Newbie, Oasis, Freaking Out...

Princess Katelet

Mouseketeer
Hello, I am booked on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean next month. This was a very last minute thing and the truth is I'm not looking forward to it. I've never wanted to cruise but my extended family loves it and finally talked me into joining them. However they picked the dates and ship and itinerary so I'm just stuck with what they chose. I'm now reading about the super tiny bathrooms, especially the shower (how do ladies shave their legs if there's nowhere to prop your leg AND have the shower large enough that your leg can be out of the water spray??), the tiny bedrooms, and the couch that pulls for sleeping but which then fills your entire room up so you can't walk.

I'm not sure what to expect but a week in a cramped space doesn't sound like a vacation. I realize one does not spend all their time in the room but I'm very introverted and will need space and time alone. I'm in room 8280 which is an ocean view balcony. Any thoughts on any of this? My two young adult daughters will be with me so we'll be three in a room. It says it has a pullman and a sofa bed and two twins. Are the sofa beds and pullmans comfortable? Who makes them up each night and morning? Are we responsible for pulling them out and putting sheets on them and such? Is there daily housekeeping or no? I know nothing! My family hasn't been on this ship before either (DCL people) so it's new for them, too, and they keep telling me they wished they'd booked DCL since I'm finally coming since they are convinced DCL is the best with the best service. They upset me each time they imply this is a bad first cruise and DCL is so much better.

Also, because it's three weeks away I am not able to get a passport and my birth certificate has my maiden name. RC says all I need is my license (normal, not enhanced and not REAL ID), my birth certificate, and my marriage certificate. Is that true? Is that enough? I know I could attempt expedited passport but it's so expensive just to get the passport that I don't want to pay another $60 on top of that PLUS I know someone who did expedited who didn't get it for four weeks. My daughters got passports last year and received them in three weeks with just normal processing but I can't take that chance because you have to give up your birth certificate to process the passport! So I could be left with neither a passport OR my birth certificate come cruise day! This is so last minute and I'm so clueless and so stressed out. I don't even understand how to complete the online booking.

Any input, advice, warnings, reassurance would be great, thank you!

Did you use a travel agent? They can help with many of your questions. Yes space is small but we did ok as. Family of 4. I could shave my legs. Housekeeping does everything.

I suggest you go watch some YouTube videos aboutnthe Oasis. If DCL is better is relative. Of course on a Disney board you will get strong opinions for them. If the difference in service makes a difference in if younenjoy the cruise or not is all relative.

Hello, I am booked on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean next month. This was a very last minute thing and the truth is I'm not looking forward to it. I've never wanted to cruise but my extended family loves it and finally talked me into joining them. However they picked the dates and ship and itinerary so I'm just stuck with what they chose. I'm now reading about the super tiny bathrooms, especially the shower (how do ladies shave their legs if there's nowhere to prop your leg AND have the shower large enough that your leg can be out of the water spray??), the tiny bedrooms, and the couch that pulls for sleeping but which then fills your entire room up so you can't walk.

I'm not sure what to expect but a week in a cramped space doesn't sound like a vacation. I realize one does not spend all their time in the room but I'm very introverted and will need space and time alone. I'm in room 8280 which is an ocean view balcony. Any thoughts on any of this? My two young adult daughters will be with me so we'll be three in a room. It says it has a pullman and a sofa bed and two twins. Are the sofa beds and pullmans comfortable? Who makes them up each night and morning? Are we responsible for pulling them out and putting sheets on them and such? Is there daily housekeeping or no? I know nothing! My family hasn't been on this ship before either (DCL people) so it's new for them, too, and they keep telling me they wished they'd booked DCL since I'm finally coming since they are convinced DCL is the best with the best service. They upset me each time they imply this is a bad first cruise and DCL is so much better.

Also, because it's three weeks away I am not able to get a passport and my birth certificate has my maiden name. RC says all I need is my license (normal, not enhanced and not REAL ID), my birth certificate, and my marriage certificate. Is that true? Is that enough? I know I could attempt expedited passport but it's so expensive just to get the passport that I don't want to pay another $60 on top of that PLUS I know someone who did expedited who didn't get it for four weeks. My daughters got passports last year and received them in three weeks with just normal processing but I can't take that chance because you have to give up your birth certificate to process the passport! So I could be left with neither a passport OR my birth certificate come cruise day! This is so last minute and I'm so clueless and so stressed out. I don't even understand how to complete the online booking.

Any input, advice, warnings, reassurance would be great, thank you!
Can't help you on the shaving part, yes, the bathroom (and shower) is small, but we managed.

You stateroom attendant will make up the beds each night. If there's three in the room, use the two twins and either the sofa bed or the pullman.

There is daily housekeeping, again done by your stateroom attendant.

If you don't have a passport, make sure you bring your driver's license, your birth certificate (NOT the one from the hospital, but from the state), and your marriage certificate.

DW & I went on Oasis for our first cruise and LOVED it (there's a link to my review in my signature). A balcony is great to have to just sit outside and enjoy the view/fresh air.

Relax and enjoy!

Could you get waxed before the cruise and not have to shave for the week? That would eliminate that concern.

Yes, rooms are relatively small. No, you probably won't feel cramped. This was at one time the largest cruise ship in the world. There are plenty of places to retreat and be alone. If all else fails, take some headphones and a book, grab a lounger somewhere on the ship and read to recover from the crowds, or do the same on your own balcony. I'm an introvert and need quiet alone time to recharge after socializing. I find cruises to be some of the most relaxing vacations in that regard.

You can get multiple official copies of your birth certificate from your state. I have three of them from South Carolina in the safe deposit box. Send one to the passport office and hold on to the others.

Relax and enjoy. This is a vacation.

Shaving - point the shower head at the wall, leave the shower doors open, and you should have enough room. There’s a bar in the shower to put your leg up on. (I had to figure this out for my wife, so that’s how I know)

There is enough room to move around the cabin when the beds are folded up. Might be a little cramped at night, but you’ll be sleeping so shouldn’t be a big deal.

I would get another copy of your birth certificate to send in for a passport. If you don't get your passport in time you can use your birth certificate, license and marriage certificate.

Thanks, everyone. I bit the bullet and paid $75 extra to get an expedited passport. All told it was $265 (passport book, passport card, fees, expedition) OUCH.

What will I need for clothes? Do we really need to dress up each night for dinner?? Shoes alone for that sort of thing make it hard to pack!

Oasis Western next month, maybe same cruise. Our 2016 Eastern Caribbean Oasis was fantastic and thinking our 2017 Dream will have been the last for DCL. Our room attendant came in about 9:30AM, made up bed and cleaned room. Came in again around 6:30PM, cleaned up again and turned down bed. Great service. Never dressed fancy for dinner. Some showed up every night in shorts.

PLEASE RELAX AND ENJOY!!! The ship, IMO, is wonderful and here's a little pixiedust: for you so that you might very well become a cruise junky.

I just got off of Oasis over a week ago. It’s a great ship with lots of activities (or you can relax anywhere -Central Park is my favorite for quiet time). There is also a library that is super quiet on the 11th deck. There is a bar in the shower for you to prop your leg to shave and the shower head is the movable kind (great to bathe my daughter). Your beds will be taken care of automatically by your room steward (almost like magic). We leave during the day and come back mid day and bed is made and sofa back together. We leave for dinner and come back with beds turned down with fun towel animals. You can dress as nice as you like or not at all. On formal nights, I mainly wear cocktail attire but I saw folks who wear jeans and/or shorts. I love this ship and I am planning to go back on it’s sister ship next year. Enjoy your cruise!

Lots of areas around the ship for you to just read. A great area is right on the other side of the aquatheatre. You can sit in a chair or lounger and watch the wake of the ship. Or you can sit on your balcony to see the ocean past by.

Take a deep breath and relax. You can dress how you want. There is always the buffet(windjammer) to eat at. Dining room will be fine as long as not wearing swimwear, tank tops, etc.

Have the room steward set up the pullman bed and have the two twins seperate. That will give you more room in the evening. Just watch out if you are sitting on the couch when you get up with the pullman bed down.

Lastly have fun and enjoy the cruise. If you go in with a negative mindset, nothing will be right and you will have a horrible time.

Thanks, everyone. I bit the bullet and paid $75 extra to get an expedited passport. All told it was $265 (passport book, passport card, fees, expedition) OUCH.

What will I need for clothes? Do we really need to dress up each night for dinner?? Shoes alone for that sort of thing make it hard to pack!
Yikes. Well, the good news is that you don’t have to renew for a few years. And it could be worse. One time,my brother’s passport expired while he was (I think) in Hong Kong. They have a Canadian Consulate so he was able to renew while there, but he also had to pay a premium to get it done.

Clothes - well, it’s the Caribbean, so shorts and t-shirts are the norm, of course. If you’re flying in, wear some autumn-appropriate clothing and you’ll be covered in the unlikely event it gets cold. For dinners and potential group phots I’d coordinate with your family so that everyone is dressed at roughly the same style of attire. Realistically if you and your girls wore summer dresses to dinner, even for formal nights, you would be fine. But as someone who does a lot of group travel with family I’ve found it’s best to coordinate dress ahead of time.

For shoes, For me (and bear in mind that guys have clunky shoes) I wear runners on the plane, dressy-ish shoes for dinners and photos, and flip flops (durable, comfortable ones like Crocs) for the rest of the time. Because I’m hard wired to have “indoor” slippers, I have a pair of Old Navy flip flops that I wear in cabin only. But YMMV on that one.

Oasis was our first cruise and we LOVED it- honestly I sailed on the DCL Fantasy after and although it was a great cruise too, our experiences although a bit different, we loved equally. I don't remember the cabin being overly small and I remember being able to shave my legs no prob. Your pocketbook will also love not covering twice the cost of the Oasis for Disney- you can add on a WDW stay for the difference :) I will def sail on Royal again, but not Disney for a while, as the value isn't there for us currently- we'd rather do another line and add the Disney park time.
As others have said, your cabin steward will look after the beds no problem.

Check out Central Park- there are some lovely quiet places and the music at night in wonderful.

Okay, breathe...relax...you're going to have a great time! Why you would be told this is a bad first cruise makes zero sense.

On RCL vs. DCL...yeah, Disney is the best, but Royal gives you much better bang for the buck. The ships are beautiful and clean, the staff is pretty much as good as Disney.

On the small staterooms...yes, they're small, but cleverly designed. Suitcases fit under beds and you'll be surprised at the amount of storage. You'll figure out a system for the three of you so you won't trip over each other. And you'll be so busy most of the time that you won't be in the stateroom that much anyway. And you have a balcony!

On dressing up for dinner...up to you. Some will really go formal on formal nights, but it isn't necessary. As long as you don't show up to the dining room in shorts or a bathing suit, you'll be fine. And if that doesn't make you feel comfortable, you can always have dinner in the Windjammer. There's plenty of folks that enjoy that more anyway...they'll have themed nights in the Windjammer every night that can be really good.

Glad you got the passport situation resolved... My only advice at this point is to try to reverse your expectations a bit. I think you'll have a good time and the week will fly by (and its fine you're an introvert...so am I). Don't go crazy packing...there's no need. Just make sure you have your passport, make sure the online checkins are done, etc. If you haven't already, maybe check out the Cruise Compasses from a past cruise to get an idea of what some of the day to day activities are, and get ready for an enjoyable week.

I'm a strong believer that everyone's vacations are what they make of them. If you go into it believing you won't have a good time, chances are, you won't. You know what you like best, look for those activities and situations and I bet you'll have a great time. DCL isn't the end all be all and if you went on an RCCL board, you would have just as many people telling you its the only way to cruise. I hope you have a great trip!

We sailed on the Oasis a few months ago and it was our favorite family cruise to date--that is after 20+sailings including DCL Magic! We splurged on beverage and dining packages and still paid thousands less than the comparable Disney cruise. We prebooked shows and reserved all of our dinners for the week when we first got onboard. After that, everything was relaxing and fun the whole week!

We loved all the shows and went back to several twice. Dinners were wonderful, and including a couple custom made dishes that thrilled my picky tween. We always found fun things to do around the ship and finished most evenings at the dance club. Lots of great hidden places to relax with a book, though it's hard to beat the private balcony.

Relax, go, have fun. Don't expect perfection-- even the magical DCL is far from perfect! If there is something you want or need, speak up. Pack clothes that make you feel good about yourself, there is no such thing as too dressy or casual on this ship. Central park is great, and so is the Aqua theater, especially when the dive show is rehearsing. Just sit back and enjoy the time with your family.

Sorry you have to cruise against your will. That sounds horrible. All of it. The balcony, 7 nights on a huge gorgeous ship with tons of activities, the tropical ports, the family time. I hope you get through it!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't worry so much. I have cruised with DCL 2x and loved every second but I am trying Royal in 12 weeks. I can't wait! Vacation is always what you make it. Try to enjoy yourself. I hope you have an amazing vacation with your family!

Don't panic. Cruises are amazing. You're going to have a great time.

But make sure you bring sea sickness meds. Because you never know if/when you are going to experience it ... and sea sickness is the not-so-amazing possibility that comes with a cruise.

I was on the oasis in 2015, and there was 3 of us to an ocean view balcony room and it was fine :)

Oasis was our second cruise after a several year break, and we loved it also.

(how do ladies shave their legs if there's nowhere to prop your leg AND have the shower large enough that your leg can be out of the water spray??)
I bent over and pointed the shower head away. Didn't even need to leave the door open. It was fine.

I'm in room 8280 which is an ocean view balcony. Any thoughts on any of this?
So you're on deck 8 which I believe is the same deck as Central Park, if I recall. If you want to get away for a little bit by yourself, Central Park is a good place to do this. We were on deck 9 towards the front of the ship and had no issues with noise or inconvenience to the places I wanted to go.

Do we really need to dress up each night for dinner??
I'd say its more business casual than dressing up. When dining in the MDR or specialty restaurants, my dad and DH wore polos and jeans, my mom and I wore capris with a nice top. We re-wore several things. When eating at the buffet Windjammer, its completely casual. Formal nights require you kick things up a notch for clothing, but this is only in the MDR. Its easy to avoid the MDR on formal nights if you don't want to bring those kind of clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter