Old Generator question

eegulz

Earning My Ears
4336619D-4D0A-4AAC-BF7B-84F98CDD7A55.jpeg I have this old generator in my garage that is not running. It’s a ford engine hooked up to an Oman generator. I’m not sure if I call a mechanic or who to work on it or if it is worth something if I replace it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

I'd call a generator repair company and ask them.

I see the pipe heading up above the frame of the picture. Does that unit "reside" there and is the exhaust passed outside the building, or is it "portable" (in a sense) and just happens to be sitting in it's present location

What are the voltage outputs? 120? 240? or higher?
Does it have single phase and 3 phase output?

These specifications can help you determine the ballpark value.

The whole unit may actually be in good condition, but just need some TLC.

Take even more pictures and send them to the companies you contact.

Assuming it has been sitting a long time, it will at least need to have the fuel system serviced and need a new battery. An oil change would also be wise. An inspection of the wiring would also be in order.

When new, that was a serious piece of equipment and was not cheap.

I hope you can get it working for a reasonable cost. Let us know how things work out!

Last edited:
A quick google search reveals that it is a common, older model. May be 45KW. It was meant for commercial purposes. Is it run on natural gas or gasoline?
The company is Onan. It appears that Cummins now sells and services this now. Ballpark value is 1200 to 2500 bucks. One similar to yours but sitting on a trailer sold for $2100 in 2015 at an equipment auction.

If you have a use for it fix it as that will likely be far better than anything you are willing to purchase.... If you don't or need something smaller to run the basics sell it as is and buy a small Honda generator enjoy a nice meal or 3 and put the rest in the bank. That is a commercial unit and will have no issue powering your entire house and a neighbors as well but you would need to maintain it and store fuel for it which will not be cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter