New DCL PIF Date Rules

So how would you (and others) interpret that our PIF date is now 4 months for a cruise in fall 2021 that we booked about 2 months ago?
Traditionally the PIF date was 90 days, in line with their cancellation policy and penalties. I feel they are moving two different directions simultaneously?
I already feel the pressure for next year - 4 months ahead of time is a very long time currently. 2 months across the board would be more realistic.

We booked our Aug 2021 Alaska cruise this past spring. Since it is a 7 night cruise, its PIF is 120 days before.

When we placed our placeholder in Dec 2017 for what would become our Dec 2019 cruise, the PIF dates were 90 d for a 7d cruise. They were still 90d when we booked the actual cruise in May 2018.

By August 2019 the PIF for normal 7d cruises departing the US had been moved out to 120 d.

Not sure exactly when in that window the change took place, but I am pretty sure there is a thread somewhere on these boards about it :-)

Bottom line, the longer PIF timeframe has been around for a while. What they are doing now is shortening PIF for a certain date range of cruises because of the current situation.

SW

Thank you, for clearing that up for me. I didn't know the PIF date had been changed in 2019. Our last 7 day DCL cruise (in 2019) still had the 90 day PIF, so I was surprised.
Yes, shortening the PIF dates makes more sense, so I hope they will extend that to cruises later in 2021 as well.

We booked our Aug 2021 Alaska cruise this past spring. Since it is a 7 night cruise, its PIF is 120 days before.

When we placed our placeholder in Dec 2017 for what would become our Dec 2019 cruise, the PIF dates were 90 d for a 7d cruise. They were still 90d when we booked the actual cruise in May 2018.

By August 2019 the PIF for normal 7d cruises departing the US had been moved out to 120 d.

Not sure exactly when in that window the change took place, but I am pretty sure there is a thread somewhere on these boards about it :-)

Bottom line, the longer PIF timeframe has been around for a while. What they are doing now is shortening PIF for a certain date range of cruises because of the current situation.

SW

Thank you, for clearing that up for me. I didn't know the PIF date had been changed in 2019. Our last 7 day DCL cruise (in 2019) still had the 90 day PIF, so I was surprised.
Yes, shortening the PIF dates makes more sense, so I hope they will extend that to cruises later in 2021 as well.

Happy to be able to clarify that for you.

I also hope they extend out the shortened 60d PIF, and won't be surprised if they do. I would expect they will do it in chunked stages though, expanding it slowly outward, as they have been.

For our August 2021 cruise, I would certainly prefer 60d vs 120d, though realistically we would probably be making the decision to go or push it to 2022 by 120d out anyway. I already have no-deposit cancelable hotel reservations, all we need is airfare and I'm not willing to get that until much closer to the cruise [though normally we would be booking it soon].

SW

I wonder if the generous cancellation/refund policies mean the end of the 125% cruise credit for those who've "PIF" if additional sail dates get cancelled.

And all the false positives?
This article from Harvard says accuracy is between 63-98% depending on the test

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734
What if you get a false positive? Do they test you again?
I'm just saying there's a chance you get a positive result and not having the virus.
It'd be a crushing experience.
I understand that the tests are unreliable. One of the reasons I am not 100 % in favor of the testing before cruising is for this reason. It is all we have at this moment, and I really hope that they continue to make them more reliable for everyone’s sake. My point was that allergies or a runny nose do not make you test positive. That is all.

I wonder if the generous cancellation/refund policies mean the end of the 125% cruise credit for those who've "PIF" if additional sail dates get cancelled.
I doubt it. This isn't the first time they have made the offer to extend PIF dates.

Ugg, I have to admit, I didn’t realize this!

Categories with Restrictions
Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions remain nonrefundable and nontransferable.

However, we do buy insurance, so, if one of us tests positive I think we will get our money.

Ugg, I have to admit, I didn’t realize this!

Categories with Restrictions
Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions remain nonrefundable and nontransferable.

However, we do buy insurance, so, if one of us tests positive I think we will get our money.
I would just confirm that Covid19, pandemics or epidemics are not excluded on your policy.

While this does allow us to wait a bit longer for our 7-nighter on the Fantasy in February, it's Disney being Disney again - to be honest. Dragging their feet to do what all other major cruise lines had already done a while ago.

I hope they also bring the late reschedule time down to 48 hours that others are allowing.
Someone or many are working hard to reopen cruising at Disney. I’m thinking they have a team of worker-bees that are presenting all possible positive options to the bean-counters, stats, and insurance people. Where they all sit in same room with marketing and psychology team that deals with how the consumer will be affected by any negative press from brand failure to protect its customers.
Then they crush all the hard work of the worker-bee and we get nada. But they have reasons so I’m okay with that, not excited, but okay at least.
Disney seems to cancel before CDC so that’s a plan at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter