No More Peanuts on Southwest

I think we just all need to be civil about this as it is a sensitive subject. We should all be able to agree to disagree on subjects without getting nasty with each other. We all come to this site to discuss and reflect and get help in planning our vacations. We will not all agree on every topic and subject and that okay and allows for healthy debate but when we get aggressive with topics it makes the boards seem unwelcoming to opinions. Lets all remember we are all here ultimately for our love for Disney.

Yes, I am the uncivil one responding to a poster basically accusing people with life-threatening allergies of being (selfish) special snowflakes who should find other ways to travel thousands of miles instead of hoping people could just be sympathetic to their needs for like two hours. You got me.

Last edited:
I can just see it now if this trend keeps going......

Before you line up to board today's flight to Orlando, we will need to go through the new Souhthwest Airlines allergy protocol. If any of the the following apply to you or someone in your party please see the attendant at the podium to make new arrangements.

If you are allergic to peanuts, shellfish, dogs, cats, gluten, scents, perfume, nuts, dairy, or any other item which may be on this flight, please stand aside
If you are nervous about flying, please choose to sit in the back of the plane
If you don't like screaming kids, sit in the middle of the plane
If you have had a recent illness we may not be able to take you on this flight
If flashing or strobe lights bug you, please see us for a special hood to wear while flying

Remember, you are all important customers for Southwest Airlines and we want all of you to feel special even at the expense of our other paying customers. Enjoy your flight !

Again, how ridiculous is all of this and where does it end? What will it be next? Again, if a customer has such bad allergies that the entire flight needs to be cautious or alerted to this fact, flying may not be the best way to travel. Just sayin....

Yes, I am the uncivil one responding to a poster basically accusing people with life-threatening allergies of being (selfish) special snowflakes who should find other ways to travel thousands of miles instead of hoping people could just be sympathetic to their needs for like two hours. You got me.

I am pretty sure my post said that all of us need to be with our comments. Most people who read something that is said in general purpose and they take offense to it is usually because they feel guilty about something. I know I have left threads because of the way people are commenting about other peoples opinions and if others feel that way then eventually we can lose peoples valuable feedback. I am one who thought that it was not right for them to take away from everyone due to a small population of people but thanks to some peoples comments and education by them in there responses I realize that it could be a major and even fatal situation so it made me reconsider my opinion. If I would have not stayed around to listen to people I wouldn't have been properly educated on the subject.

This won't be a popular opinion but I just don't think its right that one persons allergies effects everyone on board. There is people who are allergic to lots of stuff. I bet there is at least 10 people on every flight allergic to something. What if your allergic to dogs and someone has one? What if your allergic to coffee? I just don't think its right for everyone to not be allowed to get peanuts just because of a few people. Honestly they should have just got rid of them and not said anything and nobody would have been the wiser.

It’s so rare to read a thread where a person actually has a change of heart/gets it and acknowledges it. Good show as they say!

I have severe allergies to most dogs. Have been told on three different airlines, I’m the one that has to ask to be relocated. As they say: Dems the breaks. However, since we are normally near the front of the plane, not difficult to finder takers in the back to swap out seats.

I’ve been on many flights when the FA announces there is a peanut allergy aboard.

Hard truth is one person’s allergies could easily affect everyone on board if a medical emergency is declared and the plane needs to be re-routed.

Nuts trump pretzels in my book anyday, but if SWA’s ceasing to dole them out helps to ensure the plane gets where it needs to be, then I’m onboard.

I have severe allergies to most dogs. Have been told on three different airlines, I’m the one that has to ask to be relocated. As they say: Dems the breaks. However, since we are normally near the front of the plane, not difficult to finder takers in the back to swap out seats.

I’ve been on many flights when the FA announces there is a peanut allergy aboard.

Hard truth is one person’s allergies could easily affect everyone on board if a medical emergency is declared and the plane needs to be re-routed.

Nuts trump pretzels in my book anyday, but if SWA’s ceasing to dole them out helps to ensure the plane gets where it needs to be, then I’m onboard.

I see your point for sure on that. Thank you for sharing.

I am pretty sure my post said that all of us need to be with our comments. Most people who read something that is said in general purpose and they take offense to it is usually because they feel guilty about something. I know I have left threads because of the way people are commenting about other peoples opinions and if others feel that way then eventually we can lose peoples valuable feedback. I am one who thought that it was not right for them to take away from everyone due to a small population of people but thanks to some peoples comments and education by them in there responses I realize that it could be a major and even fatal situation so it made me reconsider my opinion. If I would have not stayed around to listen to people I wouldn't have been properly educated on the subject.

I truly appreciate the dialogue we've had in this thread. Like I said, my point of view on stuff like this has evolved so much over time as people with severe allergies have entered my life and you realize how hard it can be for them sometimes. It's hard for anyone who hasn't been there to understand the other side.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion on these things, but people criticizing others with allergies for being selfish and having "first world problems" just really makes my blood boil. That's where I dig my heels in.

I truly appreciate the dialogue we've had in this thread. Like I said, my point of view on stuff like this has evolved so much over time as people with severe allergies have entered my life and you realize how hard it can be for them sometimes. It's hard for anyone who hasn't been there to understand the other side.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion on these things, but people criticizing others with allergies for being selfish and having "first world problems" just really makes my blood boil. That's where I dig my heels in.

I get it completely and I would be the same way. Most of us don't understand things until they happen to us or effect us directly. We all (Including myself as I am guilty of it too) need to not be so quick to judge folks when we have not walked in there shoes and not know how difficult life can truly be until it effects us directly.

That is the bottom line. Everyone on board a plane should be mindful of this.

That is a very good point because I think some of us are just not aware of it and now that I am I personal don't plan on wearing any sort of cologne when flying now thanks to someone making me aware that someone onboard could be strongly effected by it.

I understand that there are people that are allergic. But if someone is deathly allergic, shouldn't they be carrying an epi pen of their own?

Now, I wouldn't want someone to have to use it, but that is why anyone with a life threatening allergy should carry one.

I carry one for bee stings. It is always in my purse and my family knows where I keep one at home.

But imagine now that every passenger gets a bag of bees guaranteeing a large presence ...Hopefully, your reaction isn't more severe than the one Epi pen can handle.

LOL.....I have to laugh at two sad things about this thread:

1) there are really four pages worth of post about whether or not it was a good thing to SW no longer have peanuts....and

2) I can't believe I actually read this thread

LOL.....I have to laugh at two sad things about this thread:

1) there are really four pages worth of post about whether or not it was a good thing to SW no longer have peanuts....and

2) I can't believe I actually read this thread

Glad we were able to humor you. Someone took the time to make the thread and some have taken time out to comment on how it effects them and have educated some of the importance this is to them but thank you for letting us know how you feel.

I'm curious. For those that worry about airborne, would it help to wear a mask? I know people wear them when sick but I would think, as an allergy parent, this would be more helpful than hoping others don't bring or eat peanuts on the plane. Only because I know even in my children's classes where certain items are banned and everyone is notified they still somehow end up in the classroom.

My kids are allergic to pretty much everything except for nuts. Although we've never given my twins peanut because they react to several other legumes already. Much of the food they are allergic to also isn't identified as an allergy on packaging. So we pretty much just have to be extremely cautious everywhere we go. On planes we board early and wipe everything down. Make sure everyone's hands are clean before eating. They won't react from touching but if anything gets onto their hands and makes its way into their mouth they can react enough to go into shock. And as it's not your typical IgE type of reaction there is no treatment to stop it like an Epi Pen. Personally, I would love it if people would be conscious enough of the risks of food allergies to just clean up after themselves and not leave a mess after they've eaten, but it's pretty unrealistic to expect that. When I hear about worries over airborne reactions my first thought was always maybe in risky places like a plane a mask could be used? Same for those with dog or fragrance allergies? Maybe they aren't as effective as I assume but might be worth a try.

We keep clashing with the nut free rules at schools, camps, daycares, etc. because my twins' diet heavily relies on nut products. Nut milks, nut flours, nut snacks, etc. And my older one has major food aversions, intolerances, and many allergies as well as growth issues so feeding him is also a bit tricky. Peanut butter is our go to for him although I do try for an alternative on the plane if it's a short enough trip. If planes were to ever go completely nut free it would make traveling rather difficult for us.

I always wonder why the people who claim to have the worst peanut allergies and say just breathing the dust will kill them never wear masks or respirators?
In all my travels I have only seen one family ever use a mask on a child.

Glad we were able to humor you. Someone took the time to make the thread and some have taken time out to comment on how it effects them and have educated some of the importance this is to them but thank you for letting us know how you feel.
I wasn't saying allergies weren't important because they are and if you have allergies to peanuts then you already know how it effects you. In a world where there are tons of allergies, allergies are a serious thing.

I'm curious. For those that worry about airborne, would it help to wear a mask? I know people wear them when sick but I would think, as an allergy parent, this would be more helpful than hoping others don't bring or eat peanuts on the plane. Only because I know even in my children's classes where certain items are banned and everyone is notified they still somehow end up in the classroom.

My kids are allergic to pretty much everything except for nuts. Although we've never given my twins peanut because they react to several other legumes already. Much of the food they are allergic to also isn't identified as an allergy on packaging. So we pretty much just have to be extremely cautious everywhere we go. On planes we board early and wipe everything down. Make sure everyone's hands are clean before eating. They won't react from touching but if anything gets onto their hands and makes its way into their mouth they can react enough to go into shock. And as it's not your typical IgE type of reaction there is no treatment to stop it like an Epi Pen. Personally, I would love it if people would be conscious enough of the risks of food allergies to just clean up after themselves and not leave a mess after they've eaten, but it's pretty unrealistic to expect that. When I hear about worries over airborne reactions my first thought was always maybe in risky places like a plane a mask could be used? Same for those with dog or fragrance allergies? Maybe they aren't as effective as I assume but might be worth a try.

We keep clashing with the nut free rules at schools, camps, daycares, etc. because my twins' diet heavily relies on nut products. Nut milks, nut flours, nut snacks, etc. And my older one has major food aversions, intolerances, and many allergies as well as growth issues so feeding him is also a bit tricky. Peanut butter is our go to for him although I do try for an alternative on the plane if it's a short enough trip. If planes were to ever go completely nut free it would make traveling rather difficult for us.
I haven't found a mask to help as the smell comes thru the mask. short of using an air purifier not sure what would help me. scents for me are not like pet dander or peanut dust that could be trapped by ask

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter