Not in a Happy mood today about ABD, when I should be.

I'm an ABD Insider, D23 Gold, and DCL Platinum. I did not receive ANY communication about the advance booking from any of the channels.
I know I'm not an optout on communications because I receive PLENTY of email from Disney Interactive, ABC, and other areas of the company of which I've had no prior dealings. Sigh.

So is it 8am EDT tomorrow for the phones? I'm going to try to get on the waitlist for that October Japan tour. The April date just doesn't work with my work priorities. :(
I've gotten other emails from ABD, and as you say, from Disney interactive, ABC, etc. Not sure what the deal is. And yes. It's 8am EDT tomorrow. They did tell me that even *they* don't know if the waitlist for October is an exclusive trip, or a fishing expedition for an additional date. They were hoping to know before tomorrow morning, but it doesn't look likely. I may add myself to that waitlist, also, because I talked myself out of the April trip (just not loving the first trip thing and the stuff that goes with that). I can always switch from May if the October trip materializes.

Sounds like you need a better travel agent.
Yes, I kind of gathered that myself. She did really great work for me with Iceland, but the not being able to contact her is not a good thing. I've had a great new TA recommended to me.

I don't know if this was directed at me, but I don't use a travel agent. I book myself directly.
I'm pretty sure it was directed at me. :)

Sayhello

ABD just announce the trip I've been waiting *years* for - Japan. It looks fabulous. I should be dancing a jig of joy. Should be.

I just spent a wonderful half an hour with a Vacationista, discussing tomorrow's ordeal, venting, and just realizing HOW MUCH I don't want to be on the phone with ABD tomorrow morning at 8am. I've *NEVER* felt this level of anxiety about booking an ABD. They have engineered everything to make booking the Japan ABD as unpleasant and stressful as possible. From announcing the dates on a Friday, giving their Vacationistas *no* additional data beyond what's on the website, to allowing D23, DVC and who the **** knows who else to book tomorrow, taking away the *ONE* benefit we have as repeat ABDers.

I was out of the country on a cruise until late yesterday. I have no way to get ahold of my TA before 8am tomorrow morning if I wanted her to book this for me. So if I want to get the date I want, possibly if I want to book this trip at all, I'm going to have to get up early tomorrow, my first day back from an 8-day vacation, try to get ahold of my boss and beg him to let me come into work late tomorrow so that I can sit on hold for god knows how long, to book along side of people who have never taken an ABD, but have spent a lot of money on other Disney products.

They could let D23 and DVC book on Tuesday, and it would still be ahead of the general public. But no. They took away the only benefit they've given us as return guests. We are truly the red-headed step children of Disney.

I *LOVE* the product. The itineraries and the Adventure Guides are second to none for me. But the people who actually run ABD now are totally turning me off. I have to say, if I do not get the Japan trip I want tomorrow, I am not booking a different ABD in it's place for 2019. And that may be *it* for me with ABD. I am SO FED UP with this. Seriously! This would be my TENTH ABD since 2008, and it means NOTHING to them! SO FREAKING TIRED.

Sayhello

I'm sorry and I understand - that's what I was referring to in my post about booking Iceland - was so happy they came out with that trip, and then booking it (and follow up communications) have been nothing but a pain. It does not help Disney that we have booked a Backroads trip this year, and it has been so incredibly easy and user-friendly. The comparison is night and day (to be fair, we haven't actually been on the Backroads trip yet, so I am only comparing the booking process and post-booking communications).

You are such a great cheerleader for ABD that if they're making you unhappy they really need to evaluate their process! And on the upside, the Japan trip is so expensive it's hard to imagine it will sell out first day. Good luck.

You have every right to vent! The lack of communication and difficulty in booking as an ABD insider are beyond frustrating. I believe DCL members are getting priority as well. They really need to start giving perks to their loyal customers (even if it is only booking a day ahead of everyone else). We did NOT get an email from ABD about booking before the general public on Monday. We got an email from DVC (we are members). What the heck, ABD? Why can't they keep an insiders email list? It's not that hard.

We were so disappointed in the communication from ABD before our first ABD trip to China last year that I probably would have cancelled if not for these amazing boards and people like you who write trip reports. The trip to China was beyond amazing but dealing with ABD before the trip was frustrating. I hope they read these boards because something needs to change. We have booked our 2019 trip with Tauck and their website, app, and communication have been impressive. I know they are a very large travel company but still. ABD needs to get their act together.

I really hope that ABD is monitoring these boards too because these posts are really indicative of some issues of things that need to be addressed. When your loyal customers and CHEERLEADERS are feeling this way, it’s time to take a hard look at customer service.

You have every right to vent SayHello and I think you are feeling many of the same frustrations many of us have felt. I was one of the biggest cheerleaders around here until a very negative group size experience that resulted in big time disappointment and caused me to look in other directions.

I will travel with ABD but they are no longer my default. I also no longer recommend them without a series of caveats (group size, ridiculous and nontransparent guaranteed trip policy, cost, etc).

Part of the disappointment with me is that they really have a wonderful product and there are some very simple things they could do to make a huge difference in the overall trip experience. Given the high cost of these itineraries, the fact that other not as high priced operators do a much better job with communication and the pre-trip experience is an issue they need to address. I just signed up for an REI trip and it’s night and day. The other options thread is indicative of what happens when you let small things slip.

I am planning to book tomorrow as well, but I, too, am upset with the taking away of the one perk we supposed Insiders had, and the way they try to create a frenzy with releases both with timing and dynamic pricing. It turned me off to DCL and it makes me much more cautious of ABD.

I was frustrated with the lack of info on this trip as well, including the max #s on the trip. The fact that they won’t tell us the resort package price ahead of tome is also annoying. How hard is it? I figure I have 14 days to cancel if we end up with a number I don’t want to hear re participants. It’s hard to gage how well these will sell given the price. I expect there are people like us who have been waiting years for this trip, but how many others?

I never got an email or any communication from ABD, either. The info was from here, a fb group, and the Disney Parks blog. Serious ***.

Sayhello

We’ve been on six ABDs, I’m platinum DCL, and a three time DVC owner and I didn’t receive an email either.

While it's a first world problem, you do pay a premium price for ABD and I'd expect a premium experience. Not "beat the crowds at the local big box store to get that one TV on Black Friday." For someone who's been on 10 ABD's, that's a significant amount of time and money you've given them. You'd think that would get you something.

I hope the new TA works out for you!

While it's a first world problem, you do pay a premium price for ABD and I'd expect a premium experience. Not "beat the crowds at the local big box store to get that one TV on Black Friday." For someone who's been on 10 ABD's, that's a significant amount of time and money you've given them. You'd think that would get you something.

It's funny that you mentioned Black Friday, because as I was reading through this, and knowing what it like for people to book opening day Disney (ABD, DCL, WDW free dining, etc) I kept thinking 'How in the heck did I get roped into this craziness because it is like Black Friday, which I avoid at all costs'. LOL!

I'm doing DCL in 2019 since I can't do either Japan or Australia until 2020, so I won't be dealing with the headache tomorrow, but I feel for those of you who are.

As far as the price, if the ABD to South Africa that cost $11,500 per person sold out in 30 minutes, a $10,000 trip to Japan isn't going to be much different. So many people have been waiting for Japan for so long to be offered by ABD, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the trips sold out this week. Although, I will say, that while I love this Japan itinerary and will likely do it, I do also have my eye on the Nat Geo Japan trip as an alternative.

I guess I just have to hope next year, for the 2020 trips, there will be a little less anxiety since Japan won't be BRAND new. I'm sure it will be the same though.

@sayhello ITA with everything you said. ABD has got to to improve the way they interact with their previous guests.

I am no longer their biggest cheerleader. I look at other trips on the market and make an educated decision. In the case with Japan, for us they do have the best itinerary, IMHO, and I know I like the product.

I heard on the phone (while I was on hold for a vacationista) that their group size is "up to 45 guests". Wowza. I hope this isn't the case with our date.

For those that wonder if ABD monitors these boards, I can guarantee you that they do. In my case they know my name and contact info IRL -- which I don't like at all. The reason I know this is that last year I had posted a question about the ABD Rhine River cruise on this board and within 6 hours I got a PHONE CALL from ABD letting me know the answer. When I asked them how they even knew I was looking for an answer they hedged and refused to answer. Since this was the only place I posted the question, I already knew the answer, but wanted to see if they'd admit it. So yeah, they follow along quite closely me thinks.

45 guests!!! Geesh, that's a lot of people! For some reason I thought it was mid 30's, but I guess I was wrong (or they changed it).

I like the Black Friday comparison.

But the people who actually run ABD now are totally turning me off. I have to say, if I do not get the Japan trip I want tomorrow, I am not booking a different ABD in it's place for 2019. And that may be *it* for me with ABD. I am SO FED UP with this. Seriously! This would be my TENTH ABD since 2008, and it means NOTHING to them! SO FREAKING TIRED.

Then spend your money elsewhere. If you're tired of the way they run their business, then DON'T SUPPORT IT! You're gonna pay them a large sum of money tomorrow apparently for this new offering, despite the fact that you loathe the way they do everything, that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I’ve been waiting for DS to be old enough and now that he is, I can’t seem to commit to ABD. Dynamic pricing, group size, the release date hysteria, etc., just isn’t working for me. I was thinking of booking one of the already available, but newly released, Costa Rica dates, but my timing couldn’t be worse. I’m researching other companies and I’m guessing the ABD price will increase this week. Meanwhile, the Thomson itinerary is nearly the same and they’re running a 10% off promo for their 20th anniversary. They’ve been amazingly responsive and, while the promo will end, the base price won’t increase. The $500pp discount on future trips is a nice perk, too.

While there are likely plenty of first-timers eager to take the plunge, if one of ABD’s biggest cheerleaders is frustrated, it’s certainly time for ABD to pay attention.

I really hope that ABD is monitoring these boards too because these posts are really indicative of some issues of things that need to be addressed. When your loyal customers and CHEERLEADERS are feeling this way, it’s time to take a hard look at customer service.

You have every right to vent SayHello and I think you are feeling many of the same frustrations many of us have felt. I was one of the biggest cheerleaders around here until a very negative group size experience that resulted in big time disappointment and caused me to look in other directions.

I will travel with ABD but they are no longer my default. I also no longer recommend them without a series of caveats (group size, ridiculous and nontransparent guaranteed trip policy, cost, etc).

Part of the disappointment with me is that they really have a wonderful product and there are some very simple things they could do to make a huge difference in the overall trip experience. Given the high cost of these itineraries, the fact that other not as high priced operators do a much better job with communication and the pre-trip experience is an issue they need to address. I just signed up for an REI trip and it’s night and day. The other options thread is indicative of what happens when you let small things slip.

I am planning to book tomorrow as well, but I, too, am upset with the taking away of the one perk we supposed Insiders had, and the way they try to create a frenzy with releases both with timing and dynamic pricing. It turned me off to DCL and it makes me much more cautious of ABD.

I was frustrated with the lack of info on this trip as well, including the max #s on the trip. The fact that they won’t tell us the resort package price ahead of tome is also annoying. How hard is it? I figure I have 14 days to cancel if we end up with a number I don’t want to hear re participants. It’s hard to gage how well these will sell given the price. I expect there are people like us who have been waiting years for this trip, but how many others?

We’ve been on six ABDs, I’m platinum DCL, and a three time DVC owner and I didn’t receive an email either.
It's also my frustration that the product is so amazing, but the people who are making policy just seem to be deaf to their customer base. It seems like they have the attitude that there will always be more customers they can get, so why bother to please repeat customers? If the product wasn't so spectacular, I'd be long gone. And that makes me so sad! There was a time when I felt really heard!

Yes. And the Black Friday analogy really is on the mark. That's just how it feels. And I NEVER go to Black Friday sales! And it's not like these are trips done on the cheap. It's a significant investment. I *KNOW* that I've spent more on ABD than a lot of D23 members, or DVC owners or Platinum DCL folks. But that doesn't seem to matter to the folks at the top of ABD. And thanks about the TA. I liked what I heard. Here's hoping it all works out tomorrow!

It's funny that you mentioned Black Friday, because as I was reading through this, and knowing what it like for people to book opening day Disney (ABD, DCL, WDW free dining, etc) I kept thinking 'How in the heck did I get roped into this craziness because it is like Black Friday, which I avoid at all costs'. LOL!

I'm doing DCL in 2019 since I can't do either Japan or Australia until 2020, so I won't be dealing with the headache tomorrow, but I feel for those of you who are.

As far as the price, if the ABD to South Africa that cost $11,500 per person sold out in 30 minutes, a $10,000 trip to Japan isn't going to be much different. So many people have been waiting for Japan for so long to be offered by ABD, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the trips sold out this week. Although, I will say, that while I love this Japan itinerary and will likely do it, I do also have my eye on the Nat Geo Japan trip as an alternative.

I guess I just have to hope next year, for the 2020 trips, there will be a little less anxiety since Japan won't be BRAND new. I'm sure it will be the same though.
I avoid Black Friday like the Black Plague!! And I think the fact that *so* many people have been waiting for Japan *will* be a big factor in how many people sign up. I guess we'll see by Thursday whether they all do or not...

@sayhello ITA with everything you said. ABD has got to to improve the way they interact with their previous guests.

I am no longer their biggest cheerleader. I look at other trips on the market and make an educated decision. In the case with Japan, for us they do have the best itinerary, IMHO, and I know I like the product.

I heard on the phone (while I was on hold for a vacationista) that their group size is "up to 45 guests". Wowza. I hope this isn't the case with our date.

For those that wonder if ABD monitors these boards, I can guarantee you that they do. In my case they know my name and contact info IRL -- which I don't like at all. The reason I know this is that last year I had posted a question about the ABD Rhine River cruise on this board and within 6 hours I got a PHONE CALL from ABD letting me know the answer. When I asked them how they even knew I was looking for an answer they hedged and refused to answer. Since this was the only place I posted the question, I already knew the answer, but wanted to see if they'd admit it. So yeah, they follow along quite closely me thinks.
I also know they monitor these boards. At least I know they used to. Sigh. I *really* like the itinerary. I just wish ABD would get their policy **** together!

45 guests!!! Geesh, that's a lot of people! For some reason I thought it was mid 30's, but I guess I was wrong (or they changed it).
I was told by the Vacationista that Japan will be maxed at 40.

I like the Black Friday comparison.
Me, too.

Then spend your money elsewhere. If you're tired of the way they run their business, then DON'T SUPPORT IT! You're gonna pay them a large sum of money tomorrow apparently for this new offering, despite the fact that you loathe the way they do everything, that makes no sense to me whatsoever.
The sad part is, I *LOVE* the product. Once I'm actually on one of the trips, they're fantastic and amazing and exactly what I want to be doing. It's hard to give that up because the folks at the top don't listen. I don't loathe the way they do *everything*! I just loathe how they higher-ups treat us. But there definitely could come a time (and it might be very close) where my love of the product just isn't enough to overcome the folks at the top's behavior.

I’ve been waiting for DS to be old enough and now that he is, I can’t seem to commit to ABD. Dynamic pricing, group size, the release date hysteria, etc., just isn’t working for me. I was thinking of booking one of the already available, but newly released, Costa Rica dates, but my timing couldn’t be worse. I’m researching other companies and I’m guessing the ABD price will increase this week. Meanwhile, the Thomson itinerary is nearly the same and they’re running a 10% off promo for their 20th anniversary. They’ve been amazingly responsive and, while the promo will end, the base price won’t increase. The $500pp discount on future trips is a nice perk, too.

While there are likely plenty of first-timers eager to take the plunge, if one of ABD’s biggest cheerleaders is frustrated, it’s certainly time for ABD to pay attention.
I hear good things about Thomson. Unfortunately, they're not really into childless solos taking their trips.

Sayhello

@sayhello — I hope you get the Japan tour you want. Selfishly, I’m looking forward to your trip report!

I also hope Disney takes your comments to heart and gives Insiders exclusive early access next year and beyond. Movie tickets are nice, but that would be an even more awesome perk, especially when a greatly anticipated adventure is introduced.

This month we are doing our 10th ABD. While I still carry pom poms for ABD :cheer2: I do believe there are areas that can be improved. Top of that list for me would be guaranteeing trips. My biggest fear would be getting a trip cancelled since I likely would not be able to switch to something else on the fly. I did not receive any emails about the new itineraries or booking dates from ABD either. We are obviously ABD insiders, D23 members, DCL Platinum and hold 10 DVC contracts. I found out from my TA so I wasn't upset about it. But that is another area that could be improved.

From what I understand the bulk of their customers are repeat guests. I am actually glad they monitor these boards and hopefully share with the decision makers what concerns the loyal ABD guests. It doesn't bother me if they know who I am IRL. I'd actually be glad if I posed a question or concern here and they reached out to me IRL to answer. To be honest, I'd be more freaked out if they could not piece together who I was IRL and didn't have my contact info. That would border on incompetence :rotfl2: When I book a trip, they have my contact info which I have to provide. When I write a trip report (which I choose to do) it is usually live from the trip I am currently on, complete with pictures of myself. Sending a screenshot of what I post here to a guide and asking "which guest is this one" would not fall in the realm of Sherlock Holmes sleuthing.

But you are right, they must follow these boards. I'm not sure how closely, but it is the only major public forum where guests and potential guests discuss their product, good or bad. It would only make good business sense to keep an eye on such a wealth of unfiltered feedback. Hopefully, it also leads to positive changes.

Best of luck with the booking tomorrow :flower3:

@sayhello — I hope you get the Japan tour you want. Selfishly, I’m looking forward to your trip report!

I also hope Disney takes your comments to heart and gives Insiders exclusive early access next year and beyond. Movie tickets are nice, but that would be an even more awesome perk, especially when a greatly anticipated adventure is introduced.
Thanks, @Miss SD! I hope you're right! I will happily write another trip report!! We shall see if anything changes. I stopped going to WDW because the fastpass and dining reservation situations got so out of hand. I keep praying it doesn't happen at Disneyland... And I don't want to stop doing ABDs if I don't have to...

This month we are doing our 10th ABD. While I still carry pom poms for ABD :cheer2: I do believe there are areas that can be improved. Top of that list for me would be guaranteeing trips. My biggest fear would be getting a trip cancelled since I likely would not be able to switch to something else on the fly. I did not receive any emails about the new itineraries or booking dates from ABD either. We are obviously ABD insiders, D23 members, DCL Platinum and hold 10 DVC contracts. I found out from my TA so I wasn't upset about it. But that is another area that could be improved.

From what I understand the bulk of their customers are repeat guests. I am actually glad they monitor these boards and hopefully share with the decision makers what concerns the loyal ABD guests. It doesn't bother me if they know who I am IRL. I'd actually be glad if I posed a question or concern here and they reached out to me IRL to answer. To be honest, I'd be more freaked out if they could not piece together who I was IRL and didn't have my contact info. That would border on incompetence :rotfl2: When I book a trip, they have my contact info which I have to provide. When I write a trip report (which I choose to do) it is usually live from the trip I am currently on, complete with pictures of myself. Sending a screenshot of what I post here to a guide and asking "which guest is this one" would not fall in the realm of Sherlock Holmes sleuthing.

But you are right, they must follow these boards. I'm not sure how closely, but it is the only major public forum where guests and potential guests discuss their product, good or bad. It would only make good business sense to keep an eye on such a wealth of unfiltered feedback. Hopefully, it also leads to positive changes.

Best of luck with the booking tomorrow :flower3:
I know they know who I am, so I've always been fine with that. But I can understand that if someone prefers to remain anonymous here, that's their right. I'm pretty sure the motive wasn't anything creepy...

Let's hope they're still listening. I'd love for all of this to be in the past...

Sayhello

Let's hope they're still listening. I'd love for all of this to be in the past...

Sayhello

My fingers are crossed for you to be able to book the trip you want.

I understand your frustration with ABD. I recently had an extended email conversation with them regarding the fact that my ABD emails/physical mails were now being addressed to a family member for whom I booked a trip to WDW. The ABD rep first told me that I'd 'opted out' of emails using the address from which I was contacting her. I pointed out that I still receive ALL Disney emails (including ABD) at that same email address. It's the customer name being used on all communications that's the issue. The name isn't mine (it's the relative's name), and I - the veteran of several ABD adventures - wanted to have the perks of being a repeat ABD customer.

Finally, after I had explained this about three times (using the same language each time), the person got back to me and said that because I had used that email to book a trip for somebody else, they had changed all of their databases (including the ABD one) to reflect that name, not mine. I still have no idea if I will be seen as a repeat ABD customer (that repeated part of my question was ignored) but the ABD rep did give me one valuable piece of advice. The next time I want to book a Disney trip for someone else, use a different email address.

I thought the ending there was a little cold, and it didn't answer my question about my status as a returning ABD customer. I realize tone can't always be conveyed through text, so while I am trying to give the ABD rep the benefit of the doubt, I didn't bother to email back again.

Anyway, back to you - let us know how it goes tomorrow!!!

I understand your frustration with ABD. I recently had an extended email conversation with them regarding the fact that my ABD emails/physical mails were now being addressed to a family member for whom I booked a trip to WDW. The ABD rep first told me that I'd 'opted out' of emails using the address from which I was contacting her. I pointed out that I still receive ALL Disney emails (including ABD) at that same email address. It's the customer name being used on all communications that's the issue. The name isn't mine (it's the relative's name), and I - the veteran of several ABD adventures - wanted to have the perks of being a repeat ABD customer.

Finally, after I had explained this about three times (using the same language each time), the person got back to me and said that because I had used that email to book a trip for somebody else, they had changed all of their databases (including the ABD one) to reflect that name, not mine. I still have no idea if I will be seen as a repeat ABD customer (that repeated part of my question was ignored) but the ABD rep did give me one valuable piece of advice. The next time I want to book a Disney trip for someone else, use a different email address.

I thought the ending there was a little cold, and it didn't answer my question about my status as a returning ABD customer. I realize tone can't always be conveyed through text, so while I am trying to give the ABD rep the benefit of the doubt, I didn't bother to email back again.

That's ridiculous! I mean, just because of one booking (for someone else) they assume they're to change EVERYTHING that that email address is associated with?? I know Disney's IT is pretty bad, but that's insane! As an IT professional, I'm kind of offended by that kind of sloppiness!

And the lack of a real resolution from the ABD rep is disturbing, too.

And thanks! I will definitely update you all tomorrow! Fingers and toes crossed!

Sayhello

I haven't gotten any emails from ABD in 2 or 3 years. And I didn't get the last set of movie tickets that were sent to Insiders. I've never used a different email address and I've never booked a trip for anyone else. Sounds like made up excuses to me. :(

Thanks, @calypso726!! I just got an email from ABD and your (our :) ) TA got me a reservation for Japan!! After talking to her, I chose the May trip. Thanks again. Sometimes giving up control can be a good thing.

Japan for my Birthday!!

Thanks all for your encouragement and suggestions and help!!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Not sure how many of you are on twitter but if you follow The DIS - @TheDIS - and/or Dreams Unlimited Travel - @dreamsutravel - (the sponsor of this board) we have been tweeting out updates on this release since it was announced. It's a great way to get the info.

You can also subscribe to the DIS news feeds to get announcements updates on discounts - you can do that from the homepage - http://www.wdwinfo.com/

Also if you're interested in seeing no-obligation pricing for an ABD trip you can use the online calculator on the Dreams Unlimited Travel website - https://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/abd_input.cfm

In the interest of full disclosure, for those that don't know - I am one of the owners of Dreams Unlimited Travel

@sayhello, I'm really happy you got your Japan reservation! I think the trip looks really interesting.

I'm another one who has not received any emails from ABD and am a DVC member, DCL platinum cruiser, and ABD Insider with one adventure under my belt. We did get the Coco movie tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter