New to Aulani

kmk1180

"Today's a good day to Win a Trip to Disney World.
Just found out we are headed to Aulani for 5 nights this summer.
Will be myself, my wife, and our 2 kids (7,9)

I don't know a thing about it.

What is he must do?
Must not do?

Is there a must do excusion off property?
Or must see sight off property?

Should we book events or excursions in advance?
or when we get there?
(looking like it will be mid june)

Will do doing my homework on it from now till
then any tips or advice would be welcome.

thank you

I thought I'd be bored to tears by Pearl Harbor. I wasn't. It's a must-see for sure. Make sure to do at least the cheaper tour.

Also, get a rental car, even if for a day (there's an Alamo desk at Aulani). The island is small, and there are lots of places within a short drive. The North Shore and the shrimp trucks out that way are terrific.

You may also want to do a traditional luau, as Disney's version doesn't include food. Paradise Cove is literally next door (walking distance). I also heard good things about Giovanni's. (I haven't done either.)

The Dole Plantation is a giant tourist trap, but if you want Dole Whip right from the source, it might be worth a stop on your way up to the North Shore. Inexplicably, you can't get any at Aulani.

Just found out we are headed to Aulani for 5 nights this summer. Will be myself, my wife, and our 2 kids (7,9) I don't know a thing about it. What is he must do? Must not do? Is there a must do excusion off property? Or must see sight off property? Should we book events or excursions in advance? or when we get there? (looking like it will be mid june) Will do doing my homework on it from now till then any tips or advice would be welcome. thank you

I think the Polynesian cultural center is a must-see. It's a drive but there are buses. It's great and supports Polynesian college students.

I thought I'd be bored to tears by Pearl Harbor. I wasn't. It's a must-see for sure. Make sure to do at least the cheaper tour. Also, get a rental car, even if for a day (there's an Alamo desk at Aulani). The island is small, and there are lots of places within a short drive. The North Shore and the shrimp trucks out that way are terrific. You may also want to do a traditional luau, as Disney's version doesn't include food. Paradise Cove is literally next door (walking distance). I also heard good things about Giovanni's. (I haven't done either.) The Dole Plantation is a giant tourist trap, but if you want Dole Whip right from the source, it might be worth a stop on your way up to the North Shore. Inexplicably, you can't get any at Aulani.

However you can get them at the ABC grocery store across the street!!!

Agree with getting a car. It's a long trip from airport and not much out there unless that is all you want to see. Summer will be crowded so I'd book as early as can. Hard to rec without knowing your preferences. I'd rec Pearl Harbor, north Shore, PCC, lanikai beach, snorkeling, SUP lessons. Luau is ok since you "gotta" do it. Make sure kids have backup food in case. Please be careful of car breakins wherever you go. Don't be victimized. Too many come here and leave with sad stories that could have been avoided. Have fun.

Thank you for the tips.
I'll look into those.

We are going in MAY(CANNOT WAIT) and are looking into ATV Tours at Kualoa
Ranch. Read also that they have horseback riding for those that prefer that!

We NEVER have been on an ATV and this will APPEAL to our 2 OLDER SONS!
Cannot wait...Video looks AWESOME!

I just went on www.kualoa.com for more info. Heard also that Aulani offers an excursion to Kualoa Ranch for those that do not have car transportation.
Think that motorcoach transportation is provided as to Kualoa Ranch as part of the Aulani excursion. Pricey through Aulani, but for those that don't want to rent a car, an option!

We are renting car anyway, so think we will book it on our own and drive there...

Think that Kualoa Ranch is about 1 hour each way from Aulani....A GREAT EXCURSION for the day in my opinion!:)

We are doing Pearl Harbor and Waikii Beach one day....Other day will be Kualoa Ranch and the rest of the time, JUST HANGING AT AULANI...
CANNOT WAIT!YIPEE!:dance3::yay::thumbsup2

ENJOY PLANNING!:dance3:

I hope all of you doing 5 days at Aulani are also going to other islands. I personally don't consider it to be "worth it" to just do Aulani and Oahu. As for tours. I'd much rather choose my own attractions and drive myself. OUr favorite things to do on Oahu (other than Aulani) are hiking Diamond Head, the Polynesian Cultural Center, visiting the many scenic outlooks around the island, the great little "hole in the wall" places to eat up on the North shore, etc. etc. etc. Tours make you miss the "real" parts of the island. There are a hundred things to do and see....The Palace, the Bishop museum and on and on and on in addition to Pearl Harbor. Of all of these, only Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor are every trip must do things.

I hope all of you doing 5 days at Aulani are also going to other islands. I personally don't consider it to be "worth it" to just do Aulani and Oahu. As for tours. I'd much rather choose my own attractions and drive myself. OUr favorite things to do on Oahu (other than Aulani) are hiking Diamond Head, the Polynesian Cultural Center, visiting the many scenic outlooks around the island, the great little "hole in the wall" places to eat up on the North shore, etc. etc. etc. Tours make you miss the "real" parts of the island. There are a hundred things to do and see....The Palace, the Bishop museum and on and on and on in addition to Pearl Harbor. Of all of these, only Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor are every trip must do things.

We've been to other islands. This is our first trip to Oahu though. We are in Oahu longer...just 5 nights at Aulani. This trip is really a relaxing trip planned as a surprise for our kids. I'm good with 5 nights of relaxation, as many of our WDW and other vacations we are on the constant go. Tours and other things will be kept to a minimum this trip. :)

I just went on www.kualoa.com for more info. Heard also that Aulani offers an excursion to Kualoa Ranch for those that do not have car transportation.
Think that motorcoach transportation is provided as to Kualoa Ranch as part of the Aulani excursion. Pricey through Aulani, but for those that don't want to rent a car, an option!

We are renting car anyway, so think we will book it on our own and drive there...

Think that Kualoa Ranch is about 1 hour each way from Aulani....A GREAT EXCURSION for the day in my opinion!:)

We are doing Pearl Harbor and Waikii Beach one day....Other day will be Kualoa Ranch and the rest of the time, JUST HANGING AT AULANI...

Where are the little local places you like to eat?

Thanks

We've been to other islands. This is our first trip to Oahu though. We are in Oahu longer...just 5 nights at Aulani. This trip is really a relaxing trip planned as a surprise for our kids. I'm good with 5 nights of relaxation, as many of our WDW and other vacations we are on the constant go. Tours and other things will be kept to a minimum this trip. :)

When will you be at Aulani?

Please be careful of car breakins wherever you go. Don't be victimized.

I can attest to this. My wife dropped our camera, and we went to a local Best Buy to buy a new one. I forgot and left my wallet in the cup holder in the front seat. Someone broke in and stole it. Used my credit cards within minutes.

We had a second credit card at the hotel, and I didn't have any cash in it,. so it was more of an annoyance than anything else.

Also was able to test a long standing belief that you really don't need ID to fly in the United States, no matter what the TSA would try and make you believe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter