No wonder no one wants dogs!

I came across this post do the fact we are researching our stay at Fort Wilderness in August. I want to start buy saying that I love dogs. people need to know and understand their dogs. Just because a place allows dogs does not mean every dog is fitted for that place. I have a Lab. I would love to bring her with us while we stay at the cabins. But because I Know the way she acts and behave in certain situations it would not be pleasant for her and the other guest that will be their. For starters she has car anxiety so putting her in the car for long trips is a no no. Second She is a alpha and try to dominate when she see others dogs. She also barks like crazy when someone approach certain family members or come in her space. And most important she don;t like to be left alone if it's out of our work/school schedule. If we are visiting parks I know she will go crazy on the campground while we are out especially with the voices that will be passing by throughout the day while we are out. Again, I would love nothing more than to have her with us on vacation but I have to think about her as well as other people around us.

Our crazy Boxer gets all excited if she sees me backing the truck up to the trailer, she loves to travel and has been with us for 10's of thousands of miles.
The only thing we avoid is the dog park because she is so goofy and intense that it sometimes makes the other owners nervous, its best just to go on long walks. She does love walking the 1700 loop in the late evenings.

I had a similar experience. My other non favorite thing is people who leave their animal off leash and then say as the animal is charging, "he is friendly". I am going in July and requested a dog free loop and such was noted on my reservation.

I agree completely. The charging dog though "friendly" could be attacked by the dogs they are going to meet.....I will say, if we are attacked while out and about, I will defend my dogs fiercely. What is sad, is owners like you’ve mentioned make it hard for everyone, but the real loss is their own dogs. We hiked providence canyon in Georgia less than a month ago. There was a black dog off leash.....running the path. I so wanted to say out loud that it sucks his owners didn’t care about his safety or well being. The ranger told us a sad story of a dog getting lost, and never recovered. How traumatic for everyone, most especially the dog!

I am always paranoid of my dog bothering others. LOL He can be yappy but if I am with him I make sure he shuts up. I remember when we were camping back in September and were evacuated to the Coronado due to the Hurricane, I didn't even want to leave the room to go to the parks because I was afraid my dog would be barking all day. I went to our neighbors and told them if my dog's barking ever disturbs them to please let me know. They were so sweet about it.

I am always paranoid of my dog bothering others. LOL He can be yappy but if I am with him I make sure he shuts up. I remember when we were camping back in September and were evacuated to the Coronado due to the Hurricane, I didn't even want to leave the room to go to the parks because I was afraid my dog would be barking all day. I went to our neighbors and told them if my dog's barking ever disturbs them to please let me know. They were so sweet about it.

Of coarse people are going to be tolerant in an emergency situation like a Hurricane.
However, if you know your dog is a "barker", it's probably best not to bring it to WDW. There is a protocol in place for barking dogs who disturb other Guests. You will be asked to board your dog or leave. Why risk ruining your vacation (or anyone else's) ?

Of coarse people are going to be tolerant in an emergency situation like a Hurricane.
However, if you know your dog is a "barker", it's probably best not to bring it to WDW. There is a protocol in place for barking dogs who disturb other Guests. You will be asked to board your dog or leave. Why risk ruining your vacation (or anyone else's) ?

In the campground he isn't a barker. He is totally happy in the camper. No doors slamming or strange noises for him. I didn't expect a hurricane to hit us while in Disney.

There may indeed be a protocol in place, but from personal experience, we have not seen it followed when a dog disturbs others. In fact, a dog that attacked and injured another dog was allowed to stay on site.

There may indeed be a protocol in place, but from personal experience, we have not seen it followed when a dog disturbs others. In fact, a dog that attacked and injured another dog was allowed to stay on site.

Sometimes it just depends on who calls in the complaint...Some people are willing to put up with that sort of situation impacting their vacation; others are simply Not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter