Mizner's Lounge Temporary Closure and Expansion

sotoalf

DIS Veteran
For fans of Mizner’s Lounge at Disney’s Grand Floridian resort, their favorite tucked-away nook/lounge will soon be closing… but thankfully, it’s for a refurbishment and expansion. Mizner’s Lounge last underwent a refurbishment back in 2012.

Commander Porter’s, Grand Floridian’s menswear shop, will be closing on April 4th to make room for the expansion. Summer’s Lace, the women’s shop downstairs will be remodeled to house both men’s and women’s apparel.

Those needing to get their lounge fix at the Grand will have to settle for a temporary lounge by the Garden View Tea Room on the first floor, where they’ll be joined by the temporarily displaced Grand Floridian Orchestra<

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/mizners-l...ing-for-refurbishment-and-expansion-in-april/

I'll miss Commander Porter's, where I've bought a couple of (expensive) shirts over the years, but it was the least crowded of the GF's stores, and Mizner's badly needs the space. I've never thought the GF had a lounge commensurate with its flagship status anyway.

DH will be unhappy to hear this. He shops in Commander Porter's every trip and buys at least one shirt. We never really liked Mizner's Lounge much so he will be even more unhappy to hear that the lounge he doesn't like is taking out the shop he does. Hopefully the refurb and expansion might make the lounge better and maybe we'll like it enough to make up for the loss. Also, I hope that they'll have be able to have a decent men's selection in the shop downstairs. I never really thought much of the women's clothing there.

Nice to hear Mizners is epanding. has been very crowded anytime we have been there. Love sipping on a drink listening to the Jazz band.

I’m also excited about this. Mizner’s is one of our favorite spots. Seems like a long refurb (April until “fall”) ... I wonder what they have in mind. Would be nice to see an expanded menu of small bites.

This is a long overdue and welcome expansion ( for us anyways ) - we love catching the Grand Floridian Orchestra.

I hope it reopens by November 5th. We are staying at the GF for the first time and having a nice lounge to hang out in is an important part of our resort stay.

Commander Porter's was a nice throwback to the Vacation Kingdom days when we expected resorts to be one-stop shopping (remember the beauty parlors in the Polynesian and Contemporary?).

Yet I never saw anyone beside a couple men buying a bathing suite here, a Tommy Bahama shirt there. Summer Lace downstairs, by contrast, was always hopping.

Meanwhile Mizner's looks outdated and small. .

We have a reservation for Garden View Tea Room during a summer trip. I'm trying to envision the temporary set up on the first floor. Any opinions on whether this could have a negative impact on the tea experience? I'll postpone it until the following trip if so. We've never done the tea and I'd like the full unblemished experience.

The rumor is that it will be re-themed after the live-action version of Beauty and the Beast. Not looking to ignite the “kids in lounges debate” but seems like an odd theme for a bar/lounge. An outdoor patio is rumored as part of the expansion... that I’m excited about.

The rumor is that it will be re-themed after the live-action version of Beauty and the Beast. Not looking to ignite the “kids in lounges debate” but seems like an odd theme for a bar/lounge. An outdoor patio is rumored as part of the expansion... that I’m excited about.

Wow, that's odd. Like the lodge scene with the Gaston song? That doesn't fit - at all- with the theme of Grand Floridian. I think that would be a big mistake.

I don't care if a child is in an "adult" lounge at a the hotel, but geez, does it need to be themed for the kids too?

I'm interested to see what the plan is. A nice outdoor patio would be lovely.

I'm hoping that is just a rumor and nothing more. Considering Mizners has generally been more of an adult place, that rumor doesn't make much sense unless they are trying to make it more kid friendly. Also, it seems like that style of lounge would be much noisier which could hurt the band.

What I'm getting out of this is that the new theming will be based on Beauty and the Beast and in that I see yet another princess encounter. If that's the case I don't see the change being good at all. Disney does have a knack for screwing things up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter