New Placeholder Extension/Cruise Date Flexibility Program

Same! I booked today with my August 2021 expiring placeholder and used it for a November 2021 cruise. The cast member confirmed that it was now good until March 2022 and I didn’t need to first book a “throw away” cruise and then modify it.

Same! I booked today with my August 2021 expiring placeholder and used it for a November 2021 cruise. The cast member confirmed that it was now good until March 2022 and I didn’t need to first book a “throw away” cruise and then modify it.
I am trying to figure out how to do this for a 2022 cruise. So for those of us that want to use a current placeholder that will expire in 2021 on a January 2022 cruise, we would have to book a "throw away" cruise before August 31, 2020 and then we could move it to the 2022 dates when they come out and keep the OBB. Does that sound right?

So on the phone with DCL yesterday I was told that the new rule is that the date counts when you convert your placeholder into an actual cruise. I got the placeholder onboard in Oct 2019. In the first week of November 2019 (~ the 4th of Nov, 2019) I booked a Nov. 2020 cruise with it. I was told by DCL I could move it to any cruise departing prior to the 4th of November 2021 -unfortunately that meant we couldn't get a November 2021 sailing with the OBB, which is what I had hoped. I moved the money to an Oct 2021 cruise. Was this information incorrect?

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out how to do this for a 2022 cruise. So for those of us that want to use a current placeholder that will expire in 2021 on a January 2022 cruise, we would have to book a "throw away" cruise before August 31, 2020 and then we could move it to the 2022 dates when they come out and keep the OBB. Does that sound right?
So that’s the part that I think is all around iffy about this whole thing. They’re saying the deal is good for cruises through spring 2022 but they’re also saying the offer expires August 31. If you already have a sailing booked with your placeholder you can now move it to a later date, past expiration, and keep your deal. You can also book a new booking with a placeholder past expiration date...they say up until 2022 but also say the booking has to take place by August 31. I think it’s vague. I’m not sure since the deal isn’t written out specifically and I’d be hesitant about it. Maybe try to chat and see if you can get some info in writing?

I had a placeholder that was/is set to expire in Dec 2020 and I had a cruise booked to use this placeholder prior to it expiring.

In May 2020 - I called and moved this 'placeholder/deposit" to another cruise in June 2021 as I did not want to sail this year with COVID. When I moved my 'placeholder/deposit" to the new June 2021 cruise - I lost my placeholder booking perks - which I expected and confirmed with DCL - they just basically moved my $$ to the new cruise and asked my to pay more $$ because my deposit went from the 10% to 20%...

Last night - I went into my June 2021 cruise as I wanted to upgrade my room from a porthole to a balcony and when I made the move - it looks like I got back my placeholder booking benefits - I now have the 10% off the current cruise price and I did not owe any add'l $$ for the deposit (which I would have at a 20% deposit requirement as the room I moved to was more expensive) so I assume the deposit went back to 10% as well ... Now I just wonder if I will get my OBC back - won't know until we board I guess... Needless to say - I was very happy!! :yay:
You should just be able to call DCL to make sure that gets applied as well. We did. :)

This is likely what we will do. Mostly I knew we wouldn’t be ready to cruise in March even if things are running, so I was going to push out the date. This gives us a couple extra months - which works out perfectly for us - so I imagine we will move out again when spring 2022 comes out.

We have an unused placeholder with 10% discount that is set to expire in March 2021. We have a cruise booked with our TA for June 2021 that is not using that placeholder. Can we apply the placeholder to the June 2021 cruise?

We have an unused placeholder with 10% discount that is set to expire in March 2021. We have a cruise booked with our TA for June 2021 that is not using that placeholder. Can we apply the placeholder to the June 2021 cruise?

The placeholder already has a confirmation/reservation # so no, you can't just "apply" it. You could cancel your current reservation and move the placeholder to the June 2021 sailing.

So that’s the part that I think is all around iffy about this whole thing. They’re saying the deal is good for cruises through spring 2022 but they’re also saying the offer expires August 31. If you already have a sailing booked with your placeholder you can now move it to a later date, past expiration, and keep your deal. You can also book a new booking with a placeholder past expiration date...they say up until 2022 but also say the booking has to take place by August 31. I think it’s vague. I’m not sure since the deal isn’t written out specifically and I’d be hesitant about it. Maybe try to chat and see if you can get some info in writing?

That's weird. I think they are trying to create demand by giving this Aug 31 "deadline".

We are booked on the Feb 2021 WBPC sailing. It was booked onboard in Sept 2019 as a placeholder, then moved to this sailing a few weeks later, so it would normally expire in Sept 2021. I'd like to move it to the 2022 WBPC sailing, assuming that will be in Feb again. That would be 5 months beyond the original expiration date.

Why do they have to make everything so complicated? Why can't they just tell people, "We're giving everyone with an OBB a 6 month (or 12 month or whatever) extension to your expiration date." This simplifies it for everyone involved.

It's such BS to tell people they only have 1 month to change their dates. They are trying to re-create the feeding frenzy they are accustomed to when new dates are released. Sure, I'd like to move our dates but the date we want isn't even available yet. I'm also not going along with the idea to PIF 4 months before sailing and have those funds become non-refundable. I will cancel completely and lose the stupid OBB before I let them hold onto almost $9k throughout this pandemic with no idea of when cruising will resume, and no way of getting my money back. They are out of their cuckoo minds if they think that's going to happen. :crazy: It's bad enough I bought $2000 in Disney gift cards which is cash I'll never get back. :mad:

I booked a November 2021 cruise with a placeholder that expires sep 2021. My TA also said it extended to March 2022. She said a placeholder extends only if it’s used for a cruise. If you don’t convert it, it expires on its expiration date.

I booked a November 2021 cruise with a placeholder that expires sep 2021. My TA also said it extended to March 2022. She said a placeholder extends only if it’s used for a cruise. If you don’t convert it, it expires on its expiration date.
We just booked a September 2021 cruise using a placeholder that expires in November 2020. Received the 10% discount plus the last of my $200 stateroom credits for that cruise. I can confirm that the extension only applies if you convert the placeholder into an actual cruise booking. If we later cancel the booking, the placeholder is lost, since you cannot have a cruise booking that reverts to an open placeholder.

We just booked a September 2021 cruise using a placeholder that expires in November 2020. Received the 10% discount plus the last of my $200 stateroom credits for that cruise. I can confirm that the extension only applies if you convert the placeholder into an actual cruise booking. If we later cancel the booking, the placeholder is lost, since you cannot have a cruise booking that reverts to an open placeholder.

do you know if the cruise can be moved? And keep the placeholder perks

do you know if the cruise can be moved? And keep the placeholder perks
Yes, once the placeholder has been converted to a cruise booking. The cast member I spoke with said we could still move this booking to a different cruise so long as we sailed by sometime in spring 2022 (TBH, I didn’t pay much attention to the precise date since there are no itineraries available that far out at this time).

I cruised in Feb 2020, and booked a cruise for March 2021 (our spring break). I am pretty certain we won't be cruising this March...but the cruises for early 2022 aren't announced yet. Do I need to switch my cruise to a fake late 2021 cruise, so that I can then switch to a March 2022 one when they come out to keep my OBB discount beyond the 24 months? I heard something about booking by late August...a bit confused.

Yes, once the placeholder has been converted to a cruise booking. The cast member I spoke with said we could still move this booking to a different cruise so long as we sailed by sometime in spring 2022 (TBH, I didn’t pay much attention to the precise date since there are no itineraries available that far out at this time).

fingers crossed. I’m hoping to move once spring 2022 opens.

I cruised in Feb 2020, and booked a cruise for March 2021 (our spring break). I am pretty certain we won't be cruising this March...but the cruises for early 2022 aren't announced yet. Do I need to switch my cruise to a fake late 2021 cruise, so that I can then switch to a March 2022 one when they come out to keep my OBB discount beyond the 24 months? I heard something about booking by late August...a bit confused.
You should be able to only switch once, assuming timing is the same as usual. Generally the spring schedule is released in early October.

However, if your placeholder would expire before the time you would want to go in March 2022, I would do the double rebook (one this month and one when the others come out) to possibly extend the date.

You should be able to only switch once, assuming timing is the same as usual. Generally the spring schedule is released in early October.

However, if your placeholder would expire before the time you would want to go in March 2022, I would do the double rebook (one this month and one when the others come out) to possibly extend the date.
Yes my placeholder would expire in Feb 2022

The placeholder already has a confirmation/reservation # so no, you can't just "apply" it. You could cancel your current reservation and move the placeholder to the June 2021 sailing.
Our unused placeholder expires in May 2021. We have a cruise booked for June 2021 that is not using any placeholder. Our TA spoke with DCL and was told we should be able to apply the placeholder to the June 2021 sailing. So for 2 days now, with 2 different DCL reps, they were unable to get the placeholder benefits applied either by rebooking as new with all the same info or replacing the existing booking. TA said will call again and hopefully get an agent who could make this happen.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
Our unused placeholder expires in March 2021. We have a cruise booked for June 2021 that is not using any placeholder. Our TA spoke with DCL and was told we should be able to apply the placeholder to the June 2021 sailing. So for 2 days now, with 2 different DCL reps, they were unable to get the placeholder benefits applied either by rebooking as new with all the same info or replacing the existing booking. TA said will call again and hopefully get an agent who could make this happen.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hmm. I had a OBB reservation that expired June 19, 2021, and was just able to use it on June 20, 2021, so I know it's possible. In my instance, it was a used place holder that used for a February 2021 booking that they then moved to the June 20th date. Maybe see if they can book you a cruise for say March, when the placeholder is valid, and then move that to June? Seems a bit convoluted, but maybe it will work...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter