New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Disney has four ships. Is there any other major cruise line that has so few? I was just comparing Disney in Europe versus Princess and I liked the DCL itineraries better because they are round trip. But to each their own.

Exactly the same thing I was thinking.
Carnival has 25 rccl 25 ncl 17 and celebrity and princess around 15 I’m guessing. Some of it is our fault that Disney has boring itteneraries. Disney tried Hawaii and they had to almost give the cruises away to cast members still they couldn’t fill the ship. Just like Quebec this year. You can’t blame Disney for not going back to Hawaii after what happened in 2015.

Disney has four ships. Is there any other major cruise line that has so few? I was just comparing Disney in Europe versus Princess and I liked the DCL itineraries better because they are round trip. But to each their own.
Virgin cruises. 1 with a 2nd on order

Take a look at the itineraries listed on this page:
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/
Okay, sorry. I now know that you are not talking about 'deals' as such but just a discount on the huge prices Disney charges. Even with these 'deals' Disney is often charging twice as much as other cruise lines so not much of a bargain. But yes, discounts on their prices.
Again, sorry for the confusion.

Take a look at the itineraries listed on this page:
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/

I’m not a Florida resident
I’m not from Canada
I’m not from the eea
I don’t qualify for the military discount

Not much for Americans for discounts not counting Florida or those who qualify for the military discounts.

I think it’s great they have the military discount I was in the marines for 4 years.
Just wished there was more discounts for Americans that don’t live in Florida or who qualify for the military discount

Last edited:
Exactly the same thing I was thinking.
Carnival has 25 rccl 25 ncl 17 and celebrity and princess around 15 I’m guessing. Some of it is our fault that Disney has boring itteneraries. Disney tried Hawaii and they had to almost give the cruises away to cast members still they couldn’t fill the ship. Just like Quebec this year. You can’t blame Disney for not going back to Hawaii after what happened in 2015.

The other lines mentioned have all been operating much longer than Disney Cruise Line also... They've had much more time to build up their fleets.

Maybe lack of imagination.
Disney? Lack of imagination? I doubt that. I think it is exactly what the poster below said. It's a result of fleet size. After all, they only have 4 ships currently and the other major cruise lines have many more!

This is probably a result mainly of their fleet size. Hopefully once the fleet has expanded, they will get a little more adventurous. For now, they are likely to stick with their tried and true itineraries.

Some of it is our fault that Disney has boring itteneraries. Disney tried Hawaii and they had to almost give the cruises away to cast members still they couldn’t fill the ship. Just like Quebec this year. You can’t blame Disney for not going back to Hawaii after what happened in 2015.
Were the Hawaii sailings during school time? The majority of DCL special sailings are at a time when families can't go. They are a family cruise line, so it shouldn't be surprising that cruises in September and October don't sell as well. I'd love to do different iteneraries or a Marvel cruise, but they've limited those to times when many/most families can't travel.

Were the Hawaii sailings during school time? The majority of DCL special sailings are at a time when families can't go. They are a family cruise line, so it shouldn't be surprising that cruises in September and October don't sell as well. I'd love to do different iteneraries or a Marvel cruise, but they've limited those to times when many/most families can't travel.
then it is a good thing Disney is testing Bermuda this fall, although i think it would be a better cruise during the summer, but i guess that could wait till the new ships arrive

Yes it was September. Probably the worst month since kids just went back to school. You will think thou they would of filled the ship with couples and almost giving the cruise away to cast members.

Disney? Lack of imagination? I doubt that. I think it is exactly what the poster below said. It's a result of fleet size. After all, they only have 4 ships currently and the other major cruise lines have many more!

Lack of ships has nothing to do with it Theres been plenty of times that both Magic class ships were in Fl and the Caribbean and did the exact same cruises as the Dream class does from Port Canaveral. That would have been the perfect time to try out different itins. But they didn't.

then it is a good thing Disney is testing Bermuda this fall, although i think it would be a better cruise during the summer, but i guess that could wait till the new ships arrive

IMO - Totally stupid on their part. Should be going to Bermuda in the summer. Celebrity, RCI, and NCL do the Bermuda run all summer long. Disney should have a ship out of NYC all year round! Dumb, dumb, dumb. Tens of millions of people in the NYC MSA not to mention millions more in additional surrounding states for whom driving to the port would be a possibility. Multiple ships/cruise lines sailing our of NYC year round. Disney should have better itineraries from NYC as well as longer cruises - maybe some 10 day cruises? Disney - please give NYC one of the NEW ships!

I don't think that DCL will keep a fleet of 7 ships. My guess is that they will phase out the Magic and Wonder, as they are the older ships.

I don't think that DCL will keep a fleet of 7 ships.

Interesting. I wonder if some of our maritime experts can comment on the life expectancy of a cruise ship. From my meager knowledge, I think they have a commercial life expectancy of ~40 years, but only a portion of that is with the premier cruise lines. After they've outlived their commercial viability with the from-line cruise lines they often get sold to niche market lines where they continue to sail for many more years. So, Imagine a Wonder or Magic without the Disney paint scheme and perhaps without the faux stack.

Interesting. I wonder if some of our maritime experts can comment on the life expectancy of a cruise ship. From my meager knowledge, I think they have a commercial life expectancy of ~40 years, but only a portion of that is with the premier cruise lines. After they've outlived their commercial viability with the from-line cruise lines they often get sold to niche market lines where they continue to sail for many more years. So, Imagine a Wonder or Magic without the Disney paint scheme and perhaps without the faux stack.
I think Disney might keep 7 ships considering that carnival is still using ships 8-10 years older than the Magic and Wonder, although i wouldn't mind if they expanded to maybe 10-12 ships. Sorry if some don't like this idea, it is mainly a personal agenda because there is chance prices might go down

I saw a cool Celebrity itinerary out of Cape Liberty, NJ that went up the New England coast to Halifax and was in port in Boston for 4th of July. They also have summer itineraries that do Bermuda and New England, which seems like the best of both worlds to me--start with warm beaches and end with the cooler New England weather.

I agree, I’d love to do a Bermuda and/or Canadian cruise from NY/NY vicinity in SUMMER when we can actually travel with kids and not in the fall. It’s mind-boggling why these great itineraries are when families cannot travel.

Yes it was September. Probably the worst month since kids just went back to school. You will think thou they would of filled the ship with couples and almost giving the cruise away to cast members.

This! It was September 7th and 17th and If they had done the 1st one 1 week earlier my family and my extended family would have gone. I know because we did our 1st Disney cruise on the Dream for 4 days and I was so upset about. Been stalking for Hawaiian cruise ever since and we would also do a stop off In Aulani. My ex's family too they always ask me if Disney put out a Hawaiian itinerary yet...

I’m not a Florida resident
I’m not from Canada
I’m not from the eea
I don’t qualify for the military discount

Not much for Americans for discounts not counting Florida or those who qualify for the military discounts.

I think it’s great they have the military discount I was in the marines for 4 years.
Just wished there was more discounts for Americans that don’t live in Florida or who qualify for the military discount
Sure, but my point was, you see pretty much only the Caribbean itineraries listed on that page - no Alaska or Europe or even the west coast. And when you compare the cruise prices as well, you can kind of tell you where / when they have too many ships and where the new ships should go.

The broader population gets a 'discount' through cheaper off-season prices and the freebies such as SWDAS or MDAS. Why direct the 25% discounts to EEA, Canada, etc? Maybe because those guests will splurge at the parks as well once there? Or the unfavorable exchange rates? Differences in school holidays? Perhaps an eye on where to get new customers for future ships?

The classics should last a while with the recent dry docks, but I think we can expect 3 to 4 new ships to be announced circa 2026-2030. They can then keep Magic and Wonder as 'stationary resorts' in Castaway Cay or elsewhere in the Caribbeans / Florida. Or even in a major port, like the QM1 in California.

I agree, I’d love to do a Bermuda and/or Canadian cruise from NY/NY vicinity in SUMMER when we can actually travel with kids and not in the fall. It’s mind-boggling why these great itineraries are when families cannot travel.
At the moment, they can't move Dream and Fantasy out of PC due to the contracts. And they will never be able to price a summer NY cruise with the same fat margins as they do in Alaska and Europe. Kind of unfortunate.

The new ships should provide some breathing room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!