no tripods at Candlelight Processional

JudithM

DIS Veteran
Well, be forewarned - no tripods are supposed to be used by guests during the Candlelight Processional even if you are seated in the way back (not blocking other guests view). We were there last week & know two CMs who were singing. Since I use a scooter at WDW, we sat in the very back of the theater. The CM was sort of rude about not being able to use a tripod. Well, even with the vibration reduction lens on the digital slr, we needed a tripod. We used it, but pretended we weren't :)! The CM said guests could use a monopod. Go figure!

Probably because people are less likely to trip over a monopod.

LOL, low light shots are what they made 1600 ISO for!!

I have gotten some good hand held shots at CP. My camera is an Canon Elan IIe SLR. I use 800 speed film and a 50mm lens that has an aperture of 1.8(another words very large opening). Then I just keep looking through my camera waiting for a moment when there is enough light. When there is, the camera shake icon turns off and click..the photo is taken.

JudithM said:
Well, be forewarned - no tripods are supposed to be used by guests during the Candlelight Processional even if you are seated in the way back (not blocking other guests view). We were there last week & know two CMs who were singing. Since I use a scooter at WDW, we sat in the very back of the theater. The CM was sort of rude about not being able to use a tripod. Well, even with the vibration reduction lens on the digital slr, we needed a tripod. We used it, but pretended we weren't :)! The CM said guests could use a monopod. Go figure!

i agree with ndelaware, people are more likely to trip over a tripod since the legs spread outwards where a a monopod goes straight perpendicular to the ground,,the simple solution in this situation is to open 1 ,2 or all 3 legs of the tripod, but don't spread them outyou then have a monopod

Nice photo of Dick Van ****!

Hand holding the camera is not an option for us. Also, where we were sitting - in the back row in the handicapped section - opening a tripod was not a problem since we were the only one near it.

I posted just so others would be informed about the "policy."

Ok, I know this isn't the right place but since you were talking about tripods I thought I would ask. (what a way to steal a thread)

Thanks for the info about CP, I was going to take my tripod to the show. I will see if I can get it to sit up with the 3 legs not open. ;)

OK, here goes my questions...
1) Any place else we can't use a tripod?

2) Here's the important one. My new tripod collapses down to about a foot and half. Can I take it in my carryon bag???? Will the airlines let me. Yes I am Canadian but if anyone can do it then I should be able to.

My suitcase is going to be rather full when I leave on Sat so if I can take a few more things in my carry on the better for me. (don't trust the weather in Orlando so I am packing some sweaters. LOL)

Thanks you guys.

Shelley

wdwr said:
Thanks for the info about CP, I was going to take my tripod to the show. I will see if I can get it to sit up with the 3 legs not open. ;)

Shelley

it wil not stand on it's own, even with the legs spread slightly it will tip over easily, something you obviously want to avoid,

the idea is to hold on to the camera, just like you would using a monopod, for extra safety I prefer to put the camera starp around my neck, that way if I get caught up in the moment and forget that the tripod isn't opened fully,and let go of the camera, it doesn't crach to the ground...

You will have to check the tripod at most airports. TSA agents consider them weapons at many airports. I tried several times and my co workers were required to check them as luggage. I have stopped taking mine.

Not sure what the Canadian agents would say.

Thanks you guys.

Holding the tripod..got it. Because you know I would have tried to have it stand up. Someone times I just don't think ahead. Good save of my camera by Mickey88.

Tripod's going in the suitcase. Thanks safetymom. Not like I can put it in my suitcase when they say no. Just better this way.

I have never posted on the Photography board before but you guys have been Great and very fast to respond.

Maybe I will have a real photo question sometime. I already got the tips for the night shots from in here.

shelley

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter