My issues with the multi-use toiletries

We have not flown since 2004. We have taken the train once and driven several times, so we have been able to avoid the TSA rules.

In April, we will be flying to Arizona to visit family, then California to go to Disneyland for the first time. I’m getting nervous about flying. I remember when flying was fun; you got meals; seats were larger and there was more legroom; and you could pack what you want. Because we need to bring our own toiletries, most of which cannot be purchased at a drugstore, I am really concerned. I’m not looking forward to it.
Check a bag, put the toiletries in the checked bag, problems solved.

For our next trip we are flying and Gwen has already told me that all of her stuff would be delivered by Amazon Prime to the hotel and suggested I add my beloved diet pepsi to the order.

We have not flown since 2004. We have taken the train once and driven several times, so we have been able to avoid the TSA rules.

In April, we will be flying to Arizona to visit family, then California to go to Disneyland for the first time. I’m getting nervous about flying. I remember when flying was fun; you got meals; seats were larger and there was more legroom; and you could pack what you want. Because we need to bring our own toiletries, most of which cannot be purchased at a drugstore, I am really concerned. I’m not looking forward to it.
Toiletries can still go in checked luggage. It honestly isn't that big of a deal.

Toiletries can still go in checked luggage. It honestly isn't that big of a deal.
On topic: we use a combo of hotel products and ones we bring form home.

I mostly like the idea of wall mounted toiletries because it is almost always somehow a bother to find a place to put the toiletries when you are showering that is stable. If it is too low, then the bar soap gets very soggy and soggy bar soap is kind of gross and wasteful. Other times, the showers have almost no space at all, which makes no sense.

I often fly with only carry-on toiletries. It isn't hard, you just have to get travel sized bottles for your liquids/gels, and put them a quart sized bag (one per person).

The only product that gets tricky is spray on sunscreen. Small cans are hard to find. Lotion and chapstick-style sunscreen are easier.

Travel bottle sets are available at every drugstore/big box store for under $10. Most popular/high end brands are also sold in travel sized bottles. Try: Sephora, Target, Ulta. etc.

i use conditioner as shaving cream. even at home. makes life much easier.

Me too, I have used hair conditioner to shave my legs with for as long as I can remember. Works amazing and doubles as a lotion. I have found shaving creams to be very drying and do not work as well as conditioner.

I had no idea that’s all I had to do. All I ever hear is my friends complaining about the TSA limitations. I thought it included all luggage, carry on and checked luggage alike.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Nope, it is just the stuff that you carry onto the plane that has so many limitations. Makes sense because that is what you have access to. I bring full size shampoo/conditioner and just pack it all in my checked bag. I would go to the TSA website and read all about what is allowed and not allowed. That will most likely make it all clear and answer your questions.

I had no idea that’s all I had to do. All I ever hear is my friends complaining about the TSA limitations. I thought it included all luggage, carry on and checked luggage alike.

Thanks for clearing that up.
How funny. It's not unlike how folks zero in on one thing that bugs them with Disney and complain about that when in reality there are lots of ways to fix that problem, if they just looked at the bigger picture.

The TSA can be intimidating the first time you fly. I know, I was right there myself. I think I put everything in my baggie that first time. But really, it's not that bad. The easiest is to check most everything you can, keep what you carry on to a minimum and that is so much better. Plus, it's lighter on you and what you have to carry. Win-win. I think of what I carry on as my emergency need items only. Deodorant, toothbrush, that type of thing. One night, that doesn't even include shampoo. Shocker of shocks I can live one night without washing my hair. It does however, include emergency makeup. I can't live without minimum makeup. LOL

I've heard of people bringing empty bottles and filling them up with the mutli-use to take home, so I am not sure they are really reducing waste either.

Me too, I have used hair conditioner to shave my legs with for as long as I can remember. Works amazing and doubles as a lotion. I have found shaving creams to be very drying and do not work as well as conditioner.
Same here. One of those tips I read way back when I was a teen, in something like Young Miss magazine (if that tells you anything about how long ago it was). It's a great way to get rid of conditioner you don't like. Or just buy the cheap stuff (which is what I usually do)

Nope, it is just the stuff that you carry onto the plane that has so many limitations. Makes sense because that is what you have access to. I bring full size shampoo/conditioner and just pack it all in my checked bag. I would go to the TSA website and read all about what is allowed and not allowed. That will most likely make it all clear and answer your questions.
Thanks!

I bring the full size bottles of my toiletries also. I put them in ziploc bags and wrap a single layer of bubble wrap around each ziploc. They can be further cushioned when surrounded by clothes.

Just left Pop. We used the products. Like OP my daughter was annoyed with placement for her baths. I didn’t mind it as a shower person. We both didn’t like the scent at all. The water dries my hair - they have the worst water for bathing. I had to use a lot of conditioner to combat it. We took small bath poofs to use with the shower gel. I was pleasantly surprised at how securely the apparatus held the bottles - I couldn’t have removed one unless I wanted to risk breaking the whole thing. It was very clean. Also the bottles seemed full. We were there 5 nights in one room and 10 in another and the bottles still seemed full.

Do you know what kind POP is using? I was hoping not to bring my own. I love the H2O Sea Salt. If that's what they have in their bathrooms, I might just keep ours at thome.

I guess I've never even thought to use the provided toiletries. I always bring my own anyway.

Am I in the minority on that?
Nope. I bring the toiletries I use at home on vacation. Never use hotel body wash or shampoo. I do use the hand soap though. I've got sensitive skin and most of them irritate me or the scents are too strong.

Check a bag, put the toiletries in the checked bag, problems solved.

This is what I always do. I have my cosmetic bag and it is placed in a plastic bag JIC, and goes into the extra case that I bring for souveniers.

I always bring my own shampoo and conditioner. The only items I use that Disney provides are the hand soap and body wash.

I'm fine with using any of Disney's toiletries excepting the sunscreen for DGD. Keeping her with the sensitive skin product she uses and of course her face products in the cute frosted green bottles that err I wanted as a teen, LOL.Anything that keeps me from having more toiletry space used in my suitcase than clothing is a good thing in my life.

Same here. One of those tips I read way back when I was a teen, in something like Young Miss magazine (if that tells you anything about how long ago it was). It's a great way to get rid of conditioner you don't like. Or just buy the cheap stuff (which is what I usually do)

See that I've either dated myself beyond you or after. I don't recall that magazine but dreamed of Seventeen, Glamour, and Mademoiselle:D.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter