NEWS 5/17: Late 2019 itineraries released - link in post #1 (2020 watch thread will start soon)

The Jones Act was passed in 1920 to stimulate US trade shipping after WWI. The requirement to have goods shipped between US ports shipped on ships built, owned and operated by United States citizens or permanent residents benefitted the constituents of the namesake of the act, who represented Washington State. It gave them a near-monopoly on shipments to Alaska.

It supported/supports US imperialism by increasing the cost of shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and other non-continental US lands that rely on imports by restricting the number of vessels that can legally deliver goods. It's definitely had impact post-Irma in that regard, for instance.

There is a huge segment of the shipping industry who oppose getting rid of the Jones Act. The islands most impacted, at this point, don't get votes in Congress and so don't get a say.

Isn't San Juan a special case..? Am I crazy? When I look up the Jones Act it has this asterisk:
The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Note: Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands (St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S ports under this act.

Yes, one-way US port New York to San Juan is ok. However if that is followed by another on-way San Juan to Miami, it is viewed as one passage from New York to Miami. Hence the two repositioning cruises to move the Magic down to Miami.

Maybe I'm not seeing something right but == the last Alaska cruise for 2019 returns to Vancouver on 9/16/19 but the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to San Diego leaves on 9/30. That leaves a 2 week gap. Could they be doing a round trip to Hawaii from Vancouver?

Suggestion is dry dock

They don't sell . They're are already offering multiple discounts on the Quebec cruises. I would have been surprised if they would have done Quebec again. It's the same reason they don't go back to Hawaii. They offered multiples discounts on all the NYC cruises last year.

Not sure if someone already made this comment or not, but I really think the issue with NYC/Quebec departures is the time of year they are offered.
To me, the appeal of a cruise with a NYC departure is that it would be more convenient to get to than a southern cruise port.
I imagine a lot of families in the northeast states as well as Ontario, Quebec and the eastern Canadian provinces would think the same.

Problem is, for families in those areas, fall is not necessarily the best time to cruise.
September is "back to school" month for most schools in eastern Canada and the US.
Cooler, even wintry, weather can start to creep in as early as October, which sort of puts a dampen on the whole "let's go on a cruise close to home" aspect of things.
If Disney was willing to offer summer NYC or Quebec departures, I would be willing to bet they would sell MUCH better.

Also, for me personally, I would prefer a few additional Canadian stops on the cruise, even at the expense of a sea day or two.
(If Disney offered an itinerary similar to the ones HAL offers between New York (or Boston) / Montreal in the summer, it would totally be a "take my money" moment.)

Or visits a distant port, such as Categena or Aruba. This is why the Panama Canal cruise can go from San Diego to Galveston.

You cannot start from one US port and end in another US port, via a single cruise or B2B unless there is a stop at a distant foreign port.

As an aside, this is why Hawaii cruises have to be round trip.

Ours was from Honolulu to Vancouver :)

Not sure if someone already made this comment or not, but I really think the issue with NYC/Quebec departures is the time of year they are offered.
To me, the appeal of a cruise with a NYC departure is that it would be more convenient to get to than a southern cruise port.
I imagine a lot of families in the northeast states as well as Ontario, Quebec and the eastern Canadian provinces would think the same.

Problem is, for families in those areas, fall is not necessarily the best time to cruise.
September is "back to school" month for most schools in eastern Canada and the US.
Cooler, even wintry, weather can start to creep in as early as October, which sort of puts a dampen on the whole "let's go on a cruise close to home" aspect of things.
If Disney was willing to offer summer NYC or Quebec departures, I would be willing to bet they would sell MUCH better.

Also, for me personally, I would prefer a few additional Canadian stops on the cruise, even at the expense of a sea day or two.
(If Disney offered an itinerary similar to the ones HAL offers between New York (or Boston) / Montreal in the summer, it would totally be a "take my money" moment.)

I agree. Why would any want to sail out when the weather is so cold? :sad2: I wish they would offer some NY cruises in the late spring/summer months for us Yankees to enjoy. :worship:

Can I ask please the EBTA includes merry time cruise. Does that mean there will be merry time stuff ALL 14 days? Thank you

Bingo! I would LOVE to cruise out of NYC, but I am a teacher and cannot cruise when they are currently out of NYC. I have some hope that MAYBE when the new ships come out it will become a more regular port with a longer season. NCL and RCCL do it pretty much year-round, so it is definitely possible.

I agree with this. Also want to add that our Canadian dollar is in bad shape. I can't see myself paying for a cruise in US dollars when I can fly/travel to Quebec and vacation there on my own in our own currency.

Hmmm...just noticed that Magic is 'missing' a 7 nt cruise...10/5-10/11...there is a 5 nt cruise on 9/30 and a 5 nt on 10/12...nothing listed in between those. I wonder if it's a charter...and where it's going...
It's one of the two DVC member cruises in 2019 - also just announced today.

Yep, this is my thinking also. I would totally do a Canada cruise out of NY (and considered the Quebec cruise this fall but decided on British Isles instead) but would prefer to cruise to Canada during the summer months when the cooler Canadian air is a refreshing break from NY heat/humidity. I am hopeful that with the new ships coming they will be able to offer some cruises from NY in the summer (assuming one ship pretty much full time in Europe).

I thought booking for Silver CC started on 5/23? Just doublechecked, and it is definitely 5/23. Opens to general public 5/24. Does anyone know what time of day the bookings will open each day?
Thanks for the info, especially on the date. :thumbsup2

I'd like to know the time that you can start to book online also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter