Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is the company designing the hotel. You can see some projects reminiscent of the concept art.
https://www.watg.com/projects/

That firm can definitely do themed if asked to. I thought this design was interesting:
https://www.watg.com/project/dali-lippo-karawaci-luxury-resort-dali-china-architecture/

If they are going to do prairie style, they need to go all out and commit. No halfing it to try to appease some prtion if audience that probably wouldn't stay at this location anyways. I feel like when AKL and WL were built, they went full out with theme...they need to do that here too. And this architect firm can do that , based on their portfolio, if Disney let's them.

This is the company designing the hotel. You can see some projects reminiscent of the concept art.
https://www.watg.com/projects/
Thanks for the list-- if you look through, yo can find yacht and beach, the new coronado, the bungalo's, a form of bay lake, etc (in form)....
All design is imitation and adaptation. At this point in our history, there are no new ideas... except maybe a space cruise line resort....

WDW is full of resorts with theme... When there were two it was easy to come up with a new idea.. now with 20 or so, not so much....they are just filling in the wedges between the current ideas on the pie chart of "resort types" . You can't keep expecting a new type of pie that doesn't fit in the category of "pie".

I've liked all of the Disney DVC and deluxe hotel expansions over the years and I expect I'll like this as well. As a fan of FW but not a fan of camping, I'm looking forward to the hotel.

If they go all out with theming it to "nature-inspired" and keeping with the FW theme, it would be great. The designers have done some great themed resorts and buildings. I just hope it doesn't change the peacefulness of the Bay Lake resorts with the added guests as they are increasing capacity with a brand new resort.

I hope the pool pays homage to River Country in some way.

Please, Please, Please. (I love how I came here with the link to this article copied on my clipboard only to see how you posted this almost a day before. I'll never keep up)

I suppose I am in the minority but I actually kinda like the concept art - especially the different heights to the sections and the angled roofs, and the wooded slats on the underside of the welcome coverings

it all gives me an "Urban Tree House" vibe - and I am usually one to pooh pooh these designs

Thanks, I like the idea too and am bothered by all the insta-negativity. Looking at it I think the building on the right will be the hotel, and the left will be the DVC. The irregularity of the structure makes me think this to accommodate the differences in room sizes. And hopefully that room of windows at the top is another DVC lounge for some good fireworks viewing. (although it will probably be $500 to access, just like the reunion station)

Please, Please, Please. (I love how I came here with the link to this article copied on my clipboard only to see how you posted this almost a day before. I'll never keep up)

Thanks, I like the idea too and am bothered by all the insta-negativity. Looking at it I think the building on the right will be the hotel, and the left will be the DVC. The irregularity of the structure makes me think this to accommodate the differences in room sizes. And hopefully that room of windows at the top is another DVC lounge for some good fireworks viewing. (although it will probably be $500 to access, just like the reunion station)

Since BLT went up, Fireworks views from that area have been very restricted. You get some of the high bursts and some of the wide bursts, but not much else. I think that will be a hard sell, though I have no doubt Disney will try.

Since BLT went up, Fireworks views from that area have been very restricted. You get some of the high bursts and some of the wide bursts, but not much else. I think that will be a hard sell, though I have no doubt Disney will try.

I don't know if they would ever consider doing this - but at Disneyland they have their projections on the Castle but also on It's a Small World and other places ... would be kind cool if they would play the Happily Ever After Music and did projections on something outside of the park that those at this resort could see - so even if you can't really see much of other fireworks, you get a cool experience. Maybe not everynight but as a special offering or something

I don't know if they would ever consider doing this - but at Disneyland they have their projections on the Castle but also on It's a Small World and other places ... would be kind cool if they would play the Happily Ever After Music and did projections on something outside of the park that those at this resort could see - so even if you can't really see much of other fireworks, you get a cool experience. Maybe not everynight but as a special offering or something

Actually if they did something with Space Mountain you would have great views from Poly, Contemporary, BLT, WL (maybe, BLT may be in the way), this new resort and Fort Wilderness.

Fantasmic idea!

Thanks, I like the idea too and am bothered by all the insta-negativity.

I've been camping at The Fort since I was a child so that's probably 35 yrs+ under my belt ... and I think there will be a lot of negativity coming from the camping folks due to the uncertainty of what will happen the The Settlement area. Some of the early planning drawings seemed to be showing a parking lot run right up to Pioneer Hall. While many may like the idea of just driving a car up to The Settlement, it does really take away from what made that area along Bay Lake so unique. Cars and visitors had to be parked at the Outpost and you're taking a bus or boat to get to The Settlement giving it quieter isolated feel. Progress is what it is ... but until the design is unveiled with how this new resort will be structured beside The Fort there's going to be concern that yet another unique area of WDW will be turned into a generic money farm

If they are going to do prairie style, they need to go all out and commit. No halfing it to try to appease some prtion if audience that probably wouldn't stay at this location anyways. I feel like when AKL and WL were built, they went full out with theme...they need to do that here too. And this architect firm can do that , based on their portfolio, if Disney let's them.

Yes, you can't have a prairie exterior and Ikea modern interior.
If they do end up going Prairie/art & crafts, etc, we'll be putting our plans to buy DVC Riviera on hold.. and buy into this new place instead. (Or, if I win the lottery between now and then, we'll buy both!)

I kinda think the opposite. DVC units are more monotonous, since every unit requires a balcony, there’s less flexibility on exterior design.
About the only DVC variety are possible 2 story grand villas (the middle glass section on the right side?)

Bottom line is DVC needs more rooms. Have you tried booking a room on points with the next 3 months? Even SSR and OKW are 100% booked.

They probably make more from Timeshares and hotels than from theme parks. Wonder if that was the vision Walt had when he started.
Probably not, but he was a VERY savvy business guy. If he had known the profitability of DVC, timeshares, and hotels, he would have pioneered the option.

Bottom line is DVC needs more rooms. Have you tried booking a room on points with the next 3 months? Even SSR and OKW are 100% booked.

That will always be the case. DVC is designed to be 100% occupied 365 days a year (as in the # of points sold). Any days where there are empty rooms just means people let their points go to waste. As renting points has become more mainstream, that happens less and less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!