Not in a Happy mood today about ABD, when I should be.

Thanks, @calypso726!! I just got an email from ABD and your (our :) ) TA got me a reservation for Japan!! After talking to her, I chose the May trip. Thanks again. Sometimes giving up control can be a good thing.

Thanks all for your encouragement and suggestions and help!!

Sayhello

I'm so glad you got your trip!

I have booked our first ABD, but since I am unwilling to play the dynamic pricing game, I generally wait until an itinerary is a few years out before trying it. I've wanted to do the Danube since it was announced and just booked this year as our first ABD. Honestly, the only reason I booked it is because I got one of the two connecting sets of 2/3 rooms and there was a $500 per person discount. Otherwise I was going to go with Tauck, where I think we would have had to have 3 in a suite and the other 2 on a different deck. I find it super weird that ABD can cyberstalk members of this board, but can't bother to get basic IT functions (like paying via website, much less an app) right, or addressing widespread basic concerns that are generally had like cancelled trips, or dynamic pricing.

I always weigh ABD vs. Tauck, and it usually comes down to whether I think the trip is worth $6k-7K more for my family (price difference and TB included guide tips) than with TB. TB actively changes their trips based on guest feedback (or it was pretty coincidental that they made that change the year after several on our Costa Rica trip gave specific feedback). ABD doesn't do much to try to compete, and the itinerary changes are always negative for the travelers.

Thanks, @calypso726!! I just got an email from ABD and your (our :) ) TA got me a reservation for Japan!! After talking to her, I chose the May trip. Thanks again. Sometimes giving up control can be a good thing.

Japan for my Birthday!!

Thanks all for your encouragement and suggestions and help!!

Sayhello
Great and congrats! We booked April-- yup, the guinea pig tour!---but are excited to be going!

I haven't gotten any emails from ABD in 2 or 3 years. And I didn't get the last set of movie tickets that were sent to Insiders. I've never used a different email address and I've never booked a trip for anyone else. Sounds like made up excuses to me. :(

Same. We used to get ABD emails and gifts, but haven’t in years now, despite two trips in the last three years, one of which was only six months ago. :(

@sayhello, I'm really happy you got your Japan reservation! I think the trip looks really interesting.

I'm another one who has not received any emails from ABD and am a DVC member, DCL platinum cruiser, and ABD Insider with one adventure under my belt. We did get the Coco movie tickets.
Thanks! It's a big relief, and now comes the anticipation!!

Great and congrats! We booked April-- yup, the guinea pig tour!---but are excited to be going!
I was going back and forth on this. Ultimately, my Birthday, 1st trip issues, and $1000 cheaper went in May's favor. Although now I hear the September date is actually Adults Only, and my new TA wants to know if I want to switch! :eek: I did *not* need more decisions!!

I'm so glad it worked out for you Sayhello!
Thanks!! :)

Also glad it worked out say hello. Still on hold and waiting ....
Thanks, and I hope you've gotten through and are booked!!

Sayhello

I was going back and forth on this. Ultimately, my Birthday, 1st trip issues, and $1000 cheaper went in May's favor.
Sayhello

We were going back on the April one, too, and the price is what sealed July for us ($4000 cheaper for us). If Cherry blossoms were more likely, it might have persuaded me. I asked the Vacationista I spoke with last week why it was $$higher and she didn't have an explanation. The thought it might be because of it being a higher/more expensive season.

We were going back on the April one, too, and the price is what sealed July for us ($4000 cheaper for us). If Cherry blossoms were more likely, it might have persuaded me. I asked the Vacationista I spoke with last week why it was $$higher and she didn't have an explanation. The thought it might be because of it being a higher/more expensive season.
I'm assuming that's why. Which also means it may be more crowded...

Sayhello

Oooh... good point! I hadn't thought about that.
Chance of Cherry Blossoms was one factor, plus late April good time for weather and crowds ( more crowded in early April). This being the first trip intrigued me, too-- there will be max interest in how it is going and no doubt other guides on tour to train. And I think the venues will be especially welcoming to a first time Disney tour group.

Chance of Cherry Blossoms was one factor, plus late April good time for weather and crowds ( more crowded in early April). This being the first trip intrigued me, too-- there will be max interest in how it is going and no doubt other guides on tour to train. And I think the venues will be especially welcoming to a first time Disney tour group.
I was weighing all of those! I went back and forth practically right up to the last minute. I thought there might also be a chance of Disney execs on the trip. We only had two Japan trips that we could do. April would have required DS21 missing two weeks of school (he's special needs so it wouldn't have been horrible), but the $4000 difference ultimately won out. That's almost the resort add-on for two people. I'm still debating though, LOL. Mid-July is supposed to be the end of the rainy season, but I think April will be gorgeous comparatively.

ABD is really working my last nerves. I think 2020 (when I plan to do the revised Scotland itinerary-- I loved Scotland so much!) will be my last trip with them, unless I really dislike the Tauck adventure I have with them (or if they come up with a wow itinerary for me -- which is, sorry, not Japan at all). Not only are Tauck's cancellation policies so much better (you won't ever lose your whole payment), but the lack of dynamic pricing, earlier release dates, online tools, more helpful air department are such a cut above ABD in terms of customer service.

I, much like Sayhello in her OP, am tired of having to fight for early booking discounts, and am tired of repeat ABDers not getting any special perks (like free pre- or -post days). But today really burned me. I went to book my ABDs. I am West Coast and could not get up at 5am. Just couldn't. So I called at 8. Was on hold 30 minutes, got disconnected. Called back, on hold 3 hours 15 mins. Reach Vacationista. Go to book Amalfi trip. I'm doing Rome Short escape June 11-14, so I wanted June 14-21 Amalfi trip. Price had already risen from 5300 (early booking discount--EBD) to 5900 (no EBD). 8300+ with single supplement. So I booked May 31-June 7... it's still at 4999 (EBD), so single supplement is only 7100+ (EBD). Much cheaper, right? Then I go to add on Italy/Switzerland..... I chose the only date that will work, June 21-28. Price had not risen, was about 7600+ with single supplement and EBD.

So far, so good. Expensive, yes, but the cheapest price I was gonna get, even if they weren't really the dates I wanted. Then, I talk to the vacationista about the Swiss/Italy trip. Turns out, this trip doesn't pick you up at the train station. Only the airport. All the other italy trips will pick you up at the train station, but this one won't. Seriously, Disney?? Even if I go to the tour hotel, no pick from the Milan train station. This is outrageous nickel and diming, imo. I see no reason why this can't happen. So now I have to figure out how to get to Stressa....#thanksalotABD

First world problems for sure, but dang it seems like that the mouse house is just cheapening out.

I'm also extremely peeved they changed the Knights/Lights package to include a private crown jewels viewing... apparently starting next year, which is of course after I'm taking it. Why the hell wasn't this included from the get go to save us 45mins- to an hour in line? I asked if there was a chance it might get in this year's dates...no dice apparently.

I'm really starting to think ABD really only cares about soaking us guests....

PS: They need more people on the phones opening day.... no excuse for making customers wait 3-5 hours for the privillege of shelling out thousands of dollars.

I was weighing all of those! I went back and forth practically right up to the last minute. I thought there might also be a chance of Disney execs on the trip. We only had two Japan trips that we could do. April would have required DS21 missing two weeks of school (he's special needs so it wouldn't have been horrible), but the $4000 difference ultimately won out. That's almost the resort add-on for two people. I'm still debating though, LOL. Mid-July is supposed to be the end of the rainy season, but I think April will be gorgeous comparatively.
I was debating the same stuff. April might mean Disney execs on board. But more chances for glitches. More crowds in Japan due to the Sakura. But May will also be beautiful, and it's my Birthday! But it's not Adults Only. Ultimately, when my TA reminded me "Plus, April is $1000 more", that pushed me over the edge. I'm hoping May will be great even if it isn't Adults Only. :)

Sayhello

I was debating the same stuff. April might mean Disney execs on board. But more chances for glitches. More crowds in Japan due to the Sakura. But May will also be beautiful, and it's my Birthday! But it's not Adults Only. Ultimately, when my TA reminded me "Plus, April is $1000 more", that pushed me over the edge. I'm hoping May will be great even if it isn't Adults Only. :)

Sayhello

Sayhello- I've done 5 ABDs, none adults only. I've got 5 more booked for 2018/19...none adults only. I have had a fine time on the mixed trips. I'm sure you will too.

Sayhello

You'll have irises, roses, maybe even some wisteria or hydrangea depending.... there will be no lack of beautiful things in May too plus it will be a little warmer. We had it snow on us a tiny bit in Kyoto in late March one year if you can believe it. I got a little chilly during April last year and wished I had a warmer jacket! :)

You'll have irises, roses, maybe even some wisteria or hydrangea depending.... there will be no lack of beautiful things in May too plus it will be a little warmer. We had it snow on us a tiny bit in Kyoto in late March one year if you can believe it. I got a little chilly during April last year and wished I had a warmer jacket! :)
Well that sounds lovely! :)

Sayhello

Sayhello

I suspect you will have very few kids in May. Our schools got out very early last summer but that was still early June. I'm sure it will be a gorgeous time to celebrate your birthday :)

Then, I talk to the vacationista about the Swiss/Italy trip. Turns out, this trip doesn't pick you up at the train station. Only the airport. All the other italy trips will pick you up at the train station, but this one won't. Seriously, Disney?? Even if I go to the tour hotel, no pick from the Milan train station. This is outrageous nickel and diming, imo. I see no reason why this can't happen. So now I have to figure out how to get to Stressa....#thanksalotABD

First world problems for sure, but dang it seems like that the mouse house is just cheapening out.

@Rapunzellover it is super easy to get from the train station in Stressa to the hotel in Milan. The taxi ride would be maybe 10 Euros (max.). My son and I took the first class train from Milan to Stressa -- it was cheap, fast and also very easy.

We stayed for 3 nights in Milan before the tour to see the sites. It is a nice city with SUPERB shopping. Seriously good shopping! We then took a cab from our hotel to the train station in Milan. Milan isn't a huge city, so it's very easy. If you are spending any pre-days in Milan then you *must* see the Last Supper. A highlight of our trip for sure. Our time in the room with the painting (is that what you call a painted wall?) went by so quickly. I wish I had of booked back-to-back time slots.

ITA that ABD doesn't seem to appreciate repeat guests. I never seem to get the "gifts" they send to insiders. Each time they "forget" to send my gift I am promised that the issue has been corrected and won't happen again. Yet it does. Last time with the movie tickets I didn't call because I knew I wouldn't use them. But I still feel that we shouldn't have to call every. single. time to remind them.

I looked at Nat Geo family and Thomson family Japan but the itineraries didn't appeal to me. A&K Family is very nice, but doesn't cover the ground that ABD does, is shorter and the same cost. I will say that ABD is no longer my primary "go to" for trips. I do my research and make an educated decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter