• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW - Car or no?

Texa

DIS Veteran
We will be heading down to OKW for the first time in NOV. I wonder if those of you who are experienced with OKW think it would be best to rent a car or no. It would cost about the same amount as the town car we were going to rent for the airport transfer to rent a car for the entire week. My mom and aunt are going for the first time and I'm thinking renting the car would be the way to go in case we are quite a distance from the main building. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I would. Especially if you are going with a towncar instead of using DME.

now if you are using DME you will be fine without a car.

but if you are going with pay service in the first place.

you can order groceries from these people

www.wegoshop.com

We love OKW & stay there almost exclusively. There is no way I would do it without a car.

Don't get me wrong, there are numerous bus stops throughout the resort but the convenience of a car, especially when a) the cost is essentially the same as car service (as you already said) & b) you can park in front of your unit & come & go with ease. IMO the buses are a pain - crowded, numerous stops to get from point a to point b, virtually impossible resort-to-resort access, etc. When we're ready to go somewhere (or go "home" from the parks for that matter) we just go.

The buses are a great feature if you are trying to stick to a budget but if you are already planning on spending x amount for car service I would absolutely, positively, without a doubt rent a car.

Have fun!
::MinnieMo

Since you'd be using a towncar service anyway, and the cost is close to the same, I'd rent the car.

If it costs about the same as a towncar, I would definiately get the car. OKW is very large and while the busses & bus stops are plentiful, I think having your own car gives you a lot more flexibility.

SueOKW said:
Bus = GOOD.

Car = BETTER!

We actually got a better rent a car rate by renting the car at the Disney Car Care Center. We used Magical Express and once we were onsite, a prescheduled shuttle came to pick my husband up to get the rent a car. We then just returned it to the airport.

In addition to getting around the resort, a car is great for a food shopping pick up and you can go more than once, shopping the offsite outlets, eating a meal or two offsite,.......

We've been renting a car everytime we've gone down for the last 4 years and couldn't see going without one. We love the extra bit of 'freedom' it gives us.

DH and I took a quick trip last month and used ME and decided not to rent a car since it was just a weekend. We noticed very quickly how much we missed our car. We like to eat at different resorts and it took a lot more planning to do that without a car. If you can get the car for the same price as just a trip from the airport, why not go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter