OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

We are going back to OKW for 14 nights at the end of April (we are not DVC members), having been once before 8 years ago. I am starting to think about options for room requests - we are staying in a studio. I have always had success faxing these through wherever we have stayed onsite, but I understand that the DVC resorts don't allow this anymore. I am guessing I can call and get them added just in case we can be accommodated. Anyway, we are two adults who would love a quiet sort of room, preferably looking out over the canal, or a pond, or something natural if possible. We don't care about proximity to HH, and we also want to be away from the Turtle Pond construction. The only buildings I can see that suit this when researching are 45 and 46, but I know there must be some others. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Rather than request specific buildings, request more general things like Canal View. That way if the specific buildings aren't available, the room assigner will know what might be next-best for you.

We are going back to OKW for 14 nights at the end of April (we are not DVC members), having been once before 8 years ago. I am starting to think about options for room requests - we are staying in a studio. I have always had success faxing these through wherever we have stayed onsite, but I understand that the DVC resorts don't allow this anymore. I am guessing I can call and get them added just in case we can be accommodated. Anyway, we are two adults who would love a quiet sort of room, preferably looking out over the canal, or a pond, or something natural if possible. We don't care about proximity to HH, and we also want to be away from the Turtle Pond construction. The only buildings I can see that suit this when researching are 45 and 46, but I know there must be some others. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
You want to be careful requesting Bldg 45 for a quiet villa. If you are on the end closest to the stop sign, you'll hear bus and car brakes all day long. We were in the one bedroom villa on the first floor on the end and that was one minor annoyance that I had.

OKW doesn't accept faxes. If you booked with cash, call Disney Reservation Center and add general requests like Canal view or water view. Maybe South Point. If you booked through a broker, contact the broker and have them request the member add your requests to the reservation. You used to be able to request the neighborhood and water view or canal view in the past. Not sure what you can request now.

I really liked building 46, but were on the top floor in a 2 bedroom villa with an unobstructed view of the canal (and the turn to DS). I am not sure if it has a studio, but the location (canal view) was grand.

As far as quiet, the only noise we heard was the shuttle boats beeping as they enter the turn; it was not annoying.

OKW 28.jpg

HI, we're looking into a 2 bedroom for this August (renting points)-I love that view! that's what I would like, a view of the canal-any other suggestions for 2 bedroom canal views? Is building 45 and 55 good as well?
Building 46-how long of a walk to the hospitality area? Thanks!

45 and 46 have roughly the same views of the canal. 55 has a canal view, not quite as good, but still a very nice view.

Here is a view from the second floor of bldg 45 in December:

24991018_1614495091944180_4743268094326264479_n.jpg

Last edited:
HI, we're looking into a 2 bedroom for this August (renting points)-I love that view! that's what I would like, a view of the canal-any other suggestions for 2 bedroom canal views? Is building 45 and 55 good as well?
Building 46-how long of a walk to the hospitality area? Thanks!

Building 46 to HH took me about 5 minutes to walk; the sidewalk is on the opposite side of the canal.

Just returned from a two night stay at OKW. I extended my trip and figured OKW would be a nice relaxing way to end my WDW stay this time around. I had booked a studio in the HH area...fine. My friend was going to stay with me, but decided to stay at YC, so I decided to add my dd to the reservation and take the friend off. I called MS, two days prior to my OKW checkin, and asked them to make the changes. Ok. That got done. The next day, I checked my reservation, to make sure it was okay. I noticed that I had been assigned a 'handicapped accessible' room...I hadn't asked for one, but okay, I can live with that. Then I notice that while my friend is off the reservation, my dd isn't listed. The reservation shows me, with my regular avatar, and me, again, with the plain MM head you get if you don't choose an avatar!!! If I went into the reservation to add dd, it said she was already listed on it, and to choose another guest to add. Okay, I'm confused. So, I get to OKW, around 3 on my checkin day. I get in line to check on the handicap accessible room...don't want to take if if someone really needs it. The CM, working the line, told me it wasn't an issue, that I was assigned that villa because my stay was so short. Okay. I stay in line to make sure they have my cell phone number, which sometimes gets lost! I get to the desk, and get the same CM I had just talked to. I explained that I wanted to make sure my phone number is on file, and that my dd is listed on the reservation. So, no phone number. But, dd is listed as the lead person on the reservation!! Seriously?? And none of my regular info is listed..no phone, credit card, or room area requests. The CM goes away for a bit, comes back and says it's all set, and profusely apologizes...actually, apologized too often, it got annoying!! She says they had to cancel the first reservation and redo it. So, she needs all my info again. Fine. We get that all done...she then tells me they have a room for me in South Pt Rd, close to the playground, but it's not quite ready. Ah....no. I calmly told her that that villa wasn't going to work for me...that I had booked a HH villa due to my being there such a short time. She looked at me as if I had refused the suite in the Castle!!! Off she went again. When she came back, 5 mins later, I held up my phone with my confirmation showing the HH area had been booked, trying to make sure she didn't think I was fibbing in order to get that area!!! Her response? 'I'm so sorry but we have nothing in that area that's available'. I told her that I had booked that area, and was pretty disappointed that it now wasn't available. Away she went again. Came back, saying that they thought they had a good compromise. They had a room in bldg 27, Peninsula Rd, for me, and that it was ready now. Fine, I guess. Yes, it was right next to the bus stop. Yes, I could walk over to the HH area, which is why I originally booked that area. But, it was disappointing that I had to go through all that, and end up in an area that I hadn't booked. I had asked for a ground floor studio since I was on my own and wasn't crazy about lugging my checked bag down stairs. But, no ground floor rooms were open, so I got a second floor villa. I guess I got lucky...it could have been a third floor!!!
While the studio was fine, I was very disappointed in the whole experience. I guess 'stuff' happens but man, it all seemed to happen to me on that check in!!!

Sorry you had a less than stellar experience. I'm thinking that the refurbishment construction with buildings going down for remodel is wreaking havoc with the reservation assignments. There don't seem to be any set dates for particular buildings. I have a HH reservation for end of May/first of June that I hope goes smoothly. I rarely reserve that area, but decided to do so for this solo trip as I would not need two entrances to the master bath (I'm in a one bedroom).

Does anyone know if the refurb will open the laundry room to the master bath in the early units, below bldg30? It seams like an doable modification.

That would be a wonderful change, but I would assume they aren't going to remove a wall and replace it with a door, even though it would be quick and easy to do. But you know what happens when you assume something.... ;)

Does anyone know if the refurb will open the laundry room to the master bath in the early units, below bldg30? It seams like an doable modification.
Agree that that would be easy. But its been 20+ years, and several refurbs, since they were originally built and they haven't yet seen fit to make the change.

This time they are ripping out the shower, all the tile on walls and floor. Just hopping they/we can spring for the cost of a door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter