Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Ok, I have red through the first page and done some searches of the thread...couple of questions!

1. Is the Boardwalk Bakery able to do the bailey’s mousse filling for a mini cake? If not, is the contemporary? (Bon voyage breakfast at trattoria, chef Mickey’s at Contemporary). If neither, what locations would? (We had this back in 2013 and it was so delicious!!!)

2. Is the alcohol in the bailey’s mousse cooked off in process? I would assume yes, but should know for sure :) (Child with us)

3. Can either bakery above do an egg free cake? I did see the note about Erin mcKennas, but it also said “usually” - not always - so I thought I’d ask. More of an intolerance than an allergy (anaphylaxis is not a concern at all). I’d love to get DH a Disney cake if I can, but our daughter will be with us and don’t want her left out of the celebration!

4. Can mini cakes be made with Star Wars characters/inspiration? (I saw a pic here of a cake that had what looked like a chocolate millennium falcon on the side? That would be awesome..DH loves the ships more than anything (falcon, Death Star, x wing..). I saw something about a potential policy change earlier this year re:Star Wars cakes? Trying to figure out if I need to come up with a different theme!$

It’s DH’s 40th birthday and I would love to surprise him with a cake. It’s been a while since we’ve been to wdw (been at Disneyland recently), so i haven’t kept up with this thread in a few years! TIA

I ordered a cake through Jane at the Wilderness Lodge to be served at Whispering Canyon last week on Wednesday (12/12) and I have to say, the entire thing was a complete disappointment and I will never order another cake through Disney. Flaming disaster. I spoke with Jane multiple times, emailed her multiple times, thought I had given her clear ideas of what I wanted. She insisted she could do what I wanted.... cake comes out at the restaurant and it looks nothing like what I ordered. And the kicker, she billed me twice what she originally quoted. The waiter was very nice, I told him my frustration and while he could not change my son's birthday cake he did go back and speak to a manager and get the birthday cake bill adjusted down to the original quoted amount. Jane was not nice to work with either, she was salty and not very friendly or pleasant. Even getting off the phone the way she would bark, " have a magical day" it was more like she was trying to put a curse on me. I don't know what her deal is or why she was so miserable to me, I really tried to be nice to her every time I spoke to her and treat her with kindness because I don't know what her issue was and I was trying to just ensure my son's cake would turn out nice but nope! My cake was crap. So if you deal with Jane at Wilderness all I can say is good luck on that!

As for the cake flavor, I asked for buttercream and got fondant which I loathe so I did not care for the cake. we tossed out 2/3rds of it. It wasn't even a fancy cake, no idea why they put the fondant on there when I specifically told them NOT to use fondant. I asked for a 2d image of Hook and Pan, didn't get that. The cake was mushy, no one liked it. They got the wording wrong on the cake. I'll always remember Jane at the Wilderness for ruining my son's 5th birthday cake. You know the saying, fool me once. Never letting Disney ruin another birthday cake for me.

An UP house with balloons would be cute!

Here's an Up minicake someone got from the Contemporary a few years ago that you could use for inspiration:

Up%20Balloon%20Mini%20Cake_zps5oe0ux2g.jpg

And here's an 8-inch Up themed cake:

up_cake_gemologygal_zpst8nl3tbf.jpg

Thank you for your thoughts and idea!

I left a message for George at the Contemporary last Tuesday and I heard back from him today (Sunday). I told him we really just wanted a cake that said “celebrating our new home” and maybe some keys on it. Also, that my budget was $150.00 and I wanted white chocolate mousse filling with berries. The rest I would leave up the pastry team. He told me I needed to give them more direction as they won’t make anything without a clear creative plan. I wasn’t expecting that, but it was completely fine. He went through some cake ideas and even though I have never seen “Up!” We settled on a similar theme except with the house actually piped out on the cake and not paper/cardboard. I’m excited to see the end result this Thursday! I will post a photo on the board. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
I feel like every time I come back here I have so much information to catch up on. Things are always changing.

With that in mind I have a trip planned for the end of January. It's a couples trip and I'm interested in getting a Star Wars themed cake for a belated birthday. So far my dinner reservations, where this might be an option, are Ale & Compass and The Wave. I know I've seen some pictures over the years and the one where they did a Chewbacca style cake with the fur and his belt looked pretty cool. Not sure if I'm stuck with an 8 inch cake at that point or not. I believe that was from the Contemporary but couldn't find it searching the thread. Any pictures and info on cost of some Star Wars cakes would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I ordered a cake through Jane at the Wilderness Lodge to be served at Whispering Canyon last week on Wednesday (12/12) and I have to say, the entire thing was a complete disappointment and I will never order another cake through Disney. Flaming disaster. I spoke with Jane multiple times, emailed her multiple times, thought I had given her clear ideas of what I wanted. She insisted she could do what I wanted.... cake comes out at the restaurant and it looks nothing like what I ordered. And the kicker, she billed me twice what she originally quoted. The waiter was very nice, I told him my frustration and while he could not change my son's birthday cake he did go back and speak to a manager and get the birthday cake bill adjusted down to the original quoted amount. Jane was not nice to work with either, she was salty and not very friendly or pleasant. Even getting off the phone the way she would bark, " have a magical day" it was more like she was trying to put a curse on me. I don't know what her deal is or why she was so miserable to me, I really tried to be nice to her every time I spoke to her and treat her with kindness because I don't know what her issue was and I was trying to just ensure my son's cake would turn out nice but nope! My cake was crap. So if you deal with Jane at Wilderness all I can say is good luck on that!

As for the cake flavor, I asked for buttercream and got fondant which I loathe so I did not care for the cake. we tossed out 2/3rds of it. It wasn't even a fancy cake, no idea why they put the fondant on there when I specifically told them NOT to use fondant. I asked for a 2d image of Hook and Pan, didn't get that. The cake was mushy, no one liked it. They got the wording wrong on the cake. I'll always remember Jane at the Wilderness for ruining my son's 5th birthday cake. You know the saying, fool me once. Never letting Disney ruin another birthday cake for me.

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience!! Makes me a little worried considering you did everything you could to be clear and confirmed multiple times. I only confirmed once last week (from Epcot Bakery) and was taking the "hope it turns out well" approach since everything seemed fine and I have no particular design requests other than "PRINCESSES". Maybe I'll call again to double check though. Do you have any photos of the cake? It sucks that you didn't get what you asked for. Maybe you should contact guest services and just explain what an unusual (and okay BAD) experience you had. Since you did not get at all what you asked for and what you were quoted they may even refund you for it. Maybe they can talk to Jane and prevent it happening to someone else?

I feel like every time I come back here I have so much information to catch up on. Things are always changing.

With that in mind I have a trip planned for the end of January. It's a couples trip and I'm interested in getting a Star Wars themed cake for a belated birthday. So far my dinner reservations, where this might be an option, are Ale & Compass and The Wave. I know I've seen some pictures over the years and the one where they did a Chewbacca style cake with the fur and his belt looked pretty cool. Not sure if I'm stuck with an 8 inch cake at that point or not. I believe that was from the Contemporary but couldn't find it searching the thread. Any pictures and info on cost of some Star Wars cakes would be appreciated.

Thanks!
We had this one done by the GF team, delivered to Poly. I was told it could only be 8” (I’d originally asked about a 6). YMMV with a different chef!

ETA: I believe the cost was around $80?
35549740-31FB-49EC-AB81-127E990ADEB2.jpeg

Ok, I have red through the first page and done some searches of the thread...couple of questions!

1. Is the Boardwalk Bakery able to do the bailey’s mousse filling for a mini cake? If not, is the contemporary? (Bon voyage breakfast at trattoria, chef Mickey’s at Contemporary). If neither, what locations would? (We had this back in 2013 and it was so delicious!!!)

Your best bet is the Grand Floridian, though they may tell you it's only available if a wedding cake is being made with that filling. You can also ask the other two resorts—you never know!

2. Is the alcohol in the bailey’s mousse cooked off in process? I would assume yes, but should know for sure :) (Child with us)

Yes.

3. Can either bakery above do an egg free cake? I did see the note about Erin mcKennas, but it also said “usually” - not always - so I thought I’d ask. More of an intolerance than an allergy (anaphylaxis is not a concern at all). I’d love to get DH a Disney cake if I can, but our daughter will be with us and don’t want her left out of the celebration!

It's best to discuss that with the pastry team contact at the resort you choose. Usually they try to steer you toward Babycakes at Disney Springs for any allergy issues, but if you explain that it's just an intolerance, the pastry team might be willing to try to work with you.

4. Can mini cakes be made with Star Wars characters/inspiration? (I saw a pic here of a cake that had what looked like a chocolate millennium falcon on the side? That would be awesome..DH loves the ships more than anything (falcon, Death Star, x wing..). I saw something about a potential policy change earlier this year re:Star Wars cakes? Trying to figure out if I need to come up with a different theme!$

They've gotten weird about Star Wars branding lately, but it never hurts to ask.

I wanted to give everyone an update on the cake. I ordered a cake Last Tuesday(12/11) with Pat at the Grand Floridian. We were having dinner at Ohana (12/15) for my sisters 18th birthday. We had to change our original plans due to a family emergency. We went with a Baton theme as I did not want anything too elaborate. I knew it was the last minute and I just wanted something on the table. She was completely surprised by the cake and that's all I wanted. She loved it and that made dinner very special.
Two tables near me asked me about the process as they never knew you could get a custom cake. They thought the only option was the mickey dome or the mickey buttercream cake. I was charged $90 and I think it was a little expensive for what we got. Maybe all the white chocolate pieces really added up? However, she enjoyed it and I had an overall pleasant experience. I would definitely order another cake in the future.

20181215_205542 (1).jpg

Thanks!

I ordered a Boba Fett helmet themed caked while staying at Pop Century in September so the cake came from Boardwalk Bakery. I did have to get approval from Legal. It was an 8 inch cake and cost just under $125.

upload_2018-12-18_7-44-37.png
upload_2018-12-18_7-45-44.png

2 more cakes on my "trying to keep them cheap" cakes. . .

IMG_0658 by Jim, on Flickr
35 dollars. 6 inch.

IMG_1907 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_1909 by Jim, on Flickr
55 dollars. 8 inch.

both from beach/ yacht club.

i think they did a great job with both of these. i didn't ask for a thing with both except for the scroll and the clip art. the colors and extra design work was on their own.

Just got off of the phone with private dining at AKL and ordered an 8 inch custom cake to be delivered to our room on Jan 26. I didn’t realize they will only deliver a custom cake to the room while you are there so it will be waking us bright and early at 6:15! They were unable to do 6 inch custom for me but were very accommodating to what I wanted otherwise. The private dining receptionist kept going to talk to the bakers about what they could do for me. Here are the details we came up with:
Marble cake with peanut butter cup filling and vanilla buttercream frosting
Theme: girly, glittery, Minnie Mouse ears in pink or purple
I was told 40$ for the cake $6 to add peanut butter cup mousse and $25 for the ears which will be sprayed and glittered and made to look similar to the ears in the park. To say Happy Birthday Brielle and Amanda (for my daughter and me)

Total with gratuity and delivery they told me it would be around $80. I will report back next month with my result!

Just got off of the phone with private dining at AKL and ordered an 8 inch custom cake to be delivered to our room on Jan 26. I didn’t realize they will only deliver a custom cake to the room while you are there so it will be waking us bright and early at 6:15!

That is weird... All the other resorts will deliver cakes (custom or otherwise) to your room at any time, as long as you are checked in. You don't usually have to be there. If you want to avoid the early wakeup call, it might be worth calling back ...

That is weird... All the other resorts will deliver cakes (custom or otherwise) to your room at any time, as long as you are checked in. You don't usually have to be there. If you want to avoid the early wakeup call, it might be worth calling back ...
She said because it is custom they will only deliver while there. If it were the Mickey head cake or strawberries or something like that they would deliver while we were out. I may call back a different day to try to work that out.

I wanted it to be a surprise we come back to.

Called last Wednesday and got through to Dorothy at CBR right away. She was a delight! All I said I wanted was a mini cake in Christmas colors and for it to say “Welcome Home”. I think it turned out great and my family was super surprised! I was quoted $40 but it was $35 when I got the bill at Sebastian’s. It was chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream and was super yummy!! I’ve seen a lot that folks say the mini cakes only serve two but there were four of us and we still had some left over. Could’ve been that we were just super full from dinner and didn’t have space but it definitely seemed bigger in person than it did in photos.

Attachments

• 760DD77E-6434-4EED-B2F7-2986930240C7.jpeg
    760DD77E-6434-4EED-B2F7-2986930240C7.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 309
Just posting for some advice and to share my experience as it happens with ordering a cake at the Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom. I called the phone number listed in this thread for Animal Kingdom, and they told me I would have to call Yak and Yeti to order the cake. The lady wasn't able to transfer me, but gave me the number for Yak and Yeti. I gave them a call, and Y&Y said they would email me the cake order form. I just got the cake order form and am getting ready to email it back.

As this thread mentions, the cake form is VERY simple - choose vanilla or chocolate cake with vanilla or chocolate icing. Choose Celebration Sprinkles, Piped Border, or Icing Flower. then a space to add a personal message and choose up to two personalization colors.

I saw another cake in this thread that was pretty simple - mostly green with purple flowers, and said "Never Grow Up!" on it. My mom likes Tinkerbell, so I thought this would be a good way to do a lower cost cake since I don't have much in the way of character options. So for the cake order form, I'm thinking I'll do - Chocolate Cake / Vanilla Icing, Celebration Sprinkles and Icing Flower, Personalized Message: "Never Grow Up! Happy Birthday, Mom", Personalization Colors: Green and Purple. I'll probably return it via email tomorrow, so I am open to ideas/suggestions if anyone has them! :)

I'll report back with my experience and of course photos!

Just posting for some advice and to share my experience as it happens with ordering a cake at the Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom. I called the phone number listed in this thread for Animal Kingdom, and they told me I would have to call Yak and Yeti to order the cake. The lady wasn't able to transfer me, but gave me the number for Yak and Yeti. I gave them a call, and Y&Y said they would email me the cake order form. I just got the cake order form and am getting ready to email it back.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Yak & Yeti is owned by an outside vendor and gets their cakes made off-site by a service. I'm excited to see how the cake turns out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!