NEWS 5/17: Late 2019 itineraries released - link in post #1 (2020 watch thread will start soon)

I guess I'm in the minority (and the lack of sailings for 2019 pretty much confirms it), but we loved our October Canada cruise from NYC last year, and really would have liked to do one next year. Unfortunately the date for the one sailing at the end of September isn't really appealing because the real draw of a northeastern cruise for us is the opportunity to see some fall color. We have very little of that here in Florida.

I guess I'm in the minority (and the lack of sailings for 2019 pretty much confirms it), but we loved our October Canada cruise from NYC last year, and really would have liked to do one next year. Unfortunately the date for the one sailing at the end of September isn't really appealing because the real draw of a northeastern cruise for us is the opportunity to see some fall color. We have very little of that here in Florida.

If you are in the minority, we are right there with you. Canada and New England in the Fall? Yes, please!!! We live in PA and have taken several land based trips to the area and one DCL cruise. We are doing a NCL 12 nighter in October from Quebec City to NYC and I cannot wait. For some reason, though, DCL cruises to that area just do not sell well and are often (heavily) discounted. They even offered the 2018 Quebec cruises as *GT fares prior to the PIF date, which is pretty rare. Other cruise lines sail year round out of NYC with success, but for some reason Disney struggles with it. Obviously it doesn't work with school schedules, and for some reason it just doesn't seem to attract enough adult only cruisers to make it profitable. :confused3

Or visits a distant port, such as Categena or Aruba. This is why the Panama Canal cruise can go from San Diego to Galveston.

You cannot start from one US port and end in another US port, via a single cruise or B2B unless there is a stop at a distant foreign port.

As an aside, this is why Hawaii cruises have to be round trip.
The one-way Hawaii cruises were legal because they were between the US (Honolulu) and Canada (Vancouver).

I wouldn’t write off a b2b between New York and Miami, with a change in San Juan, just yet. Technically, San Juan is a US port, but it is treated differently for cruises. I was on a San Juan to Norfolk cruise in 2009. The first leg of that cruise was from Tampa to San Juan, and there were a number of people on my cruise who had boarded in Tampa. Therefore, I assume that cruises between two different US ports are allowed when the connecting port is in Puerto Rico.

**I should've read the posts after this before posting! First, the Jones Act deals with cargo, and the Passenger Vessel Services Act deals with people. They are not the same laws.

DCL initially allowed people to book the San Diego (or LA) to Vancouver (repo) to Seattle (first Alaska cruise) b2b in May 2012, and that definitely violated the PVSA. After allowing a lot of people to do that b2b (and I'm sure getting into a lot of trouble) - DCL subsequently made people cancel one of the b2b cruises at the end of the season - from Seattle to Vancouver to San Diego. HOWEVER, if I wanted to take a chance on the New York to San Juan to Miami cruises - I would do so, as I think it may very well be a legal connection.

Last edited:

I am looking at the cruise from NYC going to Bahama's. I noticed it would go to Disney on Halloween. Do you think the ticket to the party would be included or would we have to pay extra?

I am looking at the cruise from NYC going to Bahama's. I noticed it would go to Disney on Halloween. Do you think the ticket to the party would be included or would we have to pay extra?

MNSSHP would be extra for sure. I would make sure what the last bus back is before paying though as you might not be able to be there the full time.

The one-way Hawaii cruises were legal because they were between the US (Honolulu) and Canada (Vancouver).

I wouldn’t write off a b2b between New York and Miami, with a change in San Juan, just yet. Technically, San Juan is a US port, but it is treated differently for cruises. I was on a San Juan to Norfolk cruise in 2009. The first leg of that cruise was from Tampa to San Juan, and there were a number of people on my cruise who had boarded in Tampa. Therefore, I assume that cruises between two different US ports are allowed when the connecting port is in Puerto Rico.

**I should've read the posts after this before posting! First, the Jones Act deals with cargo, and the Passenger Vessel Services Act deals with people. They are not the same laws.

DCL initially allowed people to book the San Diego (or LA) to Vancouver (repo) to Seattle (last Alaska cruise) b2b in May 2012, and that definitely violated the PVSA. After allowing a lot of people to do that b2b (and I'm sure getting into a lot of trouble) - DCL subsequently made people cancel one of the b2b cruises at the end of the season - from Seattle to Vancouver to San Diego. HOWEVER, if I wanted to take a chance on the New York to San Juan to Miami cruises - I would do so, as I think it may very well be a legal connection.

I seem to remember that last year when they announced the same cruises for fall 2018, DCL did not let people book it.

DCL initially allowed people to book the San Diego (or LA) to Vancouver (repo) to Seattle (last Alaska cruise) b2b in May 2012, and that definitely violated the PVSA. After allowing a lot of people to do that b2b (and I'm sure getting into a lot of trouble) - DCL subsequently made people cancel one of the b2b cruises at the end of the season - from Seattle to Vancouver to San Diego. HOWEVER, if I wanted to take a chance on the New York to San Juan to Miami cruises - I would do so, as I think it may very well be a legal connection.
Yes, I’ve since clarified one way from international port is fine, but that was also clear from the post I was quoting.

W/R/T your suggestion that San Juan is different, it seems to be for one way trips that start or end in San Juan. However, it is not a distant foreign port so a B2B from New York to Miami would, I think, violate the PVSA. When ships do relocation cruises from the east coast to another US port, such as a Florida port, they typically go down to Aruba or Columbia to hit the distant foreign port requirement. A stop in San Juan doesn’t count, which is exactly what a B2B would be in this instance.

And now the waiting game to book begins!!! Anyone else booking this one?!

WBTA
Departure Date:

9/15

Day 1

Dover, England

Day 2

Portland (Stonehenge), England

Day 3

Cobh (Cork), Ireland

Day 4

At Sea

Day 5

At Sea

Day 6

At Sea

Day 7

At Sea

Day 8

Sydney (Nova Scotia), Canada

Day 9

Halifax (Nova Scotia), Canada

Day 10

At Sea

Day 11

New York, New York

Looking at this itinerary too!
I hope the price is right!

I'll be sailing on the Fantasy this October.

Based on past experience, do you guys think it'll be cheaper to book online now or later onboard with the onboard-booking discount on the maybe-already-increased price?

Thanks!

I'll be sailing on the Fantasy this October.

Based on past experience, do you guys think it'll be cheaper to book online now or later onboard with the onboard-booking discount on the maybe-already-increased price?

Thanks!

For the WBTA? I'd book now as I think those tend to sell pretty well. You can always check and see about reshopping it when you're on board in October - you're under no obligation to book anything just because you go to the desk. :)

It isn't allowed. This is not the first time DCL has posted B2B repositioning to/from San Juan. I have read that people have not been able to book both legs of the trip, it is too bad because it would be a great B2B.

Would a 7 day Southern (San juan to San Juan), followed by a 4 day San Juan to Port Canaveral B2B be allowed? I find this rule confusing....

Update 5/17: last of 2019 released today: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/2019-castaway-club-member-advance-booking/

Update 5/8/2018: Castaway Club members will be able to book early via online booking: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...rs-launching-with-the-next-itinerary-release/

UPDATE 3/20/2018: A new 2020 thread will start when the last batch of 2019 cruises has been released.

UPDATE 3/1/2018:

Summer was just announced. Link: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/2019-castaway-club-member-advance-booking/

This is the place where we can keep an eye out for the releases of the 2019 Disney Cruise Line itineraries.

It is difficulty to predict, when new itineraries will be released. Over the last few years, DCL seems to have adopted a pattern to release the new cruises in three batches:

• "Winter": first cruise in the new year up to April/May (not including spring Panama Canal and Transatlantic)
  • "Summer": about May to August/September (not including fall Panama Canal and Transatlantic).
  • "Fall": September until the end of the year (ending with the last cruise starting in the old year).

The booking schedule has changed as of May 2017 and will go as follows

Day 1: Platinum Booking (only by phone)
Day 2: Gold Booking (only by phone)
Day 3: Silver Booking (only by phone)
Day 4: General public can book, cruises will be available over the internet

As was seen with the Fall 2018 release, which was the first one to follow the new schedule, the release date for information on the new itineraries was on a Thursday with booking starting for Platinum Booking on the following Monday.

On the booking days for Castaway Club members only booking via phone is available, no online booking. Online booking opens sometime in the morning of the general public booking day, usually a little before the phone lines open.

We usually had a thread going on the former booking day for Gold and Platinum Castaway Club members where those who have gotten info on prices when calling DCL can post their information for others to get an idea of what prices they have to expect. I hope we will continue this tradition, especially since there now will be three days of booking access only via phone with no ability to quickly check prices online.

Of course it is always possible that DCL changes it up! There have been different ways of releasing cruises (by ships, no early booking benefit for Gold and Platinum Castaway Club members, no announcement etc.).

But, looking at historic evidence from the 2015 through 2017 releases my guess (and that is all that it is!!!) would be the following:

Fall 2019: anytime between May 10, 2018 and May 17, 2018
Winter 2020: anytime between September 28, 2018 and November 9, 2018
Summer 2020: anytime between February 15, 2019 and April 5, 2019
By any chance would we know when they are releasing the costs of these sailings? It's great to know the itineraries but, I would like to know the prices. I can't find the prices anywhere.

Yes, I’ve since clarified one way from international port is fine, but that was also clear from the post I was quoting.

W/R/T your suggestion that San Juan is different, it seems to be for one way trips that start or end in San Juan. However, it is not a distant foreign port so a B2B from New York to Miami would, I think, violate the PVSA. When ships do relocation cruises from the east coast to another US port, such as a Florida port, they typically go down to Aruba or Columbia to hit the distant foreign port requirement. A stop in San Juan doesn’t count, which is exactly what a B2B would be in this instance.
Based on the PVSA, I would also think the b2b wasn't allowed. However, the reason I thought a connection in San Juan was allowed was because the cruise I took (the 2nd leg of Tampa-San Juan/San Juan-Norfolk) allowed people to board in Tampa and disembark in Norfolk. RCI may have gotten into trouble if the b2b did violate the PVSA, but if so - I never heard about it.
It isn't allowed. This is not the first time DCL has posted B2B repositioning to/from San Juan. I have read that people have not been able to book both legs of the trip, it is too bad because it would be a great B2B.
If DCL doesn't allow it, then it can't be booked - even if it is technically legal. People were not allowed to board the May 2015 Magic Transatlantic cruise in New York, that originated in Port Canaveral, even though there was no violation of the PVSA.
Would a 7 day Southern (San juan to San Juan), followed by a 4 day San Juan to Port Canaveral B2B be allowed? I find this rule confusing....
Yes, you can do that b2b. A one-way cruise from San Juan to another US port is allowed.

I actually think the 9/30 sailing would be great for fall color. Peak here in the lower Hudson Valley is usually around the second or third week of October, with Maine and Canada peaking a week or two earlier. It's very weather-dependent, though, so tough to really plan ahead. Last year we had a pretty lackluster fall in terms of color--the changeover trended late due to a warm fall and then everything just kind of went from green right to brown.

Galveston in January 2020? There are cruises listed in January on the announcement, but it still says 2019. The way the dates line up based on the last December 2019 cruise, I think this could be a typo, and it is really for January 2020. Has anyone gotten any clarity on that. This is what I want to book on Tuesday!

When do you think blackout dates for placeholder discounts will be announced? It's hard to plan or decide on a cruise without knowing this or the prices of the Fall 2019 sailings...

Anyone have any insider info?

Last edited:
I noticed that for Fall 2019 there were no Star Wars or Marvel Days at Sea events. Are these no longer running for fall 2019? Or is this something that might get announced closer to the date?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter