My parents are so naive.

toonaspie

Just a poser
It's been more than 20 years since my parents last went to WDW (this was before Animal Kingdom opened). They last drove to Florida to drop me off and pick me up for the WDW College Program around 2007-2008. We didn't visit parks during that time.

Now my parents want us to do a (short) last-minute trip.

This is frustrating for a number of reasons but the biggest being is that they don't get how much WDW has changed since they last went there. You can no longer just drive down and show up. You have to plan everything ahead of time.

And it doesn't help when it's going to be a short trip. They can't do a whole week. And add on top of that is that they insist on driving again. (All the way from Indianapolis aaaaand there goes two days out of the trip). So all in all, I can't see us doing more than 3 days on their schedule. My mom even said one time that we can just go down there for a weekend. o_O WDW? A 2-day experience??? :rotfl2:

They don't even know when to go yet. The most I was able to convince them was that our previous visits of Feb/March were no longer a good time to go (crowd wise). This will likely be something in late Sept/Oct but even that time period is going to have their busy (unpredictable) spots and chances are very likely that we'll miss our FP+ res window by the time we've settled on dates. Not to mention potential storms that could occur.

It's all frustrating to say the least and I'm likely gonna be in charge of planning because of all the tech involved. I'm past the point we're I've accepted that we're not gonna do everything I want to do there obviously. But how we can get the most/best out of 4 parks AND Disney Springs in only 3 days is the real trick question here. My parents are up there in age so there's not much they'll be able to do anyway and if it's too hot when we go then that creates more problems. And then there's the dreaded crowds and the pricing of well...everything! I feel like there's no relief to be found to even things out here.

I've written this to mostly vent but any additional advice is always appreciated. This is still the planning stages and everything's subjected to change.

As with all advice, feel free to ignore this, but here's my two cents:

You said your parents are up there in age. I'd recommend trying to focus on making this a trip to make some nice memories with your parents. With that in mind, do *they* want to do all three parks plus Disney Springs?

If they do, then you're looking at hitting just the highlights of each park and maybe going to Disney Springs one evening, perhaps the evening you arrive? If they are amenable, ask them what their favorite rides were the last time they visited and try to hit those. People are reporting good luck with the Refresh method of securing FastPasses in the parks, so all is not hopeless if you can't get FastPasses before you go. I'd also say that, depending on your parents, they probably won't want to rope drop. You're going to be going to a few rides, perhaps a few shows. If the heat bothers them, you can go to Disney Springs and try for lunch there? Or get quick service lunches and then head back to the hotel.

If they don't, then prioritize the parks they like or that you think they'll like, and again, try to hit just each person's highlights.

Either way, make certain that you get at least a few things that you enjoy.

If the crowds are high, you're probably looking at one ride or event per person.

I do feel your pain; I"m going with family soon and most have never been, while the others went over a decade ago and are irritated that I'm trying to plan things. I'm trying to take my own advice and keep repeating to myself, "It's about spending time with loved ones...."

Dh and I and I are 54 and 49 respectively. We may be the age of your parents, I don't know. But we still take his Mom and my Parents every other year..76, 75 and 80. So age is relative until you give us the age range, IMO. If they are our age, 50s-60s then the tech aspect isn't beyond their grasp and you should just be able to explain that things have changed and you have to go with a plan approach to get most things done...need to kinda know park hours, which park, which days and uses of their FPs. They will likely be into shows and less thrilling rides...the old staples in fantasy land and one or two elsewhere. As far as driving two days...well that presents a whole other set of issues that you can deal with one of two ways...pay for your own flight or ride with them.

If they are my parents age...which I doubt because the "tone" of your post, sounds on the mid 20ish side to me( although 2007 CP may make you 30ish)...but the internet makes assumptions sometimes. You have to plan according to what they can physically do...a lot. My Mom has the most physical limitations that the other two, though her pride will not let it show much. So I base my trips with them on them...period. They raised me to cherish these years with them and DH and I are a little slower paced as well. We focus on rides my Mom can do safely and eating out...which they love. It is about the time with us and getting away from the "norm" at home. Anything we do is amazing to them and they usually have a fantastic time. MIL got a little overheated once and my parents had some gastric issues but you get the drift. Dad caught a cold at the end of their last trip with us...as did I.

MIL loves to fly and we love to fly as well. However, my parents do not. They prefer driving due to expense and anxiety of TSA, etc. They just have always lived that way. So our last trip with them we drove down. I had leased a new Cadillac and they were in hog heaven. I make dam sure to treat them like a king and queen when we go. In fact if it weren't for them, I would not be the adult I am today.

I can remember being the person you are and dreading the time it took to travel with them in my 20s...kinda on the cheap side, using a paper map, taking a cooler of food and stopping at the rest area on the way to eat lunch... GEEZ folks can't we just get a burger. It is the gen gap today like it was then...but looking back it was fantastic and those memories are priceless.

It is like I tell the younger patients I treat...at 18 your parents are stupid and don't know anything, and certainly don't know you enough to be giving you their advice

at 23....eh, Mom makes a little more sense but you have to be careful with her "old school" advice and tweak it a bit. Dad is reaching retirement and is well, good ole dad and still is good to ask about money issues.

at 35...Mom is a bit of whimsy and magical and you see her as a oracle of sorts...dad is great and loves to drink a beer with you and reminisce.

at 45...Mom is a wise wise woman who knew you the best all along and just smiles when you ask her questions and is noted for her honesty, loyalty and love. Dad sleeps more in his chair when you visit but is very interested in where you are, the successes you have had and enjoys going anywhere with you to get out of the house.

Please don't loose patience in helping them plan...do it with a glad heart, knowing they won't be there all the time. My FIL had his last trip with us to WDW in 2004, with Cancer and a scooter in tow it was all about him. It was perfect, fantastic, slow and enjoyable. We have a pic of DH and his brother, in sunglasses on either side of the scooter and as his security agents, guarding the surrounding two feet of space and protecting the ankles of others.

Relax, find the joy in planning with them and laughing to yourself when they say and think they can "do stuff" that you know isn't possible. Some of this relaxing comes with age and looking back. You won't be disappointed.

And like PP feel free to ignore my advice...most 30 year olds do...LOL!

It is called a ninja strike---in the park for a couple of shows and timing of FP+close to that then out for a meal. Will make them happy, like it does DH and I.

Disney does take a lot of planning, but 1 idea is if your staying on site and there are things only you want to do and your parents don't want to go as early why not hit the parks alone then meet up at a later time? Or go early as a group then split up later maybe they return to room for a break while you ride then meet up for dinner.

Another option to hit all 4 parks would be to get hopper tickets and hit the highlights together then you could park hop early or late if they are ready to rest

I'm not sure that I agree that Sept/Oct is better than Feb/March now. Maybe September but I think October is competitive with April for being the month with the most busy days at this point.

There's also no reason a last minute, short trip can't be a great time! You just have to go with the right frame of mind. You won't see everything. You probably won't eat at Cinderella's Royal Table or 'Ohana but you can probably eat at Skipper's Canteen or Kona Cafe. You may not have a FP for FoP but you can rope drop it or jump in line 3 minutes before close. It can still be a great time if you don't go in with a defeatist attitude. A last minute quick trip is a bucket list item for me (my shortest planning period has been three and a half months but I want to do something in under 3 weeks).

Disney does take a lot of planning, but 1 idea is if your staying on site and there are things only you want to do and your parents don't want to go as early why not hit the parks alone then meet up at a later time? Or go early as a group then split up later maybe they return to room for a break while you ride then meet up for dinner.

Another option to hit all 4 parks would be to get hopper tickets and hit the highlights together then you could park hop early or late if they are ready to rest

My trouble isn't so much their age or their limited-ness. My trouble is not being able to predict what they can or can not do thus making it harder to plan where and when we'll be at a certain place. We could end up sleeping in one morning or end up leaving the parks early another for unpredictable reasons. There's no way to see what could happen in advance.

We rarely vacation and even rarer do overnight stays outside of staying over with relatives so who knows what it could be like for them outside of home. They might be able to get up early but that really depends on them. I'm optimistic though that it won't take them the entire morning to get ready like it was going to Florida with my friend last year.

Also I don't think they have any major attraction preferences so I will be stuck with planning all that stuff out. I know my mom and I are not thrill ride people so that should make things somewhat easier.

If it's anything like our past drives, we're probably gonna leave early morning before and spend the whole day driving till we get there. I'm worried how much energy that will take out of us. Plus it's a longer drive than we're normally used to so we might have to stay overnight at a hotel somewhere there and back maybe. I'm more worried now about not having our dates figured out cause if we don't do it soon, our best resort options will be sold out.

Who says you can't do a weekend at Disney? You sure can. While you won't get everything in, you can get 2 parks in at least. You can make special memories with your parents. I'm going on 62, my daughter will be 30 this week and we do weekends when ever she gets a chance. I do 3 day weekends alone. I live 3 hours from Disney but a weekend is still a weekend. Your mom is right, you can do a weekend.

I would give anything to be able to go to Disney with my parents again. I wouldn't care if it was a 1 day trip - it'd still be worth it to spend the time with them. So what if you won't be able to do everything YOU want to do! Get over your own wants and do what they want to do. If they have fun and get to experience the "new" Disney, I'd say the trip will be a success. Enjoy the moments and memories with your parents ... they won't always be there to do this with.

I think you can still have a great trip if you reframe your perspective while planning. This trip is what I would refer to as a gift. You are gifting them your time and energy. This trip isn't about your experience at all. I completed a similar trip with my parents in October. My husband had a hard time wrapping his mind around doing Disney any other way than "full speed ahead" and while we didn't get as much done as we usually would, we still made memories and still spent time in our happy place so he still saw the benefit in the end. You will have to determine if they like riding rides or watching shows or roaming around trying new food and shopping. Their personality types will help you make your plan. If they actually like rides then spend a good chunk of time at Magic Kingdom because there are so many options for all levels of ability. If they like watching shows and sitting down most of the day then head over to Hollywood Studios. If they like to roam and shop and eat then hit up Epcot during food and wine fest. We discovered that my parents are more Food and Wine and less Magic Kingdom. The goal is not to go to every park on this trip. Just go to the parks that will appeal to their interests. As far as last minute planning goes, on the same trip we took my parents, my sister and her family decided they wanted to join us 2 weeks before we left. I managed to get her a room at the Polynesian with us, all the same dining reservations, and fast passes, and on the same flight. Disney can absolutely be booked last minute. It will consume a good bit of your time stalking the app for reservations and fast passes but it can be done.

Contrary to popular belief, you can enjoy a trip to WDW without pre-planning everything. It depends on your expectations and your vacation personality.

I think you definitely need to find a way to talk about and merge your expectations and your parents' expectations before you arrive. They may not want to hit all 4 parks and Disney Springs. They may not care about how much they see or how may rides they experience. And if you craft a busy, hectic plan to try to do everything possible, you may frustrate both them and yourself for no reason.

Start seeing this trip as a slower-moving, more relaxed, go with the flow kind of trip. Perhaps make a few ADRs based on a few key restaurants you think your parents would enjoy, and then fill in around those meals.

Plenty of people wind up not using their FPs, so you can always check for available ones in the park based on the times you wind up here or there.

Try to plan your trip around your parents' style of vacationing and don't stress over the planning so much. You may surprise yourself and have a great time even if it's not how you would choose to Disney. :)

I've taken my 80 yo grandmother and years later my 80 yo late MIL. Boy did they enjoy those trips. We rented ECVs in the park most days and just left and retrieved them when wanted to walk a bit.

I've also planned the last few trips at the last minute and gotten all the ADRs we wanted. It's doable! I'd say plan it around them, like you would if you were taking a toddler! (Lots of bathroom breaks!) Enjoy your trip!!

It's been more than 20 years since my parents last went to WDW (this was before Animal Kingdom opened). They last drove to Florida to drop me off and pick me up for the WDW College Program around 2007-2008. We didn't visit parks during that time.

Now my parents want us to do a (short) last-minute trip.

This is frustrating for a number of reasons but the biggest being is that they don't get how much WDW has changed since they last went there. You can no longer just drive down and show up. You have to plan everything ahead of time.

And it doesn't help when it's going to be a short trip. They can't do a whole week. And add on top of that is that they insist on driving again. (All the way from Indianapolis aaaaand there goes two days out of the trip). So all in all, I can't see us doing more than 3 days on their schedule. My mom even said one time that we can just go down there for a weekend. o_O WDW? A 2-day experience??? :rotfl2:

They don't even know when to go yet. The most I was able to convince them was that our previous visits of Feb/March were no longer a good time to go (crowd wise). This will likely be something in late Sept/Oct but even that time period is going to have their busy (unpredictable) spots and chances are very likely that we'll miss our FP+ res window by the time we've settled on dates. Not to mention potential storms that could occur.

It's all frustrating to say the least and I'm likely gonna be in charge of planning because of all the tech involved. I'm past the point we're I've accepted that we're not gonna do everything I want to do there obviously. But how we can get the most/best out of 4 parks AND Disney Springs in only 3 days is the real trick question here. My parents are up there in age so there's not much they'll be able to do anyway and if it's too hot when we go then that creates more problems. And then there's the dreaded crowds and the pricing of well...everything! I feel like there's no relief to be found to even things out here.

I've written this to mostly vent but any additional advice is always appreciated. This is still the planning stages and everything's subjected to change.

It doesn’t have to be complicated and it can be really fun! Get parkhopper with your three day tickets, make your fp’s and be flexible. We often change our park plans and fp’s day of. Make ADR’s day of as well. There’s usually many restaurants to choose from. Let it be a laidback and relaxing trip. It will be much more enjoyable. :thumbsup2

You're right, you can't do the trip you want with those limitations. But you can certainly do the trip they want. I've been in your shoes, not with parents, but on a school trip as a chaperone, where we could not get our tickets until the morning of (limited or no FP's!), where I didn't know which park on which day until 2 months before (goodbye competitive ADR's!), and had absolutely no control as to when we arrived or left, or even where we needed to be during the day (mandatory in person check in with the students, time and location decided that morning.)

So, I stopped worrying about it and decided to just go with the flow. Stop and smell the flowers. Enjoy watching the kids play in the fountains at Epcot, stop and eat at one of the many food kiosks, poke around the many gardens. I had a great time. It wasn't at all the same trip we normally do, but it wasn't worse, just different. And in a way, better, as I'm usually the one with the schedule of where we need to be and when. I just hung out with a bunch of teenagers and followed the crowd. And since 99% of them have never done WDW "the right way" they were thrilled to be doing what they were, and I had fun seeing how happy they were.

I would ask your parents if there is any ONE thing they want to do, be it a ride, a restaurant, a parade. That should be manageable to work with. Try to make that one thing happen, and then just sit back and try to see WDW from a different perspective.

I'm a planner, so I get where you're coming from. I'm planning a trip for 2 weeks from now for my family of 5, plus my father and stepfather. They were just at WDW in January (and have been twice since the last time DH and I were there, point being that they should "know the deal" with the planning). Every time they go, my stepfather is outraged at the amount of planning, and the way my father pouts when it's an hour wait for whatever they want to go on but didn't get a FP for (and of course it's always the ONLY ride he wanted to go on). I couldn't get an answer until last week regarding which (of the only three!!) dining reservations they wanted to be included in, or what attractions they wanted FP for. So, I do see the nonsense that ensues when no one plans anything and expects to just show up and do it all (and these two genuinely do expect to do it all without pre-planning a thing because my stepfather simply doesn't like an "algorithm vacation" as he calls it).

BUT the flip side is that it IS possible to go and enjoy WDW without much planning IF you're not trying to cram it all in. You may not go on everything, or see every show, or get to every park. Even with a lot of planning, it's tough to cram too much into a short trip and there have to be priorities. You may have to pick 2 parks, or skip TS reservations, or make the best of the FP options you can get (I have been able to snag some good ones with 2 weeks to plan so there is hope).

I think it might be overwhelming for them to do this in 3 days since so much has been added and changed and enlarged since they were last there. And driving on top of that is very stressful and tiring. Is there a reason they won't just fly to save time? I understand if they are afraid -- I hate flying and have a fear of heights, but to save a couple of days, I do it. Here's hoping all your plans work out.

As to your comment about how you can't just "show up" anymore and have to plan every little thing -- therein is the crux of what's wrong with Disney. When we first went in 1983, we also drove down, and it was sooooo easy -- literally just show up and decide where you want to eat as the mood struck you. No fast passes, no worries, no big events, etc. Our tickets were paper and we couldn't afford to stay onsite, which back then really didn't matter as they had so few hotels! I miss those days dearly!

I feel your pain. My sister in law went (without asking me any advice) with her 8 year old and her husband this past spring break. For 3 days. Stayed off site. Drove (took the autotrain down and drove back here to Maryland). They hated it.

For starters, I would beg and plead with them to fly down. At least it's less tiring, and saves literally two full days.

I drove once. It was right after 9/11 and so it was pretty much our only option. Never again. Life is too short.

I do agree that you can have a good time and not visit every park. Fall is Food & Wine at Epcot, so they may enjoy that! Yes, you will have to pick and choose, and no you won't see everything. You still can plan some meals and a few FP+ and have a good time. If they call it an early night, and a park is open later, then you could go back and do things later.

I wish you luck! And hopefully convince them to fly and not drive!

Dh and I and I are 54 and 49 respectively. We may be the age of your parents, I don't know. But we still take his Mom and my Parents every other year..76, 75 and 80. So age is relative until you give us the age range, IMO. If they are our age, 50s-60s then the tech aspect isn't beyond their grasp and you should just be able to explain that things have changed and you have to go with a plan approach to get most things done...need to kinda know park hours, which park, which days and uses of their FPs. They will likely be into shows and less thrilling rides...the old staples in fantasy land and one or two elsewhere. As far as driving two days...well that presents a whole other set of issues that you can deal with one of two ways...pay for your own flight or ride with them.

If they are my parents age...which I doubt because the "tone" of your post, sounds on the mid 20ish side to me( although 2007 CP may make you 30ish)...but the internet makes assumptions sometimes. You have to plan according to what they can physically do...a lot. My Mom has the most physical limitations that the other two, though her pride will not let it show much. So I base my trips with them on them...period. They raised me to cherish these years with them and DH and I are a little slower paced as well. We focus on rides my Mom can do safely and eating out...which they love. It is about the time with us and getting away from the "norm" at home. Anything we do is amazing to them and they usually have a fantastic time. MIL got a little overheated once and my parents had some gastric issues but you get the drift. Dad caught a cold at the end of their last trip with us...as did I.

MIL loves to fly and we love to fly as well. However, my parents do not. They prefer driving due to expense and anxiety of TSA, etc. They just have always lived that way. So our last trip with them we drove down. I had leased a new Cadillac and they were in hog heaven. I make dam sure to treat them like a king and queen when we go. In fact if it weren't for them, I would not be the adult I am today.

I can remember being the person you are and dreading the time it took to travel with them in my 20s...kinda on the cheap side, using a paper map, taking a cooler of food and stopping at the rest area on the way to eat lunch... GEEZ folks can't we just get a burger. It is the gen gap today like it was then...but looking back it was fantastic and those memories are priceless.

It is like I tell the younger patients I treat...at 18 your parents are stupid and don't know anything, and certainly don't know you enough to be giving you their advice

at 23....eh, Mom makes a little more sense but you have to be careful with her "old school" advice and tweak it a bit. Dad is reaching retirement and is well, good ole dad and still is good to ask about money issues.

at 35...Mom is a bit of whimsy and magical and you see her as a oracle of sorts...dad is great and loves to drink a beer with you and reminisce.

at 45...Mom is a wise wise woman who knew you the best all along and just smiles when you ask her questions and is noted for her honesty, loyalty and love. Dad sleeps more in his chair when you visit but is very interested in where you are, the successes you have had and enjoys going anywhere with you to get out of the house.

Please don't loose patience in helping them plan...do it with a glad heart, knowing they won't be there all the time. My FIL had his last trip with us to WDW in 2004, with Cancer and a scooter in tow it was all about him. It was perfect, fantastic, slow and enjoyable. We have a pic of DH and his brother, in sunglasses on either side of the scooter and as his security agents, guarding the surrounding two feet of space and protecting the ankles of others.

Relax, find the joy in planning with them and laughing to yourself when they say and think they can "do stuff" that you know isn't possible. Some of this relaxing comes with age and looking back. You won't be disappointed.

And like PP feel free to ignore my advice...most 30 year olds do...LOL!

What a beautiful perspective!

My parents love to rock up in their RV (staying at Fort Wilderness). They do plan & book that part (got to make sure they get a golf cart!), but the rest of it - fastpasses, ADRs - they are not interested in any of that sort of nonsense. They spend a few hours in MK and they're done, and they'll visit Wilderness Lodge and the Poly, head to 'Ohana with no dinner reservation and 14 people in tow in the middle of summer (and actually get seated, though they're happy to wait in the bar till they do)... they totally wing it and somehow get away with it. It would give me headaches & stress but they just have this idea that they'll do what they want to do when they want to do it and it works for them. I don't know if they've ever made it to any of the other theme parks - which IMO would be much more up their alley! - but who am I to tell them how to do their vacations... My dad particularly does not take direction, so it would never happen lol!

The last time we travelled with them, we did two days like this, and then a week later came back for some time by ourselves (we're coming in from Australia). That worked well for us because at the end of the day, everyone loves the magic but we all take different approaches to it, so the second visit we could concentrate on our own favourite things. Loved both visits. :thumbsup2

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter