"No, We're Not Getting Married at Disney!" a 2018 tripS report - update 10/25 AKL food + DHS Day

Yummm. Your GFC brunch is making me hungry! Looks like a good meal, at least after the eggs were replaced, and despite your inattentive server. We have this booked again for August so I can get more gluten free pancakes! I'll have to recommend the french toast to Nathan.

I mean, I think we all know that at Disney, husband = photographer. Come on guys! :laughing:

Duh! Poor Nathan, I give him a hard time about this, too.

Mr. Kamal's Seasoned Fries - topped with tzatzki salad and sriacha ketchup $5.49. These are fantastic - the toppings worried me a bit as they didn't sound like they went together, but they somehow work making this a great savory treat. R picked this out but I got to help enjoy them! Yummy!

I've heard a lot of good things about these, despite how they kinda sound like they just shouldn't really work...

We would be park hopping to our third park of the day, up next!

Wow! Busy day!

Popping in a little late to say hi and I'm so glad you started this! You mentioned August as well....when exactly?? I am going down August 21-28 and am so, so excited! Love the start of your report, the Festival of the Arts looks like so much fun! Also have to ask you, where did you get your pink coat? It is so cute!

Off-topic: Pre-Trip Report for August 2018!

Work is particularly bad today :headache: so I figured I would take a little brain break and update my report with some plans for my upcoming August trip. That's right! I am leaving in less than ONE MONTH! Thank goodness. Between the countdown getting closer and my Disney BGM loops for ambient noise, I can make it!

Who, what, when, where, why:

Mom and I are going to Walt Disney World August 16-19, and R will join us after work on August 17th. We are all staying at Coronado Springs! I will bunk in with my mom on the first evening and then move to my room with R on the 17th. Mom and I are driving, R is flying in and his DME is already set up! We'll all drive back to Atlanta together.

I last stayed at Coronado Springs in August 2016 as part of a previous celebration, so I guess it's a good resort for my birthday trip again!

Q2D0sOY.png

Which brings us to ... Why? My birthday!

And because my mom was dying to get back to WDW after not visiting the parks in over a year. We got a great rate taking advantage of the already discounted CSR rates and stacking that with an Orbitz promo code. It would have been practically criminal to pass it up! :teacher:

fzwFF3R.png

I'm so excited to celebrate another birthday at Walt Disney World. I don't think anything is as special as so many people wishing you well! This will be slightly after my "real birthday" which is August 13, but I am not above celebrating a few days late!

What else?

Well, for starters, I asked my mom and R what their "must-do" items were. For my mom, it was Morimoto Asia and Rock N Roller Coaster! R said he didn't care. :confused3 I like to try something new on each trip, so we are most definitely doing the new Chez Fart Smith Homecoming brunch! (If you didn't know... that's what my extremely mature family calls Chef Art Smith's. and I refuse to drop the g. I am 1000% southern and I don't talk like that. woof.)

Also another "possible" new thing we are doing is the character breakfast at Ravello at the Four Seasons! It's "Goofy and Pals", which actually means, Goofy, Mickey, and Minnie :love:

Plus the breakfast itself has great reviews and I really want to see the Four Seasons, but I don't have $500+ per night to stay there myself, so... I made the reservation through OpenTable, so if we don't make it, no penalty!

LLgzRkS.png

Right now our plans are:

Thursday, August 16:

Melinda and Mom leave Atlanta at 1:00 AM to drive down, do Epcot rope drop on arrival, possibly visiting Tutto Italia for lunch. Or, if we're not too tired, maybe go to Enzo's Hideaway for lunch before checking in and taking a nap (I hope!) at CSR. We have afternoon/evening Fastpasses at Animal Kingdom, where I want to try that malva cake sundae at Tamu Tamu! We'll do our fastpass attractions and see how we feel for dinner, whether we want to snack at Animal Kingdom or head elsewhere. Mom hasn't ridden Flight of Passage yet so I am SO PUMPED to do that with her!

6djqvUU.png

nAp5KZT.png

Fastpass:
5:15-6:15 Kilimanjaro Safari
6:20-7:20 Expedition Everest
7:20-8:20 Flight of Passage

ADRs:
None!

iAQCVrD.png

Friday, August 17:

Either sleep in (depending on how we're feeling) or head to Magic Kingdom. Take my mom on the mainstreet vehicles, ride low-wait attractions, meet characters and watch shows (Liver Lips McGrowl, I'm looking at you). Take a nap and/or swim in the afternoon. Grab dinner around 5:00 at Morimoto Asia, eating in the lounge if we can't get a table. Afterward, we'll go to DHS for our fastpass attractions, where R will join us after he lands and gets DME to the resort. EMH at DHS will keep the park open til 12:30 PM, so hopefully we can ride the new Toy Story attractions then!

Fastpass:
7:15-8:15 Rock N Roller Coaster
8:20-8:35 Fantasmic (show at 9:00)
9:30-10:30 Toy Story Midway Mania

ADRs:
5:30 Morimoto Asia (opentable)

WZDnFhz.png

Saturday, August 18:

We're doing Ravello for breakfast, then swimming and getting cleaned up before dinner/appetizers at California Grill. Then we'll head into the Magic Kingdom for the evening, where we'll use fastpass and enjoy the late closing at midnight. Try the Peter Pan float!

88WRVAI.png

Fastpass:
7:25-8:25 Peter Pan
8:30-9:30 Space Mountain
9:30-10:30 Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

ADRs:
10:30 Ravello Character Breakfast with Goofy and pals (OpenTable)
5:05 California Grill

CdOwBXT.png

Sunday, August 19:

We'll hit Animal Kingdom, primarily to do FOP, then head to DS for our Homecoming brunch before leaving for home...

TIPFWaP.png

Fastpass:
9:20-10:20 Flight of Passage
10:20-11:20 Meet Mickey and Minnie at the Outpost
11:25-12:25 Expedition Everest

ADRs:
12:00 Homecoming

BEqpZks.png

CFNDGvA.png

My countdown says 28 days and 14 hours!!!

Yummm. Your GFC brunch is making me hungry! Looks like a good meal, at least after the eggs were replaced, and despite your inattentive server. We have this booked again for August so I can get more gluten free pancakes! I'll have to recommend the french toast to Nathan.
I cannot stop thinking about your idea of a restaurant that just serves a mashup of all the best breakfasts. I even looked up details on a private illuminations dessert party to see if we could make it work for the EPIC girls trip... alas, the minimum on a weekend is $3500 :eek: that's a lot of dang mickey waffles!!

I've heard a lot of good things about these, despite how they kinda sound like they just shouldn't really work...
Yeah I kind of resisted at first and told R he could eat them and I'd just get a beer but then they turned out to be delicious :confused3 go figure!

Wow! Busy day!
Ironically it was actually so relaxing! haha. We were seriously only in MK for like 20 minutes, so that probably explains it.

Popping in a little late to say hi and I'm so glad you started this! You mentioned August as well....when exactly?? I am going down August 21-28 and am so, so excited! Love the start of your report, the Festival of the Arts looks like so much fun! Also have to ask you, where did you get your pink coat? It is so cute!

:hug: so glad you're here! and you're not late at all, I'm just de-stressing by writing about Disney. Plus I have a lot to catch up on!

You were posting while I was writing a little PTR post, but it looks like we will just miss each other in August :sad: I can't take too much time away from work right now, the longest I can do is a couple days added on to a weekend!

The pink coat was a Lilly Pulitzer find that I actually bought on eBay in... wait for it... 2008! I just looked up the eBay order in my email. I can't believe I've had it that long! I really never wore it much before this past year, though, I must admit it didn't fit for a while :oops: but it does now! I love it and get so many compliments. I didn't pay that much for it either!

I cannot stop thinking about your idea of a restaurant that just serves a mashup of all the best breakfasts. I even looked up details on a private illuminations dessert party to see if we could make it work for the EPIC girls trip... alas, the minimum on a weekend is $3500 :eek: that's a lot of dang mickey waffles!!

Right!? It would be so perfect! And that's wild. I can't believe how much they've hiked up the prices for these things. Every time I look into the wedding-related stuff I used to research before our wedding, I'm shocked that it's gone up even more. Dessert parties were always an investment, but that's just insane.

I'm so excited to celebrate another birthday at Walt Disney World. I don't think anything is as special as so many people wishing you well! This will be slightly after my "real birthday" which is August 13, but I am not above celebrating a few days late!

I love this! August birthdays are the BEST! (Mine is the 5th, and you'd better believe that I'm also considering our anniversary trip in August to also be a belated birthday celebration for me!)

Darn it! It doesn't look like any of our park days line up! Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze in a meet anyway, because I've got a little bit of wiggle room in our schedule those first few days, to allow myself to take breaks as we adjust to the heat.

Brioche French Toast - $16 - Madagascar Vanilla Bean-scented Brioche French Toast with Bacon or Sausage :cloud9:

Every time you post about this french toast I want to try it! :p We have to head over there one of these trips, we just don't get to breakfast more than once a trip usually :rotfl:

All models need props to pose with :rotfl:

Your coat is really cute, I love the color!

You match Minnie so well! You're outfits are definitely perfect for modeling your ears!

That's right! I am leaving in less than ONE MONTH! Thank goodness.

:cheer2:

Also another "possible" new thing we are doing is the character breakfast at Ravello at the Four Seasons! It's "Goofy and Pals", which actually means, Goofy, Mickey, and Minnie :love:

Yes! Please review this! I've looked at it a couple times, and it looks really good. (Almost everything on the rotating buffet menu sounds delicious too), but it's kind of price-y so I've thought about it, but always end up pushing it to another trip. I'd love to hear a more current review of it.

OMG we will be at DHS for the same late evening, we have to say hi to each other!

Sounds like a fun trip coming up

I want to try those fries at AK, yummy!

For some reason I went through a spell of thinking that taking photos of menus would make be a better Dis reporter... :scratchin

I did that too... it didn't really help!

I had a bloody mary ($8.25) and a cup of coffee

Breakfast of champions! Bloody marys :love:

The vanilla bean butter! I am not even a big vanilla person, I would never get a vanilla milkshake or vanilla ice cream, but this is so delicious. I guess I am a butter person... I never knew people could dislike butter until I was catching up on @Lesley Wake's TR this morning! :rotfl:

I didn't know vanilla bean butter existed in this world and now my whole life has shifted and I must get to GCF.

Also whaaaaa, people dislike butter?

Ew these don't even look real! How did they manage that?

It was a gorgeous day and, again, I was trying to get cute photos of my ears for my shop.

I didn't realize your ears were made by you! Do you still have the shop?

R was wearing my Disney sunglasses since his got inadvertently left at home this time. Whoops!

Pink is his color:rotfl:

I am getting more "into" character meets and we had not done this one in a while, so I thought it was a nice opportunity to hang out with my main mice!

Me too! Wasn't my thing when I was younger, but now I love it!

We were en route to my favorite thing in Animal Kingdom, but stopped in Harambe on the way for a beverage

keg4PqC.png

Sometimes I skip ahead and so I read "my favorite thing in Animal Kingdom" and then saw a picture of a beer and was like YUP, just like my dad!

To catch a set from Burudika, of course! They are my FAVORITE! :lovestruc I must have hundreds of photos of Burudika at this point, I really should have posted a better one, but oh well, this one is from this January evening. I always enjoy stopping to take in the ambiance and listen to this incredibly talented band!

I should really take the time to stop and watch them! I've seen them in passing and stopped for a little bit, but never a full set

Mom and I are going to Walt Disney World August 16-19,

Exciting! But I also wish it was just a couple weeks earlier!

where I want to try that malva cake sundae at Tamu Tamu!

This is on my list too!

Try the Peter Pan float!

And this! Though it sounds a little weird... people seem to enjoy it. At the very least, it's very instagrammable :laughing:

I love this! August birthdays are the BEST! (Mine is the 5th, and you'd better believe that I'm also considering our anniversary trip in August to also be a belated birthday celebration for me!)

Darn it! It doesn't look like any of our park days line up! Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze in a meet anyway, because I've got a little bit of wiggle room in our schedule those first few days, to allow myself to take breaks as we adjust to the heat.
We are flexible too, and tried to leave some time for swimming or sleeping in, which I am totally willing to forego to say hi to you! Just let me know if you think there's a time you'll be free and I'll figure it out :flower3:

we just don't get to breakfast more than once a trip usually :rotfl:
That's what I love about your trips!!! Honestly, I TRY to sleep in on vacation. The older I get, the harder it is to sleep in. 8:00 is about the latest my body will sleep anymore :sad2: And I'm not much older than you so I sound like a grandma but I promise I'm not!

Also I'm not a huge breakfast person at home but Disney breakfast is a priority, haha

All models need props to pose with :rotfl:
:rotfl2:
At least it's realistic!

Your coat is really cute, I love the color
Thank you! It's in so many pictures from that weekend (brrr) that it seriously is the weekend of the pink coat

Yes! Please review this! I've looked at it a couple times, and it looks really good. (Almost everything on the rotating buffet menu sounds delicious too), but it's kind of price-y so I've thought about it, but always end up pushing it to another trip. I'd love to hear a more current review of it.
I know! It is a bit pricy for breakfast but it's only $2 more than chef mickeys and looks like a much nicer experience, more akin to California Grill brunch. The ravello price is $46 and I think I saw that you can get bottomless mimosas for $15, so that's still around the same price (a couple $ less) than California Grill with the TIW discount. Plus Minnie Mouse in a cute new different outfit!

Really hoping we actually make it, haha!

OMG we will be at DHS for the same late evening, we have to say hi to each other!

Sounds like a fun trip coming up

I want to try those fries at AK, yummy!
Yay! Okay that is perfect. Wonder what @MeghanEmily and N have planned that evening :scratchin

and if we could keep them "in our party" for EMH... :ssst:

I didn't know vanilla bean butter existed in this world and now my whole life has shifted and I must get to GCF.
Yes you must!!! And your phrasing of this has now got "at last I see the light" stuck in my head

... and the world has somehow shiiiifffteeddd

:P

Ew these don't even look real! How did they manage that
I think the heat lamp for a VERY long time... our service was reeeaaally slow that morning. We had drinks though so it was all good!
I didn't realize your ears were made by you! Do you still have the shop?
Technically yes, practically no. It's been "on vacation" for like a year and Etsy has recently changed some of the terms for sellers so I'm not rushing to reopen it. If you ever want something particular made just let me know, I still love making ears as a hobby I just don't have as much free time as I once did for the shop! (It was/is/was mindiemouseshop)

Sometimes I skip ahead and so I read "my favorite thing in Animal Kingdom" and then saw a picture of a beer and was like YUP, just like my dad
We vacation the same! Haha

I should really take the time to stop and watch them! I've seen them in passing and stopped for a little bit, but never a full set
I don't know specifically why I love them so much but the music is so upbeat and danceable, they do a great job hyping the crowd, and the musicians are seriously talented. The saxophone player also plays at Disney Springs sometimes and the female vocalist also performs in Festival of the Lion King and was one of the main singers in the Christmas show at the magic kingdom (the one famous for the left reindeer being extra). I think I just love that it's the "old Disney" level of quality and care. I mean, people would probably be just as happy without them, and yet, they're still there bringing smiles and making music!

And this! Though it sounds a little weird... people seem to enjoy it. At the very least, it's very instagrammable :laughing:
Odd story, when I was little my grandmother would get me from the school bus in the afternoon while my parents worked and occasionally take me to the local drugstore soda fountain (yes, we had one of those in podunk Georgia in the early '90s!) and my favorite treat was lime ice cream. Hopefully this float is similar? I will probably forget to get it because R is also interested in the churro ice cream sandwich, but I do want to try the Peter Pan float! (And just noticed that abbreviating it PP Float sounds rather disgusting)

Following along! I am always jealous of those who live close enough to WDW that having AP's and going a few times a year is an easy thing to do.

Following along! I am always jealous of those who live close enough to WDW that having AP's and going a few times a year is an easy thing to do.

I believe this geographic region is more aptly named "THE WALLET DANGER ZONE" :rotfl2:

Thank you for following, Lessa! I am glad to have you here! Off to go check in on your report!!!

That's what I love about your trips!!! Honestly, I TRY to sleep in on vacation. The older I get, the harder it is to sleep in. 8:00 is about the latest my body will sleep anymore :sad2: And I'm not much older than you so I sound like a grandma but I promise I'm not!

:laughing: I like getting to sleep in too.

Also I'm not a huge breakfast person at home but Disney breakfast is a priority, haha

Yes! I actually don't eat breakfast at home. I'm always running late for everything and never have time, and I don't usually feel hungry when I get up early so vacation breakfast is definitely a treat!

I know! It is a bit pricy for breakfast but it's only $2 more than chef mickeys and looks like a much nicer experience, more akin to California Grill brunch. The ravello price is $46 and I think I saw that you can get bottomless mimosas for $15, so that's still around the same price (a couple $ less) than California Grill with the TIW discount. Plus Minnie Mouse in a cute new different outfit!

Really hoping we actually make it, haha!

Yeah, the character meals are all around that price, but we don't do character meals often so I think that's why it seems so expensive, plus we'd have to spend some money to Uber to the Four Seasons too so I can't wait to see your review if you make it there!

Great report, and another August birthday girl here, as well as my oldest niece, as she born on the 13th too. We never forget her birthday, as she was born on a Friday. My youngest was born near the end of August, on the same day as my DH’s one nephew. Will never forget his birthday either.

Have to try those fries, they look lush.

Yes you must!!! And your phrasing of this has now got "at last I see the light" stuck in my head

... and the world has somehow shiiiifffteeddd

I think that's actually what it felt like for me :rotfl:

If you ever want something particular made just let me know, I still love making ears as a hobby I just don't have as much free time as I once did for the shop! (It was/is/was mindiemouseshop)

Oh thank you! I might have to take you up on that, I love the flower ears, but I've never been able to commit!

Odd story, when I was little my grandmother would get me from the school bus in the afternoon while my parents worked and occasionally take me to the local drugstore soda fountain (yes, we had one of those in podunk Georgia in the early '90s!) and my favorite treat was lime ice cream. Hopefully this float is similar? I will probably forget to get it because R is also interested in the churro ice cream sandwich, but I do want to try the Peter Pan float! (And just noticed that abbreviating it PP Float sounds rather disgusting)

Lime ice cream sounds soooo strange (says the girl who wants to try the PP Float), but I hope it brings back all your happy childhood memories!

I'm also interested in the churro sandwich, but I've heard the churro isn't warm, which is kind of a bummer.

I laughed so hard at PP Float, I'm never calling it anything else now!

'd made an opentable reservation for the Grand Floridian Cafe for a late breakfast seating around 10:45. Later we'd be headed to my favorite park, but first we had some cravings to satiate!
I had no idea you could do OpenTable at any of the disney owned restaurants. I'll have to remember that.

Dv16SUi.png

I had a bloody mary ($8.25) and a cup of coffee
Breakfast of champions!

bph0ayQ.png

The vanilla bean butter! I am not even a big vanilla person, I would never get a vanilla milkshake or vanilla ice cream, but this is so delicious.
I'm in the same boat. I don't care for vanilla at all but that butter is a thing of beauty.

9q8V8tP.png

R was wearing my Disney sunglasses since his got inadvertently left at home this time. Whoops!
Did he wear these the whole trip???? They are awesome!!!!! Totally looks like he is back in the 80's

C2aJd1e.png

And a trash can... :rolleyes2
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You should have hopped on and posed.

NQuYV39.png

Mr. Kamal's Seasoned Fries - topped with tzatzki salad and sriacha ketchup $5.49. These are fantastic - the toppings worried me a bit as they didn't sound like they went together, but they somehow work making this a great savory treat. R picked this out but I got to help enjoy them! Yummy!
We loved these too. Great snack!

keg4PqC.png

Reef Donkey APA Draft $9.25 - "secret selection of Hops gives this Dry Beer a Lemon-Lime Aroma with a Citrus and slight Tropical Fruit flavor." This is a favorite of mine that I will usually stop for at least once a trip. :thumbsup2
I've never tried this but it sounds right up my alley. I'll have to make a trip to Harambe for it.

Which brings us to ... Why? My birthday!
I totally forgot it was your birthday too. Yeah for Leo's!!! I'm the 20th so we'll be there for the actual National Holiday that is the day of my birth.

We're doing Ravello for breakfast, then swimming and getting cleaned up before dinner/appetizers at California Grill.
I actually had CG reservations on the 18th but was able to find another one on my actual birthday when I wanted it.

ANOTHER LEO!!!!!! Woohoo!

We are flexible too, and tried to leave some time for swimming or sleeping in, which I am totally willing to forego to say hi to you! Just let me know if you think there's a time you'll be free and I'll figure it out :flower3:

Beauty! We'll make it happen!

Vanilla is yum! Maybe I should try that French touch but the Grand Sandwich gets me every time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter