Old Key West Resort

Chris0218

Earning My Ears
I just booked a last minute vacation to celebrate my daughter graduating university and we didn't have a lot of options for rooms - we went with Old Key West. Has anyone stayed there recently? Is it really dated? We have done Disney a lot (but it has been quite a while since we have stayed) and I hope we aren't disappointed with our room.

I just booked a last minute vacation to celebrate my daughter graduating university and we didn't have a lot of options for rooms - we went with Old Key West. Has anyone stayed there recently? Is it really dated? We have done Disney a lot (but it has been quite a while since we have stayed) and I hope we aren't disappointed with our room.
One nice thing about OKW is the large rooms. The studio has two queen beds, which is really nice. We thought the bus transportation was pretty good. It seemed like we never waited long for a bus. We had booked a 2 br villa and loved it. But it is a little dated.

I believe the pool was recently closed for extended maintenance but the planned refurbs have not started yet, but will soon. I haven't been there in awhile though so someone please feel free to correct me.

It feels a bit "dated" to me in the decor but I think that might be a byproduct of the theme? I am just not a fan of the overall theme. My family does DVC and we have stayed there more nights than anywhere else, so part of it may be that I am kind of "bored" with the resort. The rooms are still nice, they're spacious, and we've never had any issues in regards to cleanliness, etc.

The biggest drawback to me of the resort is that there are a ton of bus stops and depending on where your room is it leads to a bunch of extra time on the bus. Also noise is more of a consideration depending on where your room is. It can be very peaceful, and quite scenic with all the water and the golf course. It is a little "simple" - again by design - so a lot of the appeal is going to be to personal taste. The rest of my family adores it because they're really laid back. It definitely doesn't have the same kind of fun vibe as the Pop Century or something like that.

The pool is fun and they have a fair amount of pool partys/events/activities down there.

Last edited:
It is a very nice resort, our home resort, with a theming in Key west. They play Jimmy Buffett, the landscaping is lush and fully grown in. The rooms are clean and larger with a studio having a sink, Fridge and microwave. The bus stops are very nice and you never have to wait very long. The food options are a bit lacking but the boat ride to the Springs is very nice. Don't worry at all.

I think everything depends on your expectations of your room. As others have stated it is not a hotel room, but a room as part of a timeshare. They are traditionally more "themed" than the other Deluxe resorts and as @Babrook stated the theme at OKW may seem a bit boring to many.
The rooms are the largest on property. The Key West theming is subtle and I like it. The rooms were completely redone a few years ago. We liked it very much when we stayed there.
I hope you like it.

thanks for all your input! I am sure we will enjoy no matter what. We have a 1 bedroom villa so I know there is plenty of room for just the two of us. (we booked so late we didn't have many options)

I Love OKW - it's so relaxing there - staff is great too...

Hi. We've stayed there 4 times since 2010. The resort has been refurbed in that time, the flooring changed from carpet to laminate flooring, draperies, other design pieces were changed. They've also painted the exterior of the buildings.

We love it there, the 1 bedroom villa is amazing, it has a huge deck/balcony, a very large kitchen, a full table, full laundry room. The buildings are on cul de sacs or private roads and generally are lovely. The landscaping is very mature.

As far as food goes, the choices are fine. There is a quick service at the main pool area that has basic sandwiches, salads, smoothies, etc. There is also a qs at Turtle Pond area that has good basic stuff.

OKW is the only place we use the bus most of the time. The buses come on a great schedule, the bus stops are large and comfortable and the bus stops are closest to the park entrances.

If you go to Disney expecting your hotel to give you a theme park experience, then you won't get that at OKW. But if you want to escape from the theme parks to a relaxing environment, the OKW is the best!

Enjoy your trip!

Loved taking a boat to Disney Springs! It is not within walking distance in my opinion!

I really liked the laid back vibe of OKW and loved the pool and water slide :-)

Hi. We've stayed there 4 times since 2010. The resort has been refurbed in that time, the flooring changed from carpet to laminate flooring, draperies, other design pieces were changed. They've also painted the exterior of the buildings.

We love it there, the 1 bedroom villa is amazing, it has a huge deck/balcony, a very large kitchen, a full table, full laundry room. The buildings are on cul de sacs or private roads and generally are lovely. The landscaping is very mature.

As far as food goes, the choices are fine. There is a quick service at the main pool area that has basic sandwiches, salads, smoothies, etc. There is also a qs at Turtle Pond area that has good basic stuff.

OKW is the only place we use the bus most of the time. The buses come on a great schedule, the bus stops are large and comfortable and the bus stops are closest to the park entrances.

If you go to Disney expecting your hotel to give you a theme park experience, then you won't get that at OKW. But if you want to escape from the theme parks to a relaxing environment, the OKW is the best!

Enjoy your trip!
Thank you for the info! We are definitely looking for a little relaxation while we are there as well as the amazing Disney Park experience. So the villa not being full on Disney is fine with me:)

I believe it has recently been refurbished?
No, refurbishment was scheduled to begin last January, but was delayed until Summer. Now it is off the schedule all together. Last renovation was in 2010. Most buildings do not have elevators.

I just drove/walked around the resort a couple of weeks ago. It is absolutely gorgeous on the outside. Love the colors of the buildings and the palm trees. It is very large, but there did not seem to be big crowds waiting at the bus stations. Seems like it would be a lovely place to stay.

The jerk chicken rice bowl at the quick service is quite good. The quick service is outside, but there are fun picnic tables next to the water for you to eat.

Loved taking a boat to Disney Springs! It is not within walking distance in my opinion!

I really liked the laid back vibe of OKW and loved the pool and water slide :-)

How long does the boat take to get to Disney Springs?

We were there in Jan 2018 . We loved it 2 queen beds in the studio. They have recently been redone. Great pool and buses are not very crowed, relaxing resort. Also it is a very nice boat ride to disney springs. We will be visiting OKW much more often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter