Multiple UY reservations

Matty B13

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if it is better to transfer in all the points from multiple contracts with different UY's into one contract for a high point reservation...... or keep the points separate and just book the days individually and then link the reservations together?

I'm pretty sure that you are only allowed one transfer per year.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm pretty sure that you are only allowed one transfer per year.

I know that, but I was wondering when making a reservation is it better to transfer the points first in to one contract/UY...... or just book it separately.

Transferred points from a different use year do not show up in your online account even though you have them, and as a result you must call to make a reservation using such transferred points. Thus, the disadvantage is that you lose the ability to book online exactly 11 or 7 months out at 8 a.m., and instead must wait until 9, and that delay can for some room categories and times of year be deadly to getting the reservation.

If instead, you do separate reservations, you have the issue of two different 11 (or 7) month out issues, i.e., you use one use year to reserve some nights 11 months out and then have to wait those number of days to make the second reservation using the other use year, but you still reserve the 8 a.m. advantage for both. Moreover since you cannot mix the points from both use years to make any single night's reservation, you may have issues having enough points in one to get all the nights you want.

Thus both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. I have two use year's and personally never use the transfer method when I want to do a reservation using both use years, but instead make the two separate reservations and then send an email to MS to have the two reservations linked, which results in not having to change rooms. But I usually do it not because of the 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. issue, but instead because hold times on the phone waiting to speak to someone have become too long and because I often just make reservations late in the evening after MS is closed.

Last edited:

Transferred points from a different use year do not show up in your online account even though you have them, and as a result you must call to make a reservation using such transferred points. Thus, the disadvantage is that you lose the ability to book online exactly 11 or 7 months out at 8 a.m., and instead must wait until 9, and that delay can for some room categories and times of year be deadly to getting the reservation.

If instead, you do separate reservations, you have the issue of two different 11 (or 7) month out issues, i.e., you use one use year to reserve some nights 11 months out and then have to wait those number of days to make the second reservation using the other use year, but you still reserve the 8 a.m. advantage for both. Moreover since you cannot mix the points from both use years to make any single night's reservation, you may have issues having enough points in one to get all the nights you want.

Thus both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. I have two use year's and personally never use the transfer method when I want to do a reservation using both use years, but instead make the two separate reservations and then send an email to MS to have the two reservations linked, which results in not having to change rooms. But I usually do it not because of the 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. issue, but instead because hold times on the phone waiting to speak to someone have become too long and because I often just make reservations late in the evening after MS is closed.
Assuming both set of points were 11-month or 7-month contracts (i.e., not a mix) couldn’t you do a hybrid booking where you transfer the points, book online with the points you can see for the first few days of the reservation and then call in to extend that reservation using the other points you transferred in? Doesn’t save you from the wait times obviously, but it would allow for the 8am advantage and longer booking.

If you own both memberships, you may get unlimited transfers. I don't think that's a rule but folks have gotten that.

Also to consider...not only do you need to call MS to book with transfer points but if you end up cancelling and then go to book something else....you have to call MS again. I recently had that situation. And the new resie took less points so I still have 25 transfer points to use. I have to keep track of that since they won't show online in my dashboard. Ugghhh. A pain. So I say book separately and link.

If you own both memberships, you may get unlimited transfers. I don't think that's a rule but folks have gotten that.

Also to consider...not only do you need to call MS to book with transfer points but if you end up cancelling and then go to book something else....you have to call MS again. I recently had that situation. And the new resie took less points so I still have 25 transfer points to use. I have to keep track of that since they won't show online in my dashboard. Ugghhh. A pain. So I say book separately and link.
Unless it's changed, it's not quite that flexible. Normal rules apply except when it is the only way to make things work like a DCL reservation or to combine points for a single night.

I dunno...I have always heard DVC allows unlimited transfers between memberships owned by same owner. I don't know if this counts but just this spring I transferred 25 from one contract and 25 from another, both in my Aug UY, to my June UY. I know policy is one transfer in OR out per UY but I have always, for years, read that they allow multiple if you own the 2 memberships.

I dunno...I have always heard DVC allows unlimited transfers between memberships owned by same owner. I don't know if this counts but just this spring I transferred 25 from one contract and 25 from another, both in my Aug UY, to my June UY. I know policy is one transfer in OR out per UY but I have always, for years, read that they allow multiple if you own the 2 memberships.
I have done it several times and it's always been case by case. AND it uses the one in or one out for each contract so if one is going to try it and do an external transfer, do the external one first. It also varies with who you get on the phone so calling back can be helpful.

As often, it depends on who you talk to at MS. We transferred once from one of our UY's to the other, they checked to see if we had transferred once already. The points were not visible in our account which required us to call MS to use them. The CM that we called to book AKV CL didn't know how to access the transferred points and as a result the availability was snatched up by someone else while the CM was talking to team line. We will never transfer again.

As often, it depends on who you talk to at MS. We transferred once from one of our UY's to the other, they checked to see if we had transferred once already. The points were not visible in our account which required us to call MS to use them. The CM that we called to book AKV CL didn't know how to access the transferred points and as a result the availability was snatched up by someone else while the CM was talking to team line. We will never transfer again.

Yeah, last night I called in to modify and use transferred points and she took a long time that I too was afraid I'd lose the room. And once she had it set, it took forever to go through...she kept saying 'it's spinning and spinning....hmmmm, taking a long time, just spinning' that I worried I did lose it. But luckily it went through. And these were points I used for another resie that I modified to a lesser point resie so back they went in my account. Oh, and they use borrowed points before transferred...wish it were the other way to get rid of the transferred over the phone and then have the borrowed to use online. But, nope. I won't ever transfer again either. Another time, SIL transferred me some June 2016 UY points that I wanted to bank and use in June 2017. I called to book and got a CM who swore you couldn't bank transfer points....which you can. I pulled up rules from website and read them and then she even pulled them up and was dumbfounded but she could not bank them and swore it couldn't be done but didn't have an answer why. So I have to change my plans and book in May (memorial weekend) which cost me more in airfare and was too close to DDs graduation AND our move to another state (all in May). I should have hung up and called to get another CM but was too lazy. Anyway....transfer and 2 UY have been nothing but trouble for me. Will just stay in the lane from now on (with my points and future reservations).

This thread has me curious, I have a question if I may. We have a BWV contract, looking to add-on or purchase another BWV resale with same UY. If i have 2 at the same resort, same UY can i merge them to make a reservation at 11 months or would I need to balance them and have 2 ressies?

This thread has me curious, I have a question if I may. We have a BWV contract, looking to add-on or purchase another BWV resale with same UY. If i have 2 at the same resort, same UY can i merge them to make a reservation at 11 months or would I need to balance them and have 2 ressies?

You pick which or both contracts to use for the single reservation. Do you need additional BWV points for BWV stays?

As long as purchasers names on the deed are exactly the same as the names on the orginal membership, Disney will put the contract under the same membership, essentially as an add-on, and you will be able to combine the points for any reservation and any one night of that reservation when doing a reservation online. However, when doing the purchase make sure that Disney is informed by time of closing that the purchasers are already members (usually brokers take care of that but sometimes things go wrong).

You pick which or both contracts to use for the single reservation. Do you need additional BWV points for BWV stays?

Yes, we only stay at BWV and with our kids getting to be older, we no longer can pull them from school so our trips are using more points so a add on is becoming necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter