One week in 1-bedroom Value Villa at AKV-Jambo. Heavenly.

Marypoppins14

Mouseketeer
Returned on Saturday from a one-week stay at AKV-Jambo in a 1-bedroom Value Villa.

Loved. Loved. Loved.

I was concerned about the size of the villa, given some reviews that described it as "cramped" and "couldn't close the bedroom door." My apprehensions quickly dissolved as we acclimated to the villa.

We stayed in 5110, which was on the Ostrich Trail, with a savanna (re-classified as a standard) view. We enjoyed seeing many different animals, including Ostrich, Giraffe, Zebra, Oryx. The Giraffes were a riot! What mischief makers. The location of the villa was wonderful. Very close to the stairs and front entrance, yet very quiet.

We went to Typhoon Lagoon one day (I took a surfing lesson the morning of my birthday), and loved every minute there. The wave pool was phenomenal. My 12 y/o son and I spent nearly the entire day riding those incredible waves (we live in very close proximity to the ocean, so know how to swim fairly rigorous currents). One evening at Disney Springs; and another at Animal Kingdom (loved Pandora).

The rest of the time was simply basking in the awesomeness of this fabulous resort.

We rented a car, purchased groceries the first evening, and cooked/prepared the majority of our meals.

We did not want to leave AKV!

I spent the last day just wandering the halls, taking photos of the dozens & dozens of African artifacts. It's a museum!

And I participated in an African drumming jam session. The drums called to me. The drummers said that I had perfect timing! I just watched and followed their patterns.

We love our home resort, and cannot wait to return.

Feel free to ask any questions....

Value villas are considered a "view" category of its own. This was never savannah or standard. It is Value.

Actually, your comment is not quite accurate. The Value category is not a view-based category, at all. Rather, it reflects the smaller size of the villa.

Therefore, for the sake of clarity (and interest), I described the view from our villa, as Value villas may have a savanna, pool, or parking lot view, none of which may be requested.

Returned on Saturday from a one-week stay at AKV-Jambo in a 1-bedroom Value Villa.

Loved. Loved. Loved.

I was concerned about the size of the villa, given some reviews that described it as "cramped" and "couldn't close the bedroom door." My apprehensions quickly dissolved as we acclimated to the villa.

We stayed in 5110, which was on the Ostrich Trail, with a savanna (re-classified as a standard) view. We enjoyed seeing many different animals, including Ostrich, Giraffe, Zebra, Oryx. The Giraffes were a riot! What mischief makers. The location of the villa was wonderful. Very close to the stairs and front entrance, yet very quiet.

We went to Typhoon Lagoon one day (I took a surfing lesson the morning of my birthday), and loved every minute there. The wave pool was phenomenal. My 12 y/o son and I spent nearly the entire day riding those incredible waves (we live in very close proximity to the ocean, so know how to swim fairly rigorous currents). One evening at Disney Springs; and another at Animal Kingdom (loved Pandora).

The rest of the time was simply basking in the awesomeness of this fabulous resort.

We rented a car, purchased groceries the first evening, and cooked/prepared the majority of our meals.

I spent the last day just wandering the halls, taking photos of the dozens & dozens of African artifacts. It's a museum!

And I participated in an African drumming jam session. The drums called to me. The drummers said that I had perfect timing! I just watched and followed their patterns.

We love AKV. We always try to spend a few days in late November or December. The Christmas tree in the lobby is magnificent! Love the value rooms for points but standard rooms at Jambo are also a nice use of points if we can't get value.

Hi Marypoppins14,

I'm happy you had a wonderful time and you must have had an amazing bonding experience. Yes? One of my favorite things to do at AKL is to spend time talking to the African employees working through the cultural exchange program. Did you spend much time talking to them? On my last trip I spent a a lot of time talking with a member of the Zulu tribe. He was so intelligent and I really had a great time learning about him and his culture. He must have thought I was weird. (You have to realize I grew up watching Tarzan)

How do you make reservations for the surfing at Typhoon Lagoon? Was getting the reservation difficult? What time does it start? How many people were in your session? I presume you drove over in the morning or does the bus transportation start early enough?

We just returned from a 5 night stay in this room and it was a perfect location with a fantastic view of numerous animals. The room was perfectly sized for our family and was close enough to the pool and lobby areas. We booked a concierge room for one night to try out the offerings and we were right by the side entrance, so convenient! I never request a room because we always get put in great locations but I'd definitely not hesitate to put in a request next time for this room if it is available.

Is there a room location map of all the one bedroom values.
I would like to know what the worse view we would get (parking lot)

Is there a room location map of all the one bedroom values.
I would like to know what the worse view we would get (parking lot)

The Value rooms are on the Ostrich Trail and Giraffe Trail. There are 2 1BR's that face towards the front of the resort/porte cochere. Of the remaining eight 4 of them are pool view and 4 are savannah view.

AKVJ-Floor-5.gif

Sounds like a wonderful trip! 2 week’s from tomorrow we will enjoying our own stay in a 1 bedroom value for the first time! (Have always done Studios... this may ruin us!)

THANKS !!!
What a useful map and tool. I see some great possibilities.
I did not realize that some of the savannah view studios are on the sunset savannah (love it when I get that with a value room but if I was paying the points for a savannah view and got that I am not sure I would be too happy) We got a great room (5413) last weekend !!!!!

Our 7 month window opened up just yesterday - and I was amazed to find a 1-bed value for the night we need! I'm not bothered about it being a value, as the alternative was all 3 of us adults in a studio.

As we're only there one day (moving to OKW for 9 nights on 23rd September) we don't care what view we have, tbh.

The parking lot view is not bad, you really see gardens. We have had it once, and we also had the Savannah view value across the hall, so we used that balcony....there were 4 of us, 2 adults in each studio.

Can you put in any requests when you stay value, we are staying in a 1Br value in may and would like a great view(who wouldn’t)

Loved. Loved. Loved.

Love your post and love your vacation. We have been doing the same thing lately. We stayed in a Poly Bungalow over NYE and I just didn't want to leave the bungalow. This month, we stayed in a CC Cabin and felt the same way.

That font is unreadable. Can someone please tell me what the words in brackets say after the studios and 1 bed?

I did notice I could have ticked the 'accessible room' box when booking, but did suspect that if I'd done so there would have magically have been no availability! I'm not having my scooter delivered until we get to OKW the following day, so having enough room to park it in the room doesn't matter. Also, I note that while they values are in the 'busy' part of the resort, it also means it's not far for me to manage on my walking stick. In 2016 hubby and I stayed in a studio (can't remember whether it was 5546 or 5548) and while it was considered a 'standard' view we did have a good view of the Uzima Savanna and did see a lot of animals. Trouble is, it was miles from the restaurants and shop etc. When the corridors were empty I jacked up the speed and went for it! Please note, I NEVER did this when there were people around. I either stopped completely until they'd gone past me, or slowed right down again. I certainly wouldn't want to walk it, though ...

That font is unreadable. Can someone please tell me what the words in brackets say after the studios and 1 bed?

I did notice I could have ticked the 'accessible room' box when booking, but did suspect that if I'd done so there would have magically have been no availability! I'm not having my scooter delivered until we get to OKW the following day, so having enough room to park it in the room doesn't matter. Also, I note that while they values are in the 'busy' part of the resort, it also means it's not far for me to manage on my walking stick. In 2016 hubby and I stayed in a studio (can't remember whether it was 5546 or 5548) and while it was considered a 'standard' view we did have a good view of the Uzima Savanna and did see a lot of animals. Trouble is, it was miles from the restaurants and shop etc. When the corridors were empty I jacked up the speed and went for it! Please note, I NEVER did this when there were people around. I either stopped completely until they'd gone past me, or slowed right down again. I certainly wouldn't want to walk it, though ...

Purple designates dedicated studios. The other two indicate lock offs.

Not total true. No view requests. I have done 4 stays and made the same request each time. I have always asked for an even numbered room through the email link to DVC and have gotten it each time, 3 savanna and 1 pool.
This is interesting to know. I did not think you could make any requests. How does the email link to DVC work? Where do you find it on the website? Do they respond to your email so you know they added the request? My DH and I are staying in a value studio a few nights before Christmas. We have always gotten pool view, which is fine with us. But I'd like to try for savanna. We had a reclassified standard in the fall and loved it. I realize a request is not a guarantee though.

ETA: Never mind, I figured out how to email MS. Thanks for the information though!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter