My Child Gets Sick Every Time We Visit Disney....

Our son's doctor told us to wipe/sanitize everything on the plane- so we are those people. Seat belts and buckles, trays, buttons and armrests...He also said not to use the air blower so we always make sure those are shut above our seats. We use Seventh Generation wipes- still strong smelling but not chemicals and major odor like Lysol wipes.

Mine and dh’s Asthma is much worse at Disney. I’m fine to up my Ventolin, inhaled steroids and oral meds, but dh needs big guns. He cannot go in March due to high pollen counts; he becomes seriously ill, nearly requiring hospitalisation.

In advance of our trips he ups his antihistamines. The dose is extremely high as per his allergist. He uses Ventolin as needed and his inhaled steroid. He needs a nasal decongestant.

I do a thorough wipe down of our villa. He brings his own pillowcase. He showers at the end of each day to get the pollen off of him. This is very effective.

He always has a prescription for Prendisone with him if things get completely unmanageable.

They say Florida is the pollen capital of the world. That isn’t a joke. Google it and you will find lots to read.
We tried a protocol of Zyrtec & inhalers beginning 1 week prior to Disney. I was hopeful but it did not help. I travel with an arsenal of inhalers, antihistamines, pillows & blankets, air purifier and ALWAYS prednisone. I’m so relieved that we can now drive to WDW. We’d never be able to pack all that & get on a plane

I would recommend seeing an allergist and having an actual skin prick test done for environmental allergens. The blood test doesn't reveal as much information as a skin prick test. My daughter is allergic to mold and struggled with asthma until we got a handle on the mold allergy. When we first started treatment she was on two nasal antihistamines, singulair, and a couple inhalers when her asthma would flair up. Five years later, she no longer suffers the asthmatic reactions to mold. Find a really good allergist and hang in there. It gets better :)
I want to take her to an allergy doctor. I know the prick test would have to be done & my daughter hates needles. I know no kid likes them, but it’s just too much for her. My daughter sees pulmonary doctor in June. I know I got to have a sit down with her to try to figure this all out.

I have asthma that is triggered by getting sick. I get sick almost every time I fly. Usually a day or two after I return it starts up. For me I think it's the germs on the plane. Not so much Disney.
I used to think her trigger was a cold coming on but that’s not the case anymore. We’d fly to visit family in another state & she would always be fine. We don’t fly to Disney anymore. We drive.

Try adding in flonase and singular along with the zyrtec and asthma meds. Zyrtec alone does not control the allergies for my two when things get really bad, and controlling the allergies helps control the asthma. I like the idea of bringing a hepa air purifier to run in the room as well. And, make sure to shower after the day is done before bed, to minimize getting any pollen or other outdoor allergens into the bedding.
Will have her shower when returning for the night. That’s a great suggestion.

We tried a protocol of Zyrtec & inhalers beginning 1 week prior to Disney. I was hopeful but it did not help. I travel with an arsenal of inhalers, antihistamines, pillows & blankets, air purifier and ALWAYS prednisone. I’m so relieved that we can now drive to WDW. We’d never be able to pack all that & get on a plane
My allergist has also suggested staying in a camper at Fort Wilderness. If you drive, maybe you could rent one. The thinking is you control the environment. We haven’t tried it ourselves.

In addition to deep cleaning room, my friend’s husband has a terrible allergy to feathers found after numerous trips getting sick. His Doctor recommended requesting a “feather-free” room and now he’s cured.

In addition to deep cleaning room, my friend’s husband has a terrible allergy to feathers found after numerous trips getting sick. His Doctor recommended requesting a “feather-free” room and now he’s cured.

FYI, for our last trip to WDW when talking with special reservations to request the special cleaning from our room, they told me they do not use feather bedding [pillows or duvets] at WDW. I will still always make the request just in case, but it is a good thing to know.

At other hotels, yep for me it makes a massive difference to have a feather-free room. Doesn't solve my issues, but is a significant help.

SW

OP:

These are the things I do when I visit WDW to mitigate against the unique mix that is Florida allergens ... [we live in Canada and visit during winter]. Much of this I also do for any trip. Perhaps some of them may be helpful for your kiddo.

Contact WDW Special Reservations Line: (407) 939-7807 to request a special cleaning/preparation of our WDW hotel room. They have a special form to complete. Be prepared with what you are asking for and why. Search the forums for posts about "VIP Cleaning" and "Allergy Cleaning" to learn more about the request process and what they can do.

Among other things, we also ask for the linens to be washed without fragrance and extra rinsed, and we ask for an extra set of bed linens.

I bring a king size fitted-style allergen barrier mattress protector [I prefer this one as it is high quality, very lightweight, and in a ziploc or compression bag will compress VERY well: https://www.missionallergy.com/prod...ow-encasings/fitted-travel-mattress-encasings ]. King size because that way it will fit any size bed at any hotel -- the bit extra for a queen bed at WDW I just tuck in. Pillows go into king size allergen pillow protectors [I prefer these ones for the same reason as the company's travel mattress barrier: https://www.missionallergy.com/prod...encasings/premium-microfiber-pillow-encasings ]. King size again because then they will work at any hotel. Downside is they are white, so it is important to NOT have housekeeping messing with your bedding. Mission Allergy does make a zippered sham in other colours of the same material which also works well. All pillows on the bed I sleep on get the covers.

We request no housekeeping or only trash removal during our stay.

Take allergy and asthma medications in advance of and during trip as directed by physician.

Have allergy/asthma plan from doctor for what to do if allergies and/or asthma worsen during trip, including having additional medications on hand and instructions for when to start them, when to go to urgent care and/or ER etc.

My normal shower is in the morning, but I take at least a rinse off shower each evening to get pollens and allergens off. This actually makes quite a difference, and I do it at home spring through fall, too.

Finally, I wear a filter mask when outside. I like the Vogmask (https://www.vogmask.com/) and Cambridge Mask (https://cambridgemask.com/) masks. These are the same masks I wear at home when outside, spring through fall and sometimes in the winter [we'll get thermal inversions and things like wood fireplace smoke sitting at ground level]. They make a significant difference vs allergens. However, they take getting used to, they can get hot and uncomfortable [especially in summer weather], and they DO have an impact on oxygen saturation [mine drops a couple percent while wearing the mask]. If you think a mask may be a way to go, I would strongly suggest talking with your child's physician about it before embarking on that path. There are a lot of options, ranging from simple lightweight masks that won't filter much to masks like the Vogmask and Cambridge which are rates N95 or N99 if fitted properly, to 3M medical masks rated N95-N100 [when fited properly, and which fit better, though I don't know if they have child sizes]. Another downside of the masks is people notice them. Sometimes they make comments, not all of which are positive. At WDW most of the comments are kids asking why I'm wearing it :-)

Good luck finding the cause and solutions. Hope your kiddo is feeling better now.

SW

Our son's doctor told us to wipe/sanitize everything on the plane- so we are those people. Seat belts and buckles, trays, buttons and armrests...He also said not to use the air blower so we always make sure those are shut above our seats. We use Seventh Generation wipes- still strong smelling but not chemicals and major odor like Lysol wipes.
are they scented because someone on flight like me could have a scent allergry and have that listed which could mean no to your wipes. and yes for me it could be life or death as I cant breathe, the least that could happen is they have to wait for meds to either clear me or remove me from flight and does take awhile

Is she possibly allergic or sensitive to any foods? Or any food ingredients? People have a tendency to eat differently on a trip than at home. And places like theme parks or restaurants may use ingredients you wouldn't expect in some items. Since some food allergies present themselves by way of wheezing or other respiratory issues, perhaps something is triggering an allergy which then sets off her asthma.

I also echo scents. Certain scents can send me reaching for my own inhaler almost immediately.

are they scented because someone on flight like me could have a scent allergry and have that listed which could mean no to your wipes. and yes for me it could be life or death as I cant breathe, the least that could happen is they have to wait for meds to either clear me or remove me from flight and does take awhile
Yes they re a plant based company, the main disinfectant in this one I believe is thyme oil. Obviously if someone has a life threatening allergy to them they shouldn't be used on a plane, but how would someone know that? On our last trip, the man beside me took out Lysol wipes- which are chemically based and have a much stronger scent...
My child is exceptionally vulnerable to viruses so we have to do what we can.

Yes they re a plant based company, the main disinfectant in this one I believe is thyme oil. Obviously if someone has a life threatening allergy to them they shouldn't be used on a plane, but how would someone know that? On our last trip, the man beside me took out Lysol wipes- which are chemically based and have a much stronger scent...
My child is exceptionally vulnerable to viruses so we have to do what we can.
I know when I fly I have it listed like a child with a peanut allergy and the one parent who planned to use scented wipes was like well my child comes first. but should have heard her when our flight was held at gate for like 45 minutes for the medics to get there and clear me for the flight. she ended up missing her next flight. yes you do what you can for your child but that can have unwanted side affects off longer where you don't want to be any longer that. and honestly I do not know if I would react to thyme oil

I know when I fly I have it listed like a child with a peanut allergy and the one parent who planned to use scented wipes was like well my child comes first. but should have heard her when our flight was held at gate for like 45 minutes for the medics to get there and clear me for the flight. she ended up missing her next flight. yes you do what you can for your child but that can have unwanted side affects off longer where you don't want to be any longer that. and honestly I do not know if I would react to thyme oil
Do you react to perfume? Scented soaps and detergents? Commercial cleaners? I’m trying to figure out how you avoid all of those things in public.

Do you react to perfume? Scented soaps and detergents? Commercial cleaners? I’m trying to figure out how you avoid all of those things in public.
i react to everything you have listed. if someone has on strong perfume in a store I just move away and struggle to breath for few minutes. but that is different than not being able to move away on a plane or in same closed space. I work at a small theme park. I only use a scent free detergent that I have found I do not react to and only that. I have had to be helped out of a store this time of year because of the flowers. manger was worried I would really go down on her shift and reported to office. you do the same as parent with child reacting to peanuts and shopping you are just extra careful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter