considered booking for both likely weeks and then once you know cancel the "wrong" week and have its deposit applied toward the cruise you are keeping ?

For our cruise this past December, wwe had originally p lanned to do a B2B, but in thee end had to cancel one of them. DCL was able to move the deposit on the one we canceled and apply it as a credit toward the other cruise, that way we did not lose out on the foreign exchange fees and exchange rate differential by having it credited back to our credit card.

'Course doing that does mean a double deposit.

SW

The school board won't likely tell me anything... that stuff is all done by some committee, but I thought I might try phoning in a week or two (once people get into their routines with the year starting).

I did think about booking both, but we have a placeholder, which I can only apply to one date. Sure, I could move it, but if the price rises in the 6 months it takes to confirm the spring break, I'd only be applying the placeholder to that other cruise as a new cruise. So I do have to choose.

The school board won't likely tell me anything... that stuff is all done by some committee, but I thought I might try phoning in a week or two (once people get into their routines with the year starting).

I did think about booking both, but we have a placeholder, which I can only apply to one date. Sure, I could move it, but if the price rises in the 6 months it takes to confirm the spring break, I'd only be applying the placeholder to that other cruise as a new cruise. So I do have to choose.
Then I think you are best off to book the week that the Ministry is showing. I’ve used the Ministry calendar to check breaks ahead of time often. That one Christmas is the only time in recent memory that I recall it changing. That doesn’t mean it won’t change, but it’s your best bet this far out.

We rely on the calendar for booking our vacations (DW is a teacher), but the Ottawa board has been very consistent about following the ministry calendar over the years. A couple of the other boards (French, French Catholic, Catholic) have not been as consistent. I think it helps to understand the track record of your specific board before relying on this calendar.

I know that the Ottawa board did consider a change in dates for the Christmas holidays a couple of years ago, but they did it so close to the date that there was a lot of outcry internally. Probably because all of the teachers and administrators had already booked vacations and made plans based on the Ministry template calendar.

If your board has a track record of tinkering with the template, I would wait. If they (like the OCDSB) always follow the Ministry template, I would go for it.

ETA: ask a couple of seasoned teachers or the administration at your kids school about the board's track record.

We're HCDSB (Halton Catholic). We usually follow everyone else on the big stuff, from what I've seen, but sometimes dates like PA days or start dates are a little different. Here's hoping.... :genie:

Hi Hon
I am with Peel District School Board,P.D.S.B.
2018 --2019
I use
This one here
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Peel....69i57j0l5.11871j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

BUT
Our board usually follows the Ministry of Education
suggestions.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=mini.....69i57j0l5.9300j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In my 23 years with the Peel Board,,,, the Ministry one was used all but one time .
It is hard to make plans but maybe just take them out and look upon it as a hands on educational experience and Family time.(And so I don't get fired--check with your school),,this advice is given as a friend not a school employee).

Hugs Mel

Hi Hon
I am with Peel District School Board,P.D.S.B.
2018 --2019
I use
This one here
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Peel....69i57j0l5.11871j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

BUT
Our board usually follows the Ministry of Education
suggestions.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=mini.....69i57j0l5.9300j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In my 23 years with the Peel Board,,,, the Ministry one was used all but one time .
It is hard to make plans but maybe just take them out and look upon it as a hands on educational experience and Family time.(And so I don't get fired--check with your school),,this advice is given as a friend not a school employee).

Hugs Mel
hehe... thanks. I would take them out during school, except one will be in grade 10 and about to write his literacy test (probably April?) and the other will be in grade 12. So, while I will probably take them for a couple of days just before the break (we drive to Fl), I don't want to overdo it and mess up their grades.

I think I'll probably just go with the Ministry of Education planned dates and hope for the best. Like you (and others) have said, changes are rare.

Now if I could just psychically will the board to add a PA day before the spring break, life would be good. :cool1:

Now if I could just psychically will the board to add a PA day before the spring break, life would be good. :cool1:
Tell me about it!

If I had a buck for every time I've been sitting with the engine revving in front of DW's school at 3:15 on Friday of the March break. Head the car south, and straight on til morning...

This year may be a bit different as we change up. Have a flight at 6:00 to YYC (still a bit tight for getting to the airport and clearing security), followed by a very early flight from YYC to SJD on Saturday morning. Depending on how the tensions go between our countries, we might consider returning to FL in 2020; time will tell.

I have no qualmsabout taking the kids out for the Friday before March break. It's usually such a nothing day for them as they typically just end up watching movies in class/not doing anything significant.

Weird...our school has the Friday before March break off as part of March break. I thought this was everywhere in Ontario but guess not!

I think it will be the 16-20. If March 2015 is any indication, then it will be the 3rd week.

But until it's finalized, I wouldn't say it's set in stone.

Sorry...I know how you feel, I plan years in advance. I usually have no problem booking my summer and Christmas vacations, but I'm always leery about March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!