My parents are so naive.

You can't. Period. You have to plan this trip with the idea that you can only do so much and accept the time limitations. Definitely not worth stressing over. Do what they can handle and plan a more extensive trip for another time.

The unfortunate thing about WDW as opposed to Disneyland is you have to depend on their transportation from park to park -- and that can be the time consumer. You could lose one to two hours with transport alone. Even if you drive from park to park, you still have to wait for the parking lot shuttle, or walk a long distance. I do hope your plans can be worked out to suit everyone as it sounds like a lovely idea to make a family trip.

You could try surprising them with airline tickets.

I speak from experience -- if the mother doesn't like or want to fly, surprising her with airline tickets may not go over well. And once bought, you're stuck with them. I have come to hate flying -- fear of height aside, I still have managed to fly all over the world, but I no longer enjoy the whole experience from security to waiting to crammed airline seats and rude passengers. I'm "up there in age" (64-3/4 ;)) and we are driving from the Philadelphia area to Miami next year and making a road trip -- just because I don't want to fly or pay for all the extras. But that is most definitely a personal choice and would not be suitable for some.

On such a short trip as you are planning though, flying would most certainly be your best option all around. Good luck. :grouphug:

And it doesn't help when it's going to be a short trip. They can't do a whole week. And add on top of that is that they insist on driving again. (All the way from Indianapolis aaaaand there goes two days out of the trip). So all in all, I can't see us doing more than 3 days on their schedule. My mom even said one time that we can just go down there for a weekend. o_O WDW? A 2-day experience??? :rotfl2:

They don't even know when to go yet...
Keep an open mind. This can be a great trip. Here's why:

1. It doesn't even sound that last-minute, as dates haven't been chosen yet. I would stick with February, which is still a ways away, rather than this fall, which will be a madhouse. You'd still be able to do 60+ FP & possibly even 6 month-out ADRs, if you go in February. February won't be low crowd, but it will be much lower than fall crowds. Just steer clear of Presidents Day weekend.

2. You actually can have a good last-minute trip at WDW if you don't have to do everything. Skip Pandora and the new Toy Story land. Focus on the classic attractions. ADRs can be gotten last-minute quite readily, as a lot of people cancel ressies during the last few days before a trip, and especially the night before. Touring Plans reservation finder helps a lot.

3. Short trips to WDW can be great- we've done a few and have loved them. We have a 3-day trip coming up later this month, and it's going to be great. We're not going to try to do everything (that's exhausting, anyway), just the things we really like. We're going to enjoy our resort & Stormalong Bay, go to Blizzard Beach, MNSSHP, see the new Toy Story land and Pandora for the first time, and that will be plenty for us.

So basically, the trip will be what you make it. My strongest piece of advice is to not go in the fall, as that is now the most crowded season at WDW, and it tends to be when the WDW veterans go, which makes the experience even more competetive.

Your parents sound a bit like mine. Very old school, family is everything (I assume since they are willing to cut their vacation short to watch your sisters kids.), and frugal with their spending. My parents also simply could not wrap their minds around all the planing required for fast passes, adr's and hotel reservations. In addition, my Dad about had a stroke when I let him know that we had to buy tickets upfront in advance and not at the gate in order to book fast passes...So as the Disney planner in my family I so relate to your pain!

My suggestion is to take a deep breath and relax. Accept that this trip is not going to be one you might consider a success but their idea of a successful Disney trip is likely vastly different then yours. My two cents is to suggest you drop Disney Springs for a three day trip, as you have enough on your plate with the parks, unless your parents have requested to go to DS.

I know you said you compromised with an on site stay since it's a short stay. I would suggest, since your parents appear to be more budget conscious, to book an off site condo not too far away. For example, Bonnet Creek, Windsor Hills or Sheraton Vistana. Since you have a car odds are it will be just as quick if not faster than relying on Disney transportation to and from the parks. Maybe not MK if your staying on the monorail loop but if your staying at a mod or value it's about the same in transportation time when you factor in waiting for buses or even driving yourself. In addition, Disney now does charge for parking at their resorts. If you stay off site you have to pay to park at the parks so that is sort of a wash with price. Also, since you mentioned not doing ADR's and table service having a full kitchen could dramatically cut cost by preparing some meals in the condo. This can also be a huge time saver in the morning if you don't have to go out, even at a food court, for breakfast. Heck when we do offsite condos I often bring my crock pot with us and start a meal before we leave for the park. Then when we return presto dinner or a late lunch is done. Huge time and cost saver. This is not my preferred way to vacation at WDW but with my parents in tow and heck even when we're watching our budget we make this work. It lifts a lot of stress for my parents. Also, it's very nice to have a separate room to escape to when I need a break!

Relax about the fast passes since until you have travel dates you can't do anything about them. Once the dates are firm I would buy tickets and accept that your going to get what is available. Also, you may find that your parents will be happier with easier to get fast passes like shows vrs FOP and Slinky dog coaster.

Also, I don't know the ages of your sisters kids and if this is even doable but have you considered the possibility of waiting until Feb or March and the possibility of taking sisters kids with you guys. If your driving there is no extra transportation cost to take the kids. If you do an off site condo you would have extra room and probably at less cost then and on site stay for the three of you. Tickets would be more as there is no getting around that.

Finally, as someone who lives in Florida I can tell you that October has become a very busy time in the parks. It really is not much better then February (avoid Presidents Day weekend) or early March. At this point I would suggest waiting and booking the later dates if possible. I would avoid the last week of March as many school are on Spring break here in March but the last week of March this year has a great deal of districts out that week.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to take a deep breath and relax. Accept that this trip is not going to be one you might consider a success but their idea of a successful Disney trip is likely vastly different then yours.
This is the most difficult for any adult child to grasp. It took me years. As I got older I changed with the times yet my parents didn't.

Another thing that's difficult for a young adult to grasp is those getting on in age parents will soon not be able to travel at all and far too soon won't be around. I know I didn't fully appreciate those facts of life until much later in life. Excellent advice, Macprincess! I hope toonaspie takes all this advice and makes a little trip her parents will enjoy even if it isn't her perfect trip.

This is the most difficult for any adult child to grasp. It took me years. As I got older I changed with the times yet my parents didn't.

Another thing that's difficult for a young adult to grasp is those getting on in age parents will soon not be able to travel at all and far too soon won't be around. I know I didn't fully appreciate those facts of life until much later in life. Excellent advice, Macprincess! I hope toonaspie takes all this advice and makes a little trip her parents will enjoy even if it isn't her perfect trip.

This is a shocking realization to me -- after being the caregiver for my mother who died at 90, I find myself suddenly in the position of being the one that my 30-year-old daughter has to have patience with when traveling, us being slower, etc. When did THAT suddenly happen! o_O

We live in Indy too, and know that drive well. Yes, flying is faster, but we've driven more than we've flown to Disney...it doesn't make or break the vacation if you don't let it.

As for the difference in planning the trip that you would plan versus the trip that you can plan with all of these factors...
Pick 2-3 "have-to" things for each of you, and everything else is extra.

We've done a couple days with each of our parents (DH & my parents are divorced and remarried so it's 4 sets of parents). All of the experiences were different, but we planned with each parent in mind and went from there. We were surprised at how much more than we had planned one set was able to do...and had to down shift some plans for another set once we saw the pace was too much for them...but they all had a good time.

We did 2-3 parks with most of them over the 2.5 days we had with each set...but with my dad (his trip is actually this fall) we're only doing MK. He's never been before and you could spend days just at MK and still not see everything. For him, we're better off just sticking with MK so he gets some familiarity with the park and can start to take in a little of the magic we see in the smaller details. This will also take some of the pressure off trying to be on the go 18 hours a day...he needs to sleep...and this way he can (we can sleep when we get home ;)).

Good luck as you're planning. Try to take a deep breath...as others have said, your perspective and attitude will set the tone...the magic will happen if you let it!

I haven't read all of the responses ...
But, seriously, take a deep breath. You are getting anxious and pre-ruining what could be a wonderful vacation.

I plan ... ever year we go for Christmas, the busiest week of the year ... I know where I am staying at least nine months in advanced, where I am eating exactly 180 days in advanced, FP will be done soon ...

But guess what ... last year we decided last minute to DRIVE to Florida (we always fly) for the 4th of July week (another busy time) at the last minute. We have a four day different park each day pass. And nothing horrible happened. We didn't starve, we managed to eat at most of our favorite restaurants on last minute ADRs. We didn't stand around and not get to ride any rides ... we rode FOP, 7DMT, Soarin', Test Track, etc. some we had FP for, some we *gasp* waited in line for, and some we rope dropped for. I have three kids. I also travel with my parents a lot. The kids are a heck of a lot more unpredictable than my parents.

Less is going to equal more.
Do only ONE each day you go into the parks. Get whatever FP you can. Ride the train. Watch the shows. Eat long leisurely meals at great sitdowns.
Hang out at the pool. Order the expensive, watered-down drinks from the pool bar...they will be cold and still taste great.
Make memories, and enjoy the time you have with the folks.

Okay, I am willing to admit that I came off as sounding a bit harsh in regards to my parents which was not the case from the beginning of this thread. My concern was the lack of time we would have there (in conjunction w/expected crowds) as we clearly are not capable of going to WDW every year like some can (for both time and money reasons). Thank you to all those that mean well. My biggest stress came from worrying over FP and hotel booking deadlines.

But I have some good news to report: in the past couple of days, my dad and I have been working out the plans for the trip hardcore. And he's made some surprising changes to the plan (of his own accord). We are going to fly instead of drive after all. I suspect that he knew that driving would take too much time away from everyone involved. So we're gonna do a morning flight on day 1 and a late flight on day 4 home. The plane tickets have now been booked. We hope to book everything else tomorrow. We are now going late September instead of late October, which hopefully means less crowds. I know this means we've missed our FP booking window. However I'm not that concerned. I will be relying on MDE hardcore and hoping that the thinner Sept crowds will help us out.

Our biggest concern in the end is apparently going to be money. :p Doing all I can to help. Parents are excited about the trip so that has given me drive and optimism.

Glad you are flying instead of driving. Driving can take a lot out of a person and when you arrive you are just tired and not park-ready.

Even if you have 4 park days don't waste time park hopping a lot, just plan it when needed. For example MK is usually less crowded on a day when a Halloween Party is scheduled, so go to MK during the day and then maybe to Epcot at night for Food & Wine or dinner and maybe Illuminations.

Choose what parks they want to see, what rides, shows, restaurants, and experiences that would appeal to them based on their interests and touring style. Some older folks can still be on the go, others want to slow down and just take in the Disney vibe with a few rides and shows. You might just want to concentrate on MK and Epcot and try to do those more in depth, it's the little details that make Disney so magical, and those can be missed if rushing through.

Make a list for yourself for each of those parks for A, B, and C attractions. A is must experience (and keep this list short for each park), B is would be nice to experience, C is we will keep these extras in mind if we have the time. We got my mom through three parks at age 80 on her first and only trip, keeping the trip at her pace and not ours, using this A, B, C list. Yes, we did miss some things, but she had a fabulous time and talked about that trip for years. We are so glad we got to experience our favorite place with her!

Okay, I am willing to admit that I came off as sounding a bit harsh in regards to my parents which was not the case from the beginning of this thread. My concern was the lack of time we would have there (in conjunction w/expected crowds) as we clearly are not capable of going to WDW every year like some can (for both time and money reasons). Thank you to all those that mean well. My biggest stress came from worrying over FP and hotel booking deadlines.

But I have some good news to report: in the past couple of days, my dad and I have been working out the plans for the trip hardcore. And he's made some surprising changes to the plan (of his own accord). We are going to fly instead of drive after all. I suspect that he knew that driving would take too much time away from everyone involved. So we're gonna do a morning flight on day 1 and a late flight on day 4 home. The plane tickets have now been booked. We hope to book everything else tomorrow. We are now going late September instead of late October, which hopefully means less crowds. I know this means we've missed our FP booking window. However I'm not that concerned. I will be relying on MDE hardcore and hoping that the thinner Sept crowds will help us out.

Our biggest concern in the end is apparently going to be money. :p Doing all I can to help. Parents are excited about the trip so that has given me drive and optimism.

That's great news for you. I am glad your parents are working with you to make it a great vacation. You'll have a blast I'm sure!

I loved the message about seeing the trip as a gift to your parents. It does not sound like you were not planning to go anyway, so they didn't hijack your trip. Just plan to use all your skills and love to give them a wonderful weekend with you. Yes it has changed immensely since they were there last and you can't do as much at the last minute as you could squeeze in if it was all tightly planned, but there is so much now there that they can enjoy if the object is not to ride as many rides as they can in the shortest time possible.

I own DVC, am 71 and have gone multiple times a year for over 20 years. I have learned to love all the different faces of WDW. I started taking my now 12 y/o DGD just the two of us when she was 2 1/2. Those trips consisted of Fantasyland rides, pool time, and fast meals. AS she grew older more rides came into the picture until we were going commando - with a lot of pool time. No more diapers and no more naps. Now we focus on favorite rides and time for her to text friends and do a LOT of shopping. Plus we eat at all our favorite signature restaurants.

Other times I have taken friends and family of all ages. I count those trips as challenges to find for them the trip that most makes them happy.... Disney Springs for some, coasters for others. Some at rope drop. Others at closing the parks and riding the best rides late at night. I have taken tours, ridden speedboats, done monorail tours and played golf as well as done tea parties and breakfast with Cinderella.

It sounds like you know what you are doing i planning so I would suggest you challenge yourself to providing a lovely last minute short trip for your parents. Work to make it their best trip and one you can enjoy as well.They will not miss what they do not know is there. It can be such fun to pick out the animals carved on the Tree of Life and have small plates at the lounge in Pandora - a great place to just wander. Watching the kids learn to be pirates is really fun if you are not in a hurry. So can the flower and qarden festival or riding the monorail visiting resorts. Ride the carrousel and visit the Haunted Mansion and watch the shows.... Don't worry - the best part of their trip will be just being there with YOU!

Congrats, you have reached adulthood and from the looks of it are now able to gently advise your parents. It is great to hear that the dates have been set and plans are in the works...enjoy every second with them and I wish you the BEST trip ever!!

My mother isn't old by any means (mid 50s), but when we were at Disneyland she had some mobility and medical issues. I made the trip about her and her wants and her abilities. We planned for the day to be slow and even to leave early if she couldn't tolerate it anymore. This was her first visit, and likely only, to Disneyland and I wanted it to be about her. She ended up having a good few days and didn't end up getting a migraine or having her back tweaked and I am proud to say I think it had to do partially with my planning. No 3D shows, no thrill rides, no jerky rides, plenty of time to sit and relax, strolling instead of slogging. Because I made it about her and not me we made great memories and now she is coming in February for Disney World. Again, it will be about her and not me.

Being a planner, I get your frustration. If you are able to pay for the flights as a gift, you can win yourself some time and maybe fit in a bit more. Also, if you can do it without being disrespectful I would discuss that not planning will result in whatever trip they get and you should not be blamed. I find some people (of any age) are simply ignorant about the planning. I have had 20 somethings tell me they hate Disneyworld because "the lines are long, you can't fit in all the rides in a day, they have a census limit, the restaurants don't have any availability, etc" because they didn't plan. at. all. When I told my mom we should settle on dates to make restaurant reservations 180 days ahead he was honestly shocked, but she now gets it.

Compare this to when parents over plan their kids and everyone ends up crying and angry by the end of the day when they could have planned less and enjoyed more.

Last edited:
Dh and I and I are 54 and 49 respectively. We may be the age of your parents, I don't know. But we still take his Mom and my Parents every other year..76, 75 and 80. So age is relative until you give us the age range, IMO. If they are our age, 50s-60s then the tech aspect isn't beyond their grasp and you should just be able to explain that things have changed and you have to go with a plan approach to get most things done...need to kinda know park hours, which park, which days and uses of their FPs. They will likely be into shows and less thrilling rides...the old staples in fantasy land and one or two elsewhere. As far as driving two days...well that presents a whole other set of issues that you can deal with one of two ways...pay for your own flight or ride with them.

If they are my parents age...which I doubt because the "tone" of your post, sounds on the mid 20ish side to me( although 2007 CP may make you 30ish)...but the internet makes assumptions sometimes. You have to plan according to what they can physically do...a lot. My Mom has the most physical limitations that the other two, though her pride will not let it show much. So I base my trips with them on them...period. They raised me to cherish these years with them and DH and I are a little slower paced as well. We focus on rides my Mom can do safely and eating out...which they love. It is about the time with us and getting away from the "norm" at home. Anything we do is amazing to them and they usually have a fantastic time. MIL got a little overheated once and my parents had some gastric issues but you get the drift. Dad caught a cold at the end of their last trip with us...as did I.

MIL loves to fly and we love to fly as well. However, my parents do not. They prefer driving due to expense and anxiety of TSA, etc. They just have always lived that way. So our last trip with them we drove down. I had leased a new Cadillac and they were in hog heaven. I make dam sure to treat them like a king and queen when we go. In fact if it weren't for them, I would not be the adult I am today.

I can remember being the person you are and dreading the time it took to travel with them in my 20s...kinda on the cheap side, using a paper map, taking a cooler of food and stopping at the rest area on the way to eat lunch... GEEZ folks can't we just get a burger. It is the gen gap today like it was then...but looking back it was fantastic and those memories are priceless.

It is like I tell the younger patients I treat...at 18 your parents are stupid and don't know anything, and certainly don't know you enough to be giving you their advice

at 23....eh, Mom makes a little more sense but you have to be careful with her "old school" advice and tweak it a bit. Dad is reaching retirement and is well, good ole dad and still is good to ask about money issues.

at 35...Mom is a bit of whimsy and magical and you see her as a oracle of sorts...dad is great and loves to drink a beer with you and reminisce.

at 45...Mom is a wise wise woman who knew you the best all along and just smiles when you ask her questions and is noted for her honesty, loyalty and love. Dad sleeps more in his chair when you visit but is very interested in where you are, the successes you have had and enjoys going anywhere with you to get out of the house.

Please don't loose patience in helping them plan...do it with a glad heart, knowing they won't be there all the time. My FIL had his last trip with us to WDW in 2004, with Cancer and a scooter in tow it was all about him. It was perfect, fantastic, slow and enjoyable. We have a pic of DH and his brother, in sunglasses on either side of the scooter and as his security agents, guarding the surrounding two feet of space and protecting the ankles of others.

Relax, find the joy in planning with them and laughing to yourself when they say and think they can "do stuff" that you know isn't possible. Some of this relaxing comes with age and looking back. You won't be disappointed.

And like PP feel free to ignore my advice...most 30 year olds do...LOL!

Good advice but I have to ask - did your father rob the cradle so to speak? LOl. Mom and dad seem 20 years apart from each other in your examples.

I plan (early 50s) to out walk my DH, DD and DSiL on this trip!

I know this will fall of deaf ears...

Go for a weekend with your parents. Do what you can and don't think about everything you cant do. Enjoy your time with them. You can't possibly understand this now, but there will come a time when they are not around and will will wish for one, short weekend trip to Disney world with them.

So what if it's busy? Do what you can. If you get on two rides, enjoy those two rides!
So what if you can't get the best out of each park? Enjoy one day at Animal Kingdom which they have never seen and one day at the Magic Kingdom reliving old memories of when you were younger.
So what if they want to spend a good part of the day relaxing in the room? They're getting up in age, they will love being with you even if it's sitting by the pool or in the room. It will be a wonderful memory for them.

I know “StageTek” has already been quoted a few times, but I wanted to quote them again, just in case it was missed. What they wrote is so true and needs to be remembered.

We went to WDW for the first time three years ago. We went for three days. I thought we had done some planning by buying a book at Barnes and Noble and flipping through it when I felt like it. I made our ADR when I realized we were within our window of opportunity, but definitely not at the first minute of my 180 mark. Same with our FP’s. We had an absolutely perfect trip. Perfect. We were together. We were at Disney. It was perfect. It was so perfect we did it again last year and are going for our third time in five months. I share all that because you don’t have to plan every minute to have a wonderful time at Disney. All we had planned was our table service meal and our FP for the day. Some of our favorite moments were unplanned and unexpected. We had a ball watching street performers that popped up right in front of us. My son was chosen to dance on the red carpet with one of them. There were just so many amazing moments and none of them were planned. Just let your parents marvel at all that is Disney. If they are hot, tired, or done with the crowds, slip into a store, go to one of the less popular shows for a break, or just find a bench and people watch. Don’t think about all the things they “have to do” because it’s Disney and they’ll regret it if they don’t. If they don’t even know about it, they won’t miss it. I know we missed a ton of stuff. I know we did. None of us cared because all of what we saw and did was amazing.

I lost my dad four years ago. I would give anything to walk through any of the parks with him and my mom. He would have loved just looking at the beauty that makes Disney so special. I would have loved just seeing the joy on his face.

Just go and enjoy the time with your parents. Don’t worry about doing everything. I would visit with your parents and find out what their top three things are and focus on that. Everything else is just a bonus.

I think too often we worry about trying to make things perfect, then we lose the chance to just live in the moment and find joy in the little, unexpected things.

I think you are overthinking this. The number one rule about Disney vacations is to accept the fact that you can't do it all in one trip. I don't know what your parents would enjoy but I know that my 73 yo mother would be perfectly happy with the streetmosphere, the shows and lingering over meals with family.

Less is going to equal more.
Do only ONE each day you go into the parks. Get whatever FP you can. Ride the train. Watch the shows. Eat long leisurely meals at great sitdowns.
Hang out at the pool. Order the expensive, watered-down drinks from the pool bar...they will be cold and still taste great.
Make memories, and enjoy the time you have with the folks.

I agree.

I saw your Dad has agreed to fly, and that is a good thing, especially given that you can now have transportation to and from the airport, do not have to worry about parking fees at your resort, and you can hand the driving to someone else and just focus on your parents.

I am not a young one, however I thought about this from a daughter's POV. There are times when you receive an unexpected gift of time with your parents, and I think this is one of them. My family never hard core tours, and if anyone analyzed the "value" of our park tickets vs what we pay for them, they would be shocked. We simply are not all that into many of the attractions, and we enjoy the "scenery" so much more.

I would not park hop. I think it is way too much time lost for not too much satisfaction. I would plan my parks as best I could "on the fly" as you may need to do, and then just enjoy what you all get to. Frankly, if your parents are near my age the attractions they will enjoy the most will likely have the least interest to most others. The classics: Carousel of Progress, People Mover. Go to the shows. Lion King, Nemo, and if you get to DHS, perhaps Beauty and the Beast. Look at the attractions that fit a lot of folks in at one time: Philharmagic.
In Epcot, stroll the World Showcase, enjoy the entertainment, snack around the World.

In MK, spend time just admiring the architecture, the details, and immerse yourselves in the magic.

I would skip DHS and go to one of the other parks twice, personally but they might like this pretty park for all of the same reasons I love it. It is so detailed, and so darn pretty.

September is going to be hot. You may need to plan to go back to a resort to cool off. If you want, head over to the Grand Floridian late afternoon and relax in that magnificent lobby while listening to the Grand Pianist entertain, or maybe after 5 when the Grand Orchestra takes over. Pure delight!

I also would skip Disney Springs. It is a huge shopping and dining center. And I mean HUGE> I would not waste one second of a short trip there.

Remember your parents will not know what they missed, so they will not care. They want to spend the time with you, so look at it that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter