Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Congratulations!! Sorry it sounds like the race was difficult for you, but that’s still a great time! And that mental toughness to never quit is really important and worth really giving yourself credit.

Thanks! I'm really happy with my time, especially considering the difficulties I had, and I'm really proud of myself for not giving up and for making it to the finish (and not only that - I finished running! Once I made the last turn, I didn't let myself walk at all, because I knew I could finish running)

Way to go on persevering!
Can’t wait to hear more about it- I was thinking about you this morning!
I think running when you want to quit is one of the most difficult things in this hobby.

Thank you!
I was actually thinking of you too - turns out there's a Dunkin Donuts around the corner from Yankee Stadium that I just never knew about, so I could have gotten coffee. But I still waited until I got home. Maybe if it had been a Starbucks I would have stopped for coffee :)

---

I don't think I want to do a full recap for this, but mini-recap will be coming soon.
Also, registration for the lottery for the 2019 United Airlines NYC (which is also the period for me to claim a guaranteed entry) starts on October 18th.
This should help:
upload_2018-9-30_13-11-2.png

My House. My F***ing House. - New Balance Bronx 10 Mile Mini-Recap

44105195195_bcc28626b9_c.jpg

This morning I was actually feeling good. I knew I'd have to work for it, but 1:45 was definitely very possible.

44105194285_2a27766dcf_c.jpg

I got to the race over an hour before it was scheduled to start. I hate doing that. But whatever, now I know for next time not to schedule the Uber (or Lyft, actually) so early. As 8am got closer, I got more and more nervous. Around 7:30ish I dropped off my bag and started heading for the start. I got there with plenty of time to spare, and lined up next to the 1:45 pacers. And waited. And waited. The race, which I thought was supposed to start at 8, started shortly before 8:15.
I had eaten my gel about 5 minutes before the race was scheduled to start (aka 20 minutes before the actual start), and set up my GPS shortly after that (all that was left was pushing the button). I was also drinking water, partly because of my nerves, and partly because I was bored. At one point I looked at my water bottle and realized that I had had about 12 oz of water already - way more than I usually have before a race. I felt like I was going to vomit, and while I thought it was just because of nerves, I still didn't love the feeling.

Anyway ... I eventually was headed towards the start line, and ... I realized I had to pee. Badly. I'd never used a port-a-potty before in my life, so I was about to have a new experience in about a mile or so. Spoiler Alert: Not a fan. But before we get to the port-a-potty, I have to cross the start line and start my GPS. Except when I go to start my GPS ... my Garmin has been waiting so long that it exited out of the activity screen. So I have to push the button again and wait for it to find GPS (which it did fairly quickly), so I didn't end up starting my GPS until at least 0.1 miles into the race, maybe more. So now both my time and distance are wrong, but thankfully my plan was to pay attention to the pace more than anything else, so I was okay.

When I got to the port-a-potty line, which was a little further into the race than I thought, I was actually ahead of pace. I knew that I was going too fast, but I also knew that I was going to lose some time from my pit stop, so I was okay with that. I went into my pit stop with an average pace around 10:10. I came out with an average pace around 11:37. Yes, this was early in the race so any stop was more likely to have a big impact on the pace, but that was a lot to make up. I knew I had to do my best, though, so I just went back to running.

But I couldn't. I couldn't do my best. I don't want to go through a blow-by-blow, mostly because I don't want to remember it, but also because a lot of it has blurred in my head. I walked a lot. I cried a lot. At some point either right before the mile 3 marker or between the mile 3 and 5k markers I considered pulling myself off the course. But somehow I just managed to keep going. I stopped at every water stop. At the third water stop, I took a cup of Gatorade (which I never do). It seemed to give me a boost, so I figured I'd do that every other water stop. I was doing okay, not great (and by this point I had fully switched over to 120/30 intervals, with some extra walking thrown in), but ... my throat kinda felt like it was closing up a little and breathing felt weird. As we turned onto Moshulu Parkway I considered stopping at medical, but I was feeling really good other than the throat, so I kept going. Stopped for my second Gatorade and the throat got worse ... realized it was probably because of the Gatorade. So ... I probably should have gone with nothing new on race day.

Anyway ... I just kept going. Running (and running at a good pace) when I felt like I could, walking when I didn't want to run.

I had texted @jennamfeo pre-race because I was super nervous. She texted me back at some point during the back half of the race that I was doing awesome. I texted her back that I almost DNF'ed and I felt terrible (not my exact words), but I was going to finish ... and just saying that to someone made me feel even more determined to finish. I kept walking more than the intervals told me to, I kept stopping at every water stop, but I tried to run as much as I can, and once I turned the last corner, I just started running hard and didn't let myself stop. I wanted to stop, but this was running towards Yankee Stadium. The House That Replaced The House That Ruth Built (aka The House That George Steinbrenner Built). This is My House. My F***ing House. I just kept repeating those two phrases to myself and ran as hard as I could towards that finish line.

44105192735_b707aa68ea_c.jpg

Official Time: 1:56:28

This isn't the result I wanted. I'm still not entirely sure I know what went wrong (and honestly, I don't know that I want to know what went wrong, I just want to put this behind me). But for the day I had, that time is pretty damn awesome.
(And I did somewhat enjoy the race, and would consider doing it again next year if the scheduling works out)

44105191875_02d766b75d_c.jpg

By the way, in case anyone wants to know how I really felt about this race, here's a summary of a conversation between me and Coach @DopeyBadger:
Him - What can you learn from this that you can take into the next race?
Me - I don't want to talk about it ever again.

Yeah, it's that bad. I'm done with this race. On to the Staten Island Half and marathon training.

In the spirit of not talking about the actual race ever again, I'm curious. How have you made it this far in life without ever using a port-o-potty?

They are the worst.

And I'm slightly jealous you've never had to use one before now.

In the spirit of not talking about the actual race ever again, I'm curious. How have you made it this far in life without ever using a port-o-potty?

They are the worst.

And I'm slightly jealous you've never had to use one before now.

There was a close call last month, but mostly I just try to hold it in. I don't know how I manage to do it since I have a tiny bladder and pee about 15,000 times a day. Apparently it's a special race talent I have.
Now that I've experience port-a-potty ... I will do my best to avoid it in the future.

Oh, also ... for the Staten Island Half, I was thinking about just bringing my little water bottle and mostly relying on course water stops. After today ... I'm definitely not bringing my big water bottle for that one. Not sure if I'm gonna bring the little one or do the course water stops only. Just counted on the map and there are 10 water stops ... one almost every mile. I have to decide if I think that will be enough for me (this matters because it also affects which belt I wear).
But no Gatorade (there will be Gatorade, but I will not drink it).

Last edited:
This isn't the result I wanted. I'm still not entirely sure I know what went wrong (and honestly, I don't know that I want to know what went wrong, I just want to put this behind me). But for the day I had, that time is pretty damn awesome.
(And I did somewhat enjoy the race, and would consider doing it again next year if the scheduling works out)
I know that feeling well from my Giant Race. I am so proud of you for fighting through to the finish and not quitting.

I wasn't able to put the negative from the Giant Race behind me as quickly as I wanted to. In fact it took me a few days and probably boring coach with multiple recaps of my challenges from that day before I had it out of my system. While I hope you can put it behind you in the exact way you want, I support you if you wind up needing to sort through the frustrations and write them up here. Or write them up and never share them anywhere. Or not write them up at all. Move on from it in the way that is best for you.

And again, good job!

What happens at the Bronx 10-miler stays at the Bronx 10-miler. Let us not speak of it again!

Kx0S.gif

:D

But, I will say this...

Your outfit is adorable and I love your finish picture!!

WOO! I am glad I woke up when I did and I saw that text from you. I frantically went to the NYRR tracker to see where you were (I kind of thought you were done because me trying to do math without coffee does not work) and when I saw you were at 8.5 miles I sent over my encouragement!

Not every race will be a good one. We learn and move on to the next. ONE MORE RACE AND THE NYC MARATHON IS YOURS!

I'm sorry that the race didn't go as you hoped, but I have to applaud you for pushing through and still coming out with an awesome time! Yes, 1:56 wasn't your goal, but that's impressive, regardless.

Love your post-race photo with your medal.

And I, like everyone else, am jealous of your porta-potty avoidance!

I know that feeling well from my Giant Race. I am so proud of you for fighting through to the finish and not quitting.

Thank you!!

I wasn't able to put the negative from the Giant Race behind me as quickly as I wanted to. In fact it took me a few days and probably boring coach with multiple recaps of my challenges from that day before I had it out of my system. While I hope you can put it behind you in the exact way you want, I support you if you wind up needing to sort through the frustrations and write them up here. Or write them up and never share them anywhere. Or not write them up at all. Move on from it in the way that is best for you.

I've actually been thinking about it a little, but not much. There were a few comments to Coach about it before the "I don't want to talk about it!" But mostly I think I'm okay not thinking about what went wrong. It is what it is.
I might change my mind in a few days, though :)

And again, good job!

Thank you again!

Great job pushing yourself to finish!

Thank you!

What happens at the Bronx 10-miler stays at the Bronx 10-miler. Let us not speak of it again!

Kx0S.gif

But, I will say this...

Your outfit is adorable and I love your finish picture!!

Thank you! I really loved that post-finish photo op!

Great job finishing on what sounds like a challenging day.

Thanks! It was definitely a challenge, but I did it!

Way to push through! You are so close to that guaranteed entry and I am so excited for you!

Thank you!
One race away from guaranteed entry ... it's crazy. I can't believe I'm doing this!

WOO! I am glad I woke up when I did and I saw that text from you. I frantically went to the NYRR tracker to see where you were (I kind of thought you were done because me trying to do math without coffee does not work) and when I saw you were at 8.5 miles I sent over my encouragement!

I totally get the no math before coffee situation. I wasn't sure if I'd finish before you woke up, so I was definitely pleasantly surprised to get the text, and it really helped!

Not every race will be a good one. We learn and move on to the next. ONE MORE RACE AND THE NYC MARATHON IS YOURS!

At this point I'm a little more excited about one more race for guaranteed entry for the NYC Half, but yeah, marathon too.

Cute skirt! Way to get it done girl!!

:banana::banana::banana:

Thank you! That's one of my favorite skirts (well, all of my skirts are my favorites) and I always love wearing it!

I'm sorry that the race didn't go as you hoped, but I have to applaud you for pushing through and still coming out with an awesome time! Yes, 1:56 wasn't your goal, but that's impressive, regardless.

Thanks! I'm definitely happy with my time, especially considering the race I had - even when I had 1:45 as my goal, I knew I'd be happy with anything under 2 hours, and getting that on a day when I walked almost as much as I ran was pretty amazing!

Love your post-race photo with your medal.

Thanks! I really loved that photo op!

And I, like everyone else, am jealous of your porta-potty avoidance!

In hindsight I'm trying to decide if I should have tried to hold it in for another 9 miles to keep my streak going ... but that probably would have been a terrible idea.
At least now I know why I hate port-a-potties instead of just hating them on principle.

Things I Need To Do Before the Staten Island Half:

1 - Finalize marathon plan (in progress - Coach sent over a draft on Sunday, I'm looking at it now)
2 - Pay off at least part of the balance on my trip

3 - Book my Universal Hotel/Tickets
4 - Book my flights!
5 - Take my new shoes in to the running store for insoles (and possibly to have them relace them)

Also ... SI Half Outfit Update:
Long Sleeve Weather - NYC Skirt, white shirt
Short Sleeve Weather - Black Skirt, INKnBURN Kaze Shirt

Last edited:
For the record ... I took a 3 hour nap today. It is now 1:30 am and I cannot sleep.
This is not going to be very good for the "stop snacking like someone with the munchies" life change that I was planning on starting tomorrow (well, technically later today).
... But more on that when we get to marathon training.

Hi All,
I'm thinking of starting a running Instagram to help give me an extra layer of accountability for marathon training.

Will you...
A) Definitely follow!
B) Definitely not follow.
C) Possibly follow.
D) Follow, not because you're interested in my training but because you love following instagram runners
E) Follow, but expect me to get bored with it after about 3 runs
F) Not follow because you know I'll get bored with it after about 3 runs

(for the record, the correct answers are either E or F ... but I'm curious how people feel about following yet another random runner on Instagram)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter