• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Military Mail?

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
I am just wondering what mail time frame is there between packages, mail, etc?
I mailed a package Friday after work. First Class: the cost would have been just over $30.
For parcel post I paid just under $20.
At the post office they told me in this case there wasn't really any difference really between parcel and first class, since it was being sent to an APO.
We were confused too, because the zip code was to the east coast. But he told us the package would go from Omaha to Chicago, and from there go by military transportation.
Just wondering how military mail works.

I have an APO address with a NJ zip code. What happens is the US Postal Service delivers all of my mail to a military facility in NJ from there the military takes it and transports it overseas. First Class and Priority mail will go on the plane first, if there is room left over than the lower class mail will go on, if there is no room it will wait until the next time. Also, the only mail to go by plane is first class letter mail and packages weighing under 15 #, any package over 15# goes by boat. So yes, sometimes you can pay the lower rate and your package will arrive in the same amount of time as first class, however, there are times when it will go the longer route.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that info tiggerlover. I just sent my package Priority Mail and it weighed 14.2 lbs! The postman said that it should take a total of about a week to week and a half.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get something back?

I've been sending a package a week to my son for the past 8 weeks. I've been using Priority Mail - mainly because it's only about $3 more than Parcel Post.

The way the postal clerk first described it to me was that Priority Mail will get it to the FPO box in California in two days - and that Parcel Post would take a week. Once it gets to the FPO location, it is out of the hands of the U.S. Mail and into the hands of the military.

Based on my son's letters, it appears that packages are taking close to 4 weeks. Letters get there in about 2-3 weeks.

Remember too, if they have moved north into Iraq, letters will get to them, but packages will sit at the base camp until they return.

Hope this helps.:D

Patty,
I am glad to hear that those in Iraq are still getting letters. My Dh has only been gone for 2 weeks, and I just sent his 1st package last week. It is hard because the Post office is closed when I get home. I mailed the first letter today, and am going to start mailing them one a day from now on. I guess since we have been writing by e-mails each day, that I figured that was better. You all have made me realize that I still need to write him. I can imagine the excitement of getting mail.

Thanks everyone!!

They told me Dh's package would go to NY and then it was in the Military's hands from then on out.

Melanie

MelanieC...are all of the soldiers capable of receiving and sending email?! I never thought that was even a possibility. Hummm!

Luckymommyx2, I don't believe that most of the soldiers currently have access to email. This morning was the first time that my dd's bf was able to get through to call and he also said that email has been set up. As long as he remains at an established base he should be able to call and email but as a rule the military that have moved into Iraq cannot do either one.

So, unless they are the base camp they won't get their packages for however long it is before they return?

I'm mailing my packages anyway, I hope it doesn't takes more than a month for Maquichia to receive them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter