Netflix Passes Disney Becoming a More Valuable Media Stock

I guess we see now why Disney is keen on making their own Streaming platform.
Remove all the Disney movies and Shows from Netflix and add some original content -- you may get people to jump ship. The less "all inclusive" content Netflix has the less valuable it becomes (and more expensive for the consumer who will have to subscribe to multiple streaming services to "see it all").

I have no idea why...I am getting tired of Netflix and that is my only pay service right now.

Most of their own movies are 3* at best. They have some decent series but nothing great outside of Stranger Things. If it weren't for the mass amount of content for the kids we would be duping it.

I believe that we will be switching to the Disney service once its offered.

I have no idea why...I am getting tired of Netflix and that is my only pay service right now.

Most of their own movies are 3* at best. They have some decent series but nothing great outside of Stranger Things. If it weren't for the mass amount of content for the kids we would be duping it.

I honestly don’t watch a lot of Netflix’s own content. I do love stranger things and was a big house of cards fan but that is ending. Depending on everything Disney has I could see the same happening to us.

I binge watch a lot of the newer stuff once it's released, but then I go through long periods where I rarely stream any Netflix. I get a ton more use out of my DVD . com(Netflix owned) Bluray mail service. I just get concerned that the discs by mail service will eventually go away ... that's still the best way to watch a lot new movies in a high quality format instead of what's just offered via streaming.

You got to remember Netflix is also pumping a huge ton of Cash out to make its own content. Way more then Amazon or Hulu, if Disney is successful in peeling off customers with there platform of IPs and if they acquire Fox which has a large share in Hulu. You could see Netflix become strapped for Cash in the future. Right now Netflix is all high up on the Hog but because of its aggressive spending tactics it could fall hard if Disney is able to disrupt the market share

The Marvel Netflix series are awesome (well, except Iron Fist... but 4/5 ain't bad). We also watch Santa Clarita Diet, I watch the new Voltron, my wife enjoys a good number of other shows, and my daughter watches more than either of us, the number of Netflix exclusive kids shows is crazy.

It’s just not NFLX’s success, is DIS’s failure.

DIS stock has been doing nothing for the last 2 years. It is currently #7 on the worst performing DOW stocks for the last 12 months. The recent theatrical successes couldn’t even move the stock. The stock has been so bad that stockholders voted down a compensation package for Iger. Parks and Studios are doing good, but they are overshadowed by Media and Consumer Products performance.

If DIS stock price was $10 higher, they would still be ahead of NFLX.

Comcast is only 7B away from Disney.

This is baffling to me because in my eyes Netflix isn’t that big or that great. Only original I ever watched on the service were the marvel shows, and I canceled my subscription last year. Ended up getting my buddy’s password but still never use it

It’s just not NFLX’s success, is DIS’s failure.

DIS stock has been doing nothing for the last 2 years. It is currently #7 on the worst performing DOW stocks for the last 12 months. The recent theatrical successes couldn’t even move the stock. The stock has been so bad that stockholders voted down a compensation package for Iger. Parks and Studios are doing good, but they are overshadowed by Media and Consumer Products performance.

If DIS stock price was $10 higher, they would still be ahead of NFLX.

Comcast is only 7B away from Disney.

ESPN is really holding Disney down. If Black Panther and Avengers did that great and Netflix still passes, something is seriously wrong. Of course I realize that there is more to movies but Disney’s gotta figure something out with ESPN

ESPN is really holding Disney down. If Black Panther and Avengers did that great and Netflix still passes, something is seriously wrong. Of course I realize that there is more to movies but Disney’s gotta figure something out with ESPN
Which they are trying with ESPN+

This is baffling to me because in my eyes Netflix isn’t that big or that great. Only original I ever watched on the service were the marvel shows, and I canceled my subscription last year. Ended up getting my buddy’s password but still never use it
Netflix isn’t small. Heck thy just signed the Obama’s to produce content. Disney is also trying to create their own Netflix type product so Netflix must be doing something right.

Which they are trying with ESPN+

Yeah but I just don’t that will be enough. I tried the free trial and it just doesn’t seem like it will be enough. There is a lot of great content but not enough for me to pay that much for. I love baseball, hockey, and football, so maybe if there is more content for those 3 sports, I will look into it

Netflix has a done a lot worldwide so much of there content is not even targeting an American audience. Also the reason it is so highly valued is Wall Street loves that is has subscribers. While Disney’s is on an unbelievable hot streak with their movies I think investors feel much more comfortable with a company that has
people all over the world subscribing to there service. If Disney has few movies that perform badly that can really hurt them meanwhile people just keep handing their money to Netflix every month.

Also I think Netflix has great documentaries like The Keepers and Wild Wild Country.

Yeah but I just don’t that will be enough. I tried the free trial and it just doesn’t seem like it will be enough. There is a lot of great content but not enough for me to pay that much for. I love baseball, hockey, and football, so maybe if there is more content for those 3 sports, I will look into it
It’s just the beginning. ESPN+ will be expanding its content. I for one still have cable so it’s not necessary for me to get ESPN+.

I just cancelled... Stranger Things is the one thing I really look forward to. But this fall I can simply login to someone else's account and watch just that... the price went up again and I realized we were only using it maybe once a week if that. And half the time "using" it meant scrolling through it for 10 minutes and then not being able to choose anything interesting and just going to bed.

It’s just the beginning. ESPN+ will be expanding its content. I for one still have cable so it’s not necessary for me to get ESPN+.
Isn’t ESPN + going to have (former ESPN3/WatchESPN) content that the cable packages wont show?

It sounds like I will need ESPN+ for my college’s basketball games next fall (instead of WatchESPN last year), This may actually drive me to drop my satellite ESPN subscription and only get ESPN+

Based on some Missouri Valley Conference announcements, it sounds like previous streaming-only Watch ESPN/ESPN3 content will now require ESPN+ instead of a cable ESPN subscription...which may drive me to drop my satellite ESPN to get ESPN+ instead.

Oops, my browser crashed while posting, but it looks like both messages posted.

Last edited:
Isn’t ESPN + going to have (former ESPN3/WatchESPN) content that the cable packages wont show?

It sounds like I will need ESPN+ for my college’s basketball games next fall (instead of WatchESPN last year), This may actually drive me to drop my satellite ESPN subscription and only get ESPN+
Yes it will and they have already signed a deal with the UFC for next year.

We absolutely love Netflix in our household. Yet I'm still surprised at how well they're doing, only because most of the people we know still have and love cable. Most of the people around our age have and enjoy Netflix, but when we consider coworkers and family as well, it just seems like Netflix is still seen as "less than".

We're big fans of their original content. It doesn't hurt that the subscription price is crazy cheap for all the content that they offer. We like Amazon Prime because we're big Amazon shoppers, but Prime Video is just the worst for us, both in terms of offerings and original content. Hulu's setup isn't great either but we use my sister's account, so we really can't complain. Netflix is by far our favorite streaming service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter