Never made a solo trip. Pros and cons?

iamjustscott

Earning My Ears
So I've been going to DW for as long as I can remember. There's a picture somewhere of my mom holding me in front of Cinderella's castle only a few months old. Then as a kid living only 3 hours away, we would make weekend trips to Disney pretty often. Fast forward 20 something years and I moved to Orlando and can pretty much go whenever I want (or whenever my gold pass says I can go). I work evenings and have considered rope dropping a park during the week but I really just haven't had the chutzpah or cojones to do so. Maybe it's the introvert in me. Maybe it's just I prefer going with friends and loved ones. What are some of your best reasons to make solo trips? Any reasons that would keep you from going? Thanks in advance for your responses.

I work evenings and have considered rope dropping a park during the week but I really just haven't had the chutzpah or cojones to do so.

Go for it! You'll love it. You can really spend the time to enjoy the park itself (not necessarily just the rides). Take in the sights and sounds that so many take for granted.

My last 3 trips to WDW were solo trips and I was there a week each time. Loved it!

Doing my first Solo in September and for me its the little things I'm looking forward to most. I don't have to stop for water or the bathroom after every ride, can go as fast or as slow as i want in gift shops. Can jump from place to place depending on what i feel like doing and did i mention I don't have to stop for the bathroom after every single ride.

You will love solo trips. You get to be on your own schedule. You really don't feel like you are alone. Lots of CM to talk to.

Solo trips are very fun. You can do what you want when you want to do it. Servers at TS restaurants are lovely. You can use the single rider line where available.

What are some of your best reasons to make solo trips? Any reasons that would keep you from going?
I can't think of even one reason that would keep me from going solo. To the point that on my last trip (Jan 2018) with two good friends who both love Disney I felt a longing to be alone several times.

However, if you're an introvert and prefer going with friends and loved ones you may find it difficult. One of the friends I went with is like you; lives minutes from Disneyland, has an AP but just doesn't feel comfortable going alone. But is sure won't hurt to try. Head over at rope drop one day. Keep in mind that the moment you feel uncomfortable you can (and should) leave. Nothing at all wrong about preferring to be there with others.

Try this...... Rope drop AK to ride FoP. Then walk a jungle trail and after that enjoy something to eat. If it doesn’t feel right after a couple hours you can always leave and drive home. Nothing to loose.

@iamjustscott The fact that you live in Orlando is awesome! You don't even need to go through the hurdles of making the decision to book your own flight ticket, reserve a hotel room, and pack a suitcase. With your annual pass, I would treat Disney World as a place you could drop into whenever you feel like killing an hour or two. Even if it's just to check out a few rides, do your shopping, grab some food, or even to take a scenic walk for exercise. I wouldn't even consider your visits a "solo trip" any more than going to the mall or having a meal on your own.

Fast forward 20 something years and I moved to Orlando and can pretty much go whenever I want (or whenever my gold pass says I can go). I work evenings and have considered rope dropping a park during the week but I really just haven't had the chutzpah or cojones to do so. Maybe it's the introvert in me.
First, :welcome: to DISboards!

Another introvert here. I find rope drops are a great time to visit WDW. I just did three solo rope drops last week, MK, AK, and Epcot. DW and I are Disney snowbirds but I always head south for a couple of days mid summer to check on our place. And get in a couple Disney visits. It gives me the opportunity to visit a few attractions that DW doesn't enjoy. I can also wander around and explore corners that we don't normally visit during our "winter walks enhanced by Disney".

Rope drops are a quieter time and less stressful for us introverts. I usually keep to myself though a couple of times I have had nice conversations with those in line next to me. And I always have a smile and a greeting for the Cast Members.

I typically make a couple of FPs and then prioritize a sequence of rope drop attractions. It is pretty amazing how much you can do if you can be a bit early to rope drop and near the front of the crowd. I was at AK at 7:30am for a 9 am opening a week ago Friday. I rope dropped FoP, then headed to Navi River, It's Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, and then FP'd the Safari. I was off the Safari at 10:40am. Then I strolled over to the Flametree for an early lunch. I relaxed down by the water and listened to the screams coming from Everest. It was a good morning at Disney!

So pick your favorite park and be there for rope drop. I predict you will have a great time!

One thing I've really enjoyed being a solo is being a "helper" to others. I remember one day, a little boy was telling Mommy "I have to go to the bathroom NOW" and she was looking around frantically. I went over and pointed out the nearest restroom, and everyone felt better.

Pros - get up when you want, eat where you want, see what you want - all on your own schedule.
Cons - I love people watching so dining alone was never an issue for me, but I can see where it might be for some.

My first couple of trips to Disney were with people. I had to wait on them a lot and we moved slower trying to corral everyone. It was fun. However, When I went solo, I could move at my own pace, do what I wanted and not have to answer to anyone. It was awesome! I think I prefer going solo now

I love solo trips. I go at least once a year solo and at least once a year with my grown son. I enjoy both trips but my solo trips are my favorite. I can get out bed when I want to get out of bed, he tends to sleep later than me and I like to get up early and go for a walk. I can usually sneak out of the room and not wake him but when I come back I need a shower and that tends to wake him. I love to go to the shows, he hates them. He has nerve damage in his spine and can't ride certain rides so I ride them when I'm solo. I like to sit on my balcony in the mornings and evening and just chill, him not so much. It's just two different trips, both I enjoy but I cherish my solo trips.

I am looking forward to my first solo trip in October - no one complaining that I am getting them up too early, no compromising on anything. Exciting.

Pros - everything you want to do, no one else to coordinate and schedule. You can get up early or stay out late or both! So much I have found I love when I don't have to compromise for others. Also, I like to splurge a little and that bothers my traveling companions - so dessert parties and fancy meals for me!

Cons - I can't think of one. I thought I'd say no one to talk to - but I meet the most interesting people when I'm traveling solo because I get out of my group!

Pros:
Being able to tour at your own pace, whether it's fast, slow, or somewhere in between
Not having to deal with sour moods
Not having to do things you don't want to do, like rides you don't care about
Not having to wait for others to use the bathroom/shop when you aren't
Less expensive as a whole, though the per-person goes up
Dining takes a lot less time, table service can be as fast as quick service

Cons:
Not having someone to split the resort cost with
Not having someone there to share memories with
Some people don't like dining alone, but I don't mind it

I'm able to get over the two cons by saving more diligently and honestly just by being an introvert. I like my alone time. I don't mind having great memories I only have myself because I have great friends and family who will happily hear all about it later. Also, I luckily have some friends in Orlando that I can meet up with here and there, so I won't be solo the whole time. I've also been lucky enough to make friends at the parks, even if only for a half hour. Solo travel in general is wonderful, but at Disney, it's pretty freaking fantastic. :)

I did this in my 20s and had a blast. Later in my 30s I did it again and ended up coming home early. I think the mystery of traveling alone for the first time made the trip in my 20s more fun. The second trip just felt really lonely :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter