Motion Sickness Bonine (Available on property)?

apxstitch

Mouseketeer
I wasn't sure where to post this question, I am coming down from Canada and would like to know if I can purchase Bonine or Dramamine anywhere on property? I don't really want to take time to Uber over to a drug store to purchase some, it's only a long weekend trip. Both are not sold in Canada but I've heard wonderful things so I'd like to give it a try. Has anyone else gone to a First Aid station for motion sickness?

Fellow Canadian here - can't answer your question, but wanted to say that I am 99% sure that Dramamine is the same base ingredient as Gravol. Just marketed under different names (Gravol isn't available in the US). Bonine is apparently a non-drowsy version of it. I pack Gravol with me but find the regular Gravol makes us (DS and I) sleepy. I find the Gravol 12H much better and have no issues with sleepiness.

You can get Dramamine, I believe. At the parks you’ll have to ask at the check out counter because they don’t keep OTC drugs out. You can also buy it in the resort gift shops & it is kept out in the open there. And there are drug stores that will deliver for a fee, but probably much cheaper than Uber or taxi!

If you are worried about the drowsiness factor, I have found taking the anti-nausea medicine at bedtime the night before really helps and I'm the type who can get motion sick going up 1 floor in an elevator.

if you would like to have the Bonine/Dramamine for the ride from the airport to the parks...consider checking out one of the stores in the airport on your way out. usually they sell them there too.

if you would like to have the Bonine/Dramamine for the ride from the airport to the parks...consider checking out one of the stores in the airport on your way out. usually they sell them there too.
Don't know why I didn't think of that, thank you :)

Fellow Canadian here - can't answer your question, but wanted to say that I am 99% sure that Dramamine is the same base ingredient as Gravol. Just marketed under different names (Gravol isn't available in the US). Bonine is apparently a non-drowsy version of it. I pack Gravol with me but find the regular Gravol makes us (DS and I) sleepy. I find the Gravol 12H much better and have no issues with sleepiness.
Gravol does nothing for my motion sickness when it is bad, all it does is make me fall asleep. I am interested in trying Bonine on my next trip but I might take some non drowsy Gravol with me too.

Dramamine® Original Formula has the same active ingredient as original Gravol - Dimenhydrinate 50mg. See https://www.dramamine.com/motion-sickness-medicine/dramamine-original-formula

Dramamine® All Day Less Drowsy has the same active ingredient as Bonine - Meclizine HCI 25mg. There is currently no equivalent for sale in Canada because although meclizine is allowed to be sold in Canada no company is currently marketing it in Canada; the last one to do so stopped a number of years ago. See https://www.dramamine.com/motion-sickness-medicine/dramamine-less-drowsy

OP: the above links include pictures of the packages, so you know what to look for in stores. I'm pretty sure I have seen it in WDW resort hotel gift shops -- if not on the shelf, ask as they may have it behind the counter or in the back.

If you can't find it at the airport or hotel, an option is Turner Drugs ( http://turnerdrug.com/ ). The cost is higher than buying it yourself at Walmart, but there is no minimum order cost and their delivery fee is reasonable. They do same day deliveries within a few hours during their delivery window. We used them during our last trip for some medical supplies and medication we couldn't get through other services and were quite pleased with them. They delivered to the front desk, but there was no $5 fee from the hotel.

SW

Dramamine® Original Formula has the same active ingredient as original Gravol - Dimenhydrinate 50mg. See https://www.dramamine.com/motion-sickness-medicine/dramamine-original-formula

Dramamine® All Day Less Drowsy has the same active ingredient as Bonine - Meclizine HCI 25mg. There is currently no equivalent for sale in Canada because although meclizine is allowed to be sold in Canada no company is currently marketing it in Canada; the last one to do so stopped a number of years ago. See https://www.dramamine.com/motion-sickness-medicine/dramamine-less-drowsy

OP: the above links include pictures of the packages, so you know what to look for in stores. I'm pretty sure I have seen it in WDW resort hotel gift shops -- if not on the shelf, ask as they may have it behind the counter or in the back.

If you can't find it at the airport or hotel, an option is Turner Drugs ( http://turnerdrug.com/ ). The cost is higher than buying it yourself at Walmart, but there is no minimum order cost and their delivery fee is reasonable. They do same day deliveries within a few hours during their delivery window. We used them during our last trip for some medical supplies and medication we couldn't get through other services and were quite pleased with them. They delivered to the front desk, but there was no $5 fee from the hotel.

SW
This is super helpful, thank you for posting. Maybe now I can see if the motion simulator rides still make me feel queasy ;)

You may also want to try sea bands. I don’t know if they are sold in Canada but I wear them on flights as a just in case. They look like little exersize bands with a little white nodule that presses on the acupuncture point to relieve nausea. They are worn on the wrists.

You may also want to try sea bands. I don’t know if they are sold in Canada but I wear them on flights as a just in case. They look like little exersize bands with a little white nodule that presses on the acupuncture point to relieve nausea. They are worn on the wrists.
Thank you, I will look to see if those are available.

Thank you, I will look to see if those are available.

If you have bad motion sickness I’d try them along with Dramamine or bonine. I have bad flight anxiety so I wear these and I take Dramamine which usually makes me tired. I don’t really get motion sick aside from the teacups and my husband spins it as fast as he can. :/ (I don’t feel sick i more feel very dizzy) my 4 year old couldn’t walk straight when she got off of them.

I have episodes of vertigo (started about 5 years ago) and discovered on my last trip that motion simulator rides (as well as the tea cups) are triggers. I've always been good on any rides prior, even the extreme roller coasters but it's been a long time since my last theme park visit so I didn't realize it would trigger the dizziness. I don't suffer from the nausea too bad but I just wanted to be prepared for my next visit and see if being proactive helped. There were a couple of days were I just felt off and wanted to know if there was anything I could do about it :) Thanks to everyone for their help! I really appreciate it.

This is super helpful, thank you for posting. Maybe now I can see if the motion simulator rides still make me feel queasy ;)

I use a combination of:

- Seabands [the actual band name ones, which have clinical testing behind them]; they are available in Canada -- see well.ca or your local pharmacy may carry them [they may also have knock-offs not the brand name, so check];

- Dramamine Less Drowsy [purchased in the States]

- Gravol or Dramamine ginger tablets/capsules [standardized dose and manufactured in pharmaceutical grade conditions]

Can still feel a bit queasy, but it is mild and tolerable, and Mission:Orange is still not an option, but it makes it doable. Even cruising is possible :-)

SW

I have terrible motion sickness, from many things. I can get motion sick in a pool or bathtub, lol. I take Bonine, which is meclizine HCl (25mg). It works far better for me than Dramamine, and makes me less tired. Can you order Bonine online from Amazon and get it delivered in Canada? The other thing would just be ask your doctor to write you a prescription for it. That's what I usually do and it's significantly cheaper! I also take the pill when I go to bed; it lasts 24 hours, so I get a lot of the "sleepiness" effects while I am actually asleep!

Last summer, I took Bonine AND got a scopolamine patch so I could ride Flights of Passage, but it was not to be. Within the first few seconds I knew I was going to have problems, so I just kept my eyes closed and held on. Fortunately FoP doesn't move much, so I was OK. When the ride stopped occasionally, DD would say "Mom open your eyes!" The vistas were truly stunning, but the second the film started moving again, I had to close my eyes. Oh well... it was fun, but I won't do it again.

In Canada, compounding pharmacies can make the same medication as Bonine, called meclizine. You will need a prescription from your doctor to get meclizine, but it's easy enough to get here before you go and bring it with you.

In Canada, compounding pharmacies can make the same medication as Bonine, called meclizine. You will need a prescription from your doctor to get meclizine, but it's easy enough to get here before you go and bring it with you.

This is a great idea! Bonine is definitely much better than Dramamine... I just bought some more today for my trip next week! Technically the less drowsy Dramamine is also meclazine, but it still makes me tired and Bonine doesn't!

Good luck!!

When you arrive, look in the airport shops... I think that I have seen it there...

As well you can do a Insta-cart order with Publix, and have then deliver to your resort....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter