• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monterey Bay Aquarium Sharks

seobaina

DIS Veteran
Hi

Random question. I'm a big 'great white shark' fan and I know they used to have a captive one at the monterey bay aquarium (well two actually). I know both have now been re-released but can anyone tell me if they have anything about them there still - from exhibits to merchandise. I'd like to go to the aquarium but it's whether we make this a priority on a tight time schedule or just a poss.

Thanks

No White Sharks currently on display at the aquarium, sorry. And no major displays either, the aquarium is a great place to go but if the only thing that interests you is the White Sharks it's not really "worth" it. That said we have a family membership and we do enjoy weekend visits. We love the current Seahorse display, the jelly fish, the outer bay area. Overall it's a really fun/neat place to go, but if your only focus would be the shark then it's not worth it.

As for merch, we don't normally shop while we are there but I'm sure you can find shark merch at the aquarium.... :)

I work at MBARI, and while we share a name and funding source (David Packard and the Packard Foundation), not to mention sharing a chairman of the board (Julie Packard), we are actually a separate legal entity. So normally I would have no more insight into this question than any other "local".

But we have a visiting researcher from MBA here now, and I ran into her at lunch, so I asked your question.

Pixie is correct that there is no great white currently on exhibit. It's a hit-or-miss thing. But this researcher did indicate that there's an ongoing great white project at MBA. They have some pens in the ocean in which they attempt to catch a young great white for display. And she indicated that there's a talk in the auditorium (she thinks daily) in which this program is discussed. Indeed, when I look at the daily schedule here, today's schedule (Monday 8/17) is showing a talk on the subject at 11:30, 2:30, and 4.

She also believes that there is related information and merchandise in the gift shop.

HTH,
Bob

Press release from the Monterey Bay Aquarium:

MONTEREY BAY AQUARIUM PUTS ITS 5TH YOUNG GREAT WHITE SHARK ON EXHIBIT

The only institution to exhibit the ocean’s top predator has successfully returned four others to the wild

For the fifth time, the Monterey Bay Aquarium has placed a young great white shark on exhibit, bringing her from Malibu to Monterey this afternoon (Wednesday, August 26) just 14 days after she was collected by aquarium staff off the southern California coast near Malibu.

Monterey Bay Aquarium remains the only institution in the world to exhibit a white shark for more than 16 days, and has documented the successful return to the wild of each animal kept on exhibit.

See http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_whiteshark/whiteshark_ours.aspx

Hi GrandBob from another local. On here looking up info on our Yosemite trip this weekend and are off to the Aquarium today to see the shark :-)

ooooohhhh I hope so much that she's still there when I go on the 25th. Keep your fingers crossed for me please!!! And thank you for the info! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter