My 2nd tale... Fantasy Rd 2, TR Rd 2: NO sea sickness! [Apr '16-East Car.] (Upd Apr19: COMPLETED)

Wow! How exciting! An Asia trip. I hope you do aTR! Are you hitting all three parks? Or I guess I should say locations since Tokyo has two parks. I've read TRs on HK Disney but not on the others!
Yes!! All parks!!! Originally this trip was planned for grand opening of Shanghai Disneyland but timing wasn't right so Wednesday it is!
Yessss I will be doing a TR!! Hoping to do vlogging too but I've never done it before so we shall see haha. Plus I'm only bringing my phone for camera so we will see how long my battery will last throughout a day!!

HI! Just wanted to say that I just finished page 1 of your Trip Report and I am loving it so far! Your family looks like you have so much fun together. We are traveling on the Fantasy for the first time in February '18 so I'm sure this TR is going to help me pass the time...and get more excited (if that's even possible!;)) Thanks for sharing!

-Kelly

PROGRESS UPDATE!!!

Glendon and I got back a little over a week ago, and have been extremely exhausted since coming back. Sorry it's taken me so long to continue but I promise to get a new post up as soon as possible! Plus for those interested in the Asia trip, I'll have a TR set up soon as well too! Thanks everyone for your patience!

HI! Just wanted to say that I just finished page 1 of your Trip Report and I am loving it so far! Your family looks like you have so much fun together. We are traveling on the Fantasy for the first time in February '18 so I'm sure this TR is going to help me pass the time...and get more excited (if that's even possible!;)) Thanks for sharing!

-Kelly
Thanks for following along!!! Glad to hear you are enjoying so far haha. What will your itinerary be like??

Cruise Day 6 [part 2]: Muppets on Deck, Lots of AquaDuck! Lobster Night!

After our nap, Glendon, Michelle, and I decided to head up onto deck. We were hoping that since it was getting nearer to the first seating for dinner, the deck would be on the emptier side so we could actually grab a lounge chair and watch a movie on funnel vision. What luck! We got ourselves seats together in the middle to watch the muppets!

XfxW2js.jpg

This was also perfect timing for us to watch the line die down for the AquaDuck so we could get our ride on!!! Glendon wasn’t feeling the best, so he decided to stay on deck while we had fun so he could help up take pictures!

Here we are! I can’t actually tell who is who in this photo but the sun shining makes this photo look kind of cool
pniBOY2.jpg

(I zoomed in and only way I could tell that the one in front is Michelle is because I have a tattoo on my leg and that leg doesn’t have a tattoo.)​

gHtqkor.jpg

And this photo makes me laugh because Michelle is having SO much fun her feet are pointed straight up in the air
60HAMnw.jpg

After a few ride we went back to finish the movie!
ERkljtl.jpg

iRDULQD.jpg

VaaU9i6.jpg

Then mom and dad came and joined us
(for some reason mom took this photo and laughed at dad’s face)
Xztx5gT.jpg

Perfect timing… once we finished watching the muppets movie… IT WAS TIME TO CATCH THE SUNSET!!!!
Glendon and Michelle decided they wanted to take advantage of the empty deck to play some more basketball, while mom, dad, and I popped up onto deck 12 to watch the sunset!

We parted ways… and when I turned back to wave at Glendon and Michelle look what I see!!! Captain Hook is walking around on deck! And Glendon and Michelle look like his stalkers.
bCe9iZS.jpg

So up onto deck 12…
The sunset was basically right in front of us!

Almost time!
xyiMUw5.jpg

Mom and I tried to take some nice “standing with the sunset” photos but it was soooo windy
TJaewxA.jpg

cnxHfex.jpg

Dad was smart, he waited behind the glass. So he could also sit
iTAOtUg.jpg

But for real though… what a view!
B4bkKW2.jpg

“Sun! Don’t leave us!”
zVq5sZD.jpg

THERE SHE GOES!!
qqDgosa.jpg

And just like that… PLOP she’s gone =O
uODvndN.jpg

Literally in a span of 9 seconds, the sun touches the horizon and then it’s over and gone. Watching the sunset on the Fantasy ended up being a really special thing for me. I think for my mom too. Growing up in Edmonton, we don’t actually get to see a lot of sunsets. In fact, I’d never actually WATCHED that moment when the sun goes over the horizon. I’m really glad I got to share that with my mom. She used to talk about watching sunsets in her childhood all the time. Anyways, she basically got super giddy every time she got to see the sun rise and the sun set. It was really cute.

Here is a video of the moment the sun set!

After that it was time for us to head back to the room to get changed for dinner. For alas, it was Captain’s Night! (Which means… we knew it was lobster night!)

Here is a photo of mom and dad in front of one of the “window displays” in front of Enchanted Garden
Xg65tAO.jpg

And here they are sitting nicely inside
UCSX8jM.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of the menu, so here will be a series of photos of our food for the night. Long story short… We all got lobster. Glendon and mom even got TWO lobsters. (plus our appetizers too)

VieZJ3m.jpg

70e5MAA.jpg

OZqiriw.jpg

Y9DFGtp.jpg

VBJPIxG.jpg

9T4mN49.jpg

Maybe… this day… our eyes were being naughty and twice now were too big for our stomachs. Appetizers AND two whole lobster tails? We still had to save room for dessert!!! (We ate everything anyways.)

Mom and dad stayed to have their dessert in Enchanted Garden, while the three of us kids left to go up to Palo to enjoy our soufflé that we didn’t get a chance to eat last time!!

They didn’t give me a dairy-free option last time, so I was super excited that I got to have my own version!
pb0S9e1.jpg

We also each got a shot glass of limoncello
Em3KxyD.jpg

After dessert we just went back to the room to get ready for bed. We were excited for our day at Castaway Cay!

Tonight’s bed friend and sleepy time chocolates:
4ChY03d.jpg

And to end this day’s post… Here is a photo from my mom’s phone of DAD on our verandah after dinner. I think she thought he looked snazzy.
MgdWvUv.jpg

Up next… Our day at Castaway Cay!!!

Last edited:
Snazzy dad! Oh my gosh, your parents are so cute, they slay me!! :love:

Love that time of late afternoon/early evening. The deck is quieter, you can catch a flick by the pool and as you so beautifully photographed - a gorgeous sunset!

Can you believe we booked Palo dinner on the same night as Captains Gala? :sad2: oh man.......ah well, another reason to keep cruising, right? Gonna get it right some day lol

Snazzy dad! Oh my gosh, your parents are so cute, they slay me!! :love:

Love that time of late afternoon/early evening. The deck is quieter, you can catch a flick by the pool and as you so beautifully photographed - a gorgeous sunset!

Can you believe we booked Palo dinner on the same night as Captains Gala? :sad2: oh man.......ah well, another reason to keep cruising, right? Gonna get it right some day lol
Hahaha it took me until I was an adult to really appreciate the love my parents have for each other.

It really is such a nice time of day! Originally we were a little bit bummed that we couldn't get first seating for dinner (we wanted first seating so that we could eat dinner earlier... then have late night snacks after before bed :rotfl2:) but turns out for our family, second seating is PERFECT. Because we don't have any young ones with us that need to eat earlier... AND sunsets every night haha. Timing of our days seemed to work out better than if we had an earlier dinner

Ahaha, live and learn. At least Palo dinner is delicious!

Your parents are too cute!

Dinner looked great, the Lobster looked good.

Glad they were able to make you a special souffle. It looked really good!

Love Castaway Cay pics, can't wait to see yours! That place and Palo Brunch is a big reason why I need to get myself on a DCL cruise someday. (when the price doesn't scare me away, I've been on many cruises just not DCL)

Your parents are too cute!

Dinner looked great, the Lobster looked good.

Glad they were able to make you a special souffle. It looked really good!

Love Castaway Cay pics, can't wait to see yours! That place and Palo Brunch is a big reason why I need to get myself on a DCL cruise someday. (when the price doesn't scare me away, I've been on many cruises just not DCL)
We've been jamming as many adults into one room as possible to make the costs smaller per person than booking two separate rooms haha. We don't mind since the rooms aren't terribly small, and the separate bathrooms make a big difference.

Cruise Day 7 [part 1]: Finally… Castaway Cay! (Morning of, docking, Serenity Bay)

Fiiiiiiiiinally it was our Castaway Cay day! Originally, Glendon, Michelle and I all planned on signing up to run the Castaway Cay 5K… but I don’t know if you could tell, yet, from our eating habits… that we didn’t actually REALLY want to. Anyways, ended up being a good thing we didn’t, because due to unforeseen circumstances, docking was delayed. Which meant everyone that signed up for the run would be running laps on Deck 4 instead. Ahh, good decision! (I don’t even like running, I just thought it would be run to get the rubber medal at the end… I especially don’t like running in a loud crowd… so lapping on the ship just sounds awful to me.)

ANYWAYS! Mom and dad woke up earlier than we did, and they had an earlier breakfast. (Another reason we were glad to have not signed up for the run… we totally slept right in.) They messaged us on the app to tell us to hurry up for breakfast if we wanted to eat at Cabanas, because it was really busy. If we were on schedule, technically we would have already docked and most of the ship would have left to go onto the island already. But since there was the the delay, tons of families ended up having a slightly later breakfast like we had planned.

Mom and dad weren’t kidding, it felt like it was at least 5 times busier than what we’d experienced every other day at Cabanas. Luckily we got there when mom and dad were just finished eating so we took over their table. There wouldn’t have been an available table otherwise!!
BUnGAvR.jpg

Since it was a smaller table, mom and dad left when we started to eat. They wanted to finish their coffee, but since it was so busy, decided it would be nice to enjoy their coffee on our verandah. We joined them, too! We thought it would be cool to watch the actual docking process instead of waiting by the exits to get off the ship with the masses of people

k072KyG.jpg

sZYNd3w.jpg

Here we come!!!
ALpn9WP.jpg

It takes a lot of people to do this!
jO7jITZ.jpg

NirRncs.jpg

I wish I got a close up video of it all happening, it’s really quite cool watching the ropes get tossed and pulled up
E6TAhq3.jpg

hbbMjKQ.jpg

Wow! Every single one of us were really intrigued by the techniques of docking a boat hahaha. Once the announcement came on that we were docked, we decided that was a good time to head down to head out!

Here we are again, with that view of my favourite AquaDuck!
vJkAfm1.jpg

bpTyoV9.jpg

Walking on the island. A building
yJ31cFR.jpg

We decided that we wanted to spend most of the our time on Serenity Bay, so we decided to head that way. It was already a pretty hot day… so we took the tram haha. The family beach was already pretty packed!

When we got to Serenity Bay, we saw a couple of hammocks and we thought how amazing it would be to snag one!!! Alas, they were all taken. But look who we ran into right as we turned around!

JACK SPARROW!
fSBWLuc.jpg

I can’t imagine how it must’ve been to walk around the beach in pirate boots and long pants. We were only there for a few minutes and already all I wanted to do was jump in the water.

We got ourselves a group of lounge chairs.
sXSaV6L.jpg

Crooked photo of our view
g8k0Xcd.jpg

And the other direction
GTfmdnW.jpg

And the beach!
IAAWDg1.jpg

7D8Tfb2.jpg

Up Next... Playing on the sandbar!!!

Cruise Day 7 [part 2]: CASTAWAY CAY! Sandbar adventures!

From here, we decided it was time to hit the water!!! (All these upcoming photos are from my GoPro. I don’t have the most expensive GoPro so the photos aren’t the best quality.) From where you are on the beach, you can just see the sandbar out in the ocean!! We decided that was what we wanted to do: wade out to the sandbar! Mom was hesitant about swimming out since she’s not a strong swimmer (she’s a doggy paddler!) so mom and dad waited back and watched people head out.

VNZ179c.jpg

Haha you can just make out mom and dad right as they’re entering the water!!! They decided to venture out!
WSLwxrB.jpg

(They’re the ones in the middle just to the right of the pylons right in the middle of the photo)

ON THE SANDBAR!!!!
42VMDEX.jpg

59QahwI.jpg

TFRqqyG.jpg

Who would’ve thought that sitting on sand in the middle of the ocean could be so fun? We really enjoyed ourselves with just sitting around and splashing at the water. A little bit of floating and wading. Plus there were loads of seashells around!

P8iRhac.jpg

BUp6IPo.jpg

Plus look who ended up making it out to join us!
GzSgJMs.jpg

They’re so cute. They actually thought it was SO COOL that sandbars exist and mom kept asking us “but how come there’s a pile of sand in the middle of the ocean??? I can SIT here!!”​

While mom and dad were happy to sit on the sandbar, Michelle and I decided to try and get some cool “floating in the ocean” photos again. (Glendon was loving sitting on the sandbar as well, as the water was warm and the sun was shining. I don’t think he thinks anything is more relaxing!)
Anyways… here are Michelle and I’s bloopers. Only bloopers because we did not succeed in getting a “cool” photo

tKEbKmk.jpg

ElnYumE.jpg

T7swbDG.jpg

At least we had a good laugh haha.

I think this photo is funny, because at first glance whose arm is holding the camera?!
vPYf7Fa.jpg

One of the best things about the sandbar is that my dad was comfortable having my mom that far out in the ocean away from the beach. She was having a blast, and no one ever felt unsafe at any point in time. Michelle and I were the only ones to swim further out, but we knew my dad would begin to get uncomfortable with us wandering out too far, so mostly we stayed close by. We didn’t mind, we had my ridiculous goggles for us to look at the water, and we were having so much fun! (Originally I wanted to rent some snorkel gear and swim around the snorkelling lagoon. I was obsessed with the idea of finding Mickey and Minnie underwater as I didn’t make it out far enough to find them last time!!! BUT no one wanted to snorkel with me, and since I wanted to spend time with everyone, I decided it was okay to swim around Serenity Bay with my goggles.)

LOOK!!!!! We found a starfish! We’ve never really taken a close look at starfish before so we thought this was so cool.

aAzkSw9.jpg

GSdCHtO.jpg

HVJkLu1.jpg

We also found this thing
lne4LN9.jpg

Otherwise most of our area was mostly this!
E4co0Se.jpg

While there wasn’t exactly too much to look at in the terms of fish and ocean life in the water at Serenity Bay, it was its own kind of special. Something about knowing that there are literally only the amount of people from the cruise ship on this little island right now (and the workers of course)… kind of makes it feel like it’s YOUR own personal private island haha. Maybe I’m just ridiculous.

Yes… I think I must be ridiculous. Because look at these photos I took with our new starfish friend.
nx2weqM.jpg

yeMJ9qj.jpg

With those goggles on, these photos definitely fell into the “tried to look cool but failed” category! What a nerd :rotfl2:

Up Next… lunch at Serenity Bay BBQ, Pelican Plunge, Dinner at Royal Court

Last edited:
Looks so beautiful! I've only seen starfish in aquariums, but we can usually find sand dollars at the beaches around here. I've tried to pick some up before while collecting shells, but they smell quite bad :faint:

I like your starfish pictures and I don't think the goggles make you look "uncool", but I was a swimmer and grew up wearing goggles like that.

Looks so beautiful! I've only seen starfish in aquariums, but we can usually find sand dollars at the beaches around here. I've tried to pick some up before while collecting shells, but they smell quite bad :faint:
Ahhhhh, now I know they are called sand dollars :rotfl2:
Glad I didn't try to pick them up!!

I like your starfish pictures and I don't think the goggles make you look "uncool", but I was a swimmer and grew up wearing goggles like that.
I grew up a swimmer too, and only one in the family haha. I just think underwater photos with circular goggles look sillier than the giant snorkelling masks

Cruise Day 7 [part 3]: Lunch, Pelican Plunge, Packing, Last Dinner

One last starfish photo:
hU27Qsb.jpg

After playing on the sandbar, we decided we wanted to go for lunch. I had technically pre-ordered food the night before so that I wouldn’t have to worry about dietary worries… but in order for me to pick up I would have to go to I think… Cookies 2? (If you have allergies and are worried about eating on the island, you don’t have to worry. They will take care of you for lunch!!)
But we didn’t really want to go all the way to either of the Cookies for BBQ, we wanted to have Serenity Bay BBQ. I’m pretty sure it’s mostly safe for me… I reeeeeeeally wanted a hot dog and a hamburger.

Menu!
PxVXHT8.jpg

I got my hamburger and hotdog!
eV042QF.jpg

Mom got the steak and ribs (ate her salad and started on meat before she remembered to take a photo)
hFJneLi.jpg

I like the Serenity Bay BBQ. It’s still on the adults only area so we don’t have to worry about dodging kids for snacks. (This isn’t really a huge issue for us, we like kids haha. But sometimes you just want some snacks for yourself!!) LOTS to choose from… chips, cookies, ice cream, fruits.
After lunch, Michelle and I decide to go and ride the slides at Pelican Plunge!

Views!
RZkpcml.jpg

Ocean views with the Fantasy in the background
EJQiZlw.jpg

More views of Fantasy
yjFjmbR.jpg

You can see from the first photo that the family beach is quite busy at this time of day. After sliding the slides we decided to head back to Serenity Bay because Michelle wanted to relax on the beach for a little while. Glendon and I swam around the water a little bit longer (we couldn’t see the sand bar anymore! The tide had come in!!) And then we went to wander the island a little bit, while heading back to the ship.

Wandering Oaken’s
CukICY2.jpg

Then we found the frozen drink stand
8Y6rfBW.jpg

I can’t quite remember what it is we ordered, but it was tasty
LSi4ZVs.jpg

Heading back to the ship, there are shower areas to wash off all the sand on your body. And your feet too!
Q8hUOet.jpg

And once again… my favourite view: The AquaDuck!
YF4H2tQ.jpg

Another view! And exterior washers
M1M6dal.jpg

Back on the ship, Glendon and I quickly ride the AquaDuck once (no line!!!) and then went to go pack (PACK?! We don’t want to go home!!!!!!). Then apparently we were much more tired than we had thought, because we both passed out for a nap. Rest of the family came back and they packed, and everyone fell asleep all the way until dinner time. Oh my.

Here are some of mom’s photos from when they came back from the island: (she likes to use the zoom function on her phone haha)
eoQfzmk.jpg

VbuRe3X.jpg

yrT9cFn.jpg

FdRyQue.jpg

We may have missed sunset? Or else mom wasn’t able to get good photos. I’m not sure which, as I just don’t have any of photos of sunset. But I do have this!

318vZjN.jpg

I think this was the closest we got to another cruise ship, so we thought it was kind of cool.​

Then it was our last dinner.
KCHn2H3.jpg

I loved the bread basket, so I had to have a photo with it.
98cZzmo.jpg

(Can I please take this with me so I can use it as a fruit bowl?)​

Mom and I both forgot to take a photo of the actual menu, and turns out we forgot to take photo of who ate what as well. I think the tuna and salmon are mine. And no idea who had the other stuff haha.

hY9YwQo.jpg

RNOkKAm.jpg

pL5wVeV.jpg

P9w5yQZ.jpg

This was mom and dad’s dessert
qA0oCJz.jpg

And Glendon and Michelle both had this!
QJd7wSV.jpg

I got an assortment of fruit… but I’m not a fan of melons so I ate all the berries and then forgot to take a photo so this was the end result
h37mbkg.jpg

(Is there even a point in taking a photo by this point? Haha)​

Then we went back to the room for the night… dad and Michelle wanted an early night so they both went to sleep. Mom, Glendon and I decided we would go to Guest Services to take care of all our charges and do our last wanderings around the ship

Our bed animal friend
BJPyA9J.jpg

To Come… Farewell Show in the main atrium! Last shops walkthrough. Last ship photos.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts