News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did note Pete mentioning on this week’s podcast that he has plans for next year “that John won’t like” - no idea what that could mean but hopefully another meet is part of it

I would love if they did another meet! I was unable to attend the big Dis party last year and I would love to meet the Dis team and all the DISers from the boards!

So, realizing this morning Disney is building 4 new hotels quickly. Coronado, Carribean Beach, Star Wars, EPCOT entrance.

That’s a lot more guests with some high capacity towers (Star Wars May stay in rooms, but still). Besides more income are they seeing more attractions that will absorb that many visitors? If they go DVC with even 1 of those, that’s consistent bookings north of 90% year round.

Very interesting plans happening.

So, realizing this morning Disney is building 4 new hotels quickly. Coronado, Carribean Beach, Star Wars, EPCOT entrance.

That’s a lot more guests with some high capacity towers (Star Wars May stay in rooms, but still). Besides more income are they seeing more attractions that will absorb that many visitors? If they go DVC with even 1 of those, that’s consistent bookings north of 90% year round.

Well, they have been running a 90%+ capacity which is a sign they need more rooms. Also, some of those are replacing other rooms (e.g., they knocked down some of Caribbean Beach to make room for Riviera) - it's a net increase, sure, but they did lose some rooms.

And seems like they are moving to more higher end hotels and then using the Disney Springs area hotels as the "new values"

I'm looking forward to see what the CBR new hotel ends up looking like. Could be fancy shmancy!
I just wish it didn't take so long to build the hotels.

That’s a lot more guests with some high capacity towers (Star Wars May stay in rooms, but still). Besides more income are they seeing more attractions that will absorb that many visitors?
New attractions may equate to more guests in the parks. New resorts may not equate to more guests in the parks. The difference is that a new resort may entice more people to stay at a Disney hotel rather than off property for their WDW trip.

New attractions may equate to more guests in the parks. New resorts may not equate to more guests in the parks. The difference is that a new resort may entice more people to stay at a Disney hotel rather than off property for their WDW trip.
Providing WDW becomes more price conscious and learns to compete with off property locations.

Providing WDW becomes more price conscious and learns to compete with off property locations.
:rotfl2:

Really, though, Disney doesn’t have to become more price conscious because price increases don’t seem to be slowing anything down at all. People will still come and shell out huge bucks to stay onsite and those that don’t want to pay those prices now have the option of DS hotels with the same perks as onsite. An Epcot hotel will go at a premium just because of location and I can’t even imagine the SW hotel rates. Yet I know several people that have never had any desire to go to WDW now stockpiling serious cash to stay at SW. They don’t have to compete with anyone right now.

I am not sure. Occupancy % in the ~90 region tells me they likely have head-space to grow into additional resorts. The question I would ask is what is the floor % of occupancy before you divert more of your capital towards the parks. Is it 82%, 85%, 88%, other?

:rotfl2:

Really, though, Disney doesn’t have to become more price conscious because price increases don’t seem to be slowing anything down at all. People will still come and shell out huge bucks to stay onsite and those that don’t want to pay those prices now have the option of DS hotels with the same perks as onsite. An Epcot hotel will go at a premium just because of location and I can’t even imagine the SW hotel rates. Yet I know several people that have never had any desire to go to WDW now stockpiling serious cash to stay at SW. They don’t have to compete with anyone right now.

That's certainly one factor.

I am not sure. Occupancy % in the ~90 region tells me they likely have head-space to grow into additional resorts. The question I would ask is what is the floor % of occupancy before you divert more of your capital towards the parks. Is it 82%, 85%, 88%, other?
We'll have to see what happens after the new lodgings have been open for a while and the reality of the prices compared to offsite locations hit home to the guests.
My thinking is that Disney's current predilection for fleecing their customers wallets will come back to bite them in the posterior down the road.
We've already decided that the new parking fees will be offset by cutting out most of the upper end dining that we've always partaken of.
I can survive as well on burgers as overpriced Strip steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter