New Jersey shore similar to Ocean City Maryland

It's been a long time since my days going down the shore, but a lot of people I know felt Wildwood felt a lot like Ocean City. I went to Ocean City a couple of times for school competitions and have only been to Wildwood once (late 80s/early 90s), but I did feel a similar vibe.

Our summer house down the shore when I was growing up was in the Toms River area and we used to go to Seaside Heights and Point Pleasant for boardwalks, Ortley Beach was where we had our beach membership (Lavalette was also nice), and Island Beach State Park at the southern tip of Seaside Park was where we'd go if family was in town visiting. Anything on LBI is also really popular with my friends and family. Before our house down the shore days, Beach Haven was our go-to spot if we were doing more than a day trip down the shore. It's a nice area, but I never got the Ocean City, MD vibe from it.

Wildwood has the biggest boardwalk and some good rides, ocean city NJ has a smaller one, more family centric, point pleasant wins over seaside, which can have an element (I have a good friend in Toms River who says there are gang issues). I’m in north jersey, but I’m a wildwood fan, but not on weekends.

It's actually just the "Jersey shore". Wildwood is your best bet given what you're looking for. If you're looking for more quiet and quaint Cape May isn't too far.

I agree that Wildwood is the Jersey shore town most similar to Ocean City, MD. Both have boardwalks, amusement rides, arcades, tacky souvenir stores, go carts, mini golf, bars, etc. etc. etc.

Ocean City, NJ is a dry town. No alcohol sold. But there are liquor stores right at the foot of the bridges into town.

Seaside Heights is where I grew up going mainly, seems like it's going back to more family, at least during the week it's beautiful with the bay on one side the ocean on the other, what a beautiful town, something for everyone. Seaside also has a wild pristine state park at the end of the island which is absolutely a must do, beautiful, similar to Assategue Island (minus the horses) outside of Ocean City MD. Lately we go to Long Beach Island below Seaside going to Beach Haven staying at Engleside Inn right on the beach, walk right out your door onto beach with a small cafe outside to get lunch and a bar and another restaurant inside the hotel, extremely clean and nice with rooms that can go from standard to family size with living areas and jacuzzi's, really nice. No boardwalk but it's nice bc the hotel is right on the beach and there is an amusement area in town with rides and stores, we ride our bikes there, very family oriented island, no bad element at all. All the towns up from Seaside are smaller and nice. Wildwood is actually the biggest as far as the boardwalk itself goes, more amusements if you want that compared to Ocean City MD but we prefer the above. Ocean City NJ is nice. Wildwood has a very poor area where there is poverty and some abandoned areas in the town itself. Cape May is a really lovely charming town, no rides tho. I love the Jersey shore, grew up going down there for vacation for week long trips or weekends. Many towns similar to Ocean City MD.

Last edited:
I live in Maryland, about 2 hours from Ocean City, and I honestly prefer Wildwood instead...North Wildwood if I'm getting into specifics. I also really liked Ocean City, NJ since it seemed so much cleaner that "our" Ocean City.

I live in Maryland, about 2 hours from Ocean City, and I honestly prefer Wildwood instead...North Wildwood if I'm getting into specifics. I also really liked Ocean City, NJ since it seemed so much cleaner that "our" Ocean City.

Another Marylander here....I concur. "our" Ocean City isn't the greatest...picture Baltimore, with a boardwalk and louder pick up trucks. Dewey, Rehoboth & Fenwick are all a bit nicer (in my opinion).

Another Marylander here....I concur. "our" Ocean City isn't the greatest...picture Baltimore, with a boardwalk and louder pick up trucks. Dewey, Rehoboth & Fenwick are all a bit nicer (in my opinion).

You pretty much nailed that description. :thumbsup2

We usually stay at Princess Royal which is way off boardwalk.
My cousin has house in Ocean City NJ. We like that but for some reason enjoy OCMD more.
In part its the hotel which we really like but he prices have gone crazy.
Will check out places mentioned.

...when I saw your thread, Wildwood immediately came to mind...

Wildwood has the biggest boardwalk and some good rides, ocean city NJ has a smaller one, more family centric, point pleasant wins over seaside, which can have an element (I have a good friend in Toms River who says there are gang issues). I’m in north jersey, but I’m a wildwood fan, but not on weekends.
....I agree....Seaside Heights has become very seedy in the last 10 -15 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter