My files are too big

Califgirl

A girl can dream
Hi, I feel like a fraud on this board because I am just a casual photographer who uses (gasp) a disposable camera.

But, I wanted to be able to add pictures to my posts and I'm trying to figure it out. Out of the pictures I tried to upload, only one was the appropriate size of bytes. Is there a way I can reduce the file size of the other photos so I can put them in my Dis Album and eventually get them in a post?

Thanks for your help! I tried the help button, but I couldn't find anything that pertained to changing the file size of your photo. Can you point me in the right direction?

Most photo editing software packages will allow you to save as a compressed jpeg or gif. These formats squish the data into a smaller file size by replacing pixels of the same color with a smaller version (technically, they just point back to the first pixel of that color). The amount of compression on jpegs can be significant.

I'm not sure which program you are using, but any program that lets you save to multiple formats (Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements) should give you an option to select the amount of compression used. The higher the compression, the smaller the file size. This will not affect the dimensions (length x width) of the picture, just the amount of data stored.

And as for using a disposable, photography is all about capturing light. The mechanism that you use is irrelevant, only the results matter.

HTH

However you change your image size, do it on a copy and not the original, once you have reduced the size there is not going back :)

it to yourself using Outlook Express it gives you the option to reduce the size

If you reduce the size with photo software, be sure to sharpen it a little as the resize will make it a little soft.

Sometimes you can find cool stuff on the Internet that is actually free and works. I stumbled across Visualizer Photo Resizer which is availabe at www.freeimagebrowser.com. This handy little tool will allow you to resize images and has the option to add a watermark to the photo. This is great for creating thumbnails of larger pictures and includes the ability to adjust color and create grayscale pictures from color. You can also use it to make web albums to upload to the web. You might give it a try if you don't already have a photo editing program.

Jeff

Also, if you have Windows XP, you can install these free applications from Microsoft called "Powertoys". Click HERE to find the page. There is one called image resizer that will resize your pictures in Windows Explorer. Like many have said, make sure that you are resizing a copy of your images, not your originals.

I use Picasa2 (www.picasa.com) it's a free photo enhancement/organization software.

It has the option of exporting files for email.... I use it all the time, and I am a Photoshop "expert"

Try it - seriously, it will change how you handle your digital photos!

Wow, thanks so much for all the help, advice and websites. I am low tech, so it will take me awhile to figure all this out. I appreciate all of you sharing your wisdom, and experience with me! I'm looking forward to playing with my photos now! (instead of dreading it!)

Before I started using the "fancier programs" I used a free program called Irfanview for quick resizing. It is super easy to use and can do simple things like resize, sharpen. brighten etc.

:)

Help!! I can't seem to get it to work. I've downloaded two of the freebies listed here and I do not know where to begin!! Also, I have Photo Explosion and I cannot determine how to save a file in such a way as to reduce the file size. I want to reduce my file size to less than 150KB and they are now in the 600s range. Thanks for your help.

TheLionKing said:
If you reduce the size with photo software, be sure to sharpen it a little as the resize will make it a little soft.

Hi,

Do you sharpen before or after you resize?

Jim

Stieber Mom. If you need to resize with Picasa, select the picture, then hit the export button at the bottom of the screen. In the pop up window, click "Resize to" under the Image size options heading and set it for 800 pixels or so. You can try other settings too, but this usually makes an 800x600 less than 150 kb file.

stiebermom said:
Help!! I can't seem to get it to work. I've downloaded two of the freebies listed here and I do not know where to begin!! Also, I have Photo Explosion and I cannot determine how to save a file in such a way as to reduce the file size. I want to reduce my file size to less than 150KB and they are now in the 600s range. Thanks for your help.

with photo explosion you choose edit/ adjust /resize

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter