Offsite Arrival Day

klo1335

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to think of something fun we can do on our arrival day. We are staying offsite at Storey Lake and get in on Saturday Nov 17th at 4:30pm. The other family we are going with are driving and hope to be there by 6:30pm. I was thinking of going to Old Town but feel just meh about it. Looked at some Disney resort restaurants but I really don't feel like paying to park for the 2 hours of eating. Looking for something low key.

Any suggestions?

We are going in January, and I'm thinking about going to the board walk and walking around

I'm trying to think of something fun we can do on our arrival day. We are staying offsite at Storey Lake and get in on Saturday Nov 17th at 4:30pm. The other family we are going with are driving and hope to be there by 6:30pm. I was thinking of going to Old Town but feel just meh about it. Looked at some Disney resort restaurants but I really don't feel like paying to park for the 2 hours of eating. Looking for something low key.

Any suggestions?
You don’t have to pay to park at a Disney Resort if you are stopping in for dinner.

We like AKL for Sanaa or Jiko. You can walk around the grounds and view the various savannas. Night vision goggles are also available to try out. :)

Any suggestions?

You could do minigolf at Fantasia Gardens and then eat at and walk around the Boardwalk.

You could head to Disney Springs - lots to eat there and you could also bowl or do The Void.

I also like PP's idea of eating at and walking around Animal Kingdom Lodge - I have done this before and it is very nice. Similarly, you could go to the Polynesian, Contemporary or Grand Floridian and eat and watch the fireworks. You could even do quick service if you didn't want to fuss with a reservation. They all have pretty nice quick service options.

You could head to Disney Springs - lots to eat there and you could also bowl or do The Void.

We already have reservations for dinner on the Wednesday at Disney Springs.

So if I make a reservation and eat dinner, I won't have to pay to park? I can' just show them the reservation in the app?

We already have reservations for dinner on the Wednesday at Disney Springs.

So if I make a reservation and eat dinner, I won't have to pay to park? I can' just show them the reservation in the app?
You can also just tell them you’re checking out the resort and you’ll be allowed to park...only a possible problem at Epcot resorts during events such as a Food & Wine, etc.

We sometimes stop in to AoA to eat at the food court and have gelato for dessert. There’s never been a problem parking. :)

Having a reservation helps - they may ask to see it but as PP said, most resorts will allow you in to just look around, eat at quick service, visit gift shop as long as it is not "peak" times or they think you are trying to avoid parking at TTC, etc.

I haven't been to Old town in years. I used to love it there.

Go to a comedy show or something. Or like a murder mystery dinner thing. There's a bunch of those in Orlando. We did one and got free tickets to a comedy club. The guy that played Uncle Joey (Dave Cooly...something) on Full House was there.

My wife and I are partial to indoor glow in the dark mini golf. That requires at least 3 shots of tequila and a cab ride though. LOL

It's Orlando. Do something tacky and non Disney-ish for one night.

It's Orlando. Do something tacky and non Disney-ish for one night.

hahaha! This is kinda what I was leaning towards. We are flying from Philly but our friends are driving and will probably be exhausted and just want to have some drinks and crash. :)

you never have to pay to park at Disney springs. Now if you are staying at a Disney hotel then you are charged a parking fee - but this does not include DVC or guests only there for dinning.

Sounds like that is a good option for everyone - just be sure to go to the grocery store in case your friends want to stay at the villa. Grocery stores sell liquor in florida - generally in a separte building - but it make it easier to get everything at one time

just be sure to go to the grocery store in case your friends want to stay at the villa.

Yes, I am going to do grocery pick-up from Walmart and get them after we check in at condo :)

My DD had a great question, she wants to know if you can see any of the fireworks from the resorts? I know you can see the MK fireworks from some of the resorts but how about Illuminations? Can you see them from the boardwalk?

need the address for where you are staying to check that. the MK has the highest of the fireworks - so maybe - just depends upon where you are.

you can definitely see most of Epcot fireworks from the broadwalk - you have to walk to where the bridge is - so about a 5 to 10 minute walk - depends upon your age and how much you walk. You can see the MK fireworks from broadwalk (or you could) it is across the lake where the BC is - think it is behind the pool at the BC?

they have moved where they set the fireworks for the MK - so not sure anymore.

most of the show at Epcot illiuminations is lower - so you can not see of it. You have to be in the park around the world showcase to see most of it.

This probably isn't going to help you for ideas, but this is our arrival day tradition:

-Lunch at Olive Garden
-Shop at Walmart... groceries, etc. before checkin
-Check-in, stock fridge, unpack
-Pool
-Get a pizza or something at the resort for dinner
-Sleep because we've been up since oh dark thirty for the flight

Exciting? Maybe not. Relaxing? Definitely. It is vacation after all. There's another 9 days for activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter