Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Just FYI... I know this seems to have happened before after races so I thought I’d mention it.

Just heard from AMEX that a charge was attempted on my card on Active.com today. They flagged it and a couple of other charges and didn’t let them go through. Getting a new card by Monday.

Last edited:
Just FYI... I know this seems to have happened before after races so I thought I’d mention it.

Just heard from AMEX that a charge was attempted on my card on Active.com today. They flagged it and a couple of other charges and didn’t let them go through. Getting a new card by Monday.

Me too! Getting a new SW Chase card. They called me on the 25th and said someone called them on 23rd with my card number pretending to be a secondary card member on my account attempting to gain access to my account but couldn’t answer security questions, so was denied. No weird charges. Scary. Closed account and sending me a new one. I had assumed it has something to do with the expo because I remember hearing about that before.

I haven’t had any charges made but then again aside from my hotel balance I used cash and gift card however going to all 4 parks over the weekend the security at DAK was rather interesting as it’s the only time the guard was so invasive that they actually went in my wallet and he said they were checking for card skimmers

First ever runDisney event was a success, thanks in part to info and advice on this thread!

My mom and I were in “Wave 2” of Coral F for the 5K ... our first ever race ... we pretty much maintained the 16 min pace, which was an accomplishment for me ... funny how fear of seeing a ballon lady can motivate you! (We never saw the balloon ladies, jogged a bit, actually passed quite a few people and even got slowed down by coming up on crowds a few times ... which, to be honest, was unexpected yet oddly inspiring.). Not sure I’ll ever become a truly dedicated runner, but I plan to keep working on my 5K time and would totally do another RD event if given the opportunity.

My sister and brother-in-law were in wave 2 of Coral B and they finished in around 32 mins, a time they were both happy with. Since they basically finished shortly after we started, they took advantage of the post race characters while waiting for us to finish. Speaking of my brother-in-law, we managed to keep the trip a secret until 2 hours before we left for the airport. At first he was kind of stunned, but when we added that he would get to complete his first RD event on his actual 40th birthday, a huge grin just exploded across his face.

We were all super impressed with how well organized everything was from the Expo to transportation and all aspects of race day. We ended up with a whole bunch of awesome PhotoPass photos even though we didn’t stop for any photos out on the course. Fortunately, the airline changed our flights, so we ended up arriving earlier on Thursday and were able to make it to the Expo ... so glad we didn’t end up having to try to pick up bibs the morning of.

This is disconcerting. Is the fraudulent activity a result of using your card at the expo or using the card online at active.com

This is disconcerting. Is the fraudulent activity a result of using your card at the expo or using the card online at active.com
Don't know. It is the same card that I used both for registrations and for buying some merchandise at the expo.

Annoying to have to get a new card, but AMEX is really amazing about stuff like this. They got to me right away, hadn't put the charge through, shipped a new card to me FedEx next day, and automatically give the new card number to any automatic payments I have going to it. About as good as can be expected!

(We never saw the balloon ladies, jogged a bit, actually passed quite a few people and even got slowed down by coming up on crowds a few times ... which, to be honest, was unexpected yet oddly inspiring.).

Congrats on your first rD event! The reason you didn't see any balloon ladies during the 5K is that there ARE no balloon ladies during the 5K. The 5K is untimed and considered a "fun run" and they don't sweep during this event.

Me too! Getting a new SW Chase card. They called me on the 25th and said someone called them on 23rd with my card number pretending to be a secondary card member on my account attempting to gain access to my account but couldn’t answer security questions, so was denied. No weird charges. Scary. Closed account and sending me a new one. I had assumed it has something to do with the expo because I remember hearing about that before.
I haven’t had any charges made but then again aside from my hotel balance I used cash and gift card however going to all 4 parks over the weekend the security at DAK was rather interesting as it’s the only time the guard was so invasive that they actually went in my wallet and he said they were checking for card skimmers
Don't know. It is the same card that I used both for registrations and for buying some merchandise at the expo.

Annoying to have to get a new card, but AMEX is really amazing about stuff like this. They got to me right away, hadn't put the charge through, shipped a new card to me FedEx next day, and automatically give the new card number to any automatic payments I have going to it. About as good as can be expected!

My Chase Disney/SW Visa was hit, too - got a fraud alert this past Friday, two charges attempted on Monday, April 23. I only used the card once, to pay for dinner at DHS Sunday night. Unless the server at DHS was also skimming cards all over WDW, I don't see how that could have been where my number was taken. Other interesting points: I did not use it to register for W&D and never had it out of my wallet during DS weekend. I also had my Amex with me during DS weekend, though I never used it. I did use Amex to register for W&D, but that was the day registration opened. So far, it has not been compromised. The timing seems too coincidental not to be connected to DS weekend, and one of the fraudulent charges was a local purchase in Orlando, but I find it hard to connect any dots.

Chase has a global office in downtown Orlando. I wonder if any card payment processing is done there. Maybe an employee(s) there got card info since a lot of the purchases are local.

Chase has a global office in downtown Orlando. I wonder if any card payment processing is done there. Maybe an employee(s) there got card info since a lot of the purchases are local.
I'd be thinking Chase breach, except that some of the folks who seem to have been hit at the same time reported non-Chase cards being hit.

I'd be thinking Chase breach, except that some of the folks who seem to have been hit at the same time reported non-Chase cards being hit.

I didn't realize that other cards were getting hit. I've only noticed that they were chase cards. I have Chase and Capitol One that I've used at the expo and on Active. Knock on wood, but so far so good.

I have had 1 card hit before my trip (PNC Bank Debit Visa) and 5 cards hit since. No reason or similarity between cards, Home Depot, Dillards Store (Have not used in 7 years), JcPenney, One Bank Mastercard and Visa. Luckily, all of the cards have been paid off for awhile. The charges seem to be coming from Miami. They even called 2 of the companies to try and have new cards sent to a Miami address. I have had my chase disney rewards card hit 2 times in 3 years. Went to the credit sites today and lock my report!

I know after a previous race a lot of people assumed that numbers were stolen from active.com but here is why I question that. Active.com has had credit card numbers for month and month due to how RD registration works. Why wait till after the event to do something?

Whatever is happening to cards I thnk is something happening physically at disney. My first thought is a dealer or something at the expo but could be coming from a few places. But to come after the event seems to me to point more to something happening at the event. Still is scary the number of these we are getting after every event.

I know after a previous race a lot of people assumed that numbers were stolen from active.com but here is why I question that. Active.com has had credit card numbers for month and month due to how RD registration works. Why wait till after the event to do something?

Whatever is happening to cards I thnk is something happening physically at disney. My first thought is a dealer or something at the expo but could be coming from a few places. But to come after the event seems to me to point more to something happening at the event. Still is scary the number of these we are getting after every event.
Not to mention the monthly data breeches from Equifax to Yahoo! I think mine is a combination result of those two breeches.

Finally got up with this thread after getting back late Saturday evening and life being insanely busy immediately upon return.

1. Thanks to everyone who posted their Expo experiences on opening day of the Expo. I was checking to see reports on the BB-8 figurine and felt reasonably confident that there would be at least one by the time I got to the Expo Thursday afternoon. My little sister and I arrived in Orlando at 6:00am and decided to go the parks first instead of the Expo since the parks opened before the Expo. The Expo went well, although my credit card probably doesn't agree. I did "come to my senses" and only bought the I Conquered It challenge shirt, instead of that one and the 5K and 10K shirts. Something about Star Wars makes me go crazy at race expos. I did get the BB-8 figurine, the weekend magnet, 5K pin, the running shoe Star Wars ornaments, and the race weekend shirt. I also kept the jacket. Thanks to the heads up from these boards about sizes, my sister was able to exchange her tiny jacket for a better size.

It may be a minority opinion and an unpopular one at that, but I was glad to see no Kessel Run merchandise. The current virtual component of the Kessel Run makes it substantially easier to do the Kessel Run than it was in 2016 and 2017, so I was glad to see that the awesome Kessel Run merchandise that was available in 2016 and 2017 remained exclusive to runners who did the Light Side Half at Disneyland and Dark Side Half at Disney World.

2. This was my first 5K. I was expecting insane crowds that never materialized. Don't get me wrong as it was crowded, but not what I feared after hearing reports from others. I also learned that I should have tried for a character pic before the race. Mostly because moving in a line is less stressful on my feet than standing around in the corral. Since Epcot is my favorite WDW park, I loved running through it for the 5K. Or leisurely walking through it and spending a lot of time in photo lines. My unofficial 5K time is about 10 minutes slower than my 10K PR. I also lost my drivers license near the Emperor's Throne, but before I finished the race, I saw a missed phone call from runDisney telling me they had my license. So that running belt was an epic failure and will need to be replaced.

3. Loved the 10K. In many ways, this is a great distance. Long enough to challenge me, but not so long as to wipe me out the way a half does. I think the 10K medal weighs more than the all the other medals combined. My Jedi Prince Phillip costume worked well. I'll post pics later.

4. I may not love the time it takes me to run a half, but I have so much fun at Star Wars races. For me the character stops came at great points to give me a brief break. I loved the CM telling us that as a reward for our perseverance, General Hux would allow us to run through the Animal Kingdom on its 20th anniversary. I eventually settled into a good rhythm with the 3:15 pacers and even discussed running the full with them, but fell behind when I got into the Studios and stopped for the photo with Kylo Ren and Rey. I very briefly tried to catch back up with them after that photo stop, but my knee began to protest, so I didn't pursue that any further. I knew I was still very safe to finish and didn't want to risk that needlessly. Whatever time I may have ended up with got destroyed by the Imperial group shot right by mile 13. Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, stormtroopers, a Royal Guard, and Imperial officers all in one photo! Forget my time, I'm getting this photo. I'm guessing that was a 20-30 minute wait and my finishing time was 3:36. But I finished and that's what matters.

Side note. If you want the volunteers to put the medal around your neck, bend down when you get to them. I noticed that during the 10K as they were handing medals to the runners. Well, I bent down and the volunteer put it around my neck.

I loved the weather. Yes, it was humid, but I felt like last year was tougher during the half. The rest of the week was definitely cooler than last year.

Congratulations to all who finished. Glad that those who experienced difficulties are okay. The April timing of Dark Side means this may be my final Dark Side race weekend ever, so I'm glad I got to experience it 2 years in a row.

Someone posted this picked up at Dark Side on facebook, looks like the virtual Star Wars half will be back in 2019.

The question is are they going to do kessell again? They kinda had to do something this year because of the number of people who signed up for SWDS wanting to get Kessell while waiting for word on SWLS and those registrations were locked in before they cancelled SWLS. So making Kessell half virtual was a good compromise.

However that will not be the case in 2019. Keeping a star wars virtual is a good idea for marketing and money but does continuing to do Kessell as half virtual/half physical make sense? Guess we'll have to wait and see what gets announced. I got the first 2 Kessell medals. Didn't bother this year because I'm not a big virtual race runner and it didn't have the same draw without the C2C component and even though kessell is one of the very best RD medals I had two of them. If they bring it back, I'll debate again doing it but not sure if I would.

I just wonder if they will bring it back since they don't need to this year since people will sign up for SWDS knowing what the situation is (regardless of what it is).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter