MMRR ride experience? *sensory sensitive*

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
just wondering if anyone can tell me if runaway railway has any effects that would bother a sensory sensitive child? such as loud noises or 4D effects, are the ride vehicles the sane design as great movie ride? or is this a bumpy all over the place ride?! any periods of pitch darkness?

we are at wdw now visiting and tomorrow is our Hollywood Studios day. We've done MK and AK so far and DD6 HATED It's Tough to be a Bug and was scared/upset by the wind and water effects on Philharmagic. We purposely haven't watched a video for MMRR because we want to be surprised about the content but I'm realizing that's not been a great idea for DD6!

Along the same line what kind of 4D effects are in MuppetVision 3D? I'm not sure if we should attempt it but she might be ok if she knows what to expect. It doesn't help that the past two days we forgot her noise cancelling headphones!! I have them packed and ready for tomorrow

I may be missing some things from memory so I may not remember all:

This an attraction is a lot of animation moving along side the vehicles and 4D scenes. There is a “crash” scene with fog that guest watch, then pass through to move through to loading. The load area seems to hold noise well and seem a bit loud. The seats are similar to GMR, being “pulled” by a train. It seems at times to be a bit louder than others. The vehicles do move around in spots, including spinning and going in various directions.

Scenes include:
Carnival area with tornado/wind; waterfall; loud construction area; dance studio

I may be missing some. As long as the car movements are not a problem, it is cartoony enough for most to be okay other than the loudness of the attraction.

While my sister was alive, we had to watch any new attraction to see if she could handle or someone had to ride first to determine if there was an issue she might have. Basically, I gave up on surprised for anything I was doing with her. We needed to know what we might encounter so we could have successful trips.

I just saw this post and don’t have time for a long response, so I’m adding these images from this WDW website resource
905ED197-9BFF-4AE2-9A29-B73D797DE34D.jpegAEDB4C80-726B-4A2A-8D0D-D0917068894D.jpeg
One additional thing with Runaway Railroad is just before the end, it looks and sounds like you are going to be crushed by a huge dropping metal crusher. That point was where my daughter lost it.
The ride cars are not like the Great Movie Ride; they are small ‘train cars’ with bench seats that seat about 3 per bench. They are slippery and the only thing holding guests in place is a shared lap bar. Depending on the size of the other guests, smaller guests might slide around a lot.

thank you! we took her headphones and she mostly liked it. she didn't like the wind effects or the part where you "dance" with Daisy but other than that she was mainly ok. I think the headphones really helped because it dulled the noise and helped her be more able to deal with the motion and effects since she wasn't already being overwhelmed by noise

The first thing that comes to mind for MMRR is the construction scene, I hate it, like makes the entire ride worse for me. It's a really loud, continuous grinding noise, and the ride car shakes a bit with it. I do think noise cancelling headphones would help a ton, though! Haven't gotten the chance to try it with them yet.

There's also some "dancing" which I'm sure was intended to feel smooth, but the ending of it is pretty jerky.

Overall I'd definitely describe MMRR as a pretty all-consuming sensory experience, if that makes sense. There's no 4D effects, but there's at least one pretty dark room, and the rest are very bright, filled with tons of things to look at, and large. It can honestly feel really overwhelming, which is probably partially on purpose, because it makes the end scene feel very peaceful. I do think it's a different category than both tough to be a bug and philharmagic (because no 4D effects) and with noise cancellation would probably be tolerable if not enjoyable for them!

Muppetvision is super tame in comparison to those as well! There's one water scene, but it's short and quick (when Fozzie's got a flower, you'll know). There's also bubbles that come out, a cannon that comes out of the back wall, some smoke that goes mostly around the sides of the theater, "fireworks" on the ceiling (lights). The one thing that I think could throw off a young kid might be Sweetums coming out - he's similar in size to the other fur characters at Disney, but a kid unfamiliar with the muppets might be a little wary of his design. He just walks back and forth in front of the audience, but it might be worth googling a pic to show before the show. Muppetvision is great and super cute though! As someone who also notoriously can't stand tough to be a bug, including for some sensory reasons, I love muppetvision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter